• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Creative Director Ryan Payton Leaves 343i, Starts New Studio

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Neuromancer said:
Unfortunately we'll probably never what his ideas were, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them just because they were different.

If Halo 4 is just more Master Chief jumping around throwing plasma grenades on the same enemies we've already seen 5 times in 5 different games, I'd be pretty disappointed. I think the series could use a shot in the arm.
Well, considering they mentioned a new threat, and the war with the Covenant is over, I think we'll get that much, at the very least.

GhaleonEB

Neuromancer said:
Unfortunately we'll probably never what his ideas were, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them just because they were different.

If Halo 4 is just more Master Chief jumping around throwing plasma grenades on the same enemies we've already seen 5 times in 5 different games, I'd be pretty disappointed. I think the series could use a shot in the arm.
I'm personally hoping for a major reset of the combat sandbox. New enemies, almost entirely new weapons and vehicles (we know the Warthog is back). The Halo story arc and the new setting makes me think we'll see an entirely new adversary. And there is much you can do with Halo while preserving its core. Just look at the difference between Halo 1 and Halo 3.

Fallout-NL said:
Say what you will, but like CoD, Halo has an extremely popular online component and I think that's the reason why there can't be any fundamental changes to the core gameplay.

I'm not saying that CoD and Halo are the same game. But their evolution, or rather a lack of, is definitely similar.
I can't speak to CoD, but from Halo 1 to Halo 3, the game evolved tremendously. And I think it's not an exaggeration to say Reach shifted things up a great deal. Many of the changes did deteriorate Halo's core in that title. I'm actually hopeful 343 will capture Halo's MP core better than Reach did. Note that this is not the same thing as wanting the same game. There's a certain set of mechanics core to Halo that can be iterated on but preserved, because they define the game. Lose them and it's not Halo any longer.

duckroll

GhaleonEB said:
I'm personally hoping for a major reset of the combat sandbox. New enemies, almost entirely new weapons and vehicles (we know the Warthog is back). The Halo story arc and the new setting makes me think we'll see an entirely new adversary. And there is much you can do with Halo while preserving its core. Just look at the difference between Halo 1 and Halo 3.

I actually imagine that he wanted to do what Sledgehammer Games also wanted to do with CoD. Make it a third person game instead of a first person one, and introduce other gameplay and narrative elements not already native to the existing Halo games.

LQX

Fallout-NL said:
Say what you will, but like CoD, Halo has an extremely popular online component and I think that's the reason why there can't be any fundamental changes to the core gameplay.

I'm not saying that CoD and Halo are the same game. But their evolution, or rather a lack of, is definitely similar.
Thing is I'm sure he was there more for the single player. That's a area CoD and Halo can take a chance at making drastic changes I think where not everything as to transfer over to MP.

Would have liked to see where he took Halo just based on the fact he worked on MGS.

StuBurns

Banned
Starhawk made me comfortable with the idea of a third person Halo, without all that building nonsense, I bet it could be spectacular, especially with the Bungie 'encounter puzzles'.

Akia

Interfectum said:
Haha.

"I'm depressed because of the direction of Halo 4. Maybe, I'll quit this job that most would kill for, start an iOS studio and make a game where you flick things around with your fingers!"

Most people are content with a paycheck at a good studio. Others really care about being excited about what they're working on.

monome

GhaleonEB said:
I suppose it depends what he wanted to change, the gameplay or the structure. So long as the core Halo gameplay is intact, Halo can be rebuilt to be something other than a mission to mission shooter (ODST was sort of a proof of concept).

I remember in the Halo 4 panel, Frankie mentioned that they had built out a number of ideas in iteration that were great, but were ultimately thrown out because "they weren't Halo". He was making a point to emphasize how the team recognized what Halo was at its core and reassuring fans that they were going to preserve it. I don't know if these are dots that don't necessarily warrant connecting, but that's the first thing I thought of after reading the article. Put together, it sounds like Payton wanted to make substantial changes to the game that the rest of the team resisted, and so he left because he didn't feel like he could be passionate about a project in which he felt so limited.

If that's the case, his departure will be better for him, and Halo. No one should work on something they don't love if they have the choice, and Halo shouldn't be shepherded by someone who doesn't love what it is.

Halo 4 is 343i first game, taking on the mantle is a hard enough task. Changes will appear in due time. Refining the formula is a necessary and precautionnary step, it's a shame he burned himslef before it became evident to him.

Fallout-NL said:
You do realize there is a very fine line between this and getting the same fucking CoD (or Halo) game every year?
Why is it a problem that 343 wants to keep the core of Halo (gameplay) the same?

If you were the owner of an expansion baseball team and a manager you hired said "I'd really like to have our players run the bases the opposite direction", there is no way you would let that happen. Is it because you hate creativity or are an oppressive monolithic force? No, baseball just has some fundamental rules that you can't alter without making a totally different game that lives in a completely different context.

And if you're that manager, you probably should find a different sport.

Vire

GhaleonEB said:

I can't speak to CoD, but from Halo 1 to Halo 3, the game evolved tremendously. And I think it's not an exaggeration to say Reach shifted things up a great deal. Many of the changes did deteriorate Halo's core in that title. I'm actually hopeful 343 will capture Halo's MP core better than Reach did. Note that this is not the same thing as wanting the same game. There's a certain set of mechanics core to Halo that can be iterated on but preserved, because they define the game. Lose them and it's not Halo any longer.
I'm actually hoping for a much larger jump than from 1 to 3...

monome

duckroll said:
I actually imagine that he wanted to do what Sledgehammer Games also wanted to do with CoD. Make it a third person game instead of a first person one, and introduce other gameplay and narrative elements not already native to the existing Halo games.

This. but so foolish.

the reclaimer trilogy is an update on the formula. An excuse to bring updated tech to environments, enemies, AI etc... and a great fan service for the Chief's lovers fans.

Striker

Tunavi said:
Change is not always good. Reach is a good example of this, totally ignored and ruined the classic halo formula.

I'm all for innovation and change, but maybe his ideas just weren't that great. Maybe they were and you are right. Who knows?
Bungie changed Halo each and every game. To a big extent from Halo 1 to Halo 2. Halo 3 started offering more things like equipment and things as such, so it really was the start of the Halo people play online right now. You, and others in GAF, seem to purposely blame Reach single-handily for this change, but it began before it. Either way, we've endured change in each iteration. Change isn't always good, nor is it always bad. The issue stands, is the change still make for a fun game, and does it have longevity? To me, if it involves adding ways to cheat death and staying alive when in fact you should have died from a shot, it's bullcrap and should be in the trash heap.

Chinner

Banned
You know, I think Halo would actually benefit a lot if they just slowed down the game in terms of th story.. Everything is happening so fast, and if they just added some pacing into and serviceable story with competent characters I reckon it'd do wonders.

Deadbeat

Banned
Chinner said:
You know, I think Halo would actually benefit a lot if they just slowed down the game. Everything is happening so fast, and if they just added some pacing into and serviceable story with competent characters I reckon it'd do wonders.
Halo is not a fast paced fps.

Anyways, isnt this par for the course for working at Microsoft? The talent flees after a game or two?

Chinner

Banned
Deadbeat said:
Halo is not a fast paced fps.

Anyways, isnt this par for the course for working at Microsoft? Talent flees after a game or two?
well i wasn't talking about the gameplay.

Chinner said:
You know, I think Halo would actually benefit a lot if they just slowed down the game in terms of th story.. Everything is happening so fast, and if they just added some pacing into and serviceable story with competent characters I reckon it'd do wonders.
The story in 3 was a train wreck, Bungie was getting better in that department with ODST and Reach but of course it's not in their hands anymore. Hopefully 343 keeps it simple, and not convoluted and overly crazy.

LiK

Neuromancer said:
The story in 3 was a train wreck, Bungie was getting better in that department with ODST and Reach but of course it's not in their hands anymore. Hopefully 343 keeps it simple, and not convoluted and overly crazy.
They had to tie up the mess from Halo 2 which was the worse in the series, but yea, after 3, they had a better direction for the story.

monome

KageMaru said:
Now I'm curious to know what direction he wanted to take Halo in.

Having had no experience on FPS before, I agree with duckroll on him trying to move the series on 3rd person game path. A sexy plan but costly, making him a dreamer in the eyes of the other employees.

Chinner

Banned
Neuromancer said:
ODST was there best attempt at it; the use of the hub-world slowed the narrative down and allowed you to soak in the environments and mystery of the battle that had just happened while the flashbacks gave you the context to the battle and elaborated on your team-mates. It was a good try.

Reach on the otherhand? I mean I'm not sure if the story was more of a train wreck than Halo 3. I think they both fell apart at the end, everything is happening so quickly there's no real sense of urgency or perspective to whats happening. Reach was better written, if I remember correctly, and Halo 3 was cringe worthy with "....TO WAR" and "THE RINGS WILL KILL US ALL".

Philthy

I really want to play Halo .. on a Halo. Like in this first game. The entire idea you were on this halo planet was pretty amazing. You could always see the world as a ring above you as you crossed the terrain. It was new and different. The atmosphere was great. Since then it's been mostly just a combat shooter and you really don't notice the world as anything different than any other shooter. I first played Halo 1-3 all at the same time and the first game just sticks out at me more than any of the others.

TheOddOne

monome said:
Having had no experience on FPS before, I agree with duckroll on him trying to move the series on 3rd person game path. A sexy plan but costly, making him a dreamer in the eyes of the other employees.
Its strange to change a FPS to a TPS. Maby 343 Industries want to be more traditional with their first game, maby down the line they will look into going in other directions (something like ODST/REACH).

Deadbeat said:
I know that. The story isnt throwing gobs of text at you so.....

You too.

Who said anything about text? ...it does however throw gobs of plot in multiple directions at a high velocity. I agree with Chinner.

Philthy said:
I really want to play Halo .. on a Halo. Like in this first game. The entire idea you were on this halo planet was pretty amazing. You could always see the world as a ring above you as you crossed the terrain. It was new and different. The atmosphere was great. Since then it's been mostly just a combat shooter and you really don't notice the world as anything different than any other shooter. I first played Halo 1-3 all at the same time and the first game just sticks out at me more than any of the others.
An 'open world' game where you're literally on a huge halo and can go anywhere (until you hit the edge) would be pretty amazing.

I just hope Halo 4 is different from the previous games. I don't want the covenant or the UNSC. It should be Master Chief in a new setting facing new antagonists with all new supporting cast members (other than cortanna).

Where can he go? The dude is comparing his work to MGS4, which is going to be impossible to beat, unless he goes back to KojiPro and works on MGS5.

GhaleonEB

Neuromancer said:
An 'open world' game where you're literally on a huge halo and can go anywhere (until you hit the edge) would be pretty amazing.
I think ODST showed that open world elements mesh very well with Halo's sandbox combat style. I was disappointed that after ODST Reach went back to the traditional set of (mostly) linear missions. I don't think it needs to be purely open world (ODST sure wasn't), but I'd like to see it move along the spectrum a bit.

LiK

Anticitizen One said:
I just hope Halo 4 is different from the previous games. I don't want the covenant or the UNSC. It should be Master Chief in a new setting facing new antagonists with all new supporting cast members (other than cortanna).
Yea, the fact that Halo 4 Warthog is shown in Forza 4 worries me. I'm hoping it's all new weapons and worlds.

GhaleonEB said:
I think ODST showed that open world elements mesh very well with Halo's sandbox combat style. I was disappointed that after ODST Reach went back to the traditional set of (mostly) linear missions. I don't think it needs to be purely open world (ODST sure wasn't), but I'd like to see it move along the spectrum a bit.
Oh I agree.

LiK said:
They had to tie up the mess from Halo 2 which was the worse in the series, but yea, after 3, they had a better direction for the story.

Yeah. Halo CE is still the most complete of the series. It's the only one that I feel is concise enough for a video game. The others try for space opera a bit too much. ODST would have come close if they weren't afraid to kill off the other characters. The end of the game becomes a mishmash of forgettable characters and events.

Striker

LiK said:
Halo 2's story was fantastic. And it started up the Arbiter which shows more of a character than Master Chief ever did. That has gone to the side since, unfortunately. He became a useless AI sidekick for a few cut-scenes.

The problem with Halo 2's campaign was the polish and mere level design, as it was changed drastically from Halo 1's single player campaign.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Well don't know if this is bad news or not.

Probably MS as usual must've fucked something up, but at the same time this cat came from MGS4 so.

TheOddOne said:
Its strange to change a FPS to a TPS. Maby 343 Industries want to be more traditional with their first game, maby down the line they will look into going in other directions (something like ODST/REACH).

Seeing as their calling halo 4 the first in a new trilogy, I expect the next two numbered halo games to be more or less a refinement of what they go with in 4.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Philthy said:

Halo 4 might surprise you. Remember the first time you looked up from the horizon and seen the landscape itself curve up along the giant ring that stretched forever upwards?

Halo%20Virgin%206-620x.jpg

You truly felt you were in this familiar yet alien place. What if Halo 4 re-captured this feeling? What if you looked up from the horizon and saw something familar yet different? What if the landscape rose high into the sky on every side? What if you were inside a hollowed out sphere instead on a ring?

They've said Halo 4 will return to the sense of alien discovery and exploration and I believe them.

dyson2.png

PooBone

Dabanton said:
He basically can't stop talking about a game he absolutely despises. Look at his history, guys a drama queen.
Man, sounds like this guy needs to get a new perspective. Why waste so much time and energy over rage?

I also couldn't agree less with him, and am glad his opinion doesn't matter in the slightest. Halo: Combat Evolved is my favorite game ever, and Halo is my favorite series. They'll keep making awesome FPS games and he'll keep bitching and talking about puking because he wants Quake 3 remade over and over.

Deadbeat

Banned
PooBone said:
They'll keep making awesome FPS games and he'll keep bitching and talking about puking because he wants Quake 3 remade over and over.
Yes cause Quake 3 rehashes have been coming out every 2-3 years unlike Halo.

TheOddOne

snoopeasystreet said:
Seeing as their calling halo 4 the first in a new trilogy, I expect the next two numbered halo games to be more or less a refinement of what they go with in 4.
Yeah, but I mean they will prolly look into making spin-offs that are not that linked with the main trilogy.

TheOddOne said:
Yeah, but I mean they will prolly look into making spin-offs that are not that linked with the main trilogy.

More than likely. Whether 343 makes them is another story. Microsoft has been pushing for one halo game a year.

LiK

TheOddOne said:
Prolly wanna milk MC in one more trilogy then move on.

WrikaWrek

Banned
StuBurns said:
I think this is probably for the best. In a year Halo Reach comes out, if you name Heavy Rain your game of the year, you should not be directing Halo 4.

I hope he makes something awesome, I'm sure he can.

I don't understand what sleep paralysis has to do with depression though.

Waaaat

Heavy Rain was his GOTY? That's just funny. What the hell was this guy doing directing Halo?
Seems like a huge mismatch.

RedSwirl

For some reason I always imagined next-gen Halo turning into something sort of like ArmA II but more action-based. The initial attraction to Halo was how big its battlefields were and how they were populated with so many individual units fighting each other. ArmA II is basically that but at a much bigger scale and made for the sim crowd.

Top Bottom