• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter [Mafia] |OT| “Yer a werewolf, ‘Arry”

Ok, I'll sorta start this

There were two main issues I had with this game

1. The horcrux win condition. It was not made known to scum, and I was sincere when I said while alive that it seemed ridiculous scum could lose the game while scum were still alive

2. How dependent the game seemed on scum finding Voldy. Scum had 3 full roles dedicated to this dude. The override immediately exposed two full members of our team. Crucio practically was only useful for a secondary search for Voldy and finding the neutrals. I only got names, nothing else. Then pettigrew himself. The game seemed designed around a chain of events that the game itself didn't do enough, imo, to ensure would occur. Once voldy died, we were essentially 3 ordinary scum members, while town was chock full of investigative roles.

I also found how long each and every one of the neutrals had to live, with no real protection from nks or poisons, a bit of an issue.

I5kQflN.gif

Rynam

Congrats crab for surviving so long. :D
But, I'm still wondering wth happened on Night2 with all the switching around.

Kalor

I'm curious to read the scum/dead thread as from my perspective it didn't appear broken although I guess it would be more apparent to the Mafia.

Crab, you did really well considering you were spotted N1.

SEVEN SCUM!?!? That seems like WAY too many to me. I am actually surprised we won now.

Look over the roles town got

-A spy/weak poison doctor/weak cop- the spy could've ruined all the scum team at once. We got lucky with the posts chosen

-An investigator that ignored one of the millers
-Two switchers that could confirm each other and had higher priority than our switcher

-A neutral investigator
-A role that could verify any and all role claims. This was huge with lone_prodigy
-A watcher

None of neutras had any reason to go for a scum win, they only wanted to prolong the game long enough to win

Three scum got caught in the first night. Thank god for Crab's mind control, we would've lost the game real quick without it

Sorian

Banned
I meant scum chat hyper/:

Sword kills Exdou
Kalor Kills Roy for attacking Cm

Help me out here with the sword, I know Sawneeks handed it out to someone but what did the sword do?

I also found how long each and every one of the neutrals had to live, with no real protection from nks or poisons, a bit of an issue.

I very very much agree with you on the neutrals thing. Neutral win conditions do tend to be tuned fairly difficult but TheWorthyEdge's win condition was straight up SAVAGE mode.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A big thanks to salva and nin for running the game. Everyone should know that running a game is infinitely harder and more stressful than playing one, and salva and nin took on a big batch of players for their very first game to make it extra stressful for them. All things considered, I think they did a good job, and I look forward to playing any future games they design with all the things they learnt from this round.

I think all of my scum team-mates played really well. With the exception of Hyper, everyone was caught out by night actions rather than scum reads, so there's nothing to be ashamed of there, and eve Hyper was a partial bus (if a little accidental). My scum MvP would be roy, who flew under the radar I think for the vast majority of the game whilst being a big contributor to strategy in the scum thread. Definitely someone to watch out for in future games!

In terms of neutrals, Gorlak obviously played fantastically. I think bananaspaceprincess sort of tripped herself up - we'd never have tried to kill her if she hadn't revealed reports, so if she'd just used the FRONT PAGE to post nonsense all game she'd probably have won. Nevertheless, given she more or less chose to play as town, she had good reads on that front. TheWorthyEdge had a win condition that was close to impossible to fulfil, so it's difficult to rate him, but I hope he's not discouraged.

In terms of town play, I'd say Christina_Mackenzie. We didn't even realize his role worked at random, so good was he at managing the information that came his way, and clever things like the coded messages and so on were good play (although probably not something we'll see again in GAFIA). C_M was also very good at persuading town, which is why I narrowly pick C_M for my town MvP over Blargonaut. Blargonaut give us a hell of a trouble with his investigations and his idea for the tank, but I think sometimes his craziness allowed us to paint him as not particularly credible too easily - despite the fact he was bang on the money about me, I managed to persist for 5 days after getting caught! Nevertheless, Blargy boy was definitely a top town player.

I'll discuss balance in the review thread if people want, but it's probably not for me to critique this game specifically as I played in it, which obviously colours my view. If nin or salva do want specific feedback, I'll probably PM it to them unless they want to share.

Help me out here with the sword, I know Sawneeks handed it out to someone but what did the sword do?

I very very much agree with you on the neutrals thing. Neutral win conditions do tend to be tuned fairly difficult but TheWorthyEdge's win condition was straight up SAVAGE mode.

Sword destroys horcruxes and could act as a 1-shot cop tool, as it did with me. Nagini was a horcrux, hence it's use on TheExodus5 killing him

The sword destroys Horcruxes, and Nagini is a Horcrux that was killed by the sword in lore.

Big thanks to Salva, Nin, and all of the players! Huge props to team scum, I was utterly convinced that Exodu5 and Crab were town for much of the game. Also, it needs to be said again- I'm really sorry that I didn't play well. I had a good time, but I was also constantly second guessing myself and my thoughts and feelings about my reads. That's really no excuse though, so again, I'm sorry.

If I had one problem with the game, it was that there were certain role characteristics (switcher, investigator, etc) that more than one role had access to. I've never encountered it to this degree before which made it very tough to adjust to.

In case anybody was curious, I was the sword user. It was used to destroy Horcruxes. I recieved it N3 and used it to destory both the ring and (in a stroke of luck) Exodu5.

A big thanks to salva and nin for running the game. Everyone should know that running a game is infinitely harder and more stressful than playing one, and salva and nin took on a big batch of players for their very first game to make it extra stressful for them. All things considered, I think they did a good job, and I look forward to playing any future games they design with all the things they learnt from this round.

I think all of my scum team-mates played really well. With the exception of Hyper, everyone was caught out by night actions rather than scum reads, so there's nothing to be ashamed of there, and eve Hyper was a partial bus (if a little accidental). My scum MvP would be roy, who flew under the radar I think for the vast majority of the game whilst being a big contributor to strategy in the scum thread. Definitely someone to watch out for in future games!

In terms of neutrals, Gorlak obviously played fantastically. I think bananaspaceprincess sort of tripped herself up - we'd never have tried to kill her if she hadn't revealed reports, so if she'd just used the FRONT PAGE to post nonsense all game she'd probably have won. Nevertheless, given she more or less chose to play as town, she had good reads on that front.

In terms of town play, I'd say Christina_Mackenzie. We didn't even realize his role worked at random, so good was he at managing the information that came his way, and clever things like the coded messages and so on were good play (although probably not something we'll see again in GAFIA). C_M was also very good at persuading town, which is why I narrowly pick C_M for my town MvP over Blargonaut. Blargonaut give us a hell of a trouble with his investigations and his idea for the tank, but I think sometimes his craziness allowed us to paint him as not particularly credible too easily - despite the fact he was bang on the money about me, I managed to persist for 5 days after getting caught! Nevertheless, Blargy boy was definitely a top town player.

I'll discuss balance in the review thread if people want, but it's probably not for me to critique this game specifically as I played in it, which obviously colours my view. If nin or salva do want specific feedback, I'll probably PM it to them unless they want to share.

I'll agree to this. Harry Potter mafia was a ton of fun, and I want nin and salva to know that I enjoyed the game

Also crab, roy played amazingly, but I think we can all agree that you're undisputed scum mvp

I haven't ever seen a scum performance like that, it was one for the ages

Burbeting

Banned

In terms of neutrals, Gorlak obviously played fantastically. I think bananaspaceprincess sort of tripped herself up - we'd never have tried to kill her if she hadn't revealed reports, so if she'd just used the FRONT PAGE to post nonsense all game she'd probably have won. Nevertheless, given she more or less chose to play as town, she had good reads on that front. TheWorthyEdge had a win condition that was close to impossible to fulfil, so it's difficult to rate him, but I hope he's not discouraged.

Pretty much wholeheartedly agreed with this post. All of you guys did very well.

MagnumBoy20xx

Neo Member
I enjoyed the game for the most part, but it was definitely hard to play for newbies. A lot of scum and prs really made it hard to keep up. Thanks salva and nin for running it!

Kalor

I have to agree that Christina played really well. I didn't even pick up on the key to decrypt the messages being the horcrux win condition until Kawl mentioned something along those lines. It was quite satisfying realizing that and decoding the message. After reaching in the dark, it was nice to have some confirmed people for once. I've got the messages saved in a text file so I guess I'll post the first one.

Dumbledore, Harry, Ron... I hope you're able to read this message.I'm not going to claim my role in the main thread because of the possible danger that might fall to any of you who openly says that you trust me. I intend for everyone to role claim their character name so that we can hopefully narrow down the suspects. As a precaution I've listed out my findings here in this post in case the Death Eaters have an overide. Use this information in your investigations.My ability is to receive role PMs at random using the command STUDY. Now that I've shared with you my findings I've fufilled my role. I can no longer receive reports of role PMs and am now expendable. Do not try to save me or convince anyone in the thread to do so.I asked Salvapot via PM if he would reveal the existence of Horocruxes in our PMs if lynched/killed and he said no. I'm hoping he'll also edit out the alternative win condition so no one else can read these messages.Harry if you wish to make yourself known to us, please use the word "incredulous" in response to my request for everyone to role claim. Ron please use the phrase "leap of faith". Whether you wish to do so or not, I leave it up to you to decide. I think it will help if we can all identify each other so Blarg will know who to investigate.Blarg if you can read this, post any cat gif.

The other two are just Christina's investigation results so no point posting those when that information is out there.

I want to mention that the flavor for this game was really sweet. You could tell a lot of work went into it (especially those early deaths), and as a fan of flavor I really appreciated it.

Oh, also thanks to Sawneeks for hooking me up with a sword. This was my fourth time being an ordinary role so I was pleasantly surprised to get a night action in the end.

roytheone

I have to agree that Christina played really well. I didn't even pick up on the key to decrypt the messages being the horcrux win condition until Kawl mentioned something along those lines. It was quite satisfying realizing that and decoding the message. After reaching in the dark, it was nice to have some confirmed people for once. I've got the messages saved in a text file so I guess I'll post the first one.

The other two are just Christina's investigation results so no point posting those when that information is out there.

Not going to lie, that encrypting was really smart, but should also probably be banned from any future games.

I never got to use the role claim I came up with before I ever got my role pm XD

I see I've been getting quite the attention lately. Aww hell, let me get this out of the way now

You see, I am no person rather, I am one of Harry Potter's Horcrux- The Half Blood Prince's Potion Book

hbp9-8.jpg

In 2007, there was a crisis in the world of J. K. Rowling. Harry Potter had been a major hit. But would it be a fad? For the continued immortality of the franchise, our beloved headmistress had various solutions, for each of the 7 books: the Hallows, some Horucruxes, etc. I represent the sixth book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Now I myself have been trapped in a cupboard for sometime. I don't know how many of us are left. There are rumors that a wizard by the name of Robert Gailbraith killed one of us. That the splitting of the world into two, regarding the 7th movie, destroyed the horcrux of the deathly hallows. I only know me for me, and I only know that I am inside this castle because I had always been. If I have brothers in the audience, or indeed, our original himself, I don't know

WHAT??!!

HARRY POTTER NEVER COMMITTED MURDER OR DARK MAGIC

I hear you cry

And you wouldn't consider the terrible murder of beloved Pooh murder?

dead_winnie_the_pooh_12685-s364x350-50240-580.jpg

The Harry Potter franchise has committed a great many evils in this world. 

And you really think Dumbeldore willingly drank that potion that caused him so much suffering? Really? That version was so kiddied up it hurt
It was HARRY THAT KILLED DUMBELDORE

Or perhaps when Harry killed poor innocent Quirrel. Oh, not just Voldemort, no he HAD to kill Quirrel too. The poor man, he was simply coerced into such evil. He had a weak mind with which to fight Voldemort. Wouldn't any of you do the same as Quirrel?

Now Harry wasn't constantly acting as a serial killer, which is why there aren't even a full 7 of us. But 6th book does represent his deepest, most malicious descent into darkness, as I hope you all remember

Now for my power:

1-Shot Levicorpus-  Roleblock one player
1-Shot Vulnera Sanentur
-
Stops someone from dying, but doesn't protect against dark magic. I fear our enemies have other forms of murder than a simple Avada Kedavra

and finally

522ae912b5300e6f3994baafbb9a82f4.jpg

1-shot vig kill

Pretty sure C_M had an idea to this plan, seeing as C_M was the one to make that avatar XD

Kawl_USC

Fun, if decidedly pretty confusing, game. Between the amount of switchers and double roles, I think I'll stick to games lower on the crab scale from now on. The several switchers and investigators are what made me less sure that Crab's role being similar to mine meant he was scum. But meh, think I played the game poorly for the most part. I definitely don't deserve the win as I believed Crab for the majority of the game and I think contributed to helping get some heat off of him. Guess I'll take the lesson to be more critical and revising opinions of players as it goes on. Think I was also over critical of Blarg due to his way of posting. Sorry as you were definitely spot on in your posts, effort, and analysis.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ok, I'll sorta start this

There were two main issues I had with this game

1. The horcrux win condition. It was not made known to scum, and I was sincere when I said while alive that it seemed ridiculous scum could lose the game while scum were still alive

2. How dependent the game seemed on scum finding Voldy. Scum had 3 full roles dedicated to this dude. The override immediately exposed two full members of our team. Crucio practically was only useful for a secondary search for Voldy and finding the neutrals. I only got names, nothing else. Then pettigrew himself. The game seemed designed around a chain of events that the game itself didn't do enough, imo, to ensure would occur. Once voldy died, we were essentially 3 ordinary scum members, while town was chock full of investigative roles.

I will agree with both of these points.

1) This should have totally been made known to scum, as they would then have the imperative to protect the town members that had the items.

2) The roles were definitely balanced around 1 specific mechanic, which is nowhere near ideal. The fact is that games never go according to the mod's original plan, and roles need to have "escape routes" if you will, if they don't go that way.

That is such a Hermione thing to do. But I agree that kind of bypasses the rule of "outside communication".

I think the flavour and lore both helped and hindered this game. Helped, in that it made flavour more interesting, but hindered the game by being too faithful to the actual series.

The thing I'm still the most displeased with is my single use switch not having priority over F/Gs multiuse. Blarg should have died night 2.

Hermoines role was also questionable. A role to bypass godfather(intentionally or not) is kinda bullshit if I'm already gimped.

Rynam

The thing I'm still the most displeased with is my single use switch not having priority over F/Gs multiuse. Blarg should have died night 2.

Hermoines role was also questionable. A role to bypass godfather(intentionally or not) is kinda bullshit if I'm already gimped.

I still can't wrap my head around that Switching, The Weasleys switched Burb and Blarg, and you switched X and Blarg right?
I was Watching Blarg that Night but because of the switches watched Burb then. But you switched Burb with X then and I watched X. But why did i only see The weasly and not you?

Enker

Likewise, I won but I shouldn’t have. Crab for Mafia God status.

In case anyone was curious, my Stupify logic:

1. Blarg is Blarg, this was for the humor factor alone. Obviously Scum had the same idea =)
  2. Gorlak was another high poster. I didn't hit Hyper because I thought his (in game) fustration would ooze from the screen and arson us all.
  3. Myself, because gotta take my own medicine. Also was the best way to "prove" my townness.
  4. Crab, this was RNG because I didn't submit a night action. So blame the mods on this one.
  5. Crab again, because BSP was my lore buddy.
  6. Nobody, to give Crab a chance to make fake excuses before we lynched him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't wrap my head around that Switching, The Weasleys switched Burb and Blarg, and you switched X and Blarg right?
I was Watching Blarg that Night but because of the switches watched Burb then. But you switched Burb with X then and I watched X. But why did i only see The weasly and not you?

salva and nin made a small mistake that night. You should indeed have seen Roy.

LoC switched Blarg and Crab. We targeted the kill on crab. Rynam targets Blargonaut. TheGoddamn switches Blarg and Burb. TheWorthyEdge targets Burbeting

TheGoddamn switches Blarg and Burb. Rynam I guess has higher priority, so only sees TheGoddamn, who had higher priority than LoC, which is why he didn't see LoC

TWE is now targeting Blarg, steals his ring

Now LoC switches Burb and Crab, kill delivered onto Crab

Except there's more fuckery Burb can feel free to tell everyone, or wait a little later

Also some issue that I'm still confused about, let me dig up the posts I made in scum thead to figure out what happened

*cough*

So, in the days before my death, there was a post I was typing up to address the issue of Gorlak's shit-stirring. He was annoying the hell out of me (kudos, you) and I felt a need to engage him before the rest of Hogwarts really started to embrace his shtick. I had thought that he had somehow cracked Christina Mackenzie's cipher and had seen the specific request for me to post a cat GIF in acknowledgment of decoding the messages, hence that Draco cat-vatar of his.

However, I came to the conclusion that he likely just found the Dumble-kitty GIF I posted entertaining (lol?), and that his avatar-edit was not at all because he had decoded it, but because he wanted to mock/bait me or something; I eventually realized that there was really no possible way that he could have extrapolated the whole sentence from the snippet that Kalor/Ron shared. So, I eventually made the decision to not post this quoted thing below.

It's not much of anything really, but I thought it'd be cute to share. Here is the .txt file as I had abandoned it, uncompleted:

Hello again.

Before I continue, I'd just like to say that Gorlak is pushing the stupidest baseless fucking theory I have ever heard in my entire career here. The accusations he's spouting are steeped in stupid as the context in lore as well as game-balancing does not fit at all whatsoever.

He is literally accusing the Dumbledore, Harry, Ron and Hermione character Roles of

The Horcrux Win condition for Hogwarts has always been a secondary affair, a potential shortcut Win for Town if fulfilled.

Gorlak, by pushing this secondary Win condition front-and-centre and then attempting to use it against the most lore-supported Town-aligned players in this entire game, you're doing absolutely nothing except running mad interference and dividing Town's interests to the point of silence and inaction as they try to

Someone may be poisoning individual players every Night, but you've been poisoning everyone everyday with these senseless accusations of a separated Town Win condition for the

And, the fact that Gorlak has altered his avatar to mimic what was the mutually-agreed upon signal of acknowledgment to be deployed on my successfully decrypting Christina Mackenzie's messages, suggests to me that he's compromised our cipher, and is privy to the information therein. Or he could have done it just to spite me with something I did that he found odd. Regardless, I have to say, Ron/Kalor, your lack of discretion and subtlety has been astounding, bordering on lore-accurate roleplaying levels. I know I encouraged the Name-claim, and I thank you for it, but you entertaining Gorlak's senseless

is I hope that's the case, you fool of a Took*.

Now, Gorlak, if you do have access to that intel, what the fuck are you gonna do with it?

If you release any of it before a 'Mass Name-claim' occurs in any capacity, as is CM and I's plan, you'll have destroyed any semblence of hope of using those results to filter out the false Name-claims from the real ones.

I honestly don't know what to do with you. If you've truly broken the code, then feel free to play the part of antiheroic whistleblower if that makes you sleep better at Night. At this point, I want you to fucking do it. It will help me determine how criminally senseless your #scumtells really are, and at least you'd have finally picked a side.

To the rest of you; if you are truly Town yourself, you need to stop entertaining Gorlak's little pet conspiracy theory. Dumbledore, Harry, Ron and Hermione have nothing but Hogwarts' interests at heart, and now that the surviving three of us have revealed ourselves in order to best help you all, it will do no good to allow a single Neutral to divide and open us up to be even more easily conquered by scum than we are being now.

*LOTR reference

Here's the post

Ok, so two switches occurred. The group of switchers are

Lord of Castamere: 1-shot scum switcher
TheGoddamn/Miracle- a pair of switchers that can confirm each other, only the last command is used (only have one switch between them)

At the beginning of the night:

Crab: LoC the switcher, our kill command
Blargonaut: LoC the switcher, TheGoddamn the switcher, Rynam the watcher
Burbeting: TheGoddamn the switcher, also some thief according to blarg (not relevant)

Town switch has more priority (burbeting and blarg), so now

Crab: scum switch, kill
Burbeting: watcher, switcher, scum switcher
Blargonaut: switcher, thief

Then the scum switch happens (crab and burbeting- aimed at blarg):

Burbeting: kill, scum switch
Crab: watcher, switcher, scum switch
Blargonaut: switcher, thief

But here's the problem- Rynam was only told of the normal switch, but as the watcher switches with his target, he should have got the scum switch.

But we've reached a point with the claims that if mods send a pm to Rynam saying "sorry, we forgot to mention this person" then LoC, the scum switcher, is IMMEDIATELY going to be lynched, due to how all the claims have progressed.

Likewise, I won but I shouldn’t have. Crab for Mafia God status.

In case anyone was curious, my Stupify logic:

1. Blarg is Blarg, this was for the humor factor alone. Obviously Scum had the same idea =)
  2. Gorlak was another high poster. I didn't hit Hyper because I thought his (in game) fustration would ooze from the screen and arson us all.
  3. Myself, because gotta take my own medicine. Also was the best way to "prove" my townness.
  4. Crab, this was RNG because I didn't submit a night action. So blame the mods on this one.
  5. Crab again, because BSP was my lore buddy.
  6. Nobody, to give Crab a chance to make fake excuses before we lynched him.

XD Bwahahaha

What's that's supposed to mean?

SalvaPot

So a few words.

First of all, Nin1000 did an amazing job of running the game while I was away.

Now, why I was away? Well, simply put... I burned out. Its not that I got bored with the game, not at all, but life got in the way in a way it has never happened before. Here is a quick list of what happened:

-Got in big trouble with school since apparently I was not registered in 3 of my classes due to a system glitch.
-One of my two pet bunnies died around that time and this hit me hard, my GF was in Japan and I was having a bit of trouble communicating with her so the fact that this happened while she was away also had me eating away with guilt.
-Work was fine, but also a constant distraction.
-A few miscommunication in my part in night 2 got me and nin scrambling for a way to fix the game so it was still fair and enjoyable.

So, as you all can see, a common theme about this game was decisions, but also there was a LOT of hidden info about pretty much all the key roles. The mafia roles were made so their main mission was to find voldemort, meanwhile town main mission was to find the horcruxes. The existence of horcruxes WAS revealed to mafia the moment voldemort died, but not to town.

The reason for the secrecy was so mafia had elements to hide themselves in. RNG and luck really REALLY helped town in this game. They found Voldemort extremely early and that pretty much threw away about 50% of the script I had planned for the game, I had planned all this epic confrontation between good and evil and all that stuff and of course that was not possible anymore.

I love to write the flavor and I hope you guys enjoy the flavor me and nin worked hard to create. The second half was faster because nin had to deal with everything himself while I was dealing with personal stuff and apathy on my part, sorry about that nin.

For now I think its the last time I am hosting a main game, it was fun! But I am certainly not ready for it as of yet. I'll be back as soon as I get my shit together and free time to spare!

Thanks everyone for playing! I'll be reading your criticism x)

Edit: And to clarify I am not complaining! You guys exceeded my expectations and got even crazier of what I was expecting, loved every second of it.

Top Bottom