• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Booties

Banned
I was confused by several of you being excited about his initial answer. It looked like a non-answer to me.

Frankie is gonna get himself into trouble if he keeps that up on the internetz

Yeah I don't get the excitement over that tweet because that's how I read it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

mmpWJQR.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So I just pre-purchased the MCC at work. My Xbox is set to the auto-on or whatever at home.

Is there a way for me to tell it to start downloading from here with SmartGlass or through the web?

Sephzilla

True, but if we're going straight up scariest, shit-your-pants Halo moment...

Cloaked Flood Elite in the Pillar of Autumn Armory on CE anyone?

*Shudders*

Really though, the Flood reveal in CE was so good. I feel sorry for the people who played the sequels but didn't play CE, one of the best moments in the franchise is kind of ruined for them.

iMax

So I just pre-purchased the MCC at work. My Xbox is set to the auto-on or whatever at home.

Is there a way for me to tell it to start downloading from here with SmartGlass or through the web?

Is your Xbox set as your home Xbox? if so, it's downloading right now.

*Shudders*

Really though, the Flood reveal in CE was so good. I feel sorry for the people who played the sequels but didn't play CE, one of the best moments in the franchise is kind of ruined for them.

Yeah dude...CE did such a great job with it. I still play 343 guilty spark and love every second of it. It's still powerful to me.

oh! I thought that co op was staying as peer to peer stuff.

cool beans.

Come on bud. Take another look at his answer and then read the above posts.

*Shudders*

Real talk. I was... like, 9 when I played CE for the first time, and that part was goddamn terrifying. Atmospheric perfection.

Fuchsdh

I actually don't remember the Flood reveal. I must have played it with my brother since we co-op'd the original two games. Unless you're totally oblivious to the series though it's one of those paradigm shift moments you don't see coming that are harder to do these days in gaming.

I do remember finishing up "Regret" with my brother, and then having to set the table. When we came back, the Gravemind cutscene was going, and we were confused how the hell we were talking to this plant thing. The cut Halo 2 mission with the Gravemind's tentacles slithering around in the background, etc., would have made that reveal work so much better. Le sigh.

Sephzilla

I actually kind of wish they never created The Gravemind. The Flood seemed like a much cooler and scarier concept when they were just an out of control parasite.

DJ Gunner

There are no grenade indicators when throwing now- does this mean they are gone totally?

EDIT: Welp nevermind, looks like they are still there if thrown by enemies.

Mix

I actually don't remember the Flood reveal. I must have played it with my brother since we co-op'd the original two games. Unless you're totally oblivious to the series though it's one of those paradigm shift moments you don't see coming that are harder to do these days in gaming.

I do remember finishing up "Regret" with my brother, and then having to set the table. When we came back, the Gravemind cutscene was going, and we were confused how the hell we were talking to this plant thing. The cut Halo 2 mission with the Gravemind's tentacles slithering around in the background, etc., would have made that reveal work so much better. Le sigh.

I remember the Flood reveal but here's the funny thing, I was six. I remember running into it at first and it giving my young mind nightmares for like a week, but they quickly became some of my favorite enemies in gaming.

HTupolev

This has been explained before, but seriously: dedicated servers wouldn't help with campaign unless they did some very heavy engine rework, which is unlikely to happen.

*Shudders*

Maybe. I had 343GS spoiled for me, it was still awesome.

If there's an issue, it's probably that CE's Flood is fairly different; if you projected Halo 3's Flood back to Halo 1, you might see Halo 1's as "like that but less" instead of absorbing what it is in its own right.

People who say they wish Halo 1's Flood had the real-time morphing -> NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Ataxia

I'm ashamed to admit that I accidentally skipped the Flood introduction cutscene for years

It wasn't my fault though. The cutscene starts with the screen going black and a little play button appearing in the corner... So of course I'm going to press the A button in an attempt to make it play :3

I wonder what they're going to do for the whole next week of IGN First. At first I thought maybe Halo 5 stuff but because of halo fest now I doubt it. Maybe H2A forge/theater?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I'm ashamed to admit that I accidentally skipped the Flood introduction cutscene for years

It wasn't my fault though. The cutscene starts with the screen going black and a little play button appearing in the corner... So of course I'm going to press the A button in an attempt to make it play :3

How did you survive all those years without those sweet guitar licks working their way into your ears?

I actually kind of wish they never created The Gravemind. The Flood seemed like a much cooler and scarier concept when they were just an out of control parasite.

Really? I think they're much scarier now. It invites the question of what kind of intelligence could deliberately wrought that kind of destruction, on that kind of scale? Most other Hordes of Alien Locusts are motivated by simple hunger, but the Flood have higher motivations, and in a way that makes them worse. Like, what's scarier: a sociopathic serial killer or a big hungry bear?

Impala26

How did you survive all those years without those sweet guitar licks working their way into your ears?

"If the Covenant want to destory this particular part of my history... that's FINE by me."

Speaking of that, was that piece ever released as a standalone music file?

Sephzilla

Really? I think they're much scarier now. It invites the question of what kind of intelligence could deliberately wrought that kind of destruction, on that kind of scale? Most other Hordes of Alien Locusts are motivated by simple hunger, but the Flood have higher motivations, and in a way that makes them worse. Like, what's scarier: a sociopathic serial killer or a big hungry bear?

I think a more apt analogy would be what's scarier - a single socipathic killer or an endless hoard of big hungry bears.

The flood being a mindless disease seems scarier to me because it's something that can't be reasoned with and doesn't follow any kind of true pattern or have any real goals - it's essentially chaos incarnate. It also introduces the question of what will intelligent people attempt to do in order to stop the mindless disease (like building giant super weapons that will kill anything within thousands of light years). Plus the Flood in Halo 1 were a bit of fresh air compared to the Humans vs Covenant - who were both kind of operating under their "higher motivations" idealogy already.

Sephzilla

Microsoft deny's the Halo 5 release date rumor because of course they do.

Because, y'know, 382 days from now is November 10th. A Tuesday in early November. And it's not like Halo games haven't historically launched on Tuesdays in early November already. It's also not like MCC launches on November 11th.

C'mon Microsoft/343. If this is the release date you want just say it is and don't pretend we are stupid. It's not like you cant just change the release date if you need to.

dwells

I remember the Flood reveal but here's the funny thing, I was six. I remember running into it at first and it giving my young mind nightmares for like a week, but they quickly became some of my favorite enemies in gaming.

I feel old.

Because, y'know, 382 days from now is November 10th. A Tuesday in early November. And it's not like Halo games haven't historically launched on Tuesdays in early November already. It's also not like MCC launches on November 11th.

C'mon Microsoft/343. If this is the release date you want just say it is and don't pretend we are stupid. It's not like you cant just change the release date if you need to.

It's just a random number generator they have sitting around the office that happens to correspond with a Tuesday in November that makes for an absolutely perfect Halo launch date. Nothing suspicious at all about Tashi's explanation. 343i would obviously never lie to us.

I think a more apt analogy would be what's scarier - a single socipathic killer or an endless hoard of big hungry bears.

The flood being a mindless disease seems scarier to me because it's something that can't be reasoned with and doesn't follow any kind of true pattern or have any real goals - it's essentially chaos incarnate. It also introduces the question of what will intelligent people attempt to do in order to stop the mindless disease (like building giant super weapons that will kill anything within thousands of light years). Plus the Flood in Halo 1 were a bit of fresh air compared to the Humans vs Covenant - who were both kind of operating under their "higher motivations" idealogy already.

Ah, but the Gravemind cannot be reasoned with. It is intelligence without morality, qualms, or indecisiveness. It simply is, in a way that is difficult to wrap one's head around. This is a being that will absorb, subvert, and kill everything in its path, wreaking unthinkable destruction in the name of a cause we can't even begin to understand.

Having the Flood be an unthinking parasite makes them more relatable, in a way; they're the plague, but with (comparatively) gigantic bacteria. The Gravemind makes them something entirely alien, and, in my opinion, much scarier.

Granted, this is all undermined by the fact that he looks (looked) like Audrey, but nonetheless, I loved the concept. Plus, no Gravemind means no Logic Plague, and that'd be a damn shame. Such a cool idea.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

There could be countless reasons they don't want to admit it. It's not a big deal. I think it's funny.

I feel old.

It's just a random number generator they have sitting around the office that happens to correspond with a Tuesday in November that makes for an absolutely perfect Halo launch date. Nothing suspicious at all about Tashi's explanation. 343i would obviously never lie to us.
Huehuehue

guys have 343 commented on proximity chat? it would suck if they removed this feature also have they said anything about dlc maps for h2a?

No comment that I've seen. Honestly, if it is axed, I find it tough to blame them. It was a great feature, but party chat pretty much killed it. Not sure I'd be willing to put the resources into it if I were them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the discussion about the Flood / Gravemind. Personally, knowing there's an intelligence (and a massive, ancient one at that) made the Flood far more interesting to me, but I'm not sure if I can articulate why right now.

Edit : There's a little chime that I hear every so often while watching H2A gameplay, and I can't figure out what it's for. It plays in this video at the 41 seconds mark.

Mistel

Banned
I'm loving the discussion about the Flood / Gravemind. Personally, knowing there's an intelligence (and a massive, ancient one at that) made the Flood far more interesting to me, but I'm not sure if I can articulate why right now.
Gives the flood actual reasoning for the actions it does, instead of making it a mindless horde of flesh eating parasites? Without it it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

Mix

Edit : There's a little chime that I hear every so often while watching H2A gameplay, and I can't figure out what it's for. It plays in this video at the 41 seconds mark.
I think it's the player trying to swap grenades.

EDIT: Actually, it's almost like you can hear every other player zooming in on their scopes.

Top Bottom