• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Devo ends up at this upcoming press event, she should bring a notepad and wear one of those old-timey hats with the press tag on it.

I'm in the middle of a drive to northwestern PA to visit the in-laws, but I'll be up and running some MM when I get there in a few hours. Neogaf...power up!

If Devo ends up at this upcoming press event, she should bring a notepad and wear one of those old-timey hats with the press tag on it.

No, but this instead.

Homer_and_Apu.png

I know I barely ever talk about anything in here other than music, but did anyone else get a bit of a Metroid Prime feel from Halo CEA's soundtrack? "In the Substance of It" in particular gave me some serious Metroid Prime: Hunters
say what you want about it, the music was good
vibes. And as far as the actual compositions/instruments go, it even reminded me a bit of Borderlands sometimes, notably in Bad Dream's first few notes.

I know I barely ever talk about anything in here other than music, but did anyone else get a bit of a Metroid Prime feel from Halo CEA's soundtrack? "In the Substance of It" in particular gave me some serious Metroid Prime: Hunters
say what you want about it, the music was good
vibes. And as far as the actual compositions/instruments go, it even reminded me a bit of Borderlands sometimes, notably in Bad Dream's first few notes.

I'm not really familiar with Metroid Prime Hunters' soundtrack. Could you link to a good example?

I'm not really familiar with Metroid Prime Hunters' soundtrack. Could you link to a good example?

A big part of its appeal is that, minus a few obvious tracks during things like cutscenes or actual battles, a lot of the music is ambient--while there are obvious and distinct melodies, they're generally synthy and "calm" enough to blend in well with all of the atmospheres and pads that the trilogy and Hunters uses. While it's not nearly as ambient as some other examples, the main theme for a location called Alinos which is full of mountains, magma, etc. is a good example because the percussive riffs and the choir are something both Metroid and Halo are known for. Other tracks like Arcterra Depths are much more ambient, with the only real tune coming from a very simple glockenspiel riff later into the song. Then you have tracks with more obvious melodies and compositions like Arcterra's main theme, Arcterra being (as the name implies) a much more icy region, the music itself borrowing a fan favorite theme from one of them main Prime games, if I'm remembering right. And then you have tracks that just go "fuck it" with the whole ambient theme and decide to remix one of the recurring themes of the series so well, it surprises you that something like it could come out of a game that isn't even one of the main ones, and uses the DS hardware to boot. Metroid's music has always had similarities with Halo, but the Prime Trilogy and Combat Evolved are the only ones where they get really obvious.

plus MPH used a shitload of sound effects from Combat Evolved to begin with

The striking thing about that Reach reveal thread is how many people that posted in it no longer post in Halo threads. Hope that's more of a natural progression of GAF than a result of them becoming disenchanted with Halo.

Seems to me that bleedthrough really is the big dividing factor on the TU, and the cause of the health pack glitch. A weaker melee without bleedthrough really seems like the best solution to everyone's problems. I still prefer melee bleedthrough to Reach's vanilla system but 2 melee hits to pop a shield without bleedthrough and one to kill an unshielded opponent sounds perfect. No bullshit double melee shenanigans and a clear feedback system.
Quoting for the new page cuz I really wanna see what people think of it. That along with the other TU changes and I think it'd play really nicely.

Ramirez

The striking thing about that Reach reveal thread is how many people that posted in it no longer post in Halo threads. Hope that's more of a natural progression of GAF than a result of them becoming disenchanted with Halo.

Halo always has a ton of fair weather fans early in a threads life...

I would be really sick to be able to spectate pro scrims and stream all 4 screens on on single stream without fifty adapters splitters and capture cards. Just sayin.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would be really sick to be able to spectate pro scrims and stream all 4 screens on on single stream without fifty adapters splitters and capture cards. Just sayin.
Think about what it would do for the competitive gaming environment in Halo. You only need one capture card, as you said. It allows a single commentator to switch between players and call the game. It helps the grassroot tournaments. It helps the LAN centers get a regular stream up and pull some viewers. Make events out of LANs. Creates personalities and important people in the community who might not play competitively themselves.

Dani's podcast got me really pumped for the story that could be told in 4... Made me want to replay the series as I never quite got the story in my head.

Booshka

NO

then they will have another excuse for the game to not be 60 FPS.

I know this is blasphemy, but if 343i have to remove split-screen for 60 FPS, do it.

Think about what it would do for the competitive gaming environment in Halo. You only need one capture card, as you said. It allows a single commentator to switch between players and call the game. It helps the grassroot tournaments. It helps the LAN centers get a regular stream up and pull some viewers. Make events out of LANs. Creates personalities and important people in the community who might not play competitively themselves.

If I could quad screen in theater too I would cast so much halo its not even funny.

NO

I know this is blasphemy, but if 343i have to remove split-screen for 60 FPS, do it.
I'm all for this but it would never happen. One of the biggest things about halo 1 was playing split screen and I see this as something too big for them to remove. It's like if they removed system link.

NO

What did me and ZalinKrow ever do to you?!?!?!

Take away 4-player support if your draw distances are going to be so terrible but 2-player is an absolute godsend for brothers who can't afford another setup (360 + tv + everything else) which far too many other games require.

I wonder what it would be like if when playing single player the frame rate was buffed up to 60fps, but when on split screen it would go down to accomodate.

CyReN

The main reason splitting was huge was because of the lack of XBL in 2001, now it's 2012 and only the small minority split now. I would be sad to see it go but if it makes the game better then I'm for it.

I wonder what it would be like if when playing single player the frame rate was buffed up to 60fps, but when on split screen it would go down to accomodate.

I don't think shifting framerates between modes like that is very efficient for the code. Could be wrong but I'd imagine there would be issues with that approach.

Ramirez

The main reason splitting was huge was because of the lack of XBL in 2001, now it's 2012 and only the small minority split now. I would be sad to see it go but if it makes the game better then I'm for it.

The sweet irony is that probably 90% of the people who still splitscreen aren't even old enough to buy the game!

I also hate the fact that, I, as a paying customer have to put up with splitscreen BS from 3 people who don't even own the game. If they do own it, they should be at their house, on their TV. ;)

How anyone can play well on a 4-way split is beyond me. Everything becomes polygons unless you scope and even then you see headlights from a hog before the hog actually appears. Snipers on Hemo are two polygons stuck together... How do people enjoy that?

Ramirez

How anyone can play well on a 4-way split is beyond me. Everything becomes polygons unless you scope and even then you see headlights from a hog before the hog actually appears. Snipers on Hemo are two polygons stuck together... How do people enjoy that?

Peasants.

In all seriousness, I'd imagine the overwhelming majority of them are kids. Me and my friends used to play PD on a 20 inch TV split 4 ways for like 14 hours straight when we were young. You do dumb stuff when you're that age.

Its things like a spectator mode that Halo needs, and it could really use a quad split screen view for spectators too!

Those are the cool features I'm looking for in this game, I trust them to make a fantastic game to spectate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom