• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what lame? Your SSX run, that's what, also you seen this?

please don't tell them your real SSX score, don't embarrass me!

I just want everyone to know Elzar was threatening to touch little boys. I just want to clarify that.

Also that snowflake looks like it could be pretty awesome but it seems silly that they valued finding it so high in the day and age of Youtube lol.

Btw Lyphen etc if your still interested in the SSX thing I uploaded my last run here.
Why tell them, when I can show them right Elzar? :p

Lame? I will have you know that I have seven writers cranking those gems out. They are all works of art.

Also, Happy Birthday Krow.

You should donate those writers to the Halo 4 cause. The tragedy behind your words would elevate it beyond simply being a video game.

EDIT: Happy Bday Levi and Zalin!

I just want everyone to know Elzar was threatening to touch little boys. I just want to clarify that.

Also that snowflake looks like it could be pretty awesome but it seems silly that they valued finding it so high in the day and age of Youtube lol.

Btw Lyphen etc if your still interested in the SSX thing I uploaded my last run here.
Why tell them, when I can show them right Elzar? :p

phoenix-wright-objection.jpg

You want to take it to fisticuffs mister?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Since it's birthday overload, do I share a Birthday with anyone on March 14th? and I'm on now if anybody want to play.

stealthbdayreminder

and Tashi, Kobe >
Kobe is a fuckin clown. It's an All Star game Kobe, have fun. "Fuck you, I'm goin for the most points ever and most MVPs ever in All Star!!!!"

Ramirez

The first half yeah, I see what you're saying. But it felt kind of low budget to me, the Shepard pieces at least.

Well, they all look low budget and corny when you really break them down...

Really? I know you are talking about the Scout squad and family live action trailer but they weren't TV ads?

Well, whether they were on TV or not, they wasted the time to make them...

Haha, no. That girl is dating a Pittsburgh Steeler now.

Man, what immaculate taste, you really let one slip through the cracks there!

Okay, HaloGAF, I'm working on a little video project and I need a fancy logo to put in the corner. I'd do it myself, but I haven't had access to 3DS Max since college. I know some of you are 3D modeling wizards, so here's the dealio:

Informal Misriah Logo Contest
- Take this logo and extrude it slightly.
- Give the model a shiny surface. (Preferably something white/gray so I can change the color later in Sony Vegas.)
- Render a video of the model slowly spinning about its vertical axis.
- Make sure the video background is a solid color (i.e. no shadow) so I can easily isolate the logo.

Prize: I will write one (1) Halo Parody Song™ for you. You get to pick the song, although it really helps if I'm familiar with it.*

There can be multiple winners, depending on how many of the logos I think I'll end up using.

*Lyric quality is not guaranteed. Void where prohibited. No cash value. Canadian winners may be required to answer a mathematical skill-testing question.

feel

Why was there an argument about rape going on in the cross assault thread? Only glanced at a couple of pages back from the ban, didn't find the source and lost the will to continue, that thread is huge and moves very fast.

Why was there an argument about rape going on in the cross assault thread? Only glanced at a couple of pages back from the ban, didn't find the source and lost the will to continue, that thread is huge and moves very fast.

People were discussing sexual harassment and sexism with the FGC, something I've not dealt with personally but seen plenty of, and the guy timedog was responding to said something along the lines of "it's not a big deal until a woman gets raped due to it." In other words he has no problems with how women are treated in that particular gaming community and they should just suck it up until one of them is actually physically assaulted. Timedog called him out on his shit and got banned for directly insulting the guy.

FyreWulff

Was asleep so i missed this earlier

So...

Slayer
CTF
Assault
KotH
Infection (?)
Stockpile
Headhunter
Oddball
Territories

That looks good. I'll spit out a checklist of finer details that I think 343 would be looking for:

Slayer - Should have starting spawns for at least 4 teams (Multi Team)
CTF - nothing special
Assault - Make sure Neutral Bomb is in there
KotH - hills should be properly ordered for Non-Crazy Moving King, with the centralmost hill always being the first one
Infection: At least 3 Safe Havens on the map for if Safe Havens ever comes back (so there's a point to random movement)
Stockpile - only needs to support two teams
Headhunter - at least 5 different redemption zones
Oddball - At least 3 oddball spawns for Multi Team 3 Ball, recommend at least 5 for random respawn locations for Hot Potato
Territories: nothing special

Give me a moment and I'll link you to the Slayer gametype I'd like you to test with. (Also, usual disclaimer that this checklist isn't a guarantee that 343 will accept it, however I believe it will improve it's chances dramatically)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
People were discussing sexual harassment and sexism with the FGC, something I've not dealt with personally but seen plenty of, and the guy timedog was responding to said something along the lines of "it's not a big deal until a woman gets raped due to it." In other words he has no problems with how women are treated in that particular gaming community and they should just suck it up until one of them is actually physically assaulted. Timedog called him out on his shit and got banned for directly insulting the guy.

Women really are treated like shit in the gaming community (not that you need to be told that). The gears community continually shits on the females, it's sickening. I'm not familiar with how they are treated in COD/Halo or other games, but I imagine it's on par with Gears.

It's a fucking video game. Physical characteristics should have no fucking bearing on how someone is allowed to compete, or how others are treated.

Sucks TD got banned for doing the right thing there.

Haven't in like a week but yea I still stream. Don't pull viewers with all the Pros these days.

Yeah, assault was bitching earlier about that. I'll keep lookin' for ya.

Side note about assault. Some guy did a DDOS on him earlier I think. Apparently this "PJ" guy goes around knocking "pros" off their connection if he ignores them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35503071&postcount=5307
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35503242&postcount=5327
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35503255&postcount=5328
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35503433&postcount=5347

Women really are treated like shit in the gaming community (not that you need to be told that). The gears community continually shits on the females, it's sickening.

Sucks TD got banned for doing the right thing there.

Yup and people defending those that would make disparaging remarks or trash talk based on gender are not helping the overall stigma of being a "gamer."

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Lame? I will have you know that I have seven writers cranking those gems out. They are all works of art.

Also, Happy Birthday Krow.
I mean, at least your jokes are better than your donging.

<3

Women really are treated like shit in the gaming community (not that you need to be told that).
For fucking reals. My inevitable permaban is going to happen in a thread like that.

feel

I see. Ban sucks, he was right to be livid, but rules are rules, hope he gets back soon and the other guy doesn't.

And I turned on my xbox after some time away from it and saw the valentine's day xbox cam picture of you guys for the first time just now, cute hehe

Why was it not brought to my attention earlier that my favorite Halo musical piece was also "secretly" remixed for Halo Reach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQyLgmNgl5Q

I'm sooo happy though, because it rocks! hahaha

Overdoziz

Banned
Was asleep so i missed this earlier

That looks good. I'll spit out a checklist of finer details that I think 343 would be looking for:

Slayer - Should have starting spawns for at least 4 teams (Multi Team)
CTF - nothing special
Assault - Make sure Neutral Bomb is in there
KotH - hills should be properly ordered for Non-Crazy Moving King, with the centralmost hill always being the first one
Infection: At least 3 Safe Havens on the map for if Safe Havens ever comes back (so there's a point to random movement)
Stockpile - only needs to support two teams
Headhunter - at least 5 different redemption zones
Oddball - At least 3 oddball spawns for Multi Team 3 Ball, recommend at least 5 for random respawn locations for Hot Potato
Territories: nothing special

Give me a moment and I'll link you to the Slayer gametype I'd like you to test with. (Also, usual disclaimer that this checklist isn't a guarantee that 343 will accept it, however I believe it will improve it's chances dramatically)
I've got it all covered (including a neutral flag) aside from the Oddball thing. Personally I prefer one spawnpoint but I'll add some more. Does giving them a sequence number do anything in Oddball? Like giving the spawnpoint in the middle of the map the number 1 so it spawns there in the beginning of the match.

Trey

I got pretty close myself today since some douche was gettin' under my skin in another thread about misogyny in the gaming industry.

Here's the jist of just how mad i got:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35502066&postcount=243

Kreia.

Not saying that's enough, or that it balances the obvious pandering nature of most prominent female gaming characters, but they do exist.

To tie this into Halo, Cortana really has a chance of breaking out as one of the better female icons in gaming. The set-up is all there: she's the one of the most important characters (arguably the most important character) in one of the largest gaming franchises around. The lore set her up exquisitely to be a great multi-dimensional character, and 343 is pretty intent upon really hammering down the Chief and her relationship.

Even with Halo 3's "definition", she isn't over-sexed either. The potential is all there.

Tunavi

Banned
How long is Timedog's ban?

If they perma'd Timedog from GAF, that would be like kicking Egoraptor off a gaming reality series.

Kreia.

Not saying that's enough, or that it balances the obvious pandering nature of most prominent female gaming characters, but they do exist.

To tie this into Halo, Cortana really has a chance of breaking out as one of the better female icons in gaming. The set-up is all there: she's the one of the most important characters (arguably the most important character) in one of the largest gaming franchises around. The lore set her up exquisitely to be a great multi-dimensional character, and 343 is pretty intent upon really hammering down the Chief and her relationship.

Even with Halo 3's "definition", she isn't over-sexed either. The potential is all there.

I would love to see Cortana expanded upon and it looks like she will be for sure which is nice.

Kreia.

I agree with this. One of the things I love about Halo is that Bungie does a really good job at playing with common cliches. Cortana seems like a typical, over-sexed female character (at first glance--that is, without any in-story knowledge), but not only does she serve a role more similar to Chief's mother (being based on Halsey, which also makes Chief going through High Charity to find her even more heartwarming), but the only instance where she's given any sexualization is when she's practically raped by the Gravemind (Karen Travis's Evolutions story expands on this greatly), and it isn't sexually appealing in the slightest. If anything, it just makes you feel more sympathetic for the character.

A few other examples of Bungie turning cliches on their head are Johnson being the last named character to die on-screen in 3, and Emile being Bungie's take on an Army of Two/Gears of War-style badass character. While he may seem badass out-of-lore, he's also insane, viewed as Noble's wrath, and depicts nearly every negative trait of a Spartan.

Master Chief is totally a cliche though... Cortana was never 'really' sexed up or anything. She was always a hologram. A very important, intelligent hologram.

Is the Chief meant to be smart? Or just all brawn?

I agree with this. One of the things I love about Halo is that Bungie does a really good job at playing with common cliches. Cortana seems like a typical, over-sexed female character (at first glance--that is, without any in-story knowledge), but not only does she serve a role more similar to Chief's mother (being based on Halsey, which also makes Chief going through High Charity to find her even more heartwarming), but the only instance where she's given any sexualization is when she's practically raped by the Gravemind (Karen Travis's Evolutions story expands on this greatly), and it isn't sexually appealing in the slightest. If anything, it just makes you feel more sympathetic for the character.

A few other examples of Bungie turning cliches on their head are Johnson being the last named character to die on-screen in 3, and Emile being Bungie's take on an Army of Two/Gears of War-style badass character. While he may seem badass out-of-lore, he's also insane, viewed as Noble's wrath, and depicts nearly every negative trait of a Spartan.
Hmm. What strikes me about what you're saying, about Cortana & Emile in particular is that someone thought up of these good characters, had plans to make them appear as you described and then in the final products practically none of that is there, or there at such a superficial level it nolonger has much significance.

80% of Cortana's "depth" is in the textual fiction and we have that perception of Emile due to what was written about him in the lead up to Reach, but in the game it's barely hinted at. In fact I'd go as far to say it's contradicted, Emile ends up looking like one of the best Spartan's.

Master Chief is totally a cliche though... Cortana was never 'really' sexed up or anything. She was always a hologram. A very important, intelligent hologram.

He's quite intelligent. Schooling was a big part of the Spartan program.

Trey

I read that short story, but I always took the metaphorical invasion at face value, letting my naivete sequester the fitting parallel of Gravemind tentacle rape to some small, dark corner of my mind. Thanks for that.

Good read though. Best thing Karen Traviss brought to the Halo universe; second or third best short story in the anthology.
Ugh, Glasslands.

Master Chief is totally a cliche though...

I see why you say that, but I can't quite agree. I guess I'm buying that Bungie maxim of trying to "put the player in the armor" hook line and sinker, but whom would you really compare the Chief to? Closest thing would be Doom Guy or Marathon Dude (never played either), and they're more nothing than a cliche like Duke Nukem.

There is almost no Chief character.

Which is why the Arbiter was so good.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Chief in Halo 4 because if there's one thing they have said about the game, its that its main characters are Chief and Cortana.

Hmm. What strikes me about what you're saying, about Cortana & Emile in particular is that someone thought up of these good characters, had plans to make them appear as you described and then in the final products practically none of that is there, or there at such a superficial level it nolonger has much significance.

80% of Cortana's "depth" is in the textual fiction and we have that perception of Emile due to what was written about him in the lead up to Reach, but in the game it's barely hinted at. In fact I'd go as far to say it's contradicted, Emile ends up looking like one of the best Spartan's.

He's quite intelligent. Schooling was a big part of the Spartan program.

Is the Chief portrayed in any way smart in the campaign? My memory is rusty and all I can think of is either "bring Cortana to location X" or "retrieve Cortana". Can intelligence even be portrayed in player controlled characters?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Is the Chief portrayed in any way smart in the campaign? My memory is rusty and all I can think of is either "bring Cortana to location X" or "retrieve Cortana". Can intelligence even be portrayed in player controlled characters?
In the campaigns by and large(as far as I remember) Chief was just the yes man going from point A to point B fulfilling mission objectives.

In this new trilogy they actually seem to want to flesh him and Cortana out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom