• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Vire

Just watched the IGN video preview and this looks like a truly spectacular package.

Incredibly impressed with the amount of love that went into this thing.

Duxxy3

Good news, bad news, meh news.

Halo 4 looks amazing
Halo 2 has a weird resolution
Halo 3 not heavily improved (we all know they're waiting til the 10 year anniversary)

RowdyReverb

It's not a flaw in grammar. 'I could care less' = 'I have already outlined how very little I care, either through tone, prior context, or the usage of the statement itself often times in full awareness of those who jump on the could/couldn't debate'. Few people who say 'I could care less' actually mean 'I couldn't care less' in this day and age.

And the natural cycle of internet mistakes and corrections continues.

wow what a joke.

Is the joke that H2A campaign is running two graphics engines at the same time so that you can swap back and forth on the fly while also running two sets of audio and running at 60fps while everything else in the package is 1080p60fps. If so, I'm not sure what's funny.

Zen

Banned
And the natural cycle of internet mistakes and corrections continues.

And even taking both comment literally, I could care less is more honest and accurate in most cases. If you care literally had no cares to give why would you even comment in a lot of cases. if you care, even a little, it stands to reason that you would be commenting no?

Like sorry dawgs, but usage dictates meaning, 'I could care less' is mostly used in today's day and age in the context of outlining that you don't care all that much about the subject.

And that's ok!

If it is not using it in that way, then the tone and context in which you use it would make that clear most of the time because again, usage dictates meaning.

Nothing on you personally, just a mini rant. Done!

TheXbox

something something your mind can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 unless the TV is 50 inches or more

I have serious doubts Halo 5 will reach 1080. 60 FPS is obviously the priority, and one would imagine the fidelity of that game is going to shit all over a retextured 10 year old game. But I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Izayoi

Banned
Why is IGN so anti-screenshot?

Shitty work computers have no flash, and I can't even look at screenshots because there aren't any.

WTF???

I just want to see HCE, H3, and H4......

Reallink

Multiplayer is. They said from the outset that H2A campaign might not make it.

I love how people can call someone a liar who never lied.

Sorry, but when you get up on stage at international press conferences trumpeting 1080p/60 (56:29) and put out official Campaign marketing materials focusing almost exclusively on the 1080p/60 advantages (1:00), the obvious implication is it's going to apply to the whole package/collection. You can't fairly or sensibly point to some community manager's potential caveat buried in a gaming forum or an off hand remark from some obscure foreign interview and exclaim see, they said all along! No, they were lying by omission and intentionally misleading people because they wanted that 1080p/60 marketing bullet point.

HaloCE campaign: 1080p/60
HaloCEA campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 3 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 4 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo CE Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 3 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 4 Multi: 1080p/60

Halo 2 is the clear stand out star of the collection (being the only new completely overhauled/anniversary edition), so it's incredibly disingenuous to put it in the middle of a long list as though it's an insignificant outlier.

It's Halo 2 Anniversary MP. Original Halo 2 didn't have Hornets, since they were introduced in Halo 3.

All the Blood Gulch's have melded together for me, I have trouble remembering what was introduced when. I miss Brutes, Halo 2 will be awesome to fight them again.

This is such an awesome collection, and really the ultimate fan service, pretty disappointing to see so many posts focusing on one part of the overall package.

Can't wait to play all of these through in one session co-op, then straight to multiplayer.

:)

RoKKeR

Finally got to watch some of that preview, Halo 3 MP in 60fps!!!!! Dream come true, so fuckin pumped. What 343 are doing here is incredible.

JimiNutz

Banned
Some people will complain about anything...
As I see it we're getting four of the greatest console shooters of all time running on dedicated servers for the price of one game, along with a beta and a tv show on disc.

It's an amazing value package and I hope it ushers in a new generation of Halo fans because this is the collection that the series deserves.

Nothing else comes close to how much fun im going to get out of this one release. Amazing value, almost too good to be true.

Caayn

If someone could with something on PC, I'd love to see the visual difference between something at the Halo 2 anniversary resolution stretched to 1080p compared to the same thing at 900p upscaled to 1080p and then the same thing again at native 1080p.
Wouldn't work. The pc game isn't designed to stretch to 1920x1080, so you'll get the obvious stretch artifacts such as circles that become ovals. If the game is designed to be stretched everything can be adjusted to that. So that a circle actually displays as a circle and not as an oval for example.

GT5 and GT6 did a similar thing on the PS3, if you want an example look up those two games running in 1080p mode vs 720p mode.

Hubble

The Halo series did not receive the acclaim they did because 30 fps was a major component of why people like those games. Suggesting that somehow, 30 fps was responsible for the encounter design or the strong AI routines or the multiplayer options is, at the very least, really ridiculous. That's just plain old good game design right there.

Games play better at 60 fps, and for such a gameplay-oriented series like Halo, that's pretty damn important. Unless there's some bad stuff about this collection that 343i isn't being forthcoming about (and it's hard to imagine that with how expansive coverage has been), there are nothing but gains by going with that route.

Obviously, that was not what I was saying. I said 30 FPS is completely acceptable in a remake especially if previous titles were at that and a higher resolution with said FPS would be the better route. Not 30 FPS was responsible for its success.....

I guess I am wrong though. Previous Halo's were 60 FPS, so I understand 343's choice.

Dlacy13g

This is such a non-issue. ONE element out of the entire package is sub 1080p 60fps. Considering its running two engines at the same time I am not at all upset over the "revelation" of H2A running sub 1080p.

something something your mind can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 unless the TV is 50 inches or more

I have serious doubts Halo 5 will reach 1080. 60 FPS is obviously the priority, and one would imagine the fidelity of that game is going to shit all over a retextured 10 year old game. But I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

If this faux 1080p looks good then I wouldn't mind Halo 5 running at the same resolution so they can juice the hardware.

Doffen

Sorry, but when you get up on stage at international press conferences trumpeting 1080p/60 (56:29) and put out official Campaign marketing materials focusing almost exclusively on the 1080p/60 advantages (1:00), the obvious implication is it's going to apply to the whole package/collection. You can't fairly or sensibly point to some community manager comment buried in a gaming forum or an off hand remark from some obscure foreign interview and exclaim see, they said all along! No, they were lying by omission and intentionally misleading people because they wanted that 1080p/60 marketing bullet point.

Time to sue!

Wizman23

Banned
As a Halo fan I still am blown away by the amount of content this game offers. I wonder if MS is going to market the hell out of this game. I cannot fathom anyone owning an XB1 and NOT buying this.

Hey Frankie any word if us East Coast Digital Downloaders are going to get screwed with the not being able play until 3:00 AM on launch day? I've been a Halo midnight launch attendee for every Halo game since Halo 2 but I'm 100% digital guy now.

Raide

If I was not getting this as part of my Destiny Xbox One bundle, this would be a Day 1 purchase. All the games get a much needed boost in fidelity but the MP is the only mode people give a damn about and will be playing for months to come, and that is the one at 1080p/60fps.

It's probably been stated in here many times already but then why not give the option of only running the new engine at 1080p and not have the ability to switch. Seems like a good idea.

Basically where is a good reason for it to not to have implemented that way?

Anion

Haha, this going to be good. My biggest issue with halo 4 was that it felt a bit weird. Im going to assume that was because it was 30 fps.

Caayn

It's probably been stated in here many times already but then why not give the option of only running the new engine at 1080p and not have the ability to switch. Seems like a good idea.

It costs extra dev time. Which I believe was one of the reason why we won't see a 3D mode for H2A.

xbox one and its weird resolutions.

This!
But come on guys.
As long as it isn't 720p...

Nah, I think it will.
It's their biggest IP.
It has to be 1080p for them.

Wouldn't work. The pc game isn't designed to stretch to 1920x1080, so you'll get the obvious stretch artifacts such as circles that become ovals. If the game is designed to be stretched everything can be adjusted to that. So that a circle actually displays as a circle and not as an oval for example.

GT5 and GT6 did a similar thing on the PS3, if you want an example look up those two games running in 1080p mode vs 720p mode.

Which is why someone would have to do it custom. It can be done, but I don't know if anyone is willing to do the work to satisfy some people's curiosity.

It costs extra dev time. Which I believe was one of the reason why we won't see a 3D mode for H2A.

I guess they opted for boost the engines side by side rather than one on one off at 1080p. I think the latter would have been the better choice however and they made a poor decision.

see5harp

They had already set the precedent for the feature with their last Anniversary release. I personally don't care about the feature but I understand how it's sorta novel to switch sound/music/graphics on the fly.

Syncytia

First let me say that I pretty much bought an Xbox One just for this, and I can't wait for it. Maybe I'm a minority here, I don't know and I don't want to read the whole thread to maybe find out, but I don't care about switching old and new graphics. Have it selectable at the start which engine you want and make them both 60fps at 1080p. Switching between the engines is an overblown gimmick IMO. I did it a couple times in CE:A and then each time I played after I never switched and always used the old engine.

Lone Wolf

Sorry, but when you get up on stage at international press conferences trumpeting 1080p/60 (56:29) and put out official Campaign marketing materials focusing almost exclusively on the 1080p/60 advantages (1:00), the obvious implication is it's going to apply to the whole package/collection. You can't fairly or sensibly point to some community manager's potential caveat buried in a gaming forum or an off hand remark from some obscure foreign interview and exclaim see, they said all along! No, they were lying by omission and intentionally misleading people because they wanted that 1080p/60 marketing bullet point. Halo 2 by the way is the clear stand out star of the collection (being the only new completely overhauled/anniversary edition), so it's incredibly disingenuous to put it in the middle of a long list as though it's an insignificant stand out.
The statement of 1080p/60 was in reference to the multiplayer

Raide

I guess they opted for boost the engines side by side rather than one on one off at 1080p. I think the latter would have been the better choice however and they made a poor decision.

It would be weird to see the game swap between old assets and resolution and then a 1080p version.

Personally I am waiting for Halo 5 to show off what a Halo game can do. MCC is just a taster before the main course.

gaming_noob

The forest level in Halo 4 only looks good in small screens/youtube. It's fugly (at least in the 360 version) on a TV. I'd to see more of the prometheon stages in 1080p.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sorry, but when you get up on stage at international press conferences trumpeting 1080p/60 (56:29) and put out official Campaign marketing materials focusing almost exclusively on the 1080p/60 advantages (1:00), the obvious implication is it's going to apply to the whole package/collection. You can't fairly or sensibly point to some community manager's potential caveat buried in a gaming forum or an off hand remark from some obscure foreign interview and exclaim see, they said all along! No, they were lying by omission and intentionally misleading people because they wanted that 1080p/60 marketing bullet point.

First comment at 56:29, they were talking about multiplayer. (which they are all 1080p/60)
Second comment is about Halo 3 which is also 1080p/60

They have never represented Halo 2A as 1080p/60

Not once. They have said from the start that it isn't at 1080p but they are trying to get there. And this wasn't an off hand remark or a foreign interview. Whenever it was brought up they'd always clarify.

I still don't get it. Why would anyone play with the OG engine? I can understand switching one or two times to see the difference, but that's it. Am I missing something or this is just for the whole idea of that nostalgia feeling? Is the background engine really needed?

Edit: Forgot to say this is day zero for me, I still have to play halo 3 and 4 :)

It would be weird to see the game swap between old assets and resolution and then a 1080p version.

Personally I am waiting for Halo 5 to show off what a Halo game can do. MCC is just a taster before the main course.

It's a good thing we won't have to wait long to find out :). Even then, there is about 10 months of extra optimization after the Beta is over.

Bsigg12

stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

Top Bottom