• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix Surveying for New Rock Band Title

Poona

Yeah, in the Rock Band community I played with, it was generally agreed the animations were a downgrade from RB2 to 3.

Yeah, and I loved the female characters I created in Rock Band 2.

Tried to do the same thing to create them in rb3 and they just ended up looking like evil witches.

FyreWulff

yeah. they've been pretty honest about it.

What I liked about RB3:

- It finally acknowledged that libraries were getting huge, and gave us a bunch of tools to sort and filter through our libraries. RB/2 is a pain in the neck when you have tons of DLC. RB1 is even worse for it. I loaded up RB1 once recently and I don't even know how people that stayed on RB1 handled it.

- The overall graphics polish is nice.

- I much preferred RB3's career mode over RB1/2's.

- Keys was a nice addition, I enjoyed it.

- The 'overshell' UI was pretty neat and a lot more fluid than the constant back out / remake band / go back in of RB1/2

What I didn't like:

- They should have found a way to do co-op harmonies online. Even if it was just a mode where only vocalists played.

- For fuck's sake, why does it not hide songs that everyone in the session doesn't own? it's so annoying to scroll through a sea of grey. The weird thing is if someone is on pro guitar, it'll hide any non-pro songs.

- Requiring everyone in the session to buy the pro guitar upgrade made it near impossible to actually play pro guitar online. Try convincing drummers or vocalists to buy an upgrade for an instrument they don't play.. yeah. Should have acted as an unlock key and everyone has the protar data somehow.

- People also tend to quit out on you if you show up in matchmaking with pro keys, because a lot of times you need to drop difficulty, and if they don't know about the Individual Track Speeds modifier, it'll make it harder for them to play if they're on Hard or Expert. They should have made it so online, everyone else's track goes the same speed as yours to you. Currently it acts like you're all on the same box.

(RB1 actually had a weird quirk where if you played online as a vocalist, everyone else's tracks moved at slow speed)

also not something that was harmonix's problem: a couple of people explained to me that they quit because they think keys players will get annoyed if they have to sit out during non-keys tracks. I didn't mind, but it would have been nice if the game had some pre-song lobby emotes like Mariokart 8, one of them with "it's okay to choose no keys songs" :p

As someone that had the Wii version I feel like I'll get screwed if there is a new game but I'll be happy just to have a new rock band. Just all the dlc I got....

ElNino

I'm good with what I have now. Besides, those aren't any more likely to be forward compatible than the ones I'm using, are they?

But let me re-phrase: every one I ever tried was horrible, and I tried a lot. I bought them, played them, sent them back, wore them out, operated on them, Frankensteined my own out of multiple broken-in-different-ways units, with results varying from utter waste to "just good enough to keep playing". But eventually, I gave up and stuck with the excellent World Tour guitar. Other than having no solo buttons, it's perfect. I wasn't aware of the various wood or metal guitars until later, hell, they probably didn't exist at the time. But I was done throwing money at the problem by that point. I have 3 that work great. I'm wasn't going down that road of shit again.

The 360 RROD fiasco has nothing on the mountains of useless plastic guitars clogging up landfills across the country.

Oh, and my original Guitar Hero black guitar and GH 2 red guitar - single purchases - still work after years of heavy use. I went through several USB adapters trying to get them to work with my PS3, too, but that's just an asterisk to this tale (none worked, even though some had specific modes that were supposed to). That's not to say I didn't encounter any non-working GH controllers (GH3 ones were crap IIRC), but Rock Band guitars can go fuck themselves in hell.
I conceed that the GH guitars were, in general, much more durable and withstood the abuse that the games required better than the RB ones. That being said, I preferred the fret button layout on the RB guitar to GH and other than the Logitech, the only GH guitar I owned was the Xplorer.

Also, the Woodstrat and Logitech guitars were very expensive and difficult to find so I probably should not have assumed that anyone would have used them. I was extremely fortunate to find both of them on Amazon for around 1/4 of their retail price.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Hamonix jokingly said they were considering a stretch goal for the Amplitude that would be 1 million dollars and it would fund RB4. So I doubt they could do a kick starter for RB4 unless it's raising money for like only peripherals or something (which I would totally back).

The joke was $20 million dollars. :)

So they're releasing two new tracks this week and continue to hint at something big for this year

From their email

These songs join new DLC releases from Arctic Monkeys, Avenged Sevenfold, and Foo Fighters, all of which were added to the Rock Band library this year. That’s 2 new DLC releases for Rock Band this year… what’s going on, 2015?!

nkarafo

I want more of this in my vains. But i prefer more classic songs and more exclusive band versions. I would kill for a Radiohead or a Megadeth Rockband. I need to listen to many more songs in higher quality and have fun mixing the sound of the multitracks. Listening to classic songs in a way never possible before is what i love in this series.

Because you didn't clear up which ones, the two new tracks are "Rize of the Fenix" by Tenacious D and "Back to the Shack" by Weezer.

oops. I meant to put that in there.

I want more of this in my vains. But i prefer more classic songs and more exclusive band versions. I would kill for a Radiohead or a Megadeth Rockband. I need to listen to many more songs in higher quality and have fun mixing the sound of the multitracks. Listening to classic songs in a way never possible before is what i love in this series.

I think if there is a Rock Band 4 they're saving the songs for that.

D3VI0US

Weezer track should have been "Cleopatra" for that one sick solo, it's like I want to buy it but I don't want to invest in last gen Rock Band without knowing about BC.

Put out more Chicago and Toto (they got started on that JUST as the releases ended, which broke my heart), and I'll buy them regardless of BC. I had a little pro keyboard revival run a few days ago and it's still as fun as ever.

Take RB3, polish the performance a bit.

Multiple instruments playing the same track, IE: Two guitars playing guitar, etc. This would prevent someone doing keyboard, picking a track without key notes, and then having to back out.

Put back 1v1 multiplayer.

Individual track speed modifiers.

Market with the slogan "We're getting the band back together."

Boom. Hire me, Harmonix.

FaintDeftone

I may have to snag that Weezer track. I agree though, Cleopatra or DaVinci would have been better choices.

I kinda hope they change the art style in RB4 to not be so cartoony.

Magnus

I'd love it, but fuck it if I'm expected to buy all those instruments again. If there were some way to use my 360 ones with my ps4, I'd be in. I still have them all, since game stores won't even take them, and haven't for 3 years.

I'd love it, but fuck it if I'm expected to buy all those instruments again. If there were some way to use my 360 ones with my ps4, I'd be in. I still have them all, since game stores won't even take them, and haven't for 3 years.

This is what the difference will be between them doing well and the game bombing.

Everybody has a pile of plastic instruments that still work lying around. Nobody wants to go back and buy them all over again.

This is what the difference will be between them doing well and the game bombing.

Everybody has a pile of plastic instruments that still work lying around. Nobody wants to go back and buy them all over again.

It's a conundrum. Last gen's most popular platform for the game was the 360. Those (wireless) controllers aren't likely to work with anything else, and most certainly won't work with this generation's most popular console, the PS4.

Multiple instruments playing the same track, IE: Two guitars playing guitar, etc. This would prevent someone doing keyboard, picking a track without key notes, and then having to back out.

Put back 1v1 multiplayer.

Absolutely crucial, yes, both of these. I hate having to play the shitty track on some songs. It would be so nice for two people to play the same part if they want to...obviously not in every mode, though.

Individual track speed modifiers.

3 already had that, I think.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
We already have standard Guitar, Keyboard, Drums, Up to 3 Harmony Vocals, Bass... What else could be added?!

Maybe adding an option of separating Guitar into Rhythm Guitar and Solo Guitar in songs that could support it would help those that want more Guitar parts in songs.

Local Song Duels (2 Guitars or 2 Drums for example) would be awesome too.

pacman85

We already have standard Guitar, Keyboard, Drums, Up to 3 Harmony Vocals, Bass... What else could be added?!
I'm curious about this too. I mean is keeping the same instruments that were in Rock Band 3 and just bringing this to next-gen consoles with new in-game features enough to make this version sell a lot of copies?

RB3 is my favorite game of all time and I've put so much time and money into the franchise at this point that I am there day 0 for a current-gen RB. My favorite series ever.

Weezer track should have been "Cleopatra" for that one sick solo, it's like I want to buy it but I don't want to invest in last gen Rock Band without knowing about BC.

Cleopatra or The British are Coming would be fun as hell in RB. (Also, if/when they do RB4 they need to finally do frigging Pinkerton.)

Surprisingly cool to have new songs coming out. My guitar and drumset have been set up for the first time in years.

3 already had that, I think.

Kiiiinda. Basically, the way the game works normally is that if someone is on beginner, and someone on expert, the tracks speeds are in between those speeds for everyone. Turning on individual track speeds lets the beginner have it slow, expert being faster.

I want things like 1.5x speed, etc. Basically being able to turn on Hyperspeed for JUST one person. Right now, it does it for everyone, regardless of who selects it.

Pretty sure our old hardware is useless as far as compatibility with new consoles goes. That whole security thing over usb is the reason we can't use our old steering wheels this gen.

Yessssss. I'd be all over this in a second.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'd really like to see a set campaign like they did in the earlier games. I liked the sense of progression that came with going through a series of specific, progressively more difficult songs while hitting bigger and bigger venues.

That said, there should obviously be a way to incorporate people's DLC into the campaign, and there should be a way to play any of the on disc songs without having to unlock them through the campaign first.

JustinSane

Neo Member
Biggest things for me are a bunch of songs on disc (not a small trickle then relay on DLC type tactics) the songs on disc actually rock songs and not pop crap like with RB3, compatibility with past DLC and peripherals.

Not into the pro bit at all. The rest for me is neither here nor there. (my guitar is actually a guitar hero one, I wouldn't mind so much having to get a new one as the touch bar POS was buggered from the start, but being able to use it would be nice).

It's a conundrum. Last gen's most popular platform for the game was the 360. Those (wireless) controllers aren't likely to work with anything else, and most certainly won't work with this generation's most popular console, the PS4.

Wasnt the Wii version the most popular?

Personally, I have every single PS2 rock band and guitar hero release (yes, including the track packs) because thats where my instruments are. I never "upgraded" to PS3 or X360 because there was no way in hell I was rebuying everything.

They need to think long and hard about created an adapter. I WILL pay $20 for an adapter. I WONT pay $100+ and deal with storage issues to rebuy everything.

Wasnt the Wii version the most popular?

Personally, I have every single PS2 rock band and guitar hero release (yes, including the track packs) because thats where my instruments are. I never "upgraded" to PS3 or X360 because there was no way in hell I was rebuying everything.

They need to think long and hard about created an adapter. I WILL pay $20 for an adapter. I WONT pay $100+ and deal with storage issues to rebuy everything.
I'm pretty sure that Wii was the least popular system for Rock Band but the most for Guitar Hero since Rock Band was delayed so damn long.

On your point of instruments, some PS2 guitars work on PS3 via wireless, right? Though expecting PS2 compatibility may be too much.

I'm pretty sure that Wii was the least popular system for Rock Band but the most for Guitar Hero since Rock Band was delayed so damn long.

On your point of instruments, some PS2 guitars work on PS3 via wireless, right? Though expecting PS2 compatibility may be too much.

Yes youre right about me mixing up GH and RB, but since the instruments are the same I would guess the most popular instrument out there is the one that works with the Wii.

Some PS2 controllers used the standard controller connection, others used USB (and a USB hub) while others used a wireless dongle.

They should be able to support anything with USB. For the wireless ones, they might need to create a new wireless dongle that connects to USB rather than the PS2 controller port.

Yes, the ones that connect directly to the controller port would be the hardest to do, although theoretically they could do this but with USB plug
MultiTapforPS2VideoGameAccessoryKT03008_1368095493.jpg

Obviously thats unlikely.

But they should try and create support for as many controllers as possible, including the singstar mics.

FyreWulff

RB1 sold the most on Wii.

Which was a huge missed opportunity to get DLC sales going on that platform, GH pretty much stepped in and beat them to it, since Wii had to wait until RB2.

AlStrong

Would be nice if they had an in-game photo studio for setting up the rock band characters to do poses (like the RB2 web browser tool they had going for a while).

Which was a huge missed opportunity to get DLC sales going on that platform, GH pretty much stepped in and beat them to it, since Wii had to wait until RB2.

It was a sloppy port of the PS2 version, 7 months later.

Harmonix really fucked that one up and pretty much tanked their entire reputation with that move.

Ridley327

Wasn't RB1 for Wii the best-selling RB title the year it came out, which would've included RB2 on all the platforms it released on ever so scattershot? Definitely one of the biggest blunders they made, on top of the European clusterfuck.

Source?

The most I can find about Wii Rock Band sales is an article citing NPD saying it sold "over a million" in 2008.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/01/16/consumers-prefer-gimped-rock-band

It also says the 360 version sold 800K in 2008.

If you add the 775K from 2007 to the 360 numbers, that brings the 360 total to 1575K. Up through the end of 2008 at least, I find it hard to believe the Wii version had higher sales. (I assume they'd have said 1.5 million had they reached that milestone.) And I have to imagine all RB1 sales fell off a cliff after RB2 came out in late 2008, so I doubt the Wii version would have caught up.

Top Bottom