• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix Surveying for New Rock Band Title

someday

Banned
Rockband and all the DLC I bought for it is the only reason I still own a 360. I'm more of a PS4 girl this gen but I recently bought an Xbone since it was so damned cheap ($250 with AC:Unity and GTAV). The timing for this survey couldn't be better.

I admit I would have bought an Xbox One just for this though (assuming my 360 DLC was compatible).

I also really, really hope my Ion drums will be compatible. It would break my heart if I had to start over on plastic drums again.

AgeEighty

If the public cared for DLC, why did GH, with bare bones DLC, massively outsell RB?

Because it was a hell of a lot cheaper, and cheaper things sell better during a fad.

The fad has died off, and all that's left are the real fans of the genre. Most of those seem to prefer RB by a pretty wide margin, for its more accurate charting and far better catalog.

I mean, GH sucks. The only good ones were 1 and 2, which, surprise surprise, Harmonix helped to make.

Noice.

This was my collection at an old apartment

rkPLZl.jpg

awwyeah

Let's just put my drum set in your picture and jam. Sadly I'm not even an OK drummer, but I do love banging on them. :)

besada

Banned
If they did compatibility with instruments and DLC transfer, I would definitely buy it. Local MP is important, but I could care less about online/leaderboards/challenges. Give me my already bought DLC from all previous Rock Bands, let me use my existing kit, and have a decent song list. Keep it simple and do it right.

If the public cared for DLC, why did GH, with bare bones DLC, massively outsell RB?

How the hell is DLC, at $2.99 a song, more consumer friendly than 90 songs for $49.99?

Plenty of reasons. Among them: GH was a bigger name and had the cultural cache (it was on it's 3rd release when Rock Band debuted) and DLC was also a new thing during GH's main reign.

Also the songs were (and are) $2, not $3. It's more consumer friendly because you can pick and choose what songs you want instead of being forced to buy a bundle of them in bulk. If say a group of 20 songs came out and you really wanted 3 of them, but fucking hate the other 17, you're not forced to pay for all of them to access those 3. Considering the WIDE array of genres that Rock Band included, that would have been a very possible scenario.

I would assume it requires extra work to implement and test the Pro charts. Meaning that they would need to sell more DLC to be profitable. That could affect everyone in the long run.

Sure, I could see that from a buisness perspective. On the other hand, I would like to see them copy the rocksmith implementation. I couldn't see them just going back to the old style now that Rocksmith has come and moved the genre forward.

Pro guitar was just shit, easily the worst money I've spent.

And as it is, Rocksmith has pretty much perfected it.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from there, but I would love to see them fix that instead of just tossing it. As you said, Rocksmith is awesome, they should emulate the Rocksmith implementation, but find a way to also have simultaneous drum and vocal charts for band co-op.

impirius

I'll insta-buy this on PS4 if it happens, but I'll be a little bit sad to lose the analog audio out option of the PS3. That was awesome for hooking up directly to an audio system and bypassing the delay introduced by the television.

UraMallas

OMG OMG OMG OMG. Is it really happening?

If they did compatibility with instruments and DLC transfer, I would definitely buy it. Local MP is important, but I could care less about online/leaderboards/challenges. Give me my already bought DLC from all previous Rock Bands, let me use my existing kit, and have a decent song list. Keep it simple and do it right.

This is exactly what I want.

Ridley327

Plenty of reasons. Among them: GH was a bigger name and had the cultural cache (it was on it's 3rd release when Rock Band debuted) and DLC was also a new thing during GH's main reign.

Also the songs were (and are) $2, not $3. It's more consumer friendly because you can pick and choose what songs you want instead of being forced to buy a bundle of them in bulk. If say a group of 20 songs came out and you really wanted 3 of them, but fucking hate the other 17, you're not forced to pay for all of them to access those 3. Considering the WIDE array of genres that Rock Band included, that would have been a very possible scenario.

Not only was GH a bigger name, but MTV Games and Harmonix completely bungled any chance of the game taking off in Europe (where GH was just as popular as it was in the US) with the horrendous release strategy they adopted, on top of straight-up ignoring the Wii from the start, which was GH's biggest platform. They eventually figured those out, but the damage was already done and they were too far behind to make it up at retail. The strategy they went with for DLC support was the best thing they could have done, since it helped keep the games relevant beyond the disc releases (particularly during the downturn), and Activision never cared as much about maintaining their DLC pipeline as Harmonix did.

It's also easy to forget that not only did Activision stop making DLC for the games before Harmonix did theirs (nearly an entire year before, at that), they also took everything down, so it's impossible to buy new tracks for those games.

Struct09

Took the survey, hoping for an Xbone version that lets me re-download all my old Xbox 360 DLC. It's been kind of janky with Dance Central Spotlight, but it's been nice being able to download previously purchased songs.

Raide

Rock Band Central.

Combined game for Rock Band and Dance Central. Just make it a Free Download, let it use the old Rock Band and Dance Central tracks and DLC if possible. Have an amazing marketplace of fresh tracks every week and mix in both styles for various gamers. Hell, give me rocking out and having backing dancers too.

Make new instruments but make the old ones compatible as well.

Accoun

Not only was GH a bigger name, but MTV Games and Harmonix completely bungled any chance of the game taking off in Europe (where GH was just as popular as it was in the US) with the horrendous release strategy they adopted, on top of straight-up ignoring the Wii from the start, which was GH's biggest platform. They eventually figured those out, but the damage was already done and they were too far behind to make it up at retail.

Yeah, it was unavailable at launch in many European countries. Hell, IIRC the only game released in Poland was The Beatles: Rock Band. Everything else if you were lucky was imported by stores, but if you weren't, you had to import yourself. I did.

Alchemy

I will buy PS4/XBO Rock Band and instruments. I skipped out on the PS3/360 version because of life stuff and would love to pick it up.

make existing content forward compatible and I will buy new hardware (guitar mainly).

Oh and universal USB microphone support, That would be nice.

FyreWulff

I don't think it supported the singstar ones.

The special first party mics weren't standard, Singstar and Lips. I believe later Rock Bands supported both of them. I know RB2 supported the Lips mic as part of a later TU, and Beatles/RB3/Green Day supported it out of the box.

A quick look around seems to indicate that RB3 supports the Singstar ones.

The special first party mics weren't standard, Singstar and Lips. I believe later Rock Bands supported both of them. I know RB2 supported the Lips mic as part of a later TU, and Beatles/RB3/Green Day supported it out of the box.

A quick look around seems to indicate that RB3 supports the Singstar ones.

RB3 was a niche release

Code:
Which Rock Band titles have you regularly played? Check all that apply.
Rock Band
Rock Band 2
Rock Band 3
The Beatles: Rock Band
Green Day: Rock Band
Lego Rock Band
Rock Band Blitz
I did not regularly play any Rock Band titles.

Rock Band : un plugged ? i wanted to check that too ....

Anyway , overall good survey . Here the hope that we can have a good playlist... on the base game i mean

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I think they're worried for PC versions having mods.

Guitar Hero 3 on PC was awesome with modding in your own custom soundtrack but I can see where they'd want to avoid that.

There was Rock Band DLC piracy and modding last gen without PC ports.

Admit it. The very large DLC catalog would be reason enough to buy an Xbox One.

I'm in the same situation and fuck no. I'm done with MS consoles.

Filled it out. I'd love to play it on my PS4. My number 1 was compatibility with previous instruments, second was previous dlcs. If they approached this like SingStar on PS4 being F2P with DLC being their money maker I wouldn't mind that at all. I also wouldn't mind a lot of songs with the game, so I just want new Rock Band :/.

LOL?

Genre was a cultural phenomenon when they had a disk based model.

Moved to DLC and it died.

Remember SIngstar? It was huge.

Moved to DLC and it died.

Remember DDR?

Well I have no idea what happened there, but I assume DLC was involved.

None of those were rockband which was built on a platform/dlc model.

But my lol was that you wanted everything for a next to nothing price and PS2 compatability? lol

SHEF

I have over 1000+ songs on the 360 version and only own a PS4 this gen and the only reason I keep my 360 plugged in is for Rock Band 3.

If I had to purchase an Xbox One to get access to my previous DLC then this is probably the game that will make me buy one; but I do hope they can work out some way of crossing platforms.

Natiko

Banned
My biggest want is hardware compatibility. I love playing pro drums and dumped a lot of money into that set. If they didn't have DLC compatibility and didn't regurgitate the old songs as "new" I'd live, but I marked that as my second choice regardless.

Please release a new Rock Band though Harmonix. Take all of my money.

AlStrong

Obviously: DLC & HW compatibility.

I'm actually not that big on online multiplayer, so I hope they put a good amount of time into the character & band customization options and a campaign/tour. I liked that RB3 was flexible at times with custom selection or choice of song types during the tour.

They also need to go back to RB2 custom band selection instead of the rather uninformative, trial & error selection in RB3 i.e. picking which character is on what instrument in the absence of a real player.

Sobriquet

I want:

1) DLC compatibility (360 -> Xbone)
2) An instrument pack with a download code (instead of disc). I sold all of my instruments.
3) More than Strats: Telecasters, Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Mustangs. How on earth did we never get a Tele?

One of the above might happen. :(

Top Bottom