• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Lead game designer of Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 David Goldfarb chimes in:

eb1e8e80fd95771267999e5b9cf4226a54a94ec0.png

:lol

Do you think level design is that easy? Dax, do you really?
Yes, Hyper. I really do think it is that easy. Obviously.
Did you skip the phrase, "to finish this monster up?"
I certainly don't remember that, but my mind jumps back to Reach's vehicles and bringing in Jamie Griesemer. If you say there's nothing wrong, I'll take your word for it, but I don't think there's anyway you can ask for help without avoiding the implication that you guys are having a bit of trouble. There's nothing wrong with that in the sense that this is 343's first game and there are bound to be bumps along the road. Perfectly understandable.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
If you say there's nothing wrong, I'll take your word for it, but I don't think there's anyway you can ask for help without avoiding the implication that you guys are having a bit of trouble. There's nothing wrong with that in the sense that this is 343's first game and there are bound to be bumps along the road. Perfectly understandable.

Continuing to staff up junior positions is a pretty common occurrence as you head towards the end of production in game development. I wouldn't read anything extra into that post.

Continuing to staff up junior positions is a pretty common occurrence as you head towards the end of production in game development. I wouldn't read anything extra into that post.
Oh, that's it? Right. That would've been a better way to put it. As I said, reading the tweet for what it was, I immediately that of Reach's end cycle and having to bring Griesemer in.

Booshka

Oh really? That sucks I refuse to put my credit card details onto my xbox so I guess no more map packs and stuff for me then. :/

You can still buy Cards that are based on real currency, it works fine on PSN (SEN?). Just purchase a $20.00 card instead of a 1600 point card. No different than buying a gift card at a store.

FyreWulff

Yes, Hyper. I really do think it is that easy. Obviously.

I certainly don't remember that, but my mind jumps back to Reach's vehicles and bringing in Jamie Griesemer. If you say there's nothing wrong, I'll take your word for it, but I don't think there's anyway you can ask for help without avoiding the implication that you guys are having a bit of trouble. There's nothing wrong with that in the sense that this is 343's first game and there are bound to be bumps along the road. Perfectly understandable.

As long as the industry refuses to move past the crunch cycle style of development and the "must have shipped a game before you can be hired", a bunch of junior contractors and so on will always be slathered onto a game in it's home stretch, and pulling people of other projects the studio is working on. It gets your name on a shipped game (most of the time, when office politics doesn't result in your name being removed even if you worked on the game for 3 years) so you can get your foot in the door.

I made and shipped an entire 30 hour RPG with one other guy, if I could have somehow brought on a bunch of people at the end to finish it off we would have had it done a year before it ended up being released (but we couldn't, since we were making the game in our spare time with hundreds of dollars). It's still very true that a game just kind of starts assembling itself together in the last home stretch like magic.

I was so close to posting this in Tashi's thread:

Pfft. Its a Halo game they are all the same anyway, dont worry all the features will port across. Copy and Paste style.

Am I doing it right?

I really didnt want to encourage Gaf to follow suit though, im actually surprised no one has said that yet.

GhaleonEB

IIRC, past Halo titles have gone content complete around June/July to meet their ship dates. So they're likely entering the final six month or so crunch phase to get everything in. Normal stuff is normal.

The exciting thing is, Halo 4 is almost done. So close to peek behind the curtain now...
HaloGAF, you are tiring. :)

<3

feel

baghdadbob.jpg

Development hells with resets with one year to go till ship got us the glorious Halo CE (sp/mp) and Halo 2 (mp), so I'm all for it.. lol

Retro

On a side note, what are additions from Reach that everyone does want to see return?

Assassinations (I like the 'feel' of them, and it's kind of a nice 'fuck you, you suck so bad you didn't even see me coming' moment).
Spartan Customization (would like to see it improved)
Sprint (well, kinda, I still like my idea better)
Hologram (I'm still surprised how many people fall for it)
Keep making Forge better.
Propipe

Otherwise, Reach didn't bring much to the table that I liked, definitely the weakest of the series thus far. Sorry Bungie =(

On that last note, to jump into the AR conversation from yesterday; I was thinking it might be interesting to make the AR a pickup-only weapon (the defaults would be the Silenced-SMG and Pistol, of course) and beef it up slightly by giving it an underslung launcher that uses the player's grenades as ammo. It would effectively turn your "Throw Grenade" button into "Propipe Jr."

Hammer assasinations would've been so cool.

My two cents; hit the ground under them to pop them up, then a nasty side swing. Ragdoll goes flying like 50 feet to the left.

heckfu

Banned
Omgomgomg I just got the Devo Valentines message.

Oh how I want to share, to bask in its utter beauty...but alas. I cannot.

Ahh yes. Fuckin insane. My favorite is the begging and pleading of having the DMR be 15 shots per clip rather than 10 or something. It's like really? That should be fuckin automatic.

DMR was originally 12 shots in the mag, and the needle rifle was like 16 or something meaning both weapons were 2 kills and change per clip. They were both changed to be 3 kills per clip. Of course we still have the pistol with 1 kill and change per clip, which makes no sense.

This often gets attributed to Sage (like all the shit in Reach) but I'm sure I remember it being Chris Carney who was adamant in his opposition to an increased ammo counter for the dmr and pistol. He said something like "I had to have my arm twisted to convince me to raise the clip from 12 to 15 (on the dmr) but the pistol was not being touched; It has to remain a sidearm at best".

The basic logic is how it would impact the game, irrespective of how Bungie described it. Every flag game would be centralized around the Falcon if it could carry a flag.

Hornet could carry a flag and it was far from being the centre of btb games. The Falcon could really work if both sides still had the turrets (dampened versions) but you could also use them as flag seats. So the gunner and flag carrier would have to consider which seat to sit in strategically depending on which way they were flying back i.e the gunner should be facing the action.

Saying all that, I thought the Hornet functioned perfectly well. I remember some truly heroic moments holding the flag on the side, jumping out into the man cannon on Avalanche while the pilot engaged a hog..... I miss BTB.

They DO move in herds...

Melodica cover

Could someone please render this clip? It's me giving the exterm D to several HaloGaffers.

Pretty disgusting dude.

This often gets attributed to Sage (like all the shit in Reach) but I'm sure I remember it being Chris Carney who was adamant in his opposition to an increased ammo counter for the dmr and pistol. He said something like "I had to have my arm twisted to convince me to raise the clip from 12 to 15 (on the dmr) but the pistol was not being touched; It has to remain a sidearm at best".

That was Josh Hamrick if I recall correctly.

Kuroyume

Banned
From Reach:

The DMR - I want it back. I don't hate the BR but I prefer one shot. I would like to see them keep the range and rate of fire too. I've never had the long rage problems with it like the other people on here.

Needle Rifle - Much better than the Carbine because of the super explosion thing.

Pro pipe - Okay weapon... No complaints.

Armor effects - Bring a little bit of extra fun to multiplayer in their own way. I would like to see them expand on this and offer many more types. If you're not going to give us cool/fun/goofy customizable helmets/armor then bring in the lighter fun with the armor effects.

Stockpile - I guess I'm one of the few people on GAF that enjoys this. I liked it mostly on Swordbase. It's awful on Highlands.

Weak vehicles - Armor/Defense-wise they're weak. That's good. They still deal too much damage though and both the guass hog/tank need to have their splash damage reduced along with the removal of the fuel rod from the Banshee.

Map rules - I like how they didn't close people from several playlists this time around for not having the maps like they did with H3. It didn't effect me because I got the most of the maps free except for Anniversary which I got myself, but if I didn't benefit from getting free maps as a GAF member and was blocked from most playlists again I would have been pissed. The way they handled it this time around was appropiate if they're going to stick with matchmaking and not include a sever browser.

Can't really think of anything else that I liked from this game...

Was running some TS and Starwolf joined me, and all of the sudden DLC starts showing up. So odd how DLC algorithm will work for some people and never work for others.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
HaloGAF, you are tiring. :)
Word bending is a art.

Re: DMR talk, I like the DMR's range because I could not stand when I would get shot across map with the BR and I couldn't touch them. I wouldn't mind going back to the old range of the BR, but the range should effectively work the same for everyone.

Can someone answer something for me? What was Jason Jones involvement with Halo following 2? I don't remember seeing him much in anything Halo 3 related and the games after that. Is there any connection to the lack of his involvement in the newer Halo games and the decline in quality? I still loved Halo 3, although it wasn't as good as 2, and I enjoyed ODST for what it was. Reach though as everyone knows has many issues. I just wonder how much he affected the development of the series.

Can someone answer something for me? What was Jason Jones involvement with Halo following 2? I don't remember seeing him much in anything Halo 3 related and the games after that. Is there any connection to the lack of his involvement in the newer Halo games and the decline in quality? I still loved Halo 3, although it wasn't as good as 2, and I enjoyed ODST for what it was. Reach though as everyone knows has many issues. I just wonder how much he affected the development of the series.
I remember reading/seeing somewhere that he didn't work too hard on Halo 3, but played through the campaign and offered advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom