• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawnling

Ehazm.png

2rMyx.png

8ZCxo.png

Recarpo

So it seems like everybody has been using promethean vision, but I don't really hear the pinging that we've heard about when somebody else is using it. Is it really subtle or am I just missing it?

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, everything is so good. Instant spawing, works. Personal drops, works. So good.
Gotta wait till the vids are on Youtube though, the MLG player performance has deteoriated for some reason.

I feel like the maps would play a lot better in a more heavily populated gametype.
5v5 or even 6v6.

Spawning with plasma pistol.. eh.

So it seems like everybody has been using promethean vision, but I don't really hear the pinging that we've heard about when somebody else is using it. Is it really subtle or am I just missing it?

They said it's not in this build in the first or second video.

--

It's interesting how the Ordnance meter carries over between deaths. Not exactly a kill-streak reward, then.

--

Also, David Ellis has a beautiful beard.

kylej

Banned
Man oh man oh man I hope Forge mode is good in this game. Hopefully there are a whoooooooooooole lot of toggles to turn parts of the game on and off.

BR sounds like an angry chipmunk chirping away in a tree.

kylej

Banned
As anticipated, the mech map looks too busy, too large, and too complex. I don't want someone's art project, I want something with balance, choke points and a clean aesthetic.

Has it been said if the Spartan Ops episodes expire after a while? Meaning, do the weekly missions get replaced every week or is it something I can go back to?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
As anticipated, the mech map looks too busy, too large, and too complex. I don't want someone's art project, I want something with balance, choke points and a clean aesthetic.

Tell us about the frame rate before you move the goalposts again.

From watching the gameplay, yeah it absolutely looks like there's not enough engagements happening. This could be due to the players being a little more cautious but still.

The mechanics however look very fluent and outstanding. I'm really excited for November. I feel like once players actually learn the maps/drops/systems and more abilities/upgrades/packages get added along with tuning by the devs, the gameplay will speed up quite a bit.

Can't tell if I'm watching a video or powerpoint slides.
so smooooth

I think the sticky detonator looks way more useless than the grande launcher tbh.
I haven't seen one kill with it yet by the pros.

Those bullet casing sounds, mmmm.

Also no one thus far has picked up/called in the needles, I heard it was pretty good.

I wanna see it.
I REALLY like the sounds of you taking damage.

Er, you're wrong. DMR smashes Reach's.

Yeah, im gonna second this one, after watching it in the first video (Hoaxer on Haven(Actually Adrift)).. It's a fucking boss at like 10:33
I've only watched Neighbor on Haven, where he only used the DMR briefly. Didn't like what I heard, but opinions and all that. So far I'm not a big fan of any of the human weapon sounds; pistol especially. I'm sure I'll get used to it or maybe even change my opinion.

kylej

Banned

Excuse me? I was worried about the framerate because the current Halo game I'm playing runs like ass, including maps approved by your studio for consumer purchase. If I'm the master of hyperbole, you're the master of selective responses. I still have not heard a confirmed locked 30fps from 343.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sounds like the drops are mainly in the "infinity" gametypes.

Completely disagree, the map looks great and the flow looks great from the videos. It didn't look like the MLG guys had much difficulty getting around the maps.

Gui_PT

Midnight IMAX 3D Prometheus last night was super fun.

Pitch to wife: "It's a...sci-fi movie...about the origin of human life..."

Wife: "Oh, okay".

First shocker scene had her flipping out. I honestly didn't mean to misrepresent the movie, I just didn't want to give anything away.

She still liked it in the end.

You don't take your wife to the movies. You take her to Broadway Musicals

Bigup to all them brothers who know what I'm talkin about

On another subject. I went on a Halo book hunt. This country is depressing. Only 2 Halo books I found in the whole city were in an actual Comic Book store and they only had the Halo Graphic Novel and some crappy comic book.

Seriously though, Broadway Musicals

BigShow36

BR sounds like an angry chipmunk chirping away in a tree.

And it appears to do about the same amount of damage too. I don't think I saw any BR encounter's resolved in a 1v1 situation, it was all teamshot to finish someone. Personally, I'm pretty tired of being completely restricted as an individual player and being completely reliant on teamshot to do any significant damage.

Hopefully the damage will be increased prior to launch, or at the very least hopefully increasing the damage in custom options doesn't completely break the entire sandbox.

I thought Reacharound looked pretty good as a map; the other one looked like Countdown and a little too cluttered for my taste.

The new medals look okish, it looks like they're going for an 80's videogame graphics which is cool.

HEADSHOT text still looks bad and out of place, POINTLESS.

The flow of both maps feel great.
IDK if I agree with that.
The gameplay I've seen so far seems like a cat n mouse chase using promethean vision and sprint.
I definitely think the maps need more than 4 players, but then it becomes even more of an unorganized mess.

But that just might be because they are learning the maps still.

The base speed is not very fast, which is a shame, but everything else looks pretty good. There is clearly an emphasis on core gunplay instead of the melee armor ability bash that is Reach, and to boot that core gunplay looks very consistent and very fun. The BR, Carbine, and DMR all looks like they will be great to use.

Farooq

Banned
Is Camo an armor ability again?

I ask because I think it would the logical choice to counter PV.

PV in the hands of a good player seems quite over powered, I already said this but I hope there is a counter.

If there is no counter, I expect to see inflated K/D's just like the jump from Halo 3 to Reach.

This ability with the map awareness of a good player, just doesn't seem balanced.

Woorloog

Banned
The base speed is not very fast, which is a shame, but everything else looks pretty good. There is clearly an emphasis on core gunplay instead of the melee armor ability bash that is Reach, and to boot that core gunplay looks very consistent and very fun. The BR, Carbine, and DMR all looks like they will be great to use.

Yep. I'd love to see a bit more base speed but otherwise the game does look great. Also great that no one seems to be rushing to melee others. Not sure if that's due to MLG players or if the weapons just feel so good they want to use them (in Reach, many weapons feel so bad i'd rather just melee someone, at times anyway).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Excuse me? I was worried about the framerate because the current Halo game I'm playing runs like ass, including maps approved by your studio for consumer purchase. If I'm the master of hyperbole, you're the master of selective responses. I still have not heard a confirmed locked 30fps from 343.

Consider yourself excused.

First thing: The sound! Man, everything sounds so meaty and... different, but in a good way.

In one video (it's either in Dev Commentary #1 or #2) but we finally get to see someone shoot the Rockets from a first person perspective... and they're pretty dang slow. Also the wall ate the guy's second rocket, but the Dev said that was a bug :lol

So far, I'm liking almost everything I've seen about this game. One huge questionable thing though is Promethean Vision. Unlike what the devs said, you can actually see people from pretty far away with it. I just hope there will actually be a counter to it, or it's toned down a bit.

EDIT: Have to acknowledge the Carbine. I.. I think I'm in love. It will probably be my starting weapon of choice. <3

kylej

Banned
And it appears to do about the same amount of damage too. I don't think I saw any BR encounter's resolved in a 1v1 situation, it was all teamshot to finish someone. Personally, I'm pretty tired of being completely restricted as an individual player and being completely reliant on teamshot to do any significant damage.

Hopefully the damage will be increased prior to launch, or at the very least hopefully increasing the damage in custom options doesn't completely break the entire sandbox.

Yeah BR vs BR battles looked pretty infuriating. I saw Neighbor on the white map struggling a bit, especially when shooting a jumping player. Limited range/spread is not something I want at all after Reach's DMR. Hopefully the Halo 4 DMR is decent enough at mid-range.

Why was bumper jumper changed instead of just adding another control scheme with a layout 343 felt was appropriate? If people want to play Halo 4 on classic BJ settings - even if it's detrimental to their performance - what is the issue? Change for changes sake.

LOL at the giddiness and excitement in Ellis' voice at the end of the Spartan Ops video, "You haven't seen anything yet." What do you mean?! It's already overwhelming, I don't get how this is little compared to what's coming.

Awesome stuff. Haven is beautiful. Not completely sold on Adrift - it just seems a little dark for my tastes, but the layout is simple enough in both that I understood the maps within a few minutes watching. Would have loved to see Longbow, but I understand why it's not in there. All in all, very good stuff, here, can't wait to play at PAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom