• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Quotient

Insignificant. Master Chief Collection is a hell of a deal and I can't bring myself to believe some people do go crazy about the most insignificant of the features announced so far.. The damn resolution of 1/8th of the package.

Shame on you.

People are talking about it because they sacrificed the resolution for a feature!

Trey

That's what I meant.

Why does it do that? The remastered versions of Halo 1 and 3 aren't doing it. Why only Halo 2?

Halo 3 isn't remastered. It just runs at a higher framerate and resolution.

Halo CEA is two engines but when you switch the game has to load assets. With H2A, since the two engines are running in sync, the switch is instantaneous.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Can't believe this package has to be defended because of a few missing pixels in ONE campaign.

No one needs to defend anything. 4 great games. We all know who's complaining. The side that thinks it's still resolution that makes a good game. They need to realise that every one knows the Xbox One isn't some ridiculous power house. I honestly can't believe people are still trying to argue the resolution thing after the consoles been out for a year lol. I just laugh because I know IMHO that the most powerful system is having the worsed year for first party line up and it should be a wake up call for them... But it won't be. I'll take substance over flash in the pan graphics thanks

OrangeOak

That IGN preview got me really hyped.I never played Halo 1 Anniversary and I am really eager to experience it in 1080p/60fps.Anniversary 2 sounds amazing too.
I still can't really forgive them that Halo 4 map pack bullshit and their made up explanation for it but I am weak and will buy it probably day one.
I only hope that so many games in one won't split multiplayer community too much.

Wizman23

Banned
Are they still using Halo 4 medals in Halo 2 A. Please tell me its just a placeholder.

I agree with this. The Halo 4 medals are just....off. Same with the announcer. I know its the same guy, but the work he did on Halo 4 was by far his weakest. I'm sure it was by design to speed up his delivery, but his Halo 2 and Halo 3 call outs were by far the best.

Figments

Blame Microsoft, not gamers. They're the ones who valued a $100 webcam over 1080p.

Keep fighting the good fight, soldier.

It's not like the resolution wars wouldn't have begun even if Microsoft put more power in the box. People will always find something to complain about.

Anion

The dual engine stuff sounds like some insane witchcraft to me. I legitimately am more hyped even though I have no idea what that means to me lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This thread really shows how fickle GAF can be.

You have people out there that would have rather have 60fps than 1080p in other threads out there, but then there's people that still find it's a problem at this res even though they said in the article that they initially aimed for 60fps at 720p.

If that's what they could achieve with two graphical engines & two audio engines at the same time with an instantaneous switch, then I'm happy. Especially since they decided not to just settle for 720p like they initially achieved. I personally appreciate the ability to instantly switch between the old and new instead of just a new version done up and shipped out for some cash. By making efforts like these its shows that there was some love and care that went into this.

All I know is that the whole package looks amazing from the IGN video shown, and that no other collection package can touch this. November is going to be a great time.

At the very least, I'm glad that the resolution talk can be talked about here, and it better not end up in the official thread whenever that gets posted.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They are right. Halo 3 is only marginally better while Halo 4 looks REALLY good.

Halo 3 looks really good IRL tho. You really have to see them all running on a big, nice TV. Movies do it some justice, but the IQ on a big screen is surprising.

1328 x 1080: 1,434,240
900p: 1,440,000

So not even 900p.

So that's what "cinematic pixel counts" meant. My prediction was somewhere around 1,536,000 since that is comparable to a bluray movie minus the unused black bars.

I guess that was just a nicer way of saying "around 900p which is almost a bluray if you want to stay positive and bend the truth a little."

Though considering its running two engines at once and this is on the xbox, 900p is actually impressive enough since other xbone games running only 1 engine get stuck at 900p. I dont see why it needs to change so fast on the fly, though. Make the change a start button option that takes some time to switch and bump it up to 1080.

Dabanton

Halo 3 looks really good IRL tho. You really have to see them all running on a big, nice TV. Movies do it some justice, but the IQ on a big screen is surprising.

Will you guys be putting up some non YT 60fps footage?

The difference is startling.

Stormus

Funny, this true re-mastering of four fantastic games is $60, while Square Enix is charging the same price for a basically re-release of Sleeping Dogs.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hence why I said implication. It is part of a collection they have chosen to focus on 1080p/60 at every given opportunity. If you want to argue this wasn't their intention and there has always been this secret asterisk hidden beside Halo 2, that's fine, but I don't agree.

You can find DOZENS of quotes from me, including interviews and posts on this very forum, where I addressed this openly and honestly for months, including at the E3 reveal. There's no reason why you should be aware of every interview I ever do, but let me be clear that we have NEVER deliberately implied anything of the sort.

Bry0

Can't wait to see that gorgeous Halo 3 water in 1080p.
Let the sweet liquid flow around my feet.
Which reminds me, what about old custom forge maps? Will I need to remake Water World from scratch?

And even taking both comment literally, I could care less is more honest and accurate in most cases. If you care literally had no cares to give why would you even comment in a lot of cases. if you care, even a little, it stands to reason that you would be commenting no?

Like sorry dawgs, but usage dictates meaning, 'I could care less' is mostly used in today's day and age in the context of outlining that you don't care all that much about the subject.

And that's ok!

If it is not using it in that way, then the tone and context in which you use it would make that clear most of the time because again, usage dictates meaning.

Nothing on you personally, just a mini rant. Done!

I wasn't aware that idiots could change the meaning of could to couldn't by simply using it wrong repeatedly.

Anyway uh...game looks nice.

Halo CEA is two engines but when you switch the game has to load assets. With H2A, since the two engines are running in sync, the switch is instantaneous.
I'm pretty sure the remastered version of Halo CEA has instant switching now...correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

I wasn't aware that idiots could change the meaning of could to couldn't by simply using it wrong repeatedly.

Apparently it does happen and it hurts me like a knife slowly turning in my side. I will forever disagree with misuse no matter how the dictionaries change.

Reallink

You can find DOZENS of quotes from me, including interviews and posts on this very forum, where I addressed this openly and honestly for months, including at the E3 reveal. There's no reason why you should be aware of every interview I ever do, but let me be clear that we have NEVER deliberately implied anything of the sort.

My exposure and knowledge of the game is limited to the press conferences and the odd official Xbox video, which probably describes most of the consumer base. I don't doubt that you've made it clear in posts, it just hasn't been done in any of the more visible mainstream channels, and said channels have actually suggested just the opposite as I've pointed out. You can't get up on stage talking about 1080p/60* (*Multiplayer) or release a video extolling the virtues of the 1080p/60 Campaign* (*Everything but Halo 2) with these hidden asterisks and not expect people to apply it to the whole package if this is their only exposure to the game (which it is for probably a vast majority of people). I'm not arguing for fun or trolling, this news legitimately blind sided me as I was 100% convinced the game was a lock for 1080p/60 given the way its been presented and unveiled.

Hence why I said implication. It is part of a collection they have chosen to focus on 1080p/60 at every given opportunity. If you want to argue this wasn't their intention and there has always been this secret asterisk hidden beside Halo 2, that's fine, but I don't agree.

You are trying to make a stink about something that you have been proven incorrect on over and over in this thread with tons of real life quotes including those from a member of 343 in this thread.

Keep fighting the good fight!

iMax

What happened with the hurdle?

Classic
1. All MP will be 1080p, 60fps, including H2 and H2 anniversary.
2. There's a chance that H2 Anniversary campaign could run at a different resolution to accommodate the second frame buffer. But the intent is to overcome that hurdle.
3. The H2 Anniversary graphics are from relatively early WIP.
4. We'll keep showing progress throughout the year using a process we call "game development."
5. This or its opposite will still make certain posters mad, because they're already mad and are looking for things to confirm that rage.

Zen

Banned

Idiots? Really?

There's no changing the meaning of could and couldn't you need to read it again. I couldn't care less is a form of me expression used often to actually mean 'I care very little'. The complete absence of caring would by default almost render the statement unspoken. I could care less means exactly what it reads as, but is informed by context and the way you are using it info the listener to the range of your caring. When people are using 'I could care less' in a situation were people mistakenly saying 'ah you meant to say I couldn't care less' then the speaker is obviously already using it in a context that communicates 'I do not care that much'. The confusion is because people latched onto the phrase 'I couldn't care less' out of laziness, despite it hardly ever being technically accurate and accepted meaning in short hand is different from what the spoken words actually mean.

So how am I the idiot? Do tell.

Can anyone explain why the "instant switch" impacts resolution?

surely the code says:

if (engine == Engine.Old)
{
oldEngine.DrawScene();
}
else
{
newEngine.DrawScene();
}

There's no need to render both in a single frame?!

Well if both engines are running simultaneously wouldn't the doubling of effects etc but more strain on the GPU and fill rate. If you were disabling/enabling the two engine, that would probably cause hitching when you switched between them. Imagine what could start breaking if you started spamming it while online.

I bet it will look amazing (it's certainly possible for a sub-1080p game to look fantastic, with Ryse and Sunset Overdrive as exhibits A and B on this very console), but I'm not happy with their rationale. The switching might be cool the first time I do it, but I doubt I'll play with the feature more than a handful of times.

By comparison, a higher resolution is something that I would appreciate for just about every moment of the entire game.

Nevertheless, this does almost nothing to dull my excitement for what will almost certainly by my GOTY.

Top Bottom