• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Bessy67

I forget how the Hornet works. Can people sit on the landing struts? Will you be able to grab the flag and have someone fly you back on coag?

I have serious doubts Halo 5 will reach 1080. 60 FPS is obviously the priority, and one would imagine the fidelity of that game is going to shit all over a retextured 10 year old game. But I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Well, it'll definitely push things like geometry, texture work, particle effects, etc more than any other Halo game but at the same time, 343 will have had a lot of hands on time with the Xbox One architecture and a better understanding. Methinks 1080p could be possible at 60 frames...

In any case, I'd be fine with a 900p resolution. Halo 4 had a phenomenal IQ on the 360 so regardless, I'm sure they'll have some great AA solutions in there.

Toa TAK

Banned
So glad the kinect function is gone. Don't get me wrong, it was cool and I used it for CE Anniversary, but for this collection it seems unnessesary.

Overall, minus the SUPER minuscule details that the hardcore like us would recognize, it's all music to my ears.

I swear, TMMC coming out feels like I'm in a nerdy dream come true. Please don't pinch me.

RoKKeR

I forget how the Hornet works. Can people sit on the landing struts? Will you be able to grab the flag and have someone fly you back on coag?

If it's the seam as it is in Halo 3 then yes. Can easily be picked off on the way though because of how open and big Coag is.

E92 M3

Eh this doesn't bother me at all, but I have been thinking that they may sell DLC down the line. Hopefully not though. Lately, DLC just ruins Halo matchmaking.

I still don't get it. Why would anyone play with the OG engine? I can understand switching one or two times to see the difference, but that's it. Am I missing something or this is just for the whole idea of that nostalgia feeling? Is the background engine really needed?

Edit: Forgot to say this is day zero for me, I still have to play halo 3 and 4 :)

It's great to be able to instantly switch back and forth, especially when you're at your favorite vista's to see how much it's improved. It's awesome that they have this choice IMO. It really makes the anniversary editions stand apart from your typical remaster, because it's all about the fan service.

Can't wait for this package to drop! The amount of hours I'll burn in multiplayer in this will be insane.

Just curious, but will anyone here have this be their first Halo experience? I wish I could experience that magic.

see5harp

The forest level in Halo 4 only looks good in small screens/youtube. It's fugly (at least in the 360 version) on a TV. I'd to see more of the prometheon stages in 1080p.

Yea, I don't agree with this at all. The graphics were certainly not the issue in Halo 4.

Bsigg12

Eh this doesn't bother me at all, but I have been thinking that they may sell DLC down the line. Hopefully not though. Lately, DLC just ruins Halo matchmaking.

I would be down with 2-3 map packs to get most if not all Halo 2 maps remade with the first releasing once the Halo 5 beta ends.

E92 M3

I would be down with 2-3 map packs to get most if not all Halo 2 maps remade with the first releasing once the Halo 5 beta ends.

Yes in theory, but in actuality they will just segment the population further. The maps should be free and they need to charge us for something that doesn't splinter the matchmaking.

Amneisac

Okay, so here's a question I have about Halo TMCC and I'm curious if anyone has an answer or knows who I could contact (maybe on Twitter?) to get an answer:

Halo: CE Anniversary on 360 had terrible lag in the online co-op. As I understand it, since Halo: CE didn't have online co-op, they basically 'tricked' it into allowing online co-op by having all 'remote' commands send to the 'host' xbox, and basically created kind of a weird online/offline mashup.

If anyone tried to play it online it was basically unplayable because of the excessive input lag.

My question is will Halo 1 and Halo 2 still have the same problem in TMCC since neither had native online co-op, or are they adding actual netcode? This is very important to me, because I'd really like to play through the games online co-op, but I doubt any reviewers would mention this in a review and I haven't been able to get an answer so far.

Any help that anyone could provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes in theory, but in actuality they will just segment the population further. The maps should be free and they need to charge us for something that doesn't splinter the matchmaking.

They could release free map packs and charge for new Forge Worlds and Forge Assets.

Reallink

The statement of 1080p/60 was in reference to the multiplayer

First comment at 56:29, they were talking about multiplayer. (which they are all 1080p/60)
Second comment is about Halo 3 which is also 1080p/60

They have never represented Halo 2A as 1080p/60

Not once. They have said from the start that it isn't at 1080p but they are trying to get there. And this wasn't an off hand remark or a foreign interview. Whenever it was brought up they'd always clarify.

Hence why I said implication. It is part of a collection they have chosen to focus on 1080p/60 at every given opportunity. If you want to argue this wasn't their intention and there has always been this secret asterisk hidden beside Halo 2, that's fine, but I don't agree.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Hence why I said implication. It is part of a collection they have chosen to focus on 1080p/60 at every given opportunity. If you want to argue this wasn't their intention and there has always been this secret asterisk hidden beside Halo 2, that's fine, but I don't agree.

they didn't imply anything.

everything runs at 1080p/60 with the exception of the halo 2 anniversary campaign. (and halo 5 beta)

Trey

No secret asterisk. when talking about the game, 343 has always maintained that H2A was not 1080p but that they were working to get it there.

They've been very transparent.

I still can't get over how much value this collection has. I am absolutely getting an Xbone just to play this.

I saw that this said no banshees on Halo: CE Blood Gulch by default. Does that mean there is an option to turn them on, or no?

Reallink

they didn't imply anything.

everything runs at 1080p/60 with the exception of the halo 2 anniversary campaign. (and halo 5 beta)

They didn't imply anything by specifically focusing on a variety multiplayer and campaigns IN THE SAME COLLECTION running at 1080p/60? You being serious?

Oemenia

Banned
To those complaining about the switching taking up resources, you need to realise that it's essential. The new graphics are just a skin on the top of the base game, without it they'd have to do a remake from scratch.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They didn't imply anything by specifically focusing on a variety multiplayer and campaigns IN THE SAME COLLECTION running at 1080p/60? You being serious?

even though the campaign side they've focused ENTIRELY ON HALO 2 ANNIVERSARY?

2/3 weeks ago was when we had our first glimpse of ANY campaign not named Halo 2 Anniversary.

Trey

To those complaining about the switching taking up resources, you need to realise that it's essential. The new graphics are just a skin on the top of the base game, without it they'd have to do a remake from scratch.

Halo 2 Anniversary is running on the Halo 4 engine.

.la1n

Games are looking great, looking forward to getting into some classic multiplayer. Nothing really satisfies the competitive shooter itch like Halo. Wish more work was being put into the Halo 3 campaign but still can't beat the overall package.

_woLf

I don't get how it's running at this resolution without making everything looked all stretched. Could someone explain that to me?

iMax

Here's what H2A is running simultaneously: Two game (graphics) engines - the OG H2 and H2A, and the original audio (music and FX) and completely new music and FX. And the switch is instantaneous. If it weren't running the OG engine it could in theory run at a higher resolution but that's not the intended nature of the project. It's designed to be a remake that lets you switch between the two instantaneously. Now you can feel one way or another about that, but that is indeed the intent.

Since this thread is about the resolution, these are all fine conversations to have, but iI hope the community thread is talking about the content, not the pixels.

Which is damn impressive, by the way.

HTupolev

I don't get how it's running at this resolution without making everything looked all stretched. Could someone explain that to me?
Anamorphic widescreen. The 1328x1080 buffer is "horizontally squished" so that it looks correct after being upscaled to 1920x1080.

Why not 1343x1080?
Because 1343 is a weird-ass resolution. GPUs like to operate in groups of 4's and 16's and that sort of reasonable stuff.

see5harp

I think in all presentations they've specifically stated that MULTIPLAYER would run at 1080p and 60 FPS. I sorta assumed everything would be at 1080p, but this miniscule part of the collection running at a lower resolution, with good reason, is fine.

James1o1o

Banned
So...they can have every single game running, from the first to the newest at 1080p/60fps...but not Halo 2?

How does that even make sense?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Can anyone explain why the "instant switch" impacts resolution?

surely the code says:

if (engine == Engine.Old)
{
oldEngine.DrawScene();
}
else
{
newEngine.DrawScene();
}

There's no need to render both in a single frame?!
You work for MS. You tell me!

_woLf

Anamorphic widescreen. The 1328x1080 buffer is "horizontally squished" so that it looks correct after being upscaled to 1920x1080.

Ohh, so it's effectively rendering it squished, and then the upscaler stretches it out and makes it look normal? That makes more sense.

Top Bottom