• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4iX

So you're arguing with me for no reason?

No because you're original argument was for female Halo community member volunteers to be able to walk up next to Bravo and a fun time at PAX.

You're missing the point of my original post, and how are women supposed to get better at commentating if they're not asked to commentate? Same with competing in pro-leagues?

Still not seeing the harm of letting a prominent female member of the Halo community (or 343) commentate.

I bet if you looked and asked around you'd get some willing volunteers.

And bringing up a legitimate point is turning something into a gender debate? Oh man.

Blueblur1

They should work as hard as the boys, creating content on YouTube and Twitch casting over gameplays, then once they have a solid portfolio built up, approach a smaller scale tournament organizer like AEL or UGC, after they continue to build their brand, perfect their craft, and gain experience, approaching a large scale event such as PAX or Gamescom might yield the fruits of their labor.

If they're good at it (casting), then the other stuff doesn't matter.

Tawpgun

Yes it would be cool to see more girls

Yes its a shame there aren't really many if any at all to cast or play

But lets talk about BxR's and noob combos now

Chitown B

Yeah, I'll just go do that. And every single time I play I'll make sure the other 7 are on.

...ooooor how about no, let me just matchmake without getting fucked over. :3

lol. find a group of gaffers. Or check out a website with Halo groups. It's not that hard to find a bunch of Halo fans who play nightly.

You saying casting is all about fun is kind of offensive to people who have made a living by cultivating it is a craft.

If you had a job i would try to marginalize it by saying anyone could do it because it's "just for fun" but you don't.
You're turning my comment into something it's not.

No because you're original argument was for female Halo community member volunteers to be able to walk up next to Bravo and a fun time at PAX.

Actually, no, I did not. Please read what I said:

It's a legitimate point to bring up, and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of prominent female members of the Halo community that would love to commentate if asked, including some of them at 343.

Booties

Banned
I went to a video game expo once and MLG halo games were set up outside this RV. There was a girl team called PMS who kept shitting on all the boys (there weren't any other organized boy teams iirc). It was funny.

HTH.

Remember when Dennis Miller did commenatary for NFL games? That shit was bad and he was used to cameras.

CyReN

If they're good at it (casting), then the other stuff doesn't matter.

Experience matters, people can act a lot of different from casting from their bedroom to in front of a crowd of a few thousand. That when you need the event experience, plus working a production cast helps a lot.

heckfu

Banned
I went to a video game expo once and MLG halo games were set up outside this RV. There was a girl team called PMS who kept shitting on all the boys (there weren't any other organized boy teams iirc). It was funny.

HTH.

Remember when Dennis Miller did commenatary for NFL games? That shit was bad and he was used to cameras.

But commentating is all about fun! As long as there's a body in a chair that fulfills a quote that suits your agenda then who cares if he/she is good!

But commentating is all about fun! As long as there's a body in a chair that fulfills a quote that suits your agenda then who cares if he/she is good!

My "fun" comment was referring to the event as a whole, not the casting job specifically. Having a larger female presence would make the event more fun for me. Watching pro players and people commentate on the games is fun, so I'd like to see some women commentate if at all possible.

There's nothing wrong with that.
How does an anodyne statement like "there should be some women casters" get turned into a controversy?
NeoGAF, in general, is bad at discussing gender topics.

u4iX

My "fun" comment was referring to the event as a whole, not the casting job specifically. Having a larger female presence would make the event more fun for me. Watching pro players and people commentate on the games is fun, so I'd like to see some women commentate if at all possible.

There's nothing wrong with that.

You're right, and if they're qualified, they can do it.

Cool?

Torlain

Banned
NeoGAF, in general, is bad at discussing gender topics.

I thought this wasn't a gender topic/debate...

I bet if you looked and asked around you'd get some willing volunteers.

And bringing up a legitimate point is turning something into a gender debate? Oh man.

I guess the good thing is that we actually have no idea who's commentating until next week's Bulletin. Glad no knee jerk reactions have occurred over a supposed non-issue.

Back to your regularly scheduled program!

jem0208

Why do they have to be good? It's all about fun, right? I really don't see the harm in letting them commentate with Bravo even if they aren't the best. I'd love to see Kiki or Alison or Bonnie or Jess talk along side Bravo. What's wrong with that?
Because it would be detrimental to the experience, just as a bad male commentator would be detrimental to the experience. An important aspect of commentating is the discussion between the two commentators, at least IMO. If the pair can't entertainingly discuss what's going on it won't be as good.

u4iX

Ooooh, color commentators. I like those.

RiGJvAv.gif

ar br or smg

there's one correct answer

popeye's

jokes on all you mothafuckas, its actually two black dudes commentating the event

I hope they switch things up a bit throughout the event. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not a racist or anything (I talk to some pretty well-spoken Black Men on GAF), but I just don't know if I could relate hearing them talking about situational area control and gunning people down, especially commentating a subject like Halo.

Ooooh, color commentators. I like those.

I love a good pun, but I don't think tawpgun or anyone younger than him will get this.

Blueblur1

Experience matters, people can act a lot of different from casting from their bedroom to in front of a crowd of a few thousand. That when you need the event experience, plus working a production cast helps a lot.

I don't doubt that experience would be valuable. But I also don't think someone has to be creating content on a continual basis, gather a following, etc.

antigoon

I hope they switch things up a bit throughout the event. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not a racist or anything (I talk to some pretty well-spoken Black Men on GAF), but I just don't know if I could relate hearing them talking about situational area control and gunning people down, especially commentating a subject like Halo.

10/10

besada

Banned
How does an anodyne statement like "there should be some women casters" get turned into a controversy?

Yes, I also don't understand this. But I don't want an explanation, either, because I've spent my morning trying to deal with shitbags who think it's cute to post people's photos online and harass them because they hold a different viewpoint.

So, instead, I'll just say to all parties involved, let it drop.

heckfu

Banned
oic. Yeah I don't either. We'd probably be bad and annoyed that most of our time would spent waiting for Matchmaking to find a game.

you have a q t avatar

Yes, I also don't understand this. But I don't want an explanation, either, because I've spent my morning trying to deal with shitbags who think it's cute to post people's photos online and harass them because they hold a different viewpoint.

So, instead, I'll just say to all parties involved, let it drop.

Why do you have such an interest in protecting Dax? Everytime she is in an argument you pop in and protect her. I understand you have a friendship inside and outside of gaf but it's unfair when she continually shits on people's opinions and for being male etc and then OTHERS get banned.

Go nuts and give me a 2 week ban for criticizing a mod but it's pretty insane that whenever she feels like there's an injustice regardless of her negative participation she can just whistle and get someone in to shut down conversation.

besada

Banned
Why do you have such an interest in protecting Dax? Everytime she is in an argument you pop in and protect her. I understand you have a friendship inside and outside of gaf but it's unfair when she continually shits on people's opinions and for being male etc and then OTHERS get banned.

When members PM me and say there's a problem, I investigate, regardless of who that member is. Like several other members of this community, I found it a little crazy that a simple comment created such a derail. So I asked both sides to drop the issue. Given that I've been in here exactly twice, I'll leave you to whatever conspiracy theories you want to invent regarding who called me in.

As for your ban, it's going to be longer than two weeks. Anyone else who would like to discuss moderation, PM a moderator or send an email to support@neogaf.com. Complaining about it in the thread is unacceptable and a violation of the ToS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom