• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach's Forge Mode Revealed

Gah I watched the unboxing video. Can't believe the Legendary edition is pre-sold out in Aus already, so annoyed I convinced myself not to get it.

Megatons, indeed. My biggest problem now is whether or not to mess around in forge before I start the campaign. What a great quandary to be in...:lol

wwm0nkey

Actually the ability to make object the hill or bomb are going to be AMAZING!

Soccer can now actually have a easy scoring system, it just blows the fuck up when it goes in the net! :lol

And all aerial assault games will just be fucking amazing!

MendicantBS said:
I didn't know in what thread should it be this info, so I'll just put it here. Also i'm going to translate some of it.
*snip*

Only 7 more weeks guys, CAN'T WAIT.
Zealot and Spire look far more interesting than Reflection, which seems pretty boring by comparison. Can't wait to try out those two maps.

Dax01 said:
Zealot and Spire look far more interesting than Reflection, which seems pretty boring by comparison. Can't wait to try out those two maps.
Visually or newness?
Because I think Reflection looks amazing in those shots.

Just from those shots I like the visual aesthetic of Reflection the most out of the maps we've seen...(I guess we've seen them all, actually? Damn.) Though Zealot looks sweet too and I'm pumped to see a low (no?) grav section.

Pete Rock

Blueblur1 said:
Rocket Race with color-matching Mongeese now?

Reach_MP_Hemorrhage09.jpg
What?! Say it is so! Confirm RR and I will end my Halo hiatus and pick up a legendary copy of Reach just to make up for missed time :lol

The only downside is that Reach still won't include any way of finding custom games with people who aren't on your friend list. Matchmaking will be limited to select hoppers, which Bungie will update regularly as they have in the past. If you want to play a game on a crazy map that isn't part of the designated matchmaking playlists, you'll have to find some friends online to join you.
Here's hoping these new Forge options allow for the more ridiculous gametypes to be implemented in matchmaking without the ability for players to grief, making the decision easier for Bungie to support the odd ducks out there :D That was my main problem with H3, you needed to have your friends list stacked full of people while being involved with all these different "groups" from the forums to even have an opportunity to experience the crazier custom gametypes, which was really a shame.

I know a few Halotracks fanatics who will also flip over this stuff, guys who inspired me to take the time to work around the merging glitch workflow to produce something playable and aesthetically decent, who would put dozens of hours into a single twisting racetrack in the skybox and somehow it would turn out amazing every time. It would be nice to group objects and copy/paste/flip as one unit for easy symmetry, but other than that all of the refined tools and the "phase" options are perfect.

With the new browse structure built right into the game I'd hope they also have a streamlined process planned for rotating maps in and out of matchmaking, at least in a community or Forge World specific hopper.

Can't wait to see what kind of gametypes come out of these new options, should be really great to see things evolve over time along with new Forge techniques.

I hope we can manipulate the camera options for the players, so we can control it isometric(Diablo, Halo Wars) and third person(gears of war, resident evil 5..) and first person in vehicles(for custom racing game gametypes)!

Just for the new page:

MendicantBS said:
I didn't know in what thread should it be this info, so I'll just put it here. Also i'm going to translate some of it.

Spanish site Levelup wrote a summary about Firefight VS, and these 3 maps:D :

Spire: "Seems to focus on Aerial Combat. Has Man-Cannons around the building, and elevators that take you to the top." They played Invasion on it.
Spire_gallery_pic_3450_0_30043.jpg

Spire_gallery_pic_3450_0_30040.jpg

Spire_gallery_pic_3450_0_30053.jpg

Reflection: IVORY TOWER!! my favorite map. "Exactly like you remember", they said. Although it looks so different.
gallery_pic_3449_0_30047.jpg

gallery_pic_3449_0_30035.jpg

gallery_pic_3449_0_30038.jpg

Zealot "A very modified version of the Map Midship with more space in the center, with a bottom floor, and the possibility of getting out of the ship, in the space, which has different gravity." Looks like Midship, but its a completely new map, Awesome :)
gallery_pic_3447_0_30025.jpg

gallery_pic_3447_0_30027.jpg

gallery_pic_3447_0_30030.jpg

They have more images of the maps, here, here and here

Only 7 more weeks guys, CAN'T WAIT.

JimboJones

I just hope this forge has some kind of snap to fit when building things, laying down bricks or grids at the correct angle or whatever in the last game was pretty irritating.

Zeouterlimits said:
Visually or newness?
Because I think Reflection looks amazing in those shots.
Both. You can go out in space on Zealot, and there seems to be many shenanigans to be had on Spire. From a gameplay standpoint, I can't get excited about Reflection in comparison.

It also doesn't help that I wasn't a huge fan of Ivory Tower. I thought it was an alright map (too many power weapons for my liking).

Halo: Reach Legendary unboxing – http://halo.xbox.com/en-us

JimboJones said:
I just hope this forge has some kind of snap to fit when building things, laying down bricks or grids at the correct angle or whatever in the last game was pretty irritating.

It has angle controls so you can set all of them at the same angle but I didn't see any snap to fit controls. Somebody?

Prine

Banned
This is also very sad. Knowing Bungie will never return to Halo :(

Are they exclusive to Activision or is the new ip they're working on exclusive to Activision?

What a gift for other consoles, to have Bungie working their system.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Why is it only Bungie can create such feature-rich FPSs on consoles?

No other console FPS comes close to the Halo 3 feature-set, even 3 years on. And here Bungie are again knocking it out the park.

Plus OMGIVORYTOWER.

Wow you guys are impressed with the stupidest stuff. This is called a sloppy map editor that is based off of a extremely sloppy bordering on unusable map editor. Woop-dee-doo. And it's called LOD not secret amazing LOD created by Bungie. It's just LOD. The same tech used since the beginning of 3d development. It's amazing stuff really, well it was 20 years ago. As ugly as those maps look and assets look, they better have some excuse for it...like that part of the map that isn't being used at all is being partially rendered for no real reason.

Even freggin Trials HD had map editing features better than this...and that's an indy game with an editor that was pretty blatantly minimalized indy. Let's not even get into the new rage of creation games like LBP and Warioware DIY that really step up to the plate in terms of console-game editting. This stuff is no longer interesting, Bungie. The game industry has moved on. The jack-of-all-trades mentality has left a lot to be desired here both in terms of how many maps the game is releasing with and the still ho-hum map editor. Luckily, H3 left the bar so low, as long as you put in an editor that functions sorta like an editor, you're gonna amaze the shit out our your fans.

Maybe Forge 3.0 will have trigger boxes or a terrain editor (which would make forge world obsolete). WOOOAH. How do they do it? Can't wait to watch the pat-on-the-back dev video on that amazing feature and then hear the fans scream about how the possibilities are endless.

Kapura

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Wow you guys are impressed with the stupidest stuff. This is called a sloppy map editor that is based off of a extremely sloppy bordering on unusable map editor. Woop-dee-doo. And it's called LOD not secret amazing LOD created by Bungie. It's just LOD. The same tech used since the beginning of 3d development. It's amazing stuff really, well it was 20 years ago. As ugly as those maps look and assets look, they better have some excuse for it...like that part of the map that isn't being used at all is being partially rendered for no real reason.

Even freggin Trials HD had map editing features better than this...and that's an indy game with an editor that was pretty blatantly minimalized indy. Let's not even get into the new rage of creation games like LBP and Warioware DIY that really step up to the plate in terms of console-game editting. This stuff is no longer interesting, Bungie. The game industry has moved on. The jack-of-all-trades mentality has left a lot to be desired here both in terms of how many maps the game is releasing with and the still ho-hum map editor. Luckily, H3 left the bar so low, as long as you put in an editor that functions sorta like an editor, you're gonna amaze the shit out our your fans.

Maybe Forge 3.0 will have trigger boxes or a terrain editor (which would make forge world obsolete). WOOOAH. How do they do it? Can't wait to watch the pat-on-the-back dev video on that amazing feature and then hear the fans scream about how the possibilities are endless.
u mad?

Mr. B Natural said:

Your life must suck.

big ander

Mr. B Natural said:

You're missing something:
the games that you mentioned were practically made for their map editors. They're creation games.
Halo has a map editor (I don't think it looks sloppy at all with all of the physics tricks and customization options) on top of having everything an FPS game has and more. With Firefight (with Gen Defense and VS) and Multiplayer and Campaign and Theater making up a delicious ice cream sundae, Forge 2.0 is only the highly customizable and game-life extending cherry on top.
And also, forerunner assets look awesome, stop hating.

Mr. B Natural said:

1tvloj.gif

NJ Shlice

Mr. B Natural said:

Everything okay at home?

Falagard

Voltron64 said:
Here's an off screen video of the last match I played. I believe it's called "The Cage" built into the side of the cliff as seen in the vidoc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Kzh_UxWzo

Thanks Voltron, that video was excellent. It's impressive to see what can be built with the new pieces in Forge World. I really like the Forerunner metal pieces rather than the stone pieces from Sandbox. It looks like we'll be able to build some really awesome maps with the new Forge functionality and the pieces they've created.

I can actually see myself playing around in Forge 2.0 now. I spent a few hours in it in Halo 3 and then decided I'd never touch it again. I can't imagine how people actually built the Forge maps they did in Halo 3 with the limited functionality of that version of Forge.

_Bro

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:

Those games are also 2D. So you're pretty much not making a good argument.

Let me help: You can do this on PC with much more flexibility. Scrubs *scoff*

Xblog

Neo Member
Shake Appeal said:
It's a 2v2 gametype. 2 Spartans fight against AI Covenant as they would in Firefight normally, only now there are 2 Elites with the Covenant controlled by other players. The Elites win if they kill the Spartans often enough to end the game. The Spartans, meanwhile, get a boost to their score and an extra life every time they kill a player-controlled Elite.

From what they showed, I presume it has the same level of customization as regular Firefight, and is also available in Matchmaking.

in fact and simply, it's 2players Spartans Vs 2players Elite with armee of convenants ?

Mr. B Natural said:

Anybody remember Mr. B Natural offering nothing but hate during the Beta? I do.:lol This guy is pathetic. Silly, silly troll.

Anyway, for anybody looking for some good Firefight VS videos, there are two of them up on Waypoint. Go check 'em out, they're awesome.

I love the announcer dude in Reach. He makes you want to say the things he says: "Sword Spree! Firefight! Double kill! Triple kill! Touch Luck, Catch on!"

Shake Appeal said:
Don't know where to start with that post, really.
Take it to him, Shake.

Truant said:
Forge is a joke compared to the Far Cry 2 editor, sure. Still looks kinda fun, though.
There are a few small ways it outstrips the Far Cry 2 editor, though, and once you factor in the customizability of gametypes and settings, it really is more flexible for anything except creating whole new outdoor areas. It's also far easier to just fuck around with, so from the point of view of the people who aren't serious map makers, it's probably more fun.

And I mean, Halo is just a better multiplayer shooter anyway.

Truant said:
Forge is a joke compared to the Far Cry 2 editor, sure. Still looks kinda fun, though.
The sharing of the FarCry 2 editor is a joke compared to Halo Reach.

Spire looks so awesome :D How many Invasion Map will be in Halo Reach?

Alucrid

Banned
I've never been proficient in a map editor, but this looks pretty cool. I'll probably let others do the work for me and reap the benefits from their hard work.

Alucrid said:
I've never been proficient in a map editor, but this looks pretty cool. I'll probably let others do the work for me and reap the benefits from their hard work.

My plan. My best contribution in Halo 3 Forge was a huge empty room for insane FFA Fiesta matches. We called it Bad Idea, and it was actually pretty ridiculously fun.

Falagard

Mr. B Natural said:
Wow you guys are impressed with the stupidest stuff. This is called a sloppy map editor that is based off of a extremely sloppy bordering on unusable map editor. Woop-dee-doo. And it's called LOD not secret amazing LOD created by Bungie. It's just LOD. The same tech used since the beginning of 3d development. It's amazing stuff really, well it was 20 years ago.

They're using imposters. They've been used for a while, but not 20 years. Guild Wars was the first major game that I noticed using imposters. Anyhow, I think they're doing something pretty novel in Reach, such as making world geometry imposters (terrain, mountains, etc.) rather than just smaller geometry such as rocks and trees.

Also, you're an idiot.

Top Bottom