• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

JB1981

BlueScrote said:
Friend Request Sent.

I played a couple of games of H3 today. The things that stood out the most to me are jump height, feel of DMR vs BR, and movement speed.
Playing halo 3 right now - love the BR!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:
I didn't really know people who play video games, on XBL especially, got easily offended about this kind of stuff. It's definitely not just HaloGAF either. Rape is one of the most common alternatives to "owned"

I honestly say it without really thinking because I know the difference between rape online and the real thing. Its just a common phrase you hear nowadays. Not exclusive to gaming either.

You didn't know people easily got easily offended by the casual and inappropriate use of the word rape?

Common usage also doesn't excuse it either. Just because all the cool kids are doing it isn't much of a defense.

Easy litmus test of appropriate use: would you see it used in such a way on daytime TV? In national newspapers? How about in the office or corporate functions?

You say it's use isn't limited to gaming? That may be true, but where else is used casually? You might see a specific pattern.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't even use rape/wape/cape/nape/drape or any variation of the word.

I just teabag+beatdown+shoot the enemy teams body, say they got donged on or caught the duke(that's shit for the uninitiated). Not that the enemy team even hears anything from me since I have Team & Party as my voice setting.

Of course this is if they've teabagged me first and started the whole mess.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Do you find it offensive or are you just against a little joke word a couple of us occasionally say? Serious question. I don't even use it regularly. If you want, replace it with one of the following...

Donged
Blained
BXR'd
Dongblained
Pooped on
I've expressed my thought on this before, but since we've come around again...I live with my wife and two daughters. So I have a very specific, traditional definition of the term 'rape', and all its variations, in my vocabulary. It's an issue I worry about and in just a few years will have to talk to my daughter about. I am a pretty thick skinned guy - you can't roll on Xbox Live and the internet at large and stay sane without being one. But I'm at least as offended by the inappropriate use of 'rape' as I am by any racial, ethnic or homophobic slur. There's no appropriate way to integrate its use into something as casual as winning a video game.

Dug

Banned
Anyone know the current situation with Microsoft deleting OG Xbox gamertags? I was looking one up today, but it was already taken by an OG Xbox Live gamertag. Did they stop deleting them?

kylej

Banned
I don't even associate wape with rape. I should probably clarify this because it was me and free who started using it first.

Halo Pro FearItself won his first tournament however long ago with Triggers Down. Upon winning, he quit his job at Best Buy in dramatic fashion and posted about it on the MLG forums. He talked about how he walked up to the store manager and flaunted his newfound money and fame, and proceeded to walk out never to return again.

At the end of this hilariously bizarre post he wrote "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape". That is the origin of wape. It's just a funny word that means nothing.

Sai-kun

Banned
kylej said:
At the end of this hilariously bizarre post he wrote "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape". That is the origin of wape. It's just a funny word that means nothing.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it is exactly, but wape is kind of a funny word for me, because no one ever says it online or anywhere (that I know) outside of this thread, so it's pretty limited in usage, and used fairly appropriately.

"Rape", and all of the (unfortunately) commonly-used phrases associated with it ("get raped"), i don't really like. :/ It's always the same damn losers on XBL whose top 3 words include "Get", "raped" and "faggot", and can't do anything else except suck at the game and repeat those words endlessly.

Merguson

Banned
kylej said:
I don't even associate wape with rape. I should probably clarify this because it was me and free who started using it first.

Halo Pro FearItself won his first tournament however long ago with Triggers Down. Upon winning, he quit his job at Best Buy in dramatic fashion and posted about it on the MLG forums. He talked about how he walked up to the store manager and flaunted his newfound money and fame, and proceeded to walk out never to return again.

Urban Dictionary says it means to wank and type at the same time.

So.. I guess... FearItself was.. um.. while typing that post?

It's not about being easily offended it's about some empathy for victims. I'm sorry but imagine you're a victim of such a horrible traumatic event and all you want to do is chill out and play some games. Then some fuckin' douchebag has to come around and yell or message "YOU GOT RAPED." It's gone from some recreational fun times to ugly mode in no time flat. Just think about other people.

I didn't know the origins of wape, thanks for clearing that up Kyle.

Alright I'm off my soapbox about this.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I say "get raped" and a bunch of other variations. Have been probably since the Halo 1 days when I used to play with my friends. Yea, I know it's fucked up. I know it's in terrible taste but to me it's just a word. I'm not trying to justify it, I shouldn't say it just to be sure not to offend anyone but that's just the way it is. Idk, maybe one day when I grow up I'll stop using it.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. I just realized we're less then 300 posts away from OT 6.
Oh shit.

I'm going to hop online in hopes of doing some dongblaining for a bit, then I'll work on prepping the next OP. I'll actually do a section with some stuff on the new maps this time around, honest.
Devolution said:
Honestly more people should just say "pooped on" since it's hilarious.
Word.

Tunavi

Banned
So.

300 posts to OT6.
3 weeks to the anniversary of Reach's release
3 months until CEA and title update
Halo 4 beta
1 year and 4 months until Halo 4.
Xbox 720/Halo 5

I'm ready for the ride

Tunavi said:
So.

300 posts to OT6.
Halo 4 beta
Xbox 720/Halo 5
End of FyreWulff's Frankie Boycott.

Addended.

Also: Thanks to ChenK for finding that sweet Mister Chief caption. It was awesome.

Tunavi said:
So.

300 posts to OT6.
Halo 4 beta
Xbox 720/Halo 5

I'm ready for the ride
But when do the Beta Hoppers get added to MM?

Tunavi

Banned
-Yeti said:
But when do the Beta Hoppers get added to MM?
I believe that the TU will actually happen in September for the beta, but won't affect matchmaking until November.

holy shit september starts in 2 days.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Oh shit.

I'm going to hop online in hopes of doing some dongblaining for a bit, then I'll work on prepping the next OP. I'll actually do a section with some stuff on the new maps this time around, honest.

Word.

lol. Yea. The thread is moving a lot faster now that Halofest is over.

Also I like it. dongblaining sounds good. People can yell YOU JUST GOT DONGBLAINED!!

lol

I know rape is a bad word you guys... but I just hope you all realise how many people around the world literally get shat on every day. The health risks it causes and the weird fetishes it can lead to are things to keep in mind before you decide to blurt out "get pooped on" over live. You never know when you're playing a victim of such abuse.

Lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:
You know I can just picture you the second you found out. I know I would damn well feel insulted but at the same time wouldn't be able to do anything but laugh at it.

What is it called when you troll thenuniverse, but then the universe trolls you back, but you're like, 'HAH!' that's what I wanted to happen!?

Ah yes. Keikakenfreude. All according to Keikakenfreude.

Sean P.

7BaEp.jpg

Thought some of you may enjoy seeing this

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Lol I just notices Ghaleon said, "in hopes of". Where's the confidence bro? Shit on those kids.
You're all now imagining him literally defecating on random kids. Since you now know how he looks like, you can't pretend its soffish anymore. You're welcome.

edit- Sean P. rocks!! Hooked me up with a Cortana code. Now I just need the Master Chief suit that comes with CEA.

Homeboyd

Yeah Im looking forward to the TU as well but Im wondering (and I saw a post from someone else about this a while back) how/when regular matchmaking updates will occur. Bulletin-worthy this week?

For instance, what playlists are being considered for removal, which new gametypes are being considered for existing/new ones, what fixes will be deployed for current maps/gametypes that aren't TU worthy, etc... just the standard MM maintenance Jeremiah handled in the past. I realize the TU is priority which is fine.. just wondering if this is something being looked at simultaneously.

Community maps should be placed in their own playlist(s) outside of core playlists IMO. Would be nice to have one community map playlist in the classic ++ hopper since FW is included in the new settings. Don't get me wrong, Im going to live on those new maps shipping with CEA. Just thinking down the road here...

But yeah, MM maintenance. Sup?

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
Lol I just notices Ghaleon said, "in hopes of". Where's the confidence bro? Shit on those kids.
I tried, but it didn't end well. I played three games in Premium Battle.

Game 1: It's CTF on Highlands. Two idlers on my team, and two others screwing with the idlers, leaving me and one other guy actually playing. It didn't go so well.

Game 2: Crazy King on Anchor 9. Two more idlers on our team. We still win, with me getting both the most kills and the most time in the hill. Pooped on'em 4 v 6.

Game 3: Assault on Highlands. One idler on our team, and two guys messing around on a Mongoose.

1 out of 3 went well, and that was despite having 2 idlers on hand. I think I'm done for night, time to work out and try to shed some of the calories I consumed at PAX. Even the players on Reach don't feel like playing tonight.

Picked up the CE 10th anniversary MC toy today, figured people would like this pic I took-

IMG_0315.jpg

Its a really nice figure. I love the look and feel of it. I wonder if we can get an CEA reworked chief down the line.

Ramirez

Man, looks like VH is going to take the Grunt home with two correct answers, I'll keep it open until tomorrow night.

Sai Kun, the one you sent me was correct, so you could easily be in contention here. ;)

Demoncarnotaur said:
Picked up the CE 10th anniversary MC toy today, figured people would like this pic I took-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/cplqpictures/IMG_0315.jpg[IMG]

Its a really nice figure. I love the look and feel of it. I wonder if we can get an CEA reworked chief down the line.[/QUOTE]
His visor is a little odd but that is pretty rad.

Ken

Demoncarnotaur said:
Its a really nice figure. I love the look and feel of it. I wonder if we can get an CEA reworked chief down the line.

Nice picture. Kind of "eh" on the figure though, especially the visor. Is this another McFarlane figure?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Demoncarnotaur said:

IMG_0315.jpg

Where'd you get it? Very cool.

Also, Frank, what's your gamer tag? Yours too Devin? Wouldn't mind adding you and any other HaloGaf peeps for some games tomorrow or just in general.

senador

Banned
Demoncarnotaur said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/cplqpictures/IMG_0315.jpg

Oooh, that's out now? I think I'll snag me one. Where did you get it?
----
I have the paperback version of Cryptum on order coming out next month. Somehow bobs was able to get it, but everywhere in the US says September. Anyway, I am wondering if Primordium coming out soon will be hardback first and if I'll have to wait like forever to get a paperback version. I would want matching books because I am weird like that so maybe I'll just get the hardback if that's the case. OWV, lybertyboy?

That's a book thing right? Hardcover first and it costs more, later release a paperback for cheaper?

Yup, McFarlane. The visor looks a little funky in that picture, but in person it looks a lot nicer. Its supposed to be a low poly version like the original games model. It is weird they made so many hard edges on it but yeah, I like it.. Its also bigger than past MC figures which is a plus.

Now my mind is spinning with all the possibilities in classic figures! Haha but seriously, I do hope we get more CE/CEA merch down the line.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Where'd you get it? Very cool.
senador said:
Oooh, that's out now? I think I'll snag me one. Where did you get it?

Gamestop actually. For some reason they always get these toys in way earlier and cheaper than TRU in my area. Also, the walmarts and targets in pittsburgh seem to never get any of these in.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
senador said:
I have the paperback version of Cryptum on order coming out next month. Somehow bobs was able to get it, but everywhere in the US says September. Anyway, I am wondering if Primordium coming out soon will be hardback first and if I'll have to wait like forever to get a paperback version. I would want matching books because I am weird like that so maybe I'll just get the hardback if that's the case. OWV, lybertyboy?

That's a book thing right? Hardcover first and it costs more, later release a paperback for cheaper?

Primordium will be hardback first just like Cryptum.

Sai-kun

Banned
Ramirez said:
Man, looks like VH is going to take the Grunt home with two correct answers, I'll keep it open until tomorrow night.

Sai Kun, the one you sent me was correct, so you could easily be in contention here. ;)

Ahhh I knew it :D

Also ugh @ the chief figures! I almost bought all 5 of them, but ended up getting a kinect + dance central after I got off work :p Dammit. I want them all so I can make the legendary shield!

Also: That Assault game on Abridged could not have gone better. It was amazing.

Top Bottom