• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Anybody else worried that there is this general fear of the BR returning? Like it's Voldemort or something.

It just seems like it's taboo after all the bad players on Bnet created this myth about it being "too easy" to use.

Sweeping is kind of an issue, but if they make it hitscan and place the shots really close together leaving the barrel, it wouldn't be.

Anybody else worried that there is this general fear of the BR returning? Like it's Voldemort or something.

It just seems like it's taboo after all the bad players on Bnet created this myth about it being "too easy" to use.

Scrubs cry about the BR its just what happens, I havnt noticed any fear and actually the opposite most i talk to are excited for it to come back.

And the others just dont care.

If Halo 4 Has no bloom and a BR ill shut up complaining I PROMISE.

FyreWulff

The obstacle is Megalo isnt it? I was under the assumption Megalo operates in a separate environment to campaign (in which firefight operates) and thus the maps are either one or the other and not both.

Rebuild both campaign and megalo to one integrated system? Problem solved (not a small task)

I may be wildly off mark but I believe part of the issue is that Megalo is set up for a different networking environement than Firefight or Campaign

In theory, and I'm summarizing the SHIT of this, Megalo would still not be present in Firefight. What'd happen is Firefight would load all the data it'd need from the map data and then load a Firefight-specific map variant and use the existing lockstep networking from there. This of course assumes Megalo will be coming back. The advantage Megalo had was that Bungie could make completely new gametypes months to years after launch and they'd still work fine on LAN with all connected boxes without any title updates. With Halo 2 or 3 any new gametypes would have required everybody to be on the same version. 343 has already made it clear that they think about LAN differently.

EDIT: I hacked this post down a bit

Yup, no argument there.

I remember my first comment after playing the beta that first day, I said Reach didn't feel like a Halo game. This week I played Halo for the first time in months, first CEA and then Reach. And the contrast was enormous, and reminded me of that first time playing the beta. It doesn't feel or play anything like it should.

I can't stand Halo 1's rules about jumping. I feel like I get robbed of a jump because the engine thought I was moving just a millimeter downwards and therefore ignores my button press. I either then plummet to my doom or just walk right into an Elite I was trying to jump over and die.

CyReN

Voldemort = DMR
Harry Potter = BR
Neville = Pistol

I don't know why the bad players complain. If they play ranked, they wouldn't see anyone that is great with the br. That is, if true skill works. If not, blame true skill and not the br.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Voldemort = DMR
Harry Potter = BR
Neville = Pistol

:lol

I just worry because I've been at Bnet at its worst, and I'd rather not have devs listen to their shitty complaints about weapons they can't use/get killed with. I know the DMR was canonically necessary(?), but it also felt like a deliberate rejection of the BR legacy.

I don't know why the bad players complain. If they play ranked, they wouldn't see anyone that is great with the br. That is, if true skill works. If not, blame true skill and not the br.

If you just had AR starts in Social and BR in ranked, I think that would be perfect (Did H3 do this? Can't remember)

Also, any gametyes you would care not to return?
headhunter

zap

I just worry because I've been at Bnet at its worst, and I'd rather not have devs listen to their shitty complaints about weapons they can't use/get killed with. I know the DMR was canonically necessary(?), but it also felt like a deliberate rejection of the BR legacy.

If you just had AR starts in Social and BR in ranked, I think that would be perfect (Did H3 do this? Can't remember)

Also, any gametyes you would care not to return?
headhunter

If I don't want to play seriously, I still want to have fun. BR starts need to be available on both.

Whichever rifle they decide to bring back better not be able to shoot across BTB maps.

This. Only 2x scope please.

I don't know why there's always a debate over what weapon to start with. Give both AR and the BR equivalent, like Slayer Pro did in Halo CE. That way people can zombie their way with a bullet hose while getting picked off by precision weapons.

Redford

aka Cabbie
^ Didn't mean to make it about starting weps, I know we had this discussion last night. :p

Just anxious that Halo 4 will be gimped by 343i treading carefully around the bad players, trying not to piss them off. I dunno, I see it in how the playlists and TU are handled in Reach, and I don't want it to compromise 4.

zap

I don't know why there's always a debate over what weapon to start with. Give both AR and the BR equivalent, like Slayer Pro did in Halo CE. That way people can zombie their way with a bullet hose while getting picked off by precision weapons.

BR/AR starts is the best idea, by far. I don't care if I have to press Y for fun. Just let me spawn with a decent weapon!

I can't stand Halo 1's rules about jumping. I feel like I get robbed of a jump because the engine thought I was moving just a millimeter downwards and therefore ignores my button press. I either then plummet to my doom or just walk right into an Elite I was trying to jump over and die.
Yeah jumping is kind of the only thing that CE didn't do well movement wise. The timing and responsiveness is just a bit off.

DMR had nothing to do with canon. The only reason that Bungie made the burst fire rifle to begin with was because of packet loss from playing online when they were creating Halo 2. When Reach, I think they felt the netcode and internet standards are high enough to return Halo to single shot. They also wanted to split the 'utility' weapon into two weapons for Reach, the Magnum and the DMR (which is why the DMR has a 3x scope), but then they forgot to make the Magnum good.

Halo 3's jumping felt fine to me, but I didn't play a ton of Halo 2 so that might have been better. I just liked the various types of jumps and ghost edges and stuff you could do in Halo 3.

GhaleonEB

Jumping does feel a touch off in it, but they nailed everything else. Reach got almost nothing about player movement right.
Whichever rifle they decide to bring back better not be able to shoot across BTB maps.

This. So damn hard.

PNut

Banned
Just anxious that Halo 4 will be gimped by 343i treading carefully around the bad players, trying not to piss them off. I dunno, I see it in how the playlists and TU are handled in Reach, and I don't want it to compromise 4.

You're a good player then? lol

Bad players, noobs, and casuals are the majority. They will be catered to in Halo 4. Just like in Reach. Now is the time to learn how to adapt. 343 isn't going to market to the 5% you see in Halo forums.

Ramirez

Bad players, noobs, and casuals are the majority. They will be catered to in Halo 4. Just like in Reach. Now is the time to learn how to adapt. 343 isn't going to market to the 5% you see in Halo forums.

It's still very possible to please both crowds...I just don't want to feel like the game is fighting me in every possible way like Reach. You can keep your ARs and all garbo, just give me a reliable weapon I can dominate with if I'm good enough at the game. Don't put artificial shackles on me. :(

Halo 3's jumping felt fine to me, but I didn't play a ton of Halo 2 so that might have been better. I just liked the various types of jumps and ghost edges and stuff you could do in Halo 3.

I don't really have a problem with the height of the jump, it's just how damn floaty the jumps are, which wasn't as bad in Halo 2, although they were still quite floaty in H2 compared to Reach.

My perfect jump would be Reach's gravity with a bit higher jump. You can definitely get some air, but you don't hang around in the air for 3 days.

It's still very possible to please both crowds...I just don't want to feel like the game is fighting me in every possible way like Reach. You can keep your ARs and all garbo, just give me a reliable weapon I can dominate with if I'm good enough at the game. Don't put artificial shackles on me. :(

Bungie continuously lowering the individual skill gap with each new game (yes, even including Halo 2) has been probably the most frustrating part of Halo.

Redford

aka Cabbie

I didn't really mean to say I was anything. But anyways, Halo 3 did well enough and I'd say it was at least basically suitable for competitive play. Halo Reach has to be tweaked to hell to even come close to being player v player rather than player v game.

PNut

Banned

Ranked playlist is the solution. But it has to really reward something and promote improvement.

TheOddOne

Firefight/Invasion has to be back burner stuff, it seems like fillers if anything. Focus heavily on the campaign and Halo 4 multilayer (not this forge world crap).
I say, Firefight need to get equal treatment as campaign and multiplayer. Invasion can go screw itself in the pitts of hell.

Kibbles

Fear? I'd welcome back the Battle Rifle with tears of joy.

Sprint will be in Halo 4

It will be 30 fps

It will most certainly not have dedicated servers

It will have drop in, drop out

Kinnect will feature heavily

Quickly change it before Bobs has a heart attack! ; )

Too late.

No seriously, Halo 3 has pretty shitty netcode, when it works its amazing. When its laggy its pretty crappy. Other than netcode though im curious why Hey You prefers Reach.

Let all Reach players enjoy this awesome AA.

I guess you just like a different style of Halo to me. :( I personally want AA's in general to die in a fire, you probably prefer Reach because of AA's?

Strangest thing. I've played a different game inbetween but when I loaded up my temporary history in the theatre it had games there from five days ago.

Also

First game of Team Snipers today

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=934180582&player=The Henery

Any chance of seeing NathanJW9000 banned forever from xbox live? His service tag is 'MAD' his k/d is 0.26 (!) and he spent the whole game idling in the same corner, shooting at the wall (so he was at his controller) and returning to the same spot when he died.

Looking through his game history it looks like he trolls Snipers by going in and getting shit all kills.

Strangest thing. I've played a different game inbetween but when I loaded up my temporary history in the theatre it had games there from five days ago.

Also

First game of Team Snipers today

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=934180582&player=The Henery

Any chance of seeing NathanJW9000 banned forever from xbox live? His service tag is 'MAD' his k/d is 0.26 (!) and he spent the whole game idling in the same corner, shooting at the wall (so he was at his controller) and returning to the same spot when he died.

Looking through his game history it looks like he trolls Snipers by going in and getting shit all kills.

What would you ban him for exactly?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My buddy and I have been having a conversation about what we want in Halo 4 and I want to hear what Gaf wants/doesn't want. I am sure this have been covered before. I think its pretty clear everyone wants armor abilities....Armor lock is everyone's favorite./sarcasm off.

I would like to see the BR return. I want a health bar. I want the Halo 1 pistol. Basically I want Halo 2 with a Halo 1 Pistol and I would be set I think. Anyone else care to list things?

Well if he is, as thee henery is saying, idling/not playing the game then he certainly could get temporary bans/credit reductions for it.

Banned forever seems a little extreme, unless it's a multiple repeat offence.

But was he idling/not playing the game? Moving to the same position on the map and firing continuously suggests otherwise. He's literally playing the game but I equally see the frustration. They never banned HLG players, they just blocked the spots.

Fuchsdh

I actually really loved the DMR because it was in some ways a spiritual successor to the single-shot mode BR we saw at E3 that never was. I think there was a lot more oomph in firing the DMR and while I know people don't like the bloom indicator, the DMR functioned really well in making you feel like a champ when you just dispensed two-shot Jackal kills one after another. How it works in multiplayer is another option.

Short answer: bring back the BR with a single-shot mode. It's already canon (Contact Harvest)!

Also, question: why the hell aren't plasma weapons hitscan? Particle weapons should be moving at such a speed that they'd be faster than conventional bullets and shouldn't require leading. Halo should just give us whatever explanation is necessary to give us all hitscan weapon and focus on differentiating the weaponry in other ways. The failed experiment that was the Plasma Repeater should not be repeated (har har.)

My buddy and I have been having a conversation about what we want in Halo 4 and I want to hear what Gaf wants/doesn't want. I am sure this have been covered before. I think its pretty clear everyone wants armor abilities....Armor lock is everyone's favorite./sarcasm off.

I would like to see the BR return. I want a health bar. I want the Halo 1 pistol. Basically I want Halo 2 with a Halo 1 Pistol and I would be set I think. Anyone else care to list things?

I don't want the Halo 1 pistol--it is simply too powerful to the exclusion of other weapons and redundant with other options if the BR comes back. I think the Reach pistol was a fairly good compromise--the push from 3 shots to 4 or 5 shot kills actually gives you a chance to survive... although I think the other reason I dislike the pistol playing Anniversary lists is that some of the Halo maps just aren't that great in terms of spawning. Playing a game of Oddball on Prisoner where the team with the ball just needs to camp all the levels and shoot the other team as they spawn on the bottom floor is an exercise in curb-stomping. Maybe shifting it back closer to its Halo 3 incarnation, where its powerful and accurate but lacks a scope--or give it a smaller 1.5x scope, or something to weaken its "USE IN ALL SITUATIONS" utility. That just gets boring to me.

I'm down with a health bar, even with Reach's health system or something like it--where you quickly regenerate health when only taking minor damage and it takes progressively longer as you lose more.

I have been on GAF for a while, I'm pretty confident this is what people want from halo 4, here goes.

Overdoziz-wants the AR to play a starring role in all playlists.
Gabotron-wants invasion to be cut.
Hydra/Zalin-wants split screen to be cut.
Kyle J-wants the game to be sub 30fps.
Juices-wants vehicles in every playlist.
Bobs-wants H4 to play like Reach.
Dax-doesn't wanna see the pro pie return.
Devo-wants more jet packs.
OddOne-powerhouse remake.

Generally more bloom, more credits, more armor abilities and more uncaged styled maps.

Gui_PT

I have been on GAF for a while, I'm pretty confident this is what people want from halo 4, here goes.

Generally more bloom, more credits, more armor abilities.

Personally, I would like for assists to be easier to obtain. I never get any and it's frustrating.

Generally more bloom, more credits, more armor abilities and more uncaged styled maps.

That game would please so many people.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I don't want the Halo 1 pistol--it is simply too powerful to the exclusion of other weapons and redundant with other options if the BR comes back. I think the Reach pistol was a fairly good compromise--the push from 3 shots to 4 or 5 shot kills actually gives you a chance to survive... although I think the other reason I dislike the pistol playing Anniversary lists is that some of the Halo maps just aren't that great in terms of spawning. Playing a game of Oddball on Prisoner where the team with the ball just needs to camp all the levels and shoot the other team as they spawn on the bottom floor is an exercise in curb-stomping. Maybe shifting it back closer to its Halo 3 incarnation, where its powerful and accurate but lacks a scope--or give it a smaller 1.5x scope, or something to weaken its "USE IN ALL SITUATIONS" utility. That just gets boring to me.

I'm down with a health bar, even with Reach's health system or something like it--where you quickly regenerate health when only taking minor damage and it takes progressively longer as you lose more.

I love the Anniversary play list. If I play MP anymore it is all I play. I just wish it included more maps. The most MP games played by me was easily Halo 2. I just loved the maps and the game play. I played Halo 3, but I didn't enjoy the maps as much. They didn't have the same flow to them, to me anyway.

I think the pistol is a great starting weapon. It equalizes the field imo. Because you can take out someone with a power weapon with the pistol. It is harder to do so with an AR.

Seems about right. :)

Calm Killer

Personally, I would like for assists to be easier to obtain. I never get any and it's frustrating.

I think shooting your teammates before they die should allow an assist. This would improve the assist system greatly.

kylej

Banned
It's still very possible to please both crowds...

Ranked playlist is the solution. But it has to really reward something and promote improvement.

The solution is universal AR/BR (or whatever their equivalents are) starts in every single playlist, and having a "TrueSkill" system that actually works. Nothing to do with playlists, nothing to do with maps, it's as simple as that. Let me always have a close range and medium/long range weapon on me, and let me play against people of my own skill. Some people only want to use the AR? That's fine, let them play against similar people. I don't want to play against them, and they don't want to play me, so why are we both punished for our different playstyles?

It has been a decade. This golden trifecta bullshit has brought the franchise to its knees. If 343 continues - after the absolute runaway success of COD - to limit people to static playlists and force a spray and pray gun in your hand the entire time believing they have some perfect view of Halo - then they're going to be stuck beneath 4 COD titles on the XBL activity list this time next year.

Calm Killer

The solution is universal AR/BR (or whatever their equivalents are) starts in every single playlist, and having a "TrueSkill" system that actually works. Nothing to do with playlists, nothing to do with maps, it's as simple as that. Let me always have a close range and medium/long range weapon on me, and let me play against people of my own skill. Some people only want to use the AR? That's fine, let them play against similar people. I don't want to play against them, and they don't want to play me, so why are we both punished for our different playstyles?

It has been a decade. This golden trifecta bullshit has brought the franchise to its knees. If 343 continues - after the absolute runaway success of COD - to limit people to static playlists and force a spray and pray gun in your hand the entire time believing they have some perfect view of Halo - then they're going to be stuck beneath 4 COD titles on the XBL activity list this time next year.

Wouldn't a load out system work here as well. Depending on what load out you select would pick what group you play with? Lets say I like to play Pistol Shotty. I select that load out. Placing me in game with like minded individual is what you are suggesting correct? Would that be a solution?

I really hope Frankie reads this post, there's still time to implement all this 343, best game ever confirmed!

Wouldn't a load out system work here as well. Depending on what load out you select would pick what group you play with? Lets say I like to play Pistol Shotty. I select that load out. Placing me in game with like minded individual is what you are suggesting correct? Would that be a solution?

Loadouts would only work if people couldnt choose power weapons. The Snipers, Rockets, Shotguns, Swords etc still need to be map pickups.

kylej

Banned

Sure, and make non-ranked playlists drop in, drop out on top of that. You like Pistol/Shotty, select that, play against of group of like-minded people, and if some quit to go eat dinner, just replace them in the game. No need for insane quit bans. Player choice is everything. The Halo franchise sticking to its ancient roots of 'what a console FPS should be' (aside from Bungie's never ending ineptitude in trying to copy COD with invulnerability and invisibility at the press of a button) is over. It's like trying to sell a horse and buggy next to the Audi dealership. Move on already.

TheOddOne

3528bd637d87836bb42799290c5987d6e434a0e3.jpg

Feels nice to be called out though, I feel part of the family :)

Full of hate, I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom