• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix Surveying for New Rock Band Title

Lady Gaia

I'd be all over this and have filled in the survey. Offer a rental / subscription model for songs, and ditch the dedicated Pro instruments for Rocksmith style real instrument integration. There just isn't enough room between plastic and wanting a decent instrument to stay on the path they were on.

Note to Microsoft: back this. The 360 was the de facto Rock Band platform and I'd buy an Xbox One just to avoid duplicating DLC purchases.

jond76

Banned
tumblr_lsemkc0nwt1qetmqsst.gif

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I no longer have any working instruments, but would gladly buy a full new set (may have to find a GH guitar if they don't improve theirs, I wasn't a fan) if they do bring it out.

I need this so bad.

Lol. I'm ready!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7Z2SHPN

PLEASE MAKE DLC COMPATIBILITY THE TOP PRIORITY!!!

They also sent an email for Amplitude supporters, in case anybody was wondering.

I made DLC compatibility my top priority. Even though I own 3 mics that work and a couple of guitar. My drum kit is temperamental and I always like the feeling of new hardware. So I'd be very inclined to buy a full band in a box bundle rather than rely on my ageing instruments.

I just don't see Microsoft ever allowing 360 controllers of any kind to work on Xbox One. It's the same situation that fighting sticks have, unless that situation has changed when I wasn't paying attention.

Despite my problems with that policy, I'd still buy a new Rock Band on Xbox One if it meant I got to keep all my DLC / exported songs.

PS3 was my primary RockBand machine and right now I only have PC and Wii U. The verdict on a PS4 or XB1 purchase will be out for at least all of 2015 and maybe even half of 2016. I would buy RB4 (or whatever it will be called) if there was a way for them to see which DLC on your console of choice and then move those songs to your new console of choice. Or maybe I'll just buy anyway even without instrument and dlc compatibility. I'm just happy to see that the series has not been forgotten regardless of whether real steps are being taken, regardless of if anything is really in motion.

Curufinwe

I'm only interested in a new RB if they get a lot of songs from artists I want to play, specifically Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins. The base game should be free, and then you just buy the songs you want. The days of playing thru a long campaign full of songs I don't care about are over.

YES YES YES YES
I'm so glad they're looking into this. I really hope it comes out on all platforms and has a way for me to transfer DLC over.
I am a little disappointed there wasn't anything on the survey about a DLC subscription, because I'd love to see them consider something like that. I'd be far more likely to pay a monthly fee and access all DLC than rebuy all my old DLC.

LakeEarth

I understand if my plastic instruments won't work on the newer systems, but if I have to, for the love of god hire people from RedOctane. I really did not like the RB ones.

Just discovered Activision closed RedOctane, less than 4 years after buying them. Those fucking companies.

Why are they playing with my emotions like this? I honestly thought that I'd never play a "band" game on the current gen consoles and then this survey comes out. Please Harmonix, PLEASE give me a new Rock Band with DLC and old instrument compatibility. I played RB2 and 3 long after my friends lost interest. I've spent a nice chunk of change on buying new songs too. I really hope this happens.

ElNino

LOL?

Genre was a cultural phenomenon when they had a disk based model.

Moved to DLC and it died.

Remember SIngstar? It was huge.

Remember DDR?

Well I have no idea what happened there, but I assume DLC was involved.
But Rock Band thrived on the weekly DLC model (in addition to on-disc music). I'm not sure how those other franchises failing matters when RB didn't.

As someone who owns a large library of songs on Xbox 360 but currently owns a Wii U and PS4, I would probably just rebuy the songs I really enjoyed playing on PS4 it they are available. Probably cheaper than buying an Xbox One just for Rockband.

vg260

I put large list of on-disc songs last.
On-disc songs are at a disadvantage in terms of future usability, and often get stranded due to different licensing restrictions. It's better if a song you like is DLC.

Matriox

Link to the Survey https://t.co/CxZgUQcFNi

They ask all the right questions (How many working instruments do you have and what are they? Do you care about single player? ect)

Only thing they miss is the pre-order question- they need an option of "I'll preorder it if the final song list is good"

Thanks for the link, took the survey and it feels like I checked a lot of boxes...

Regardless if I can even find some of my old instruments at my old house I'd like some nice new ones, so hardware compatibility isnt as relevant to me. I'd prefer it if my DLC transferred but would also understand if it didnt. I'd just buy the DLC I know I couldn't live without and grab the new ones as they catch my fancy.

I put large list of on-disc songs last.
On-disc songs are at a disadvantage in terms of future usability, and often get stranded due to different licensing restrictions. It's better if a song you like is DLC.

Historically most on disc songs in Harmonix titles were forward compatible with new version of Rock Band and Dance Central. Only a handful of songs didn't move forward over six games.

LOL?

Remember DDR?

Actually, I think it was the opposite. Guitar Hero killed the genre with all of its disk-based games. They may have been the best "value," but when they started having 2 (or more!) releases per year, people got tired of it. Rock Band had the weekly DLC which was quite successful, as it didn't result in multiple games on shelves, and gave players the choice of what they wanted.

LOL?

Remember DDR?

That is not at all why the music genre died. It died due to over saturation of the market, mostly to blame on Guitar Hero. That and it was a fad and all fads die out.

Despite the market collapse Rock Band continued to be successful with weekly DLC for a long time.

espher

I bought an Xbox for Rock Band.

I would buy an Xbox One for Rock Band 4 if my DLC was compatible. Would buy instruments again.

I do hope they offer new instruments though because mine are all broken

Yup, same here. I no longer have a single rock band instrument. If I did, existing hardware compat would be top of my list, but since I personally don't own any hardware anymore, it's at the bottom of mine. Back-compat DLC was the top of my list though.

Would love to see what new things they will do!

But Rock Band thrived on the weekly DLC model (in addition to on-disc music). I'm not sure how those other franchises failing matters when RB didn't.

Thrived? The fact that they stopped releasing DLC and nobody played it anymore doesnt exactly scream "thrived" to me. Doesnt help that the RB instruments were garbage.

Im pretty sure GH always outsold RB, by significant margins too.

ultron87

Filled it out. Would totally be in for new Rock Band. The few months in college where we had "band practice" in one of our dorm rooms multiple nights a week was one of my favorite periods.

I hope my drums that have been in my trunk for two years still work.

Compatibility of existing DLC and hardware.

Please Harmonix. Please.
If this happens, I'm totally back in.

And can they work a deal with Red Octane to have new Guitar Hero controllers made? I hated the RB instruments. Guitar Hero guitar was always my go to option.

Oh, and if they figured out a way to leverage the Rocksmith adapter so I could learn to play the songs with a real guitar? All the better!

espher

Thrived? The fact that they stopped releasing DLC and nobody played it anymore doesnt exactly scream "thrived" to me. Doesnt help that the RB instruments were garbage.

Yeah, weekly DLC from Nov 2007 - Apr 2012 was a total waste of time. They made no money on that at all. The game also died -- they only had six digit unique user counts ~3y after ending content support.

#dedgaem

Edit: Obviously it wound down over time, but, come on.

prag16

Banned
Please God allow backwards compatibility with new instruments.

At least on the Wii U, it's easy as hell. I got a nice Guitar Hero 5 guitar just sitting around.

The Rock Band Wii instruments used some USB adapter, but they also supported Guitar Hero instruments (connected via Wii remote). Wonder if it would be too much to expect for them to support those Wii remote based instruments if they launched a new title on Wii U...

AgeEighty

I would request that if they do offer compatibility with the existing song catalog, that they let me re-download the songs I already have on Xbox 360 to a PS4 version.

...But I know how unreasonable that sounds. It would be a logistical nightmare I'm sure.

...But I don't own an Xbox One and have no plans to purchase one.

...But I don't want to lose my very large DLC catalog.

...Sigh.

Yeah, I'm not against buying new hardware (though if they can make the old ones work than by all means!), but having DLC carry over would be a godsend and kind of a must have. I have a ridiculous amount of songs that I would rather not have to buy again and would cost way more than buying a new full set of gear. It's not necessarily a deal breaker if it doesn't carry over, but I'm going to be extremely bummed and a bit turned off if it doesn't.

I would request that if they do offer compatibility with the existing song catalog, that they let me re-download the songs I already have on Xbox 360 to a PS4 version.

...But I know how unreasonable that sounds. It would be a logistical nightmare I'm sure.

...But I don't own an Xbox One and have no plans to purchase one.

...But I don't want to lose my very large DLC catalog.

...Sigh.
Admit it. The very large DLC catalog would be reason enough to buy an Xbox One.

entremet

LOL?

Remember DDR?

Rock Band had tons of retail releases. Off the top of my head:

Rock Band
Rock Band 2
Rock Band 3
Lego Rock Band
Rock Band Beatles
Rock Band Greenday

Rock Band had tons of retail release. Off the top of my head:

Rock
Rock Band 2
Rock Band 3
Lego Rock Band
Rock Band Beatles
Rock Band Greenday

Don't forget the themed track packs, and Rock Band AC/DC as well. Which could all be played on-disk as well as transferred over as DLC for the main games.

What they should have done is built a timeless music box. You dont need a $400 machine to run RB. A dedicated music box so you can use the same instruments and keep the same songs forever and ever.

Rock Band had tons of retail release. Off the top of my head:

Rock
Rock Band 2
Rock Band 3
Lego Rock Band
Rock Band Beatles
Rock Band Greenday

Yup, and the series died when Rock Band 4 didnt hit retail.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7Z2SHPN

PLEASE MAKE DLC COMPATIBILITY THE TOP PRIORITY!!!

They also sent an email for Amplitude supporters, in case anybody was wondering.

it was my #2

local multiplayer is far more important than DLC compatibility

though in retrospect theres no way they remove local MP and DLC compat needs to be higher out of principle

right?

edit: the only reason that DLC compatibility is a must for me, is that I KNOW that there are some songs that I bought, that if given a second chance for release, they would not release. the slightly more obscure artists wouldn't get released for a rockband 4 when it came time to choose which songs to "bring up" or whatever

AgeEighty

I'd be tempted. But no. Probably not.

I'm hoping that because they tracked purchases through the Rock Band Store, they could find a way to make them platform-independent.

I'm sure it wouldn't carry over anything that's been removed from the store for license expiration, but I could live with that.

it was my #2

local multiplayer is far more important than DLC compatibility

though in retrospect theres no way they remove local MP and DLC compat needs to be higher out of principle

right?

Right.

Although I did enjoy Rock Band Blitz and would often play it at 2 in the morning with headphones on just to zone out for a while. When's that Amplitude for PS3/PS4 arrive....

LOL?

Remember DDR?

Oh you were serious? Rock Band had DLC EVERY WEEK since the first game's release all the way through to the third so that was not the issue. Besides, DLC was and is a more consumer friendly approach to games like these covering a huge breadth of genres and styles and where you are going to be interested in certain songs, but not others.

LOL?

Remember DDR?

What? It was a cultural phenomenon because it was new and fresh. DLC didn't kill the product. The over saturation of bad Guitar Hero games killed it.

A bonus note for all those Harmonix people.

I think Rock Band 4 would be the first thing I would ever consider kickstarting.

Or instead of Rock Band 4 ... I think Rock Band: Reunion Tour would be a boss name.

Rockband 4 with plastic guitar stuff AND a controller friendly mode like Blitz would be great.

TBH I dont much care for more plastic guitar nonsense but if I can play with a controller I would pick it up.

Oh you were serious? Rock Band had DLC EVERY WEEK since the first game's release all the way through to the third so that was not the issue. Besides, DLC was and is a more consumer friendly approach to games like these covering a huge breadth of genres and styles and where you are going to be interested in certain songs, but not others.

If the public cared for DLC, why did GH, with bare bones DLC, massively outsell RB?

How the hell is DLC, at $2.99 a song, more consumer friendly than 90 songs for $49.99?

Xevren

I understand if my plastic instruments won't work on the newer systems, but if I have to, for the love of god hire people from RedOctane. I really did not like the RB ones.

Just discovered Activision closed RedOctane, less than 4 years after buying them. Those fucking companies.

We're doomed to Strats, RIP

Top Bottom