• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach E3 Trailer [M-CONF]

Kapura said:
so... wait. We can't have a Reach thread until Sept 7? Hmm. Does that mean we should dig up and start posting in the ODST thread again? or the Halo 3 one?
I think it means we keep our discussions to the threads that will pop up as new info is released. I don't think the mods intended that we tell our stories from Matchmaking here or organise customs in any Halo thread.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I find ARG's to be dull, hollow experiences. Most people that "participate" just sit back whilst other folks race to figure out the next part. Planted "moles" push along the narrative if the public falls behind the schedule and the dubious relevance to a particular source's canon are also particular annoying, reoccurring low points of such things.

ARG's also tend to engage a source's most hardcore following - which is pointless. ARG's are just a form of marketing and marketing to the types of people already certain to buy a specific product... pointless.

Blueblur1

FourDoor said:
You did that just to confuse me some more on purpose didn't you!!!! :lol
Not at all. I thought it might be interesting to people who don't regularly post in Halo threads. Plus, it wasn't going to get any outside attention buried in our threads.

Lazslo

Dani said:
I find ARG's to be dull, hollow experiences. Most people that "participate" just sit back whilst other folks race to figure out the next part. Planted "moles" push along the narrative if the public falls behind the schedule and the dubious relevance to a particular source's canon are also particular annoying, reoccurring low points of such things.

ARG's also tend to engage a source's most hardcore following - which is pointless. ARG's are just a form of marketing and marketing to the types of people already certain to buy a specific product... pointless.
Dani I usually never disagree with you. You are my Ghal if I was Dax, but your stupid and I hate you for this. You bite your tongue sir. You seriously didn't enjoy IRIS?

Sai-kun

Banned
Dani said:

Holy wow. I feel the same as Sparkss. Ilu Dani, but you are so wroooooonnng. iRIS was fun as hell (aside from not getting my cool swag!) and I really want there to be a Reach ARG. :D it should've started already, I think IRIS had started by this point. :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hydranockz said:
I think it means we keep our discussions to the threads that will pop up as new info is released. I don't think the mods intended that we tell our stories from Matchmaking here or organise customs in any Halo thread.

Well we could always make a thread in the online forum for that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
big ander said:
Why? ARGs are just optional, and I had a lot of fun with the Cloverfield, Lost, and Halo 3 ARGs. I'd love to see one for Reach.
I don't know, I never really cared for them. :/

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:
Another person that doesn't know about any of my attempts in the Online forum. =\

Well I am new, so you're right I don't. Maybe try it again; then post in the current thread we are chatting in as a reminder to check the online forum?

I can tell you for myself specifically if there was a Halogaf thread in the online forum I would be subbed to it.

Lazslo

Dax01 said:
ARGs are fun. It's all about the tease.
Thank you Daxster. Dani I'm just going to pretend you are absolutely psyched for an ARG for Reach. Dax, do you think we are actually going to get one, I would think it would start by now and with the success of Halo Waypoint, the potential for an ARG is higher then ever.
Also Dani can you or Ghal please give CPR to HaloGaf and make a super thread for Reach. I think it suits HaloGaf community really good to have a Megathread and since no big news will be coming out for awhile it would be goodnewsbears.

Falagard

Ssparks said:
Dani I usually never disagree with you. You are my Ghal if I was Dax, but your stupid and I hate you for this. You bite your tongue sir. You seriously didn't enjoy IRIS?

IRIS was poorly executed spoon fed garbage compared to the masterpiece that was ILoveBees.

I thought the mods decreed that there could not be a super thread until the game comes out? So I thought I would just have to lurk in the BWU threads until then...

Edit: ILoveBees>IRIS

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Grady Durden said:
I thought the mods decreed that there could not be a super thread until the game comes out? So I thought I would just have to lurk in the BWU threads until then...

Edit: ILoveBees>IRIS

That's what they are discussing.

Lazslo

Falagard said:
IRIS was poorly executed spoon fed garbage compared to the masterpiece that was ILoveBees.
Sadly I wasn't around for IloveBees but IRIS made summer of 2007 really interesting as a Halo Fan. I thought it was really cool because I never seen anything like that before. I mean even the people protesting for SOTA or that gamestop with the hidden option to click for some piece of the puzzle- it was written by Franky! I thought it was amazing and if they don't do one for Reach I will seriously be disappointed. Don't make the internet a promise...
Grady Durden said:
I thought the mods decreed that there could not be a super thread until the game comes out
Oh shoot I didn't know that, I probably didn't know that because it's hard to follow HaloGaf without a mega-thread but if the ModGods have spoken I will listen.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ssparks said:
Sadly I wasn't around for IloveBees but IRIS made summer of 2007 really interesting as a Halo Fan. I thought it was really cool because I never seen anything like that before. I mean even the people protesting for SOTA or that gamestop with the hidden option to click for some piece of the puzzle- it was written by Franky! I thought it was amazing and if they don't do one for Reach I will seriously be disappointed. Don't make the internet a promise...

I missed out on all of those things while I was in the Army, so I really don't know what I missed, or am missing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dani said:

They have switched from being a simple marketing tool to being more like community support, for roughly the reasons you note. They cost money to make and we certainly think of them as either fanservice, or externalized easter eggs. One of the least cynical things we do if viewed from that perspective.

Kibbles

OuterWorldVoice said:
They have switched from being a simple marketing tool to being more like community support, for roughly the reasons you note. They cost money to make and we certainly think of them as either fanservice, or externalized easter eggs. One of the least cynical things we do if viewed from that perspective.
Make sure you let whoever is in charge of Halo 2 Vista that they need to get the online back up and running. I just bought it and thought it was me having problems, but people on Bnet forums have said that it's been down for at least the past 2 days.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
OuterWorldVoice said:
One of the least cynical things we do if viewed from that perspective.

I'll concede this point. Quite a lot of folks, the dedicated fans, enjoy ARG's. They're popular and folks do feel engaged with them.

I guess, to me, they're Marmite. I'd rather have some jam.

Monocle

Dani said:
I'll concede this point. Quite a lot of folks, the dedicated fans, enjoy ARG's. They're popular and folks do feel engaged with them.

I guess, to me, they're Marmite. I'd rather have some jam.
Oh, you're one of those people.

Ramirez

Dani said:

Man, so true.

Ramirez and Zeouterlimits... please let my horrible thread die. I wish a mod would just delete it. That aside, I could really use some good Reach news/info/leaks/pics/renders or whatever. Going absolutely insane right now. Marcus and Joseph haven't posted any updates to Nobleactual in over 8 days. AHHHH!!!!

Ramirez

Deputy Moonman said:
Ramirez and Zeouterlimits... please let my horrible thread die. I wish a mod would just delete it. That aside, I could really use some good Reach news/info/leaks/pics/renders or whatever. Going absolutely insane right now. Marcus and Joseph haven't posted any updates to Nobleactual in over 8 days. AHHHH!!!!

:lol

Deputy Moonman said:

Link?

Deputy Moonman said:
How could I not support
i.e. flatly disagree with
a HaloGAFer's thread?

Church: Won't link you (now), for obvious reasons, but it's a pretty "popular" thread, you shouldn't be able to miss it.

ARGs: I am wounded Dani. The seemingly lack of one for Reach is honestly a little depressing, it's been a staple.
The simple but cool with the Cortana Letters, the big time with ILoveBees, the interesting but ultimately flawed Iris, even the Superintendent's Bnet activity was ARGish for me.
To me : It's some fun fluff for the hardcore community to rally around and enjoy together.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Zeouterlimits said:
How could I not support
i.e. flatly disagree with
a HaloGAFer's thread?

Church: Won't link you (now), for obvious reasons, but it's a pretty "popular" thread, you shouldn't be able to miss it.

That thread is crazy it's like he opened the hatch to all the rage in the world.

Kapura

Banned
I wanted to ask urk or Brian if the ability to create loadouts will carry over to normal custom games outside of Firefight. It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do, right? just Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. It would be awesome to be able to make shit like a Slayer variant with only dropshield, no health regen outside of dropshield, no medpacks, low shield recharge, and high weapon damage. It would be all about controlling your shields as mobile waypoints, which would kick so much ass.

Anyway, it would be nice to know in the BWU if not in the thread :)

EazyB

Banned
Kapura said:
I wanted to ask urk or Brian if the ability to create loadouts will carry over to normal custom games outside of Firefight. It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do, right? just Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. It would be awesome to be able to make shit like a Slayer variant with only dropshield, no health regen outside of dropshield, no medpacks, low shield recharge, and high weapon damage. It would be all about controlling your shields as mobile waypoints, which would kick so much ass.

Disregarding the fact that that gametype sounds dumb and is almost justification for why such a feature shouldn't see the light of day, I'm pretty sure Bungie's already said users will be able to customize the loadout palette for custom gametypes.

Ramirez said:
That sounds like a gametype from the mind of Collonade...oh wait.
Few are capable of appreciating the genius that is Team Bubbleshields on Colonaide.

Ramirez

Kapura said:

That sounds like a gametype from the mind of Collonade...oh wait.

GhaleonEB

Deputy Moonman said:
Ramirez and Zeouterlimits... please let my horrible thread die. I wish a mod would just delete it.
250px-Knight.jpg

OuterWorldVoice said:
This man here speaks truth.

Since ODST, Frankie and Bungie have long been saying that the ARGs are something they love to do for fans, and absolutely is not pointless. The more hardcore they keep the fans, the more they're gonna tell their friends to buy the game and play with them. It's simple 'I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine' philosophy that we do subconsciously.

I do it gladly.

Kapura

Banned
Ramirez said:
I guess spelling was the only thing that map got right.

I'm usually good at spelling :(
Now, that's not really fair. Blame Shishka for seeing it every three maps on Bungie day, not me.

EazyB

Banned
If you'd told me last Bungie Day that one map would be so horrendous that people would still be talking about it a year from then I would have laughed at you.

Instead I'm laughing at Kapura.

Edit: Since they focused on playing community maps last Bungie day I think it's appropriate that they reveal Reach's tools for creating community maps this coming Bungie Day.

Ramirez

EazyB said:
If you'd told me last Bungie Day that one map would be so horrendous that people would still be talking about it a year from then I would have laughed at you.

Instead I'm laughing at Kapura.

Since they focused on playing community maps last Bungie day I think it's appropriate that they reveal Reach's tools for creating community maps this coming Bungie Day.

Blame Shishka

flogging-dead-horse.jpg

Kapura

Banned
There were much worse maps than colonnade. Like Paranoia, Actuality-Break and Stonehenge. If I had had GAF customs to run my map through, I'm sure it would have been much better for it's first public trial. But alas, I am left with the shame of a map that had a flag-capping exploit, subpar spawning and appeared as often as it did not.

Top Bottom