• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

I was responding to another user talking about The Order, I didn't bring it up myself. I was genuinely asking whether that was the resolution or not since they were already discussing the resultion of The Order vs H2A campaign.

You're right, sorry, you were just asking a question.

] Keep trying to make something out of nothing though to suit your agenda. Its pretty telling when you come into a thread of a game you're not buying just to post that.

Nice try on twisting the situation with those quotes though :)

I don't have an agenda, I just think we should talk about Halo in Halo threads, and I don't think it's necessary to have to buy a game to discuss it. But moving on....

OMG that Hornet :O

XEDH4OX.gif

if this is Halo 2, there is nothing to complain about

LAA

You guys had to know this is a trivial feature at best. I mean that's great and all, but how about an "option" on if I want to run the game that way or not? I'm sure the majority would have preferred to have an option to run the game with instant switch mode disabled if it gave us a true HD gaming experience. Either way your collection is an amazing value and will be of course a day 1 purchase for me, but this really kinda stinks for those of us (Which I think is the majority) who don't care about this instant switch feature.

Hmm good point. Not sure how technicually possible it is to provide an option to simply turn the "Original game" running in the background off however. I'd be for that, I'd probably switch between the two options quite a lot.

Sordid

Has there been any mention of AA yet? If not H2A I'm hoping at least CE, 2 classic, 3 and 4 have few jaggies.

1080p for the classic games is great, can't wait for CE, 2 and 3 multiplayer in November!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That's disappointing. The fidelity of the game shouldn't suffer because of a feature. A fade in would be more than enough. Most players won't even use the switch anyway.

A fade in wouldn't work. The engine is either running in sync or it isn't. The fidelity of the game is not suffering, it's balanced to achieve a set goal. We've been very open about this throughout, as you know.

RowdyReverb

Also,

c. the 1080 pixels in height prevent people from realizing right away it's actually slightly below 900p

What people would be savvy enough to bother to look up the resolution, but dumb enough to be confused by a smaller horizontal resolution?

So it's 900p except they took the pixels from the other side so they can say it's 1080p?

That's clever as fuck.

I don't think that's why they did that. Seems more likely they chose the resolution based on the switch between engines. Also, Stinkles seems to think it looks better than 900p and even Durante thinks it's likely a better choice too.

I wonder if getting rid of the resolution in the title and having a seperate thread all together would improve discussion in this thread. There are so many other things to discuss, but those are brought down by people caring more about one portion of the game not being 1080p.

Yeah, it is partially my fault for including the resolution in the OP and Title. I honestly should have known better, but included it because it was point of contention previously. I apologized to Frankie in a previous post, I never intended this to become a "resolution wars" thread.

EBreda

Insignificant. Master Chief Collection is a hell of a deal and I can't bring myself to believe some people do go crazy about the most insignificant of the features announced so far.. The damn resolution of 1/8th of the package.

Shame on you.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah, it is partially my fault for including the resolution in the OP and Title. I honestly should have known better, but included it because it was point of contention previously. I apologized to Frankie in a previous post, I never intended this to become a "resolution wars" thread.

There is no need to apologize. It's interesting game tech. If you tune out concern trolls and console warriors, there's a tech conversation going on in the thread that's totally appropriate.

Halo CEA and Halo 4 look pretty damn awesome in that video.

Can November 14th (because I'm in UK and we're being made to wait 3 days >.<) please hurry up

Bgamer90

Banned
Blame Microsoft, not gamers. They're the ones who valued a $100 webcam over 1080p.

The console being weaker and (at a time) more expensive definitely plays a role in it but console wars have increased the topic significantly IMO.

The majority of games on the system are still 1080p anyway. Overall, I'm ready to move on as more games are being released for the consoles.

GreenFear

Banned
Besides the resolution and AA I expect halo 2 to still look better than any of the other halo games in the collection since it is the only one that was specifically remade for xbone.

1328x1080= 1,434,240 pixels

1920x1080= 2,073,600 pixels

1920x900= 1,728,000 pixels

So this "1080p" resolution is actually scaled more than 900p but sounds better in marketing copy. So clever.

I can't wait to see how Halo 4 looks on my TV. Preview's making it out to look almost like a game made straight for Xbox One. Hnng.

RowdyReverb

I wonder if getting rid of the resolution in the title and having a seperate thread all together would improve discussion in this thread. There are so many other things to discuss, but those are brought down by people caring more about one portion of the game not being 1080p.

The H2A campaign is only a fraction of the overall package and the fact that it isn't 1080p isn't even new news. The new news is the glimpses of Halo: CE Anniversary and Halo 4 at 1080p60 and the Hornet on Bloodline.

There is no need to apologize. It's interesting game tech. If you tune out concern trolls and console warriors, there's a tech conversation going on in the thread that's totally appropriate.

:) Man, November through December (friggen Halo 5, never thought I'd be playing it this year) is going be an end of year Halo-a-thon.

What's the idea behind switching between engines on the fly? I'm not sure I get it. Won't people want to just play the remasterd one? Or am I very confused.

jem0208

The console being weaker and (at a time) more expensive definitely plays a role in it but console wars have increased the topic significantly IMO.

The majority of games on the system are still 1080p anyway. Overall, I'm ready to move on as more games are being released for the consoles.

Oh god, don't say that. They love it when you say that. Just starts the list wars all over again...

As for this thread, I think it was a bit of a mistake putting the res in the title. It'd be nice to talk about the other things that were revealed.

Just to be clear I bought an Xbox one for this game and its my most hyped game. I just think this is on the same level as the ubisoft shitstorm from yesterday.

stoneule

Neo Member
Stinkles, this is admittedly way overblown.. besides i'm sure you guys will have it fixed for the PC version. ;) (Sorry I couldn't resist)

REV 09

This seems acceptable due to their reasoning and all the other versions run at the native 1080p. I'm glad that they've been upfront about it all along. I missed Frankie's post from June at the time, but props to him being honest way back then.

This collection is redefining what it means to "re-release" games. I hope we get a Gears collection as well.

Zen

Banned
Pretty sure 343 always said Halo 2 A campaign was the one spot that might not hit 1080p.

Solid video today, aside from IGN's player.

Obligatory:
carelessp8dqn.gif

Which then only serves to make fun of people who point this out, because the they are assuming that the person who made the statement make it in error, because implication is that you have already shown to care absurdly little, to the point where I couldn't care less' was the assumed position, yet it is in fact saying that as little as you care, you can exceed even than by caring even less than you already do.

No offense, but people who point out this non issue should really understand that they are kind of getting laughed at by people who understand the phraseology of it all more completely. Saying I could care less takes the assumption of usage of "i couldn't care less' and basically makes fun of it and those who take issue with using could instead of couldn't. Obviously someone cares, even a little, to comment in the first place.

That aside, I will probably pick this up when circumstances permit.

Ridley327

After Halo 4's terrible online, which entirely ruined Halo multiplayer I'm not sure if I am happy about 343 being in charge. They seem to make a lot of awkward decisions. Halo 4 online not about Halo's map control and power weapons, Halo 4 lobby system, adding ridiculous abilities, poor maps, very few at Halo 4 retail, little online gameplay types, no mlg playlist, etc., etc.

Going for 60 FPS is ignoring Halo precedence and canon. If I'm not mistaken, all the previous Halo's were 30FPS. With 30 FPS, they achieved critical acclaim. In terms of publicity, the game will receive much more negativity not being at a standard high resolution of 1080p found in every tv and monitor rather than a 30 FPS and 1080 especially for a remake. It's not a new game, so people will be more willingly to accept 30 FPS. That trade off is a lot better. Halo at a locked 30FPS or even 40FPS is perfectly playable online and is what previous Halo gamers played, and I played a ton of it as a Halo 3 MLG gamer. And we would get better IQ.

edit: If I'm wrong about previous Halo's being at 30FPS I apologize.

The Halo series did not receive the acclaim they did because 30 fps was a major component of why people like those games. Suggesting that somehow, 30 fps was responsible for the encounter design or the strong AI routines or the multiplayer options is, at the very least, really ridiculous. That's just plain old good game design right there.

Games play better at 60 fps, and for such a gameplay-oriented series like Halo, that's pretty damn important. Unless there's some bad stuff about this collection that 343i isn't being forthcoming about (and it's hard to imagine that with how expansive coverage has been), there are nothing but gains by going with that route.

I am super excited to play with the Hornets. One of my biggest wishes was to use the Hornets alot more in multiplayer and that wish is coming true. And in one of the funnest multiplayer games I have ever played in my life(if not THE funnest). Also, I can't remember if this was answered but is the clan system back from Halo 2???

My clan used to be one of the best. And a revival of it would be AMAZE BALLS.

Game looks amazing. People just piling on about some number. The game looks beautiful and I love the insta switch graphics feature. Look at the footage. Understand the amount of value that is being offered. Consider the content and you will see that this was a labor of love for the millions of fans out there. These devs are busting their ass to make a Halo fans dream game and people are just shit talkin for whatever reason. What happened to gamers? When did this petty obnoxious talk become so prevalent when discussing our favorite hobby?

RowdyReverb

No offense, but people who point out this non issue should really understand that they are kind of getting laughed at by people who understand the phraseology of it all more completely.

I'm not laughing at either of them. It's the natural course of internet discussion to see both flaws in grammar and people who care enough to correct them.

Maybe it's because I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention, but is the FOV widened and standardized across, at least, single-player and co-op split screen views now? For competitive modes, too? Come on, answer this, Frank O'Connor.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Compromising the resolution for the novelty of being able to switch whenever you want seems like such a poor decision. It is a cool gimmick, but being able to play the game at a higher resolution for the other 99% of the time that you're playing seems much better.

So this "1080p" resolution is actually scaled more than 900p but sounds better in marketing copy. So clever.

It's 1600x900, not 1920x900 that people typically refer to when saying "900p"

It's more than a 4:3 anamorphic stretch.

15467474341_d98252ac1c_o.png

If someone could with something on PC, I'd love to see the visual difference between something at the Halo 2 anniversary resolution stretched to 1080p compared to the same thing at 900p upscaled to 1080p and then the same thing again at native 1080p.

Zen

Banned
I'm not laughing at either of them. It's the natural course of internet discussion to see both flaws in grammar and people who care enough to correct them.

It's not a flaw in grammar. 'I could care less' = 'I have already outlined how very little I care, either through tone, prior context, or the usage of the statement itself often times in full awareness of those who jump on the could/couldn't debate'. Few people who say 'I could care less' actually mean 'I couldn't care less' in this day and age.

REV 09

If i'm not mistaken, i think 900p is actually 1600 x 900 = 1,440,000 which is basically what they've gone with.

jem0208

Which then only serves to make fun of people who point this out, because the implication is that you have already shown to care absurdly little, to the point where I couldn't care less' was the assumed position, yet it is in fact saying that as little as you care, you can exceed even than by caring even less than you already do.

No offense, but people who point out this non issue should really understand that they are kind of getting laughed at by people who understand the phraseology of it all more completely.

That... makes very little sense.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Halo 3 looks great.

Halo 4 looks really great.

Yeah, Halo 4 is really impressive looking, especially for 1080p and 60fps. Halo 3 I could take or leave visually, I was never very impressed with it. In fact I think an Anniversay Edition makeover would do wonders for it.

RowdyReverb

So it's 900p except they took the pixels from the other side so they can say it's 1080p?

That's clever as fuck.

If you couldn't quite reach a stable framerate at native 1080p, would it be better to stringently adhere to a 16:9 ratio at odd resolutions, or try to get at least one of the dimensions native to 1080p displays? I think the decision has more merit than just looking good at a very quick glance on NeoGAF and Digital Foundry discussions.

Izayoi

Banned
What's the idea behind switching between engines on the fly? I'm not sure I get it. Won't people want to just play the remasterd one? Or am I very confused.
For old-time Halo fans like me, being able to play the original version is a big deal. I play at least half of my time on HCEA on Classic mode.

That's actually quite a big buffer considering they run two of them at the same time. This actually gives me hope of H5 hitting 1080p.

How is this still not reaching 1080p at 60 fps?

Because they keep two 1328x1080 buffers in memory at the same time, so they can switch at will if no delay (like Halo Aniversary had on 360).

TheIdleMiner

Neo Member
HaloCE campaign: 1080p/60
HaloCEA campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 3 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 4 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo CE Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 3 Multi: 1080p/60