• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hat in Time releases in 2 days, yet JonTron still seems to be in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montresor

This won’t affect my decision to purchase but I respect the decision from those who will pass on the game because of this.

Vimes

I can see why you're frustrated with this, but there is no "wave of indie alt right". That doesn't exist.

I'm not claiming the indie scene have been taken over, I'm just pointing out the logical conclusion of a bunch of aggrieved younger white men entering the space.

CazTGG

Well I, for one, look forward to purchasing this game.

When it hits the Humble Bundle.

With all money going towards charity.

Because that's what commulists do.

Five points if you get the reference that everyone else thinks is a misspelling.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I frankly agree with your post here and with Stumpokapow's post you quoted. I also agree that voting with your wallet in this instance is admirable. I am not in any way advocating for the bullshit "Well, you have an iPhone therefore you can't take a stance on anything" argument. I do see how my posts came off this way and I apologize if I added to a narrative I detest.

My frustration is as follows: I wish that I saw the same enthusiasm for boycott when I pop into threads about, say, any Hollywood figure who signed that Polanski petition. Just as an example. I'm glad people feel strong enough to put their foot down here - my frustration comes from not seeing it elsewhere, and my anger was aimed at that double standard. Which was then directed at you through the Dragon Quest example. I do understand that that does not make you a hypocrite, and I apologize for singling you out and coming across as a "whataboutist." Nothing could be further from the truth - I am happy to see it here, I just hope to see it elsewhere.

It's all good. And I understand your frustration, too. But I do think that the fact that threads like this even exist nowadays is a sign of improvement. More and more people are starting to recognize that there is an issue in employing and affiliating oneself with hateful individuals, and that protesting against that is a valid stance to take. Even if nothing comes out of this particular mess, the fact that people are discussing it will probably make other developers more conscious of these issues.

As Stump said, all we can do is try to steadily improve ourselves, taking a stand whenever we feel apt to - not only when it comes to game, but also to film, electronics, and all other forms of consumption.

You're right, it doesn't make someone a hypocrite. It makes them an unprincipled, pearl clutching douche.

That's some convenient quoting you did there, huh.

Yeah, it is but I think any reasonable person could see why it might be a worthwhile option at this point.

Keeping a racist fuckbag in your game and not giving your audience a reason why is a pretty sucky thing to do as well.

No, I would say that the other option would be not playing the game at all, which is far more respectable.

Durante

To be fair, you're probably more screwed if you go against gamergate. It's not just review bombing and talking in the forums at that point. The possibility of death threats and harassment are far more likely.
Yeah, I certainly don't blame the developers in this case.

nkarafo

There are many people involved in the development of a game. I dont know why this person has that much power to make you ignore everyone elses hard work.

You're right, it doesn't make someone a hypocrite. It makes them an unprincipled, pearl clutching douche.
You read all of Stump's post and still came to that conclusion?

Did you have any other thoughts about Stump's post? Like, do you think Stump is an unprincipled, pearl clutching douche because of the things he said he does while knowing they're not good things?

NateDrake

These are two choices from two separate entities

And yes, that IS what they should have done

I will never advocate for piracy however

I'm in no way saying people should pirate the game. The devs should have removed him from the game and avoided all this. I won't be playing the game because of the inclusion of JT.

jrcbandit

Definitely passing on this game now. I had mild interest in it, didn't realize Jontron was in it, now my interest is 0. F anyone who believes in eugenics.

ramparter

Banned
Im sure amongs the thousands people involved in the dozens of games Ive played and enjoyed, are many bigger assholes Jon Tron.

Pirating the game because of this rather than not playing it sure shows you have strong morals... What a crock of shit.

Also, the OT better not be any of the crappy suggestions I've seen in this thread lol. Damn.

They should remove JonTron from the game, but I'm not sure that literally every single thread and bit of discussion surrounding the game (including the OT title) needs to devolve into shitting on the devs and the game itself because it involved a then-beloved YouTube personality in a cameo role. I'm fine with the discussion taking place in dedicated threads like this one, but it's been pretty frustrating to try and discuss this game in general.

BBboy20

1. JonTron is half-Iranian, half-Hungarian.
...huh.

its just a voice. One that you can even turn off. Him having a VO for one character does not mean the devs agree w/ his bullshit. It is a shame that this is going to be the main talking point for what looks to be a nice return of the 3d platformer. or perhap even get the game banned here.

geez guys
Mik, I don't know what you're doing but dismissing people being triggered by white supremacist rhetoric and not liking those who support or represent those who spread such a destructive belief in any capacity is shitty.

The developer has had a lot of time to replace the VA. I'm not saying they're promoting racism, but the act of not taking some one's voice that's so clearly racist out of the game doesn't bode well with me. It shows to me that they either don't care or don't want acknowledge the issue. Both of which seem wrong to me.

Honestly, I've changed my mind about pirating the game and I'll just wait it out and see if Gears can remove him or release a statement. (I'll just make it clear that the people calling me shit weren't the people that changed my stance).

There's enough evidence to suggest that Gears for Breakfast aren't doing this due to any sort of agreement with Jontron. They're merely being incompetent by not telling their audience why they've kept him in. If they released a statement saying they won't get rid of him (or maybe add in an in-game option to remove him) is because they don't want the alt-right cesspool to send death threats then not only would people like myself understand them for going the route they did, but it'd also call attention to the alt-right's toxic methods and would decrease threats and harassment they get (hopefully).

whipihguh

Banned
The developer has had a lot of time to replace the VA. I'm not saying they're promoting racism, but the act of not taking some one's voice that's so clearly racist out of the game doesn't bode well with me. It shows to me that they either don't care or don't want acknowledge the issue. Both of which seem wrong to me.

This is where I'm at. It'd be one thing if the voice work had been done very recently, with little to no time for a replacement, but the JonTron controversy happened months ago, and JonTron was chosen for voicework even before that. They had ample time to remove his voice work, and instead stayed quiet and kept it in. Their lack of a statement or response then, and now, says plenty.

Pirating the game because of this rather than not playing it sure shows you have strong morals... What a crock of shit

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this blatant hypocrisy.

As I stated above, if you want to not buy the game because of this, fine. I personally think it's very petty, but fine, it's your call.

Your two options are to buy the game, or not have the game. You can't be championing justice while pirating a free copy of this.

But you aren't criticizing him. You're hurting a company that has no affiliation with him.

No, they are hurting themselves if people don't buy their product. No one is obligated to buy a product. The marketing of their product is their job,

Also, what about them hurting people because they're silent about racism?

JonTron has been a shithead for months, though. If they were to remove him, they could have done it already.

C7UzJPBU8AAWhSA.jpg

Got where this is from? Artist? Webcomic? Anything? I want to make sure the artist gets whats coming to him.

Since when does Huniepop have lolis in it?

I recall people saying the devs were implying that the age of one of the girls in the new game is either ambiguous or the character is lying about their age.

I haven't followed this outside of the announcement trailer last week, so I could be wrong.

kewlmyc

They already paid him for his work, so might as well use it. You can work with people but not agree with their shitty political views and think they're a shitty person.

Battlechili

Banned
I recall people saying the devs were implying that the age of one of the girls in the new game is either ambiguous or the character is lying about their age.

I haven't followed this outside of the announcement trailer last week, so I could be wrong.
First I've heard of this. Though, Waddle Dee seemed like he was talking about the first game.

Brazil

They already paid him for his work, so might as well use it. You can work with people but not agree with their shitty political views and think they're a shitty person.

You sure can. But you should probably be aware that you'd be giving that person a platform.

And it's not like he was brought in to do some programming work or something like that. He was brought in because he's a ~web personality~. They're literally cashing in on his image... which is that of a white supremacist.

So, yeah.

jviggy43

Why does this matter so much? Do you remember his role in Yooka Laylee that they removed? No I don't because it was an insanely minimal role.

Because its not cool to support a product that funds overt racists who have influence over a large platform of young people? Pretty self explanatory.

I'd rather have them work on making the game better then removing a character or replacing the character.

There are far more important things in life than whether or not a game you want to play is a good game. Not funding racists so as to give them a bigger platform is one of those things. Youre taking an incredibly privileged position to keep trying to act like its more important for the product to be well made than it is to further institutional thought regarding racial discrimination.

NateDrake

Would you buy a game that had Alex Jones or Richard Spencer providing voice work to it?

BBboy20

The end result of what JonTron believes probably resembles this:
0000005003_1_web.jpg

Seriously, folks: I don't think a lot of you are aware of the gravity of the situation the United States, let alone the world, is in right now.

True Fire

Supporting his work is an endorsement of his hateful views, whether they want it to be that way or not.

0000005003_1_web.jpg

Seriously, folks: I don't think a lot of you are aware of the gravity of the situation the United States, let alone the world, is in right now.

This, and your other previous images, offends me.

Brazil

Did it ever occur to anyone that the devs may have stayed silent on the controversy as a means of staying out of it?

But they're not, though. Unfortunately, there are many situations in life in which the easiest way out isn't the way to go.

This is one of those situations. By staying silent and keeping the dude in the game, they're being complicit.

Everyone can do their thing. If people choose to turn a blind eye towards the very racist and sexist Mel Gibson, and forgive his awfulness because he made a good war movie, more power to them. I know I'm just one man, and I choose to not like racists like Mel Gibson, Jontron and PewDiePie or support their "work."

I'm very much against the idea that some people are being looked down upon for sticking to their morals, and choosing to not support something they feel isn't right.

Even if he isn't the nicest person on earth his content is still fun.

I guess not being American and being capable of separating the person and their creation helps me to enjoy more stuff.

Also, they are probably going to lose less sales if they keep him compared to the sales they are going to lose removing him.

Granjinha

Fuck people with this piracy bullshit. Wasn't that bannable here?

Really easy to take the moral high ground without knowing context and circumstances and still thinking yourself like some kind of a moral bastion. Must be nice to live in that kind of fucked up reality.

I'm not claiming the indie scene have been taken over, I'm just pointing out the logical conclusion of a bunch of aggrieved younger white men entering the space.

It's not a logical conclusion because there absolutely zero evidence of that. RUINER is not made by a "bunch of aggrieved younger white men".

Reikon Games was made by a bunch of industry veterans, and i'm pretty sure one of the creative forces behind it is actually a woman (or at least, someone akin to a producer)

So yeah, i just don't feel comfortable with you dumping the entire scene (or the future of it) behind that mentality when what we are seeing is actually the opposite of it.

Better a thief than a mass murderer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man, you are completely and utterly full of shit.

0000005003_1_web.jpg

Come the fuck on. Some stupid tweets and interviews espousing a vile worldview is in no way equivalent to the actual holocaust. You're cheapening the horrific deaths of millions in one of the most heinous crimes of all time by conflating the two. Fucking hell.

Brazil

Come the fuck on. Some stupid tweets and interviews espousing a vile worldview is in no way equivalent to the actual holocaust. You're cheapening the horrific deaths of millions in one of the most heinous crimes of all time by conflating the two. Fucking hell.

I wouldn't bring up the Holocaust the way the poster you quoted did because there are different scales to things, but JonTron's rhetoric is literally what drove the Holocaust.

I kind of agree with you.

But Jon made it pretty clear he wanted an ethnostate. That is the logical conclusion of that process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom