• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has VR stalled ?

Well that's good to know I made a $500 mistake the last week. Fuck.

I have a rift with touch controllers. You won't be disappointed. I certainly haven't been.

People are painting the rift/vive picture in stark tunes when, as far as I can tell, the two are fairly equivalent. The biggest frustration right now is less the tech of either headset and more the fact that the experiences are kind of single serving. And roomscale or no, that's unlikely to change for either headset in the near future.

It's very early days. But the magic is real. Get excited.

Ferrio

Banned
Kickstarter is not "the market". 9,522 people backed the Oculus.

If there's a suitable amount of buyers enough to justify the creation of a new technology that's the market. The technology wasn't brought around because there was no demand and was forced upon them.

Kickstarter is the definition of letting the market decide.

Synless

I haven't touched my PSVR since last year. However this doesn't mean the content isn't there, I just have such a massive backlog the games I want to play have to wait. I am an early adopter and I know VR is in its infancy but I will support it until it takes off and becomes mainstream and beyond.

Fbh

Hard to say.
There seems to be a decent stream of games comming out and being developed for VR, specially on PC.

But nothing has really changed. It's still way too expensive and inconvenient for the average consumer and has no big killer app. This gen of VR headsets is never going to be more than a niche market for enthusiast and isn't going to get amount of coverage or discussion as games releasing on platforms with already have tens of millions (or more) of users.

It depends on what you define stalled as. A userbase in the tens of millions? Yeah, that's not happening at the entry point price.

A slow, but steady growing userbase? That seems more realistic. I'm not sure if that's the case either, although I haven't looked up actual sales figures and am just going by what I hear, which isn't much anymore. The early adopters got in and people waiting for software before jumping in are mostly still just waiting for software. I want to jump in on VR, but right now I'd use it for 10-12 hours and be done with it until something else came along that I wanted to play.

In the end I don't think that VR will be a gaming thing though. I think real world applications, like training simulators, will sustain it and gaming VR will probably fade away. VR will succeed, just not as much in the gaming sector as people will want it to.

Kickstarter is the definition of letting the market decide.

That depends. If 1,000 people kick in 30% of the required money with huge donations, then it's misleading.

cakefoo

People keep praising RE7 as the pinnacle of VR, but Alien Isolation achived the same thing technically on the Rift DK2 3 years ago. Vive is on a whole other interactive and immersive level, but I guess we'll have to wait for Fallout 4 and the Vive version of RE7 to really communicate those advantages to the people who discount anything that isn't AAA.

Interested, waiting on price. Oculus has me chomping at the bit with the price drop.

The PS4 PRO, was actually a turn off for me in the VR space, when I heard about supersampling improving the VR experience, I was annoyed because​I would need both.

Probably​ going to snag the Oculus around Christmas.

I never cared for VR, but I love new hardware so bought PSVR at launched. At first, I was kinda impress, but then, I tried Drive Club VR. That fucking game gave me motion sickness for the first time ever. It was really bad. It took me weeks to get over. To this day, I can still sometimes experience it mildly in other games. Obviously, haven't touch it since. My kids like it playing co-op so I still have it. Doubtful, I will ever try VR again.

Don't say that. It will improve in the future. This is exactly what people feared. People try it once, get sick and never want it again. Many other people don't get sick whatsoever.

Tain

People keep praising RE7 as the pinnacle of VR, but Alien Isolation achived the same thing technically on the Rift DK2 3 years ago.

Alien Isolation didn't even center the horizon correctly, let alone offer a selection of configurable comfort features.

That's not to say that I think RE7's VR implementation is particularly spectacular in a vacuum. The individual techniques used are nothing new to it, they were simply well-chosen and elegantly integrated (in a shippable state) into an otherwise brilliant game (imo a better one than Alien). The praise makes sense to me, even if I hope that Capcom takes it further with a future Vive release.

Techies

Haven't run out of things to do, just time..
Everyday something new gets released be it a free demo, experience or game.
Although you rarely see them in the media.

It hasn't really sped up enough to be able to stall yet, even though PSVR is getting new games weekly and has outsold Rift and Vive combined (while being out for less time).

So no. VR is only going to grow in the consumer market, and has been in use for decades within certain industries and even more now.

I also feel people making the big game claim seem to be ignoring RE7's effect on VR development, the fact that Farpoint is around the corner, and that games like GT Sport and Ace Combat are VR compatible.

ThisGuy

Vr is great. I play it as often as I can get away with. Its better than any gaming experience I've had. If I had one complaint, its the price of entry.

But sweet lord once you get in. I was going to buy a switch, but fuck that old ass behind the times bullshit. Vr is all that's left for me.

This again?

It's that time of the month!

Still love my PSVR, playing Dirt Rally weekly and just recently finished playing the absolutely glorious RE7.

It hasn't reached mainstream yet of course, at these prices it's not really a surprise and the big expensive games won't come soon either.

But I just don't believe that it'll fizzle out next year or whatever. This is just the beginning, headsets will get more comfortable, higher res and better fov and eyetracking and wireless...the future is bright but it'll take longer to get there than we might have hoped for.

I wish and almost expect that Sony will bring down the headset by 100$ at the end of the year. They have to if they're serious about VR, I guess we'll see how much they believe in it at E3.

For me personally yes. I sold my PSVR about a month ago for what I paid for it on day 1. I will get another one probably at a revision, and when it has a nice stable of games to play with.

People keep praising RE7 as the pinnacle of VR, but Alien Isolation achived the same thing technically on the Rift DK2 3 years ago. Vive is on a whole other interactive and immersive level, but I guess we'll have to wait for Fallout 4 and the Vive version of RE7 to really communicate those advantages to the people who discount anything that isn't AAA.

really sad that there isn't any Alien Isolation support...apparently VorpX doesn't work so well with it.

I just don't get it. More limited controls with a 3d TV strapped to your face.

It's not immersive to me. It's fake. It's uncanny valley to the max. Having the headset on removes any sense of imagination or immersion in the game for me.

I have never had a problem being immersed in a good game world like breath of the wild or the old mass effect games or even pilotwings 64 because it's a 2d screen.

I never felt like sitting in the tall grass in mgs3 waiting for a guard to pass wasn't immersive because the blades of grass weren't in front of my face.

Immersion in games is an art, and it's not a instant solution to use VR any more than it's an instant solution to use a bigger canvas and more colors to create paintings.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I've got a VR ready computer, but I'm at this point where I don't want to buy either a Vive or a Rift because it has been too long since they came out, and I keep expecting that the second I pull the trigger and buy one, some hot shit new version of them will be announced.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
For the 100th time, VR is in its infancy as a consumer product. Give it ten years to mature and become less clunky and i think a hardcore oriented device will sell 50 million units.

Tain

Immersion in games is an art, and it's not a instant solution to use VR any more than it's an instant solution to use a bigger canvas and more colors to create paintings.

Of course, and this is why I tend to be so content-focused when I talk about VR (engagement can't come from "just tech"), but in saying that you surely must recognize the value of artists having those options.

I also think you're ignoring the possibilities of third-person VR games, idk why. Maybe the concept of old classics as living dioramas isn't appealing to you, but I kinda love it.

Stoked to play Rockband VR tonight!

As for "has it stalled?" Nope. "Are we still early? Is this the usual non-holiday game slump?" Yup. Will gen 2 and gen 3 grow the market? I sure believe so.

Trojan

I've had a Vive since near launch and have gotten a lot of use out of it. It's an amazing technology. Also have demoed it to a lot of people and generally everyone walks away impressed and we've had a blast trying out different games.

That being said, I haven't used my Vive in a month and a half. Been playing a lot of games but not on VR. The content drought for major games in VR is real and my headset is out of sight, out of mind at the moment.

ThisGuy

I've got a VR ready computer, but I'm at this point where I don't want to buy either a Vive or a Rift because it has been too long since they came out, and I keep expecting that the second I pull the trigger and buy one, some hot shit new version of them will be announced.
I worry about that too, now that I own a vive. I was told there's a wireless adaptor for the headset about to drop, but I'm going to hold off on that for fear of version 2 dropping soon. Just today I read about vive 2's new controllers.

But I won't lie to you. Paintball in recroom is sooooooooooooooooooo goooooooddddd!

It's lost my interest for now. Price point is too high, and consequently development on it is limited. I'll give it a couple years and look towards advancements in the technology.

sqwarlock

I don't think cost is the biggest hang up for most people.

Why would you say that? Anecdotally, it's the only reason I haven't bought one yet. I've tried a friends Vive, and I fell in love instantly. Just can't swing the $800 for a Vive right now, though the new financing option has tempted me.

For the 100th time, VR is in its infancy as a consumer product. Give it ten years to mature and become less clunky and i think a hardcore oriented device will sell 50 million units.

I just don't think it's a technology that will merit 10 years of consumer attention or R&D. Even if it was simple and cheap, it's not going to get simpler or cheaper than a tv/monitor.

jchap

When a technology makes a large portion of potential customers physically ill then its long-term prospects aren't too hot.

Mcdohl

IMO yes, and also imo it never really took off.

There's still time, but nah, I really doubt it will ever happen.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's not that cheap. It's not that great.

If they can nail the hardware and price on the next gen of headsets, it stands a fighting chance of being revived.

jim2011

Oculus is knocking if out of the park imo with content. Just got rock band vr today and robo recall is awesome. Zelda will still dominate my time but I'm happy with oculus and my 3 sensor setup.

I just don't think it's a technology that will merit 10 years of consumer attention or R&D. Even if it was simple and cheap, it's not going to get simpler or cheaper than a tv/monitor.

I bet you are wrong here.

Just like cellphones, VR/AR is going to be massive mainstream in a very near future.

Didn't RE7 come out like a month and a half ago alone? And the VR aspect was so successful that Capcom will continue to invest in it? For game aspect that requires a $400 add on, that's really good. Also, wait for E3 to come around. Sony will have stuff in store for sure.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
How could it not stall? You're still effectively asking people to buy two expensive pieces of hardware. It's like buying two game consoles (PS4 + PSVR) or, worse, two gaming PCs (computer + HTC Vive).

Really, this makes anything VR-related moot right now. It's just way too much money to ask of most people - and honestly, most enthusiasts - for what is, at the end of the day, nothing but entertainment. And since software libraries require large install bases to thrive, well...

Nah, I think it's where it should be right now. There are still things being released (I'm personally looking forward to Farpoint), but VR was never meant to replace current gaming. The Resident Evil 7 VR talk was everywhere a couple of months ago and if it seems like nobody is talking about it now then there's a damn good reason for that; people are playing Zelda, Horizon, Nier, etc.at the moment.

MaDKaT

Lol, stalled. We are barely cresting out of the infancy of the medium. Like the early days of consoles (which many here werent even born for), was a slow burn. Things have only just begun, and it will explode. Just have to hit a good price/vs experience.

Top Bottom