• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realised under Dax, I put pro pie, lol, no need to change it, cause you bastards have re-qouted it.

I wonder what a pro pie would look like? Hmmm.

Trey

It has been a decade. This golden trifecta bullshit has brought the franchise to its knees.

You brought up the Golden trifecta but didn't acknowledge it in the rest of your rant. What specifically does the balance between gunplay, melee, and grenades fail at to warrant such a negative response.

Overdoziz

Banned
Wouldn't a load out system work here as well. Depending on what load out you select would pick what group you play with? Lets say I like to play Pistol Shotty. I select that load out. Placing me in game with like minded individual is what you are suggesting correct? Would that be a solution?
Load outs should burn in the deepest of hells.

I just realised under Dax, I put pro pie, lol, no need to change it, cause you bastards have re-qouted it.

A gun that launched pies? I'm all for it, but it needs to be hitscan for H4 if I'm ever going to use it. Maybe a secondary fire that burst-fired three at a time at the sake of accuracy.

kylej

Banned
You brought up the Golden trifecta but didn't acknowledge it in the rest of your rant. What specifically does the balance between gunplay, melee, and grenades fail at to warrant such a negative response.

I brought it up because Bungie's "30 seconds of fun, golden trifecta" are symbiotic relics of the past, and representitive of stagnant thinking. Obviously having a gun, and grenades, and melee are not literally the only issue with modern Halo, but if you want to ignore my larger points and try to pat yourself on the back with "GOTCHA!" minutiae, feel free.

Trey

I brought it up because Bungie's "30 seconds of fun, golden trifecta" are symbiotic relics of the past, and representitive of stagnant thinking. Obviously having a gun, and grenades, and melee are not literally the only issue with modern Halo, but if you want to ignore my larger points and try to pat yourself on the back with "GOTCHA!" minutiae, feel free.

Nevermind.

To be honest the 'Golden Triangle' is something I would LOVE for them to go back to. Reach is an example of Bungie breaking they're own rules and screwing up because of it. Tack stuff onto the triangle (like equipment) but dont try and change the triangle into a square by adding another dimension (AA's) to it.

Really I could do with less melee in that triangle, but guns, movement and nade's are all I want in a FPS. I would love to see a FPS game get abilities right, but im not sure I want that game to be Halo. The core Halo gameplay is good enough for me.

To be honest the 'Golden Triangle' is something I would LOVE for them to go back to. Reach is an example of Bungie breaking they're own rules and screwing up because of it. Tack stuff onto the triangle (like equipment) but dont try and change the triangle into a square by adding another dimension (AA's) to it.

Really I could do with less melee in that triangle, but guns, movement and nade's are all I want in a FPS. I would love to see a FPS game get abilities right, but im not sure I want that game to be Halo. The core Halo gameplay is good enough for me.

Yes.

Halo 1-2

220px-Triangle.Equilateral.svg.png

Halo reach

post-21654-1220430105.gif

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

eeeemmmmmm pie.

I thought you liked Halo 3.

I like Halo 3 but it would be pretty ignorant not to realize that Over is pretty spot on lol. The fact that BR, Nades and movement is great in Halo 3 is sort of a side effect of the real golden triangle they created. :p

Elzar im tempted to say this is Reach:

I did have a picture of a optical illusion here, but it was waaay too big. It was just a messed up triangle.

Trey

Yes.

Halo 1-2

220px-Triangle.Equilateral.svg.png

Halo reach

post-21654-1220430105.gif

Still a polygon. It counts!

I like Halo 3 but it would be pretty ignorant not to realize that Over is pretty spot on lol. The fact that BR, Nades and movement is great in Halo 3 is sort of a side effect of the real golden triangle they created. :p

I hate the jump but I don't find much of what you said objectionable. CQC as an entire gameplay function needs a serious reworking. It's too formulaic. The shotgun, sword, and melee become much too circumstantial rather than a reasonable range to want to engage in.

Still a polygon. It counts!

I hate the jump but I don't find much of what you said objectionable. CQC as an entire gameplay function needs a serious reworking. It's too formulaic. The shotgun, sword, and melee become much too circumstantial rather than a reasonable range to want to engage in.

Agreed!

Hydra, I think I agree with Elzar though. :p

Karl2177

I was going through my friends list on bungie.net, and checking their Reach K/Ds. All of my real life friends have a K/D below 1.12. Then I go through the NeoGAF section and the lowest is Homeboyd at 1.22(just .01 lower than Sai kun). I wouldn't say anyone here is bad.

But was he idling/not playing the game? Moving to the same position on the map and firing continuously suggests otherwise. He's literally playing the game but I equally see the frustration. They never banned HLG players, they just blocked the spots.

Late back to this but I was being jokingly severe.
The guy was an asshole though. I can accept idling (the sudden urge to shit, brother's fallen down the well etc) but to deliberately not play while we could easily win is enraging. Another case of 'shouldn't have gone in alone' me thinks

I was going through my friends list on bungie.net, and checking their Reach K/Ds. All of my real life friends have a K/D below 1.12. Then I go through the NeoGAF section and the lowest is Homeboyd at 1.22(just .01 lower than Sai kun). I wouldn't say anyone here is bad.

K/D alone is a pretty bad stat to look at though to be fair, its easy to inflate it, and its easy to deflate it by screwing around too much. If there was a score per minute stat aswell as a K/D that would be the best way to judge skill.

Trey

K/D alone is a pretty bad stat to look at though to be fair, its easy to inflate it, and its easy to deflate it by screwing around too much. If there was a score per minute stat aswell as a K/D that would be the best way to judge skill.

What do you mean by score per minute? Kills or that end game number they give you that supposedly rates how well you did?

Where did you get that idea from?

I don't really know, actually. Oddly, it was familiar to me, as if it were from an old dream that I can't quite remember.

Late back to this but I was being jokingly severe.
The guy was an asshole though. I can accept idling (the sudden urge to shit, brother's fallen down the well etc) but to deliberately not play while we could easily win is enraging. Another case of 'shouldn't have gone in alone' me thinks

Ah ok, like I said, I can see how it's frustrating.

I am so curious to see how the order playlists appear effects populations.

What do you mean by score per minute? Kills or that end game number they give you that supposedly rates how well you did?

I don't really know, actually. Oddly, it was familiar to me, as if it were from an old dream that I can't quite remember.

You know what, ignore me. I meant score per minute, but that applys more to CoD than Halo, a lot of people on CoD sit in a corner all game and end up with like 5 kills 1 death. A pretty good K/D but a aweful SPM. In the CoD games that actually show it having a good K/D and a good SPM meant a lot more than just a good K/D.

Not sure how well that would apply to Halo, that kind of camping doesnt seem to happen just as much, that said K/D alone is a pretty poor metric, its so easy to abuse.

daedalius

Load outs should burn in the deepest of hells.

^

Always start BR/AR, fast movement non-crap inertia, non-shit jumps, working trueskill

I wouldn't mind drop in drop out in social games, because who cares about social game records? Go in and screw around. When you want to get SRS, play Ranked.

1.17 bay-beee

and Bungie took the Golden Triangle and turned it into the Gold* Table in Reach, with one of the legs a quarter inch shorter than the other three.

*12Karat plate

Tawpgun

^

Always start BR/AR, fast movement non-crap inertia, non-shit jumps, working trueskill

I wouldn't mind drop in drop out in social games, because who cares about social game records? Go in and screw around. When you want to get SRS, play Ranked.

Sounds good to me.

What would GAF say to revolutionizing movement in Halo though. Let's assume Chief does have that thrust pack... What if you always had it?

What if you could wall jump (once) maybe a double jump/higher jump, a prolonged jump (as in jump further horizantally.

MAYBE add in a dash (though nowhere near as ridiculous as evade)

Because as broken as Jetpacks are goddamn are they fun to use. And if everyone had a neutered jetpack... might be cool. It would have a recharge on it after every use.

Homeboyd

K/D alone is a pretty bad stat to look at though to be fair, its easy to inflate it, and its easy to deflate it by screwing around too much.
If there was a score per minute stat aswell as a K/D that would be the best way to judge skill.
Pretty much all I do.

#excuses

Ramirez

Someone hasn't played with Tashi.

Hey You

No seriously, Halo 3 has pretty shitty netcode, when it works its amazing. When its laggy its pretty crappy. Other than netcode though im curious why Hey You prefers Reach.
Maybe it's because I only played a few games of 3 yesterday and I've been playing Reach (somewhat) regularly since launch (getting close to 7000 games!) and not H3.

I guess you just like a different style of Halo to me. :( I personally want AA's in general to die in a fire, you probably prefer Reach because of AA's?
I know this isn't directed at me, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer H4 not to have AA's in Matchmaking.

Let us have the option in Custom games and maybe in an action sack playlist.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I agree. I see a lot of randoms with high K/D's that absolutely suck in a fair fight, i.e when they aren't camping with power weapons, which is probably how their K/D's got so high in the first place.

As of now my K/D is 1.5, but I don't really consider myself an elite player because my winning percentage is just 60%.

GhaleonEB

'Sup.

Ken

Sounds good to me.

What would GAF say to revolutionizing movement in Halo though. Let's assume Chief does have that thrust pack... What if you always had it?

What if you could wall jump (once) maybe a double jump/higher jump, a prolonged jump (as in jump further horizantally.

MAYBE add in a dash (though nowhere near as ridiculous as evade)

Because as broken as Jetpacks are goddamn are they fun to use. And if everyone had a neutered jetpack... might be cool. It would have a recharge on it after every use.

Sounds like Brink's movement system (wall jumps and double jumps), which wasn't all that bad but it would definitely feel weird to be doing that as an armored Spartan.

Tawpgun

Sounds like Brink's movement system (wall jumps and double jumps), which wasn't all that bad but it would definitely feel weird to be doing that as an armored Spartan.

Well that's the thing. Yeah you're armored, but the armor is suppose to augment movement, not hinder it.

In the books spartans are portrayed as absurdly fast, mobile, and quick.

In the games they behave very tame.

I thought this would make it so they seem more like actual spartans.

Overdoziz

Banned
So like I mentioned earlier I decided to create a better version of Asylum. I came to the conclusion that Asylum was beyond saving so I decided to completely rebuild it from the ground up. The version I have right now is a bit of a hybrid between Sanctuary and Asylum. For example; the ramp from courtyard up to sniper hut was a nice idea but the execution was pretty terrible on Asylum. I made it a bit more use-friendly. I did add stuff from Sanctuary like breaking the snipe-to-snipe line of sight and the jump up to ring 3.

Pictures:

Currently it uses 4500$ budget. If I were to remove the light it would be around 4000$. The Asylum in matchmaking right now uses 5500$ budget.

I'll raise carbine eventually.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So like I mentioned earlier I decided to create a better version of Asylum. I came to the conclusion that Asylum was beyond saving so I decided to completely rebuild it from the ground up. The version I have right now is a bit of a hybrid between Sanctuary and Asylum. For example; the ramp from courtyard up to sniper hut was a nice idea but the execution was pretty terrible on Asylum. I made it a bit more use-friendly. I did add stuff from Sanctuary like breaking the snipe-to-snipe line of sight and the jump up to ring 3.

Pictures:

Currently it uses 4500$ budget. If I were to remove the light it would be around 4000$. The Asylum in matchmaking right now uses 5500$ budget.

I'll raise carbine eventually.

looks like a nice improvement. any frame rate issues while sniping? got killzones on top of the bases and other structures (aside from the central ring)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom