• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 will launch in 2014.

angelic

Banned
Without wanting to derail too much, I definitely think it's a 30fps franchise, if that makes sense. I like the feel of the game in 30fps..and it has had 6 entries into the series at that framerate. 60fps just costs too much in losing things like dynamic physics..i dont think there'd be any more crazy bouncing crates and havok stuff that cause such hilarity in multiplayer. Just like i think SOTC should run in 30fps...but i really don't want to open that can of worms.

Gestault

Lowest player numbers
General consensus on the gameplay and the direction Halo 4 took the series was poor

Its not looking good right now.

I'm someone who's enjoyed the series from very early on, and enjoyed many of the novels as extensions of the fiction, and I really, really enjoyed Halo 4. On a technical level, it was one of the showpieces of previous gen, and it did things in the narrative which changed the direction of the series in an interesting way. That said, without the story setup from Thursday War, I would have enjoyed it less.

Without wanting to derail too much, I definitely think it's a 30fps franchise, if that makes sense. I like the feel of the game in 30fps..and it has had 6 entries into the series at that framerate. 60fps just costs too much in losing things like dynamic physics..i dont think there'd be any more crazy bouncing crates and havok stuff that cause such hilarity in multiplayer. Just like i think SOTC should run in 30fps...but i really don't want to open that can of worms.
How do you know that such a loss will be incurred now?
And frankly, wasn't a lot of the exploration / campaign map breaking lost in recent titles anyway, with death barriers and solid invisible walls?
I'm someone who's enjoyed the series from very early on, and enjoyed many of the novels as extensions of the fiction, and I really, really enjoyed Halo 4. On a technical level, it was one of the showpieces of previous gen, and it did things in the narrative which changed the direction of the series in an interesting way. That said, without the story setup from Thursday War, I would have enjoyed it less.
But surely you see that the narrative in 4 is messy, at best? They had big intentions clearly but almost everything other than the Chief and Cortana felt like an awkward misfire.

Jawmuncher

I'm certainly more excited after finishing Silentium yesterday, it restored a bit of faith.

I just started reading the books. There's so many but i'm bound to be done before Halo 5 releases. I want to be in the know this time and not slapped in the face wondering what the hell was going on like in 4....Though that was the least of that games problems. Still i'm hoping that 5 can bring me back all the way as a fan. I still love the universe but for me the last enjoyable game after Halo 2 was Reach. Both 3, ODST, and 4 disappointed me.

jem0208

How do you know that such a loss will be incurred now?
And frankly, wasn't a lot of the exploration / campaign map breaking lost in recent titles anyway, with death barriers and solid invisible walls?

Death barriers suck. I used to love exploring the lake in Delta Halo. That level was awesome.

Gestault

But surely you see that the narrative in 4 is messy, at best? They had big intentions clearly but almost everything other than the Chief and Cortana felt like an awkward misfire.

With Thursday War, I consider it quite good. Without it, the initial premise would be confusing. The impact of the ending relied on some emotional cues from the Greg Bear books. Not messy, but not self contained. Like I said, as someone familiar with the narrative context, I loved it.

Jawmuncher

H

This is something I hope they fix with Halo 5. The exploring was part of the reason why I loved the earlier games so much. Sure I shouldn't be jamming a warthog into a tunnel full of covenant but because I could it added so much more to the gameplay. In an odd way it made it feel more like I was in control. Playing the later titles and having my vehicles are exploring hampered by invisible walls and the likes was just sad. Killed part of what put the game on the map personally. Can't think of anyone who played Halo 1 and 2 and didn't at least attempt once in awhile to use the physics to their advantage on getting somewhere.

With Thursday War, I consider it quite good. Without it, the initial premise would be confusing. The impact of the ending relied on some emotional cues from the Greg Bear books. Not messy, but not self contained. Like I said, as someone familiar with the narrative context, I loved it.
Karen Traviss is garbage.

jem0208

This is something I hope they fix with Halo 5. The exploring was part of the reason why I loved the earlier games so much. Sure I shouldn't be jamming a warthog into a tunnel full of covenant but because I could it added so much more to the gameplay. In an odd way it made it feel more like I was in control. Playing the later titles and having my vehicles are exploring hampered by invisible walls and the likes was just sad. Killed part of what put the game on the map personally. Can't think of anyone who played Halo 1 and 2 and didn't at least attempt once in awhile to use the physics to their advantage on getting somewhere.

Yeah, getting the scarab gun was one of the best moments in Halo for me.

I wish it was fall 2015,i wanted 343 to have more time after Halo 4. Then again Halo 2 was suppose to be 2003 and got delayed,still a possibility for Halo 5.

Gestault

Karen Traviss is garbage.

I've seen that opinion a lot on the Amazon book reviews. So far I'd disagree, but I think I'll wait to make a stronger assertion either way until I finish Glasslands. I enjoy the introspective, self critical writing in sci-fi military drama. I think it's more interesting than outright narratives about ground/space battles, which may be part of it.

vcc

I don't think you understand what 60 FPS is.

It literally can't change the gameplay, but makes the visuals smoother.

Since your pushing out twice as many frames they have to make choices about level complexity, draw distance, image quality, and resolution. On the XB1 especially the trade off is going to harsher to get to 60fps. Halo has been a game about solid arena multi-player and narrative heavy spectacle single player. 343 killed the multi-player and focusing on 60fps single player will make them have ot make some trade offs in spectacle; although it'd still look great I'm sure.

Ithil

This new Halo is promised to run at 60fps, that's going to take some impressive engineering. Halo should be 30fps anyway, it's deviating even further away from the franchise. Some very strange decisions being made.

Let me get this straight. It should have a worse framerate because the previous games had a worse framerate?
Perhaps they should forgo anti-aliasing too.

Glad they cleared this up, it's been annoying seeing people post that it wasn't confirmed for 2014. Can't wait to see where 343 take it from the end of H4 and how MC copes without Cortana, plus give the levels that traditional Halo openness.

Only speaking about the SP campaign, whilst I liked Halo 4, it is my least favourite out of the series (still better than most other console FPS though). Sacrificing the openness of Halo for the graphical jump was the wrong move imo and they should have released another spin-off instead. I'd have like a game based on Karen Traviss's books, which would reveal a bit more background on why Storm Faction exist (which would also better explain why Humanity were seemingly fighting the Elites again), why both sides turned up on Requiem, ONI's motives, and a bit of a pre-reveal for The Didact. It would also have provided a close up look of Sanghelios and allowed 343 to tell the story from both sides (like Halo 2).

Still, I think people's claims of the franchise not being able to return from the "low's" (most other developers/publishers would kill for those numbers) of Halo 4 are ridiculous and now that 343 have the hardware, I think we'll see a great Halo game.

Halo 4 would've been better as a Xbox One launch (window) title, imo.

No it wouldn't since it would not take much advantage of xbox one's power. Also it is not smart in terms of business to already launch your biggest ace in the deck. It's better to wait since systems will sell anyways.

Sojgat

It is rather depressing that looks over gameplay would tempt you to get exited for it.

I didn't mean it in that way. A trailer that was just the 343 team speaking to camera about knowing where they messed up with Halo 4, would get me even more hyped.

I'm having trouble believing this will be a quality Halo title after Halo 4 and considering that they're pumping this out so soon already.

I think 4 was the rushed out title, so maybe Halo 5 will be a pleasant surprise.

They havent released the name yet since they dont want to spoil the surprised that it is a cross over game. It is going to be Halo X Prince of Persia.

#TRUTHFACT

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's not rushed. After Halo 4, they need to win back fans big time.

Well given that H5 was Corrine Yu's swan-song before her departure, I'm pretty sure 343 will have a great engine capable of achieving the frame-rate bump, whilst keeping the things in that make for that classic Halo feel.

Grisby

I'm a bit tepid myself. The story in 4 felt like a 'why did we even bother situation.'

I mean, I enjoyed 4's action as it was pretty decent halo action but I'm hoping for something more on this outing.

It's a shame they don't spin off products in the series. I could use another halo wars or odst.

Caayn

No it wouldn't since it would not take much advantage of xbox one's power. Also it is not smart in terms of business to already launch your biggest ace in the deck. It's better to wait since systems will sell anyways.
Halo 4 was rushed, this was even admitted by some of the devs, and as evidence by the final product. Simply meaning that more dev time would've helped the game.

Halo 4 was rushed, this was even admitted by some of the devs, and as evidence by the final product. Simply meaning that more dev time would've helped the game.

I know more time is good but not at launch,it still was developed years ago when xbox one hardware was not even finalized. Also the game would have turned out bad regardless if it was rushed. The story and others stuff were in place and no time will fix that. A new start like now is the best bet.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But so many of Halo 4's problems were by design. All the major multiplayer changes were intentional. Perks, load outs, kill streaks, random ordnance, the new CTF, etc. No amount of time would have improved things if that's the direction they wanted to go.

But so many of Halo 4's problems were by design. All the major multiplayer changes were intentional. Perks, load outs, kill streaks, random ordnance, the new CTF, etc. No amount of time would have improved things if that's the direction they wanted to go.

Exactly.

Don't forget how they talked down to fans about the changes. and about how it "Feels like Halo" or the other PR rhetoric they spewed.

SpartanN92

Banned
Did anyone in HaloGAF work out yet what that massive creature was in the trailer?

Presumably the Forerunner Contender AI Mendicant Bias enclosed inside a War Sphinx-esque tomb.

For those not in the know Mendicant Bias was a Forerunner AI responsible for fighting the Flood. He defected and joined forces with the Gravemind, essentially the killing blow for any chance of Forerunner survival beyond firing Halo. The Forerunners created another AI named Offensive Bias and after the lighting of Halo, Offensive Bias rallied remaining non sentient forces and defeated Mendicant and his remaining Flood forces.

Mendicant was then split into pieces by the 2nd Didact and scattered across the Galaxy (a piece of which being lodged on the Ark in Halo 3, in the form of the terminals.) The main consciousness of Mendicant being buried in a desert, he exclaimed that he accepts his punishment and awaits the day he can truly repent for his sins.

My guess....Chief
needs a new AI to Replace/Save Cortana and Mendicant Bias fits the bill

Mendicant Bias is probably the most important Halo character that 99% of players have never heard of.

Caayn

I know more time is good but not at launch,it still was developed years ago when xbox one hardware was not even finalized. Also the game would have turned out bad regardless if it was rushed. The story and others stuff were in place and no time will fix that. A new start like now is the best bet.
No I don't think that the design philosophy of Halo 4 would've changed I just think that more time would've helped 343i in improving(/implementing) the game mechanics that they used in Halo 4 among other things such as the terminals and file share. I'm fully aware that the story would've been the same and we'd still see things as perks, load-outs, etc.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Halo 4 would've been a good Halo game thanks to the extra dev period. I'm saying that it would've just been something better than what we currently have, which is not that hard imo. The product as a whole would've been more complete.

oVerde

Banned
I like how the implosion preceding the Sphinx emerging is so much like the implosion on reach http://youtu.be/XGGHv7WlqJw?t=3m9s

I'm by no meaning correlating them, just found it intriguing to be very alike animations
RIP Reach
, the planet
, not the game

jem0208

Presumably the Forerunner Contender AI Mendicant Bias enclosed inside a War Sphinx-esque tomb.

For those not in the know Mendicant Bias was a Forerunner AI responsible for fighting the Flood. He defected and joined forces with the Gravemind, essentially the killing blow for any chance of Forerunner survival beyond firing Halo. The Forerunners created another AI named Offensive Bias and after the lighting of Halo, Offensive Bias rallied remaining non sentient forces and defeated Mendicant and his remaining Flood forces.

Mendicant was then split into pieces by the 2nd Didact and scattered across the Galaxy (a piece of which being lodged on the Ark in Halo 3, in the form of the terminals.) The main consciousness of Mendicant being buried in a desert, he exclaimed that he accepts his punishment and awaits the day he can truly repent for his sins.

My guess....Chief
needs a new AI to Replace/Save Cortana and Mendicant Bias fits the bill

Mendicant Bias is probably the most important Halo character that 99% of players have never heard of.

That would certainly be interesting.

It would be pretty damn awesome if Mendicant Bias was to help and then be corrupted again. Forcing the Chief to battle him in his head. That could create some really interesting story twists.

Cutebrute

It would be pretty damn awesome if Mendicant Bias was to help and then be corrupted again. Forcing the Chief to battle him in his head. That could create some really interesting story twists.

That would have been just as interesting with Cortana undergoing rampancy in 4, IMO.

Why would it? The MC could just eject him...

Top Bottom