• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeboyd

So, outside of Reach MM being set on fire and pissed on, what does Gaf really want to see happen with Reach's MM?

Edit: For those that still play

Trey

So, outside of Reach MM being set on fire and pissed on, what does Gaf really want to see happen with Reach's MM?

Dual playlists where there is TU and there is without, so both sides of the fragmented fanbase can be sated.

More PP starts.

It is a minority. If you read my post, you know that I'm defender of "people don't agree with your opinion, GAF, because they have different preferences". But there are bigger problems right now that 343i should focus on before adding new stuff to MM. (e.g. Firefight)

Shit. You revealed the first new vehicle of Halo 4. 343i isn't going to be pleased.

Just because these players don't voice their opinion on the internet doesn't mean they're a minority.

About firefight, yes... it's filled with retarded gametypes which lead to repetitive and boring gameplay. Herp derp Ima firing my FRG while jetpacking!

At this point I just hope they add some more classy gametypes alongside the wacky ones :/

Booshka

This, I don't play enough to really know what could help Reach MM. Consolidating the playlists seems like a good idea, but I wouldn't know how to go about it. I really don't care, I'll just hop in whatever playlist GAF is playing and go with it. I hate a lot of the playlists and will never play them, but a lot of people love them, so I have no problem with them staying.

Havok

Fix what's there currently instead of developing new gametypes that are going to exist in a single playlist. The guy that was making Team Hotshot could have spent that time taking Evade out behind the barn and giving it the Old Yeller treatment. Weightings of gametypes still heavily favor what I'd consider to be 'fringe' gametypes in core playlists (Flag Slayer in Objective - really, Jeremiah?). We saw more Elite Slayer last night in BTB Anniversary than Neutral Bomb. I know I'd sure appreciate a refined core experience more than a novel gametype that I might play twice.

Dual playlists where there is TU and there is without, so both sides of the fragmented fanbase can be sated.
Conversely, shit or get off the pot. Apply it everywhere it makes sense or don't apply it at all. Joe Q. Gamer who plays casually doesn't know what the "TU" prefix means and all the split is doing is confusing him. 100% of the people playing the game are not going to be satisfied, and that's that. The TU is well on its way to full-game domination in terms of playlist count, whether people think that's a good or bad thing. Decide what you want this game to be and make it that instead of straddling this line and half assing it.

Trey

Conversely, shit or get off the pot. Apply it everywhere it makes sense or don't apply it at all. Joe Q. Gamer who plays casually doesn't know what the "TU" prefix means and all the split is doing is confusing him. 100% of the people playing the game are not going to be satisfied, and that's that. The TU is well on its way to full-game domination in terms of playlist count, whether people think that's a good or bad thing. Decide what you want this game to be and make it that instead of straddling this line and half assing it.

I don't think it's hard to make every major playlist TU enabled and Vanilla, and have a slide to choose which you prefer. For good measure, have one of those big ass full screen prompts so people know what the changes are.

It stands to argue that someone ignorant enough of the state of Reach to not know the difference between TU and Vanilla also won't notice the difference inherent in the respective builds, so it's a moot point anyways. Joe Q. Gamer, as it were.

Havok

I don't think it's hard to make every major playlist TU enabled and Vanilla, and have a slide to choose. For good measure, have one of the big ass full screen prompts so people know what the changes are.

It stands to argue that someone ignorant enough of the state of Reach to not know the difference between TU and Vanilla also won't notice the difference inherent in the respective builds, so it's a moot point anyways. Joe Q. Gamer, as it were.
But at that point wouldn't you be splitting the populations of the smaller playlists to the point that it would be difficult to find a match? Which of the two options do you list first - we know that people will mash on whichever the top listed option is? It works in a world where every playlist has an infinitely large player pool, but Team Objective has maybe 500 people in it at any given time (and that's being generous). It's already incredibly difficult to find a good skill match in it, much less one with DLC. You're then decreasing that possibility to near zero.

My Joe Gamer statement was too specific to people who don't follow 343. There are people that post in this thread that have asked 'wait, is this 85 or 100 bloom?' after a game has started because this split exists. It's unnecessarily convoluted and lacks direction. At least Vanilla Reach had that going for it.

Trey

But at that point wouldn't you be splitting the populations of the smaller playlists to the point that it would be difficult to find a match?

The reamins to be seen, and I'm of the mind that that's the reason 343i didn't just split em both off from the get go.

zap

I keep a close eye on the community temperature, and what I am getting, is that AR starts would solve most issues.

This troll gives me some hope.

To be perfectly honest, I don't expect BR starts in all Halo 4 playlists. I just hope that BR starts in mandatory in ranked (competitive Halo, bro) and there is a preference option that lets you say I want to play BR starts before starting any type of matchmaking.

What WOULD be good is to go and consolidate a lot of Halo 3 playlists and then force BR starts in at least half of the remaining applicable playlists. Might as well, most people who still play Halo 3 will be clamouring for BRs anyway.

TheOddOne

Played some Halo 3 today.

Reach > 3
b4d154fa9cbb5672177ba6b689b1b24472d703d9.gif

zap

That should do it.

Fun Reach
-Every playlist where the TU is in effect

Bad Reach
-Vanilla Reach playlists
-Campaign
-Firefight

too simple?

FTFY.

Seriously though, after playing Halo 3 for the past week (so good), I came back to play some Team Slayer to fight the good fight and vote yes on Proposition TU. Dear lord, I can't believe I could stand to play with the hugely inconsistent DMR in vanilla for so long!

I hate how grey the maps in Team Slayer are... but I do love having a lot more variety. If only there were colour skins for forge objects... that couldn't have been too hard, could it Bungie?

daedalius

Played some Halo 3 today.

Reach > 3

Eh, they both have their own issues.

TU Reach without a ton of garbage armor abilities is probably > 3 imo

Too bad you can't get away from the garbage armor abilities without going into 'horribly inconsistent 3 shot pistol land' with jumps that can't clear a ghost

FyreWulff

In 343's world were they believe that they still have no plans to get rid of Vanilla:

TITLE UPDATE >

Anniversary Classic
Anniversary Squad
Anniversary FFA
Anniversary BTB
The Arena
Squad DLC
Zero Bloom Slayer

COMPETITIVE > (non TU)

Team Slayer
Squad Slayer
Rumble Pit
Big Team Battle
Multi Team
Team SWAT
Team Snipers
Invasion
Team Objective

COMMUNITY >

Action Sack
Grifball
MLG
Living Dead (reduce to 2 local, load community variants into it, remove all default map variants)

COOPERATIVE >

Co Op Campaign
Score Attack
Firefight Doubles
Firefight Arcade
Firefight Anniversary

Both TU and non TU get two Slayer flavors. BTB redundancy removed. FFA redundancy removed. Both sides get an objective-heavy playlist. Note that this is in 343's make believe world where default Reach has remained default. My actual suggestion is different.

Hey You

Honestly, I can't think of much else. Maybe have less slayer playlists? And screw trying to please splitscreeners. I want more community maps in certain playlists. Make splitscreen have its own playlist or restrict it to a few playlists max.

Oh and Evade in Slayer gametypes too, whats so special about Objective that it gets to have evade but slayer doesn't? Having Evade exclusively to Objective isn't gonna boost TO's population. Let all Reach players enjoy this awesome AA.

Halo 2 is better than both Reach and 3 combined. Suck it.

Playing over Xbox Live > XBC

Fix what's there currently instead of developing new gametypes that are going to exist in a single playlist. The guy that was making Team Hotshot could have spent that time taking Evade out behind the barn and giving it the Old Yeller treatment. Weightings of gametypes still heavily favor what I'd consider to be 'fringe' gametypes in core playlists (Flag Slayer in Objective - really, Jeremiah?). We saw more Elite Slayer last night in BTB Anniversary than Neutral Bomb. I know I'd sure appreciate a refined core experience more than a novel gametype that I might play twice.

Your posts make sense. I like that. We should play Halo some time.

zap

Honestly, I can't think of much else. Maybe have less slayer playlists? And screw trying to please splitscreeners. I want more community maps in certain playlists. Make splitscreen have its own playlist or restrict it to a few playlists max.

Oh and Evade in Slayer gametypes too, whats so special about Objective that it gets to have evade but slayer doesn't? Having Evade exclusively to Objective isn't gonna boost TO's population. Let all Reach players enjoy this awesome AA.

Playing over Xbox Live > XBC

It's OK everyone, this guy is nuts, don't worry.

Overdoziz

Banned
TITLE UPDATE >
Anniversary Classic
Anniversary Squad
Anniversary FFA
Anniversary BTB
Squad DLC
Zero Bloom Slayer
Team Slayer
Squad Slayer
Rumble Pit
Big Team Battle
Multi Team
Team SWAT
Team Snipers
Invasion
Team Objective

COMMUNITY >
MLG

COOPERATIVE >
Co Op Campaign
Score Attack
Firefight Doubles
Firefight Arcade
Firefight Anniversary
There we go.

FyreWulff

Actual suggestion:

apply TU to everything.

Tell everyone with the Anniversary disc that it's been cool, but it's time to redeem their Anniversary Map Pack code that they all have and play via Reach. The Anniversary MP Demo can still be played in customs and LAN.

COMPETITIVE >

The Arena
Team Slayer (now 5v5, uses Squad gametypes w/ no AL, Camo or Evade)
Anniversary Classic (reduce to 2 local, bring in community classic remakes again, Anniversary required obviously)
Rumble Pit DLC (Anniversary required)
Team SWAT
Team Snipers
Double Team
Multi Team
Invasion (reduce to 2 local)
Squad DLC (Noble / Defiant required)
Big Team Battle (all DLC required, add Anniversary Slayer)

COMMUNITY >

MLG
Grab Bag (Action Sack and Grifball folded into one list, Grifball lives in Slot 3)
Living Dead (now 2 local, add community variants)
Zero Bloom Grab Bag (zero bloom slayer/objective with community made ZB-based gametypes sprinkled in)
The Lab ("beta" gametypes and experimental Megalo gametypes. List never guaranteed to stay in same config month to month. When FFA, name becomes "The Lab FFA")

COOPERATIVE >

Co Op Campaign
Score Attack
Firefight Doubles (Anniversary required)
Firefight Arcade

Unfortunately Reach cannot be reduced as much as 3 can be due to all the achievements that lock their existence permanently *sad trombone*

Reach 1.2:
- Remove bleedthrough since it cannot be separated out of current TU gametypes, except for Anniversary Classic for the Halo 1/2 simulation
- Fix health pack bug for Anniversary Classic
- RoF lock the 85% and ZB DMR
- RoF lock the 85% and ZB pistol
- unhook the Nerfle from bloom changes
- Remove "TU" nomenclature from all gametypes as the entire game is now TU

tl;dr Right now Reach has way too many Slayer-only lists

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
"To help ensure the vote is as fair as possible, starting today, we're flipping the voting options so Title Update gametypes will always appear as the first voting choice"

trololololol

-Vanilla removed. It's barely there as is, and it's been clear with the recent MM changes that 343 wants the TU (and with good reason), so get do. The fragmentation is ridiculous.
-If TU wins over TS, and TS gets changed to just TU, cut Squad Slayer.
-Cut some of the forge maps in TS, most of them are terrible, just have a few of the better ones.
-Cut out the fringe gametypes in Team Objective. Keep Flag, Bomb, King, Oddball, and Stockpile on low weighting if the starting weapons are fixed to be consistent with the rest of the playlist.
-REMOVE EVADE. Gimmie dat hologram back.
-Go back to the voting slots that Bungie had for Big Team aka get Slayer out of always being in slot 1. One of the best things that Jeremiah did was make Big Team a mostly objective playlist.
-A couple forge maps in Invasion/maybe some community variants made on non-forge world maps as well.
-I'd like to see Firefight updated, but it's such a mess at this point in the life cycle that I understand that it's not a priority.
-I understand that disc maps can't be optional in Anniversary, but is it possible to make Defiant and Noble optional in Anniversary playlists? There really isn't a good way to play those maps in MM right now.
-Remove default maps from Living Dead in favor of the "zombiefied" ones.

Halo 2 is better than both Reach and 3 combined. Suck it.

Known truth is true.

kylej

Banned
Reach just has so many playlists that nobody gives a shit about holy shitttt. I can't imagine what people new to Reach think... although they're probably just playing COD cause those games actually let you play what you want.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I keep a close eye on the community temperature, and what I am getting, is that AR starts would solve most issues.

lol, i really dont envy you.

for what i'd like to see with reach's mm;
- map exploit fixes (on top of bases on asylum/uncaged/countdown, etc)
- tweaked spawns on some of the worst offending maps; prisoner, powerhouse, etc.
- tweaked weapon placement on some maps; highlands, battle creek
- a beta playlist with additional changes to the sandbox including; jet pack drains quicker/recharges slower, bloom reduced (maybe 50/60%?), camo and armor lock removed, and the removal of bleedthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom