• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Ogimachi

Personal opinion?

a. It looks much better than prior showings now for obvious reasons of dev progress.
b. Yeah, I think the scaling of this res looks better. Great in fact. There's a crystal-like sharpness in-game.
Also,

c. the 1080 pixels in height prevent people from realizing right away it's actually slightly below 900p

malfcn

HaloCE campaign: 1080p/60
HaloCEA campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 3 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 4 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo CE Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 3 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 4 Multi: 1080p/60

20070304222625%21Mark_of_Shame.jpg

Halo 2: Arbiter Edition.

For everything that comes in this collection, this is the most trivial piece of information to come out. If anyone cancels over this..

stash-3-506fa2e42eeda.gif

Trey

Also,

c. the 1080 pixels in height prevent people from realizing right away it's actually slightly below 900p

If you think 343 is trying to be disingenuous, why would they speak plainly and clearly about H2A's exact resolution a month out from release?

spannicus

Halo 2 is the only one at that resolution due to engine switching. The rest will run in usual 1080p. Thats great news. Never played Halo 4 and cant wait to play it now, seeing as they spruced it up. Good shit. This resolution non sense needs to stop though, it gets in the way of enjoying the game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This my thought too. Why sacrifice resolution for toggling between the engines.

You're not just switching engines, you're switching basically everything out except for the game code. This means music, sound, textures and models. They are essentially running 2 distinct games at the same time.

I think even 720p60 is better than 1080p30, personally.

Framerate > resolution when it comes to playability (and I would always prefer 1080p30 to 900p30 or lower, even if it means pairing back on visual effects).

agreed-

just an odd reasoning behind the choice (IMO)

I just hope its not noticeable

LAA

It has to be so disheartening as a game developer to have all this information come out about your game and the only thing people are talking about is the resolution.

Yeah same. Is something I'm getting a little concerned about. I imagine later in the gen, it may be more neccessary to lower the res to include more effects/better graphics, which I think devs should aim for if they feel its worth sacrificing 1080p for, without the backlash from people simply because its not 1080p.

In some cases though (More recently the AC:U pairity thing), for me, the problem is more the case they are either gimping the PS4 version or purposely not pushing it as far as it can go. That bothers me when they're wanting top money for their obviously not so top product and its definitely not a trend I want to continue, just so Microsoft/Xbox fans don't get their feelings hurt?

Riiight...

"Halo 2 remaster is 1328 x 1080"

"But what about The Order?"

And I'm the one that has a clear bias?

and no I don't have the money for an X1, so I won't be buying it, but if there was a PC release...

I was responding to another user talking about The Order, I didn't bring it up myself. I was genuinely asking whether that was the resolution or not since they were already discussing the resultion of The Order vs H2A campaign. Keep trying to make something out of nothing though to suit your agenda. Its pretty telling when you come into a thread of a game you're not buying just to post that.

Nice try on twisting the situation with those quotes though :)

jem0208

It has to be so disheartening as a game developer to have all this information come out about your game and the only thing people are talking about is the resolution.

I know right?

Where the hell is the Hornet discussion?!

I've seen like 3 posts other than mine.

Head.spawn

MP is still 1080p60fps, right?

I'm not super broken-up over this. My overall reaction, is a bit like: dang...?

Still day one.

Also, I haven't been paying a lot of attention because somehow I missed that they are redoing the music? Wtf. Steve Vai back in the studio?

jbug617

Banned
MP is still 1080p60fps, right?

I'm not super broken-up over this. My overall reaction, is a bit like: dang...?

Still day one.

Also, I haven't been paying a lot of attention because somehow I missed that they are redoing the music? Wtf. Steve Vai back in the studio?

Yeah only the campaign is at a lower resolution

jem0208

is this screenshot from halo 2 vista? looks like a neat vehicle but i didnt play that version

It's from Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer.

It's the re-imagined version of Halo 2.

That is Bloodlines from H2A MP. I believe the Hornet was originally featured in Halo 3 (someone correct me if I am wrong, haven't played Halo 3 in years).

That is correct, Hornet was originally in Halo 3. Then we had the Falcon in Reach which was similar but the driver couldn't fire any weapons.

Blueblur1

Here's what H2A is running simultaneously: Two game (graphics) engines - the OG H2 and H2A, and the original audio (music and FX) and completely new music and FX. And the switch is instantaneous. If it weren't running the OG engine it could in theory run at a higher resolution but that's not the intended nature of the project. It's designed to be a remake that lets you switch between the two instantaneously. Now you can feel one way or another about that, but that is indeed the intent.

Since this thread is about the resolution, these are all fine conversations to have, but iI hope the community thread is talking about the content, not the pixels.

That's disappointing. The fidelity of the game shouldn't suffer because of a feature. A fade in would be more than enough. Most players won't even use the switch anyway.

RoKKeR

Saw this coming with the instant switching and the two engine setup. Props to them for coming out and saying it, seems like a good solution.

So pumped for this collection.

Bessy67

So what do people think the impulse triggers will do? Vibrate in sync with your shots, vibrate when you're low on ammo, vibrate when an energy weapon is close to overheating, vibrate when shields go down/up?

Sounds fine to me, as long as the 60fps is solid. Still, why not allow players to optionally turn off the OG H2 game and just play H2A at full capability? I think it's a nice feature, but one that gets ignored after some initial use.

That's disappointing. The fidelity of the game shouldn't suffer because of a feature. A fade in would be more than enough. Most players won't even use the switch anyway.

Speak for yourself im gonna be switching all the time. I did it with H1A, its awesome to see the OG graphics and new ones side by side.

So what do people think the impulse triggers will do? Vibrate in sync with your shots, vibrate when you're low on ammo, vibrate when an energy weapon is close to overheating, vibrate when shields go down/up?

I hope it is mult-function. A strong vibration while firing, and a slight tick when out of ammo. A low vibration while charging a plasma shot, etc.

Microsoft has figured out that people only look at the vertical resolution number and not the horizontal one. Great. Lots of 14XXx1080 titles incoming.

Plasma

Banned
Here's what H2A is running simultaneously: Two game (graphics) engines - the OG H2 and H2A, and the original audio (music and FX) and completely new music and FX. And the switch is instantaneous. If it weren't running the OG engine it could in theory run at a higher resolution but that's not the intended nature of the project. It's designed to be a remake that lets you switch between the two instantaneously. Now you can feel one way or another about that, but that is indeed the intent.

Since this thread is about the resolution, these are all fine conversations to have, but iI hope the community thread is talking about the content, not the pixels.

Why not give people the choice though?

Bgamer90

Banned

Hoping they will be in sync with shots.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So it's 900p except they took the pixels from the other side so they can say it's 1080p?

That's clever as fuck.

Paracelsus

Halo 3 always suffered from godawful IQ despite the quality of the engine, I'm curious to check it out now that they took care of that. Also what in the world is a 1328x1080?

x-Lundz-x

You guys had to know this is a trivial feature at best. I mean that's great and all, but how about an "option" on if I want to run the game that way or not? I'm sure the majority would have preferred to have an option to run the game with instant switch mode disabled if it gave us a true HD gaming experience. Either way your collection is an amazing value and will be of course a day 1 purchase for me, but this really kinda stinks for those of us (Which I think is the majority) who don't care about this instant switch feature.

Welfare

I wonder if getting rid of the resolution in the title and having a seperate thread all together would improve discussion in this thread. There are so many other things to discuss, but those are brought down by people caring more about one portion of the game not being 1080p.

Top Bottom