• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix Surveying for New Rock Band Title

Gleethor

DLC compatability would be nice but sucks for the not-insignificant number of people who've switched platforms. For example, I spent hundreds of dollars on DLC on the Wii version but I doubt a new Rock Band would appear on Wii U, which means I would have to rebuy everything on PS4. Unless by some miracle they find a way to credit people with DLC cross-platform.

Shinriji

I would rather have a free version of RB with DLC and instruments compatibility, just like Singstar.

Most of the disk tracklist is terrible anyway,

Making all the DLC (and instruments, to a slightly lesser extent) cross compatible from PS3 to PS4 is all I care about. Sadly it's probably not very likely.

statham

done, even through I have 3 guitars still, I hope they release new, better instruments, old ones still being compatible.

I switched platforms so all my dlc is on playstation. I'd probably buy a ps4 for this game if it was compatible.

I do have an old guitar hero 2 controller for Xbox 360 though

I hope they have an announcement for e3. As far as I know they have nothing announced beyond amplitude and some PC games that I doubt are resource intensive. They have nothing past the middle of this year

I was playing Rock Band 3 with my cousins three days ago. It's one of the best local multiplayer games. Hope Harmonix brings #4 with the DLC and hardware compatibility. :D

Please work out how to make this a reality Harmonix! Bonus points if you can get it onto PC too. In fact, I don't know why Rock Band free-to-play isn't already a thing on PC...seems like a no-brainer.

Also, while I would love compatibility with current instruments, I would much prefer to be able to plug-in my real guitar through a USB to 1/4" cable like Rocksmith, and learn how to play the songs as they actually are on a Guitar.

In other words, Rocksmith + Drums and singing and you are my heroes.

Damn I would love to be able to fill that out.

"Compatibility of existing DLC" and "Compatibility of existing hardware" would be priority for me.

I scored one of these:

18j46hpfthxbxjpg.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5425955/rock-band-wireless-wooden-fender-stratocaster-review-no-turning-back

And yeah, I'm not turning back.
Best RB and GH guitar. Felt so god damn good in your hands.

Apoc29

I was 360 Rock Band last gen but went with PS4 this gen. I would be grateful if songs and/or instruments were made compatible but I won't hold my breath. I will play a new Rock Band by whatever means necessary!

Deadstar

done, even through I have 3 guitars still, I hope they release new, better instruments, old ones still being compatible.

I think the drum cymbals could be improved. They didn't work 100% of the time. I have to imagine that if dlc does cross over to the new gen there would be no way to transfer it to a different console. I wish there was an account system where your dlc followed you whichever platform you went to.

Wow they actually had an option for DLC compatibility... If they can make it happen, I'll buy 10 copies

Also, my pro midi adapter better work because I've got a really nice electronic drum kit now

CloudWolf

A new Rock Band game would probably convince me to buy a new console.

I would rather have a free version of RB with DLC and instruments compatibility, just like Singstar.
Licensing and creating songs for Singstar is a lot cheaper and easier though.

I think the drum cymbals could be improved. They didn't work 100% of the time. I have to imagine that if dlc does cross over to the new gen there would be no way to transfer it to a different console. I wish there was an account system where your dlc followed you whichever platform you went to.
I'd imagine licenses are the problem not technical means. They could patch rockband 3 to check what games you have purchased and credited that to a rock band account they'd patch in.

Wasn't the original dlc compatibility a patch on the first game?

It's probably easier to argue for same system comparability since they contract wording is probably loosed there. But I wonder who they were written since they always referred to rock band as a platform. They might have been thinking this far

_woLf

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssss

I'd buy this in a heartbeat, but ONLY if all my DLC from my Xbox 360 version transferred over. Even if it was only allowed PS3 --> PS4 and 360 --> Xbone I'd be fine with it. I still have some of my instruments but I'd probably buy a new set of drums because of how beat up mine are.

I think this became a thing once Harmonix learned about the Kinect being sent to death. This series can print money, so getting it going again would be pretty nice for them.

Deadstar

If the dlc does NOT come over and instruments don't work I'm not sure I want to invest in all of that again. Rock Band is one of my favorite games of all time but I don't know if I could justify the cost.

Do Guitar Hero guitars count as functional Rock Band instruments? Or no? I know they worked on all the Wii games sans Rock Band 1 but I'm assuming this is strictly for RB instruments.

edit: I'm in 100% for a Wii U version with Wiimote (GH5 guitar and then I can buy a full band kit for bass and other instruments) and free online multiplayer!

DLC and instrument compatibility, please.

A large on-disc library of songs.

And if you aren't going to make the DLC crossover for free, at least make the fee cheap and/or a la carte (like a one-time $9.99 fee to upload all 360 DLC to your XB1 or something).

My friends and I were huge into RB through like...2013. This would be fantastic if they did it right...

FyreWulff

Wii U and PS4 have actual technical capability to work with old instruments. The 360 ones would be the odd one out since the 360 used a proprietary wireless protocol that the One doesn't have. The only USB instruments are RB1 gear and the Xplorer.

I've got so many DLC songs on my Xbox 360 but I've hopped over to the PS3 and then eventually the PS4 as my main console. I hope they figure out some system with the Rock Band Network to support cross-platform/cross-gen DLC.

If you can use your old DLC and old instruments (including pro instruments) and they keep supporting pro mode, I'll be back for sure.

Let me use my PS2 guitar hero instruments and disks or no sale

All songs available on disk.

I want to pay $10 for a 90 song disk on clearance, not $2.99 a song

Metfanant

100% im in IF....

1. Instruments are backwards compatible...id be willing to buy a new guitar if its of a high quality...but i have no interest in buying multiple guitars, or a new drum set to replace my PS3 instruments...

2. DLC backwards compatibility is a MUST..i WILL NOT buy the new game without DLC backwards compatibility...

3. disc exports for our older games would be awesome, unless they can include all of the previous songs on the new disc

Only thing they miss is the pre-order question- they need an option of "I'll preorder it if the final song list is good"

way too subjective of a question...

On one hand, I want compatibility with existing songs. On the other hand, I played Rock Band on Xbox 360 and now game primarily on PC and Wii U. I don't have an Xbox One, and I wouldn't see myself making many purchases for Xbox One that aren't Rock Band-related.

Pandacon

This is interesting since I started playing rockband again a little over a month ago.

Though I hope they find some way where I can get my Rockband 1-3 songs onto the potential new Rockband game.

To this day, I still get together with friends every couple weekends to drink and play rock band. It is one of the best games ever. Filled this survey out gladly, and with haste!

It's depressing there's no "Just let me pay $20 and play the whole catalog for an evening", option. The music industry as a whole is getting away from song purchases. Let us stream our Rock Band.

I would imagine they're keeping open about this as an option, but I also wonder if that would be a licensing nightmare. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility though.

What the...

Why would you kill Pro Guitar? It has no affect on those not using it. Like, I think the implementation could use some work, but this makes no sense.

I would assume it requires extra work to implement and test the Pro charts. Meaning that they would need to sell more DLC to be profitable. That could affect everyone in the long run.

FyreWulff

I would assume it requires extra work to implement and test the Pro charts. Meaning that they would need to sell more DLC to be profitable.

That was the reason Pro was a separate upgrade instead of being included in the songs. You only had to pay for the Pro labor if you wanted the Pro charts.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think they're worried for PC versions having mods.

Guitar Hero 3 on PC was awesome with modding in your own custom soundtrack but I can see where they'd want to avoid that.

Rock Band on consoles had a pretty thriving custom soundtrack community. It might be harder to pull off on the newer consoles, but I don't think it's too much of a valid reason to ignore an entire healthy platform. Rocksmith has 300+ songs available for the 2014 version, they seem to be doing alright.

That was the reason Pro was a separate upgrade instead of being included in the songs. You only had to pay for the Pro labor if you wanted the Pro charts.

I forgot about that. Though, I wonder how many actually buy those. Someone has to, or it won't be any use making them.

Anyway, the most important thing for me is to have all the current DLC available for the next game too. Or at least most of it. There will probably be licensing issues with at least some songs.

Top Bottom