• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hat in Time releases in 2 days, yet JonTron still seems to be in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jviggy43

I wouldn't bring up the Holocaust the way the poster you quoted did because there are different scales to things, but JonTron's rhetoric is literally what drove the Holocaust.

Yeah this. What other outcome do you expect from someone who thinks we need to purify and keep the gene pool clean?

Oynox

Because he is a racist ? And no matter how small his role is, it's a problem that he gets to be featured in a game ?

On the other hand people who do not know about this will obviously not care.

Tbh his voice acting really is not really good. Whatever. I would not depend my decision to buy a game on someones political views but I guess that is personal preference.

/edit

Oh it seems I am quite late to the party already. This thread is dead already.

BBboy20

Come the fuck on. Some stupid tweets and interviews espousing a vile worldview is in no way equivalent to the actual holocaust. You're cheapening the horrific deaths of millions in one of the most heinous crimes of all time by conflating the two. Fucking hell.
AND DO YOU KNOW WHO IS IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND HOW HE GOT INTO THE WHITE HOUSE!?

Underestimating white supremacy, no matter how great or small the provocateur is, will lead to this again. We have history to teach us this time. White supremacy is a god damn killer that needs to be fought wherever it's at or we are doomed.

AND DO YOU KNOW WHO IS IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND HOW HE GOT INTO THE WHITE HOUSE!?

Underestimating white supremacy, no matter how great or small the provocateur is, will lead to this again. We have history to teach us this time. White supremacy is a god damn killer that needs to be fought wherever it's at or we are doomed.
This is overdramatic tripe. This kind of overreaction and melodrama serves no one.
I'm happy if people want to boycott the game because of JonTrons involvement, but acting like this is some grand gesture to fight rampant white supremacy and concentration camps is patently absurd.

Even if he isn't the nicest person on earth his content is still fun.

I guess not being American and being capable of separating the person and their creation helps me to enjoy more stuff.

Also, they are probably going to lose less sales if they keep him compared to the sales they are going to lose removing him.

So, you can watch a show and have fun with it despite the star of said show believing that "non-whites corrupt the gene pool"? You okay with that?

I didn't know "not being American" meant racism isn't a concern.

Well, if you are a developer in that position it seems like you'd be screwed either way. Not a situation I envy.
(That said, if you're screwed anyway, why not drop the douchebag?)
That was kind of my thinking. I guess if the worst reaction you get to not reacting is this kind of thread, it’s somehow more manageable than having crazy channers and toxic YouTube fan going after you.

Obviously, they don’t have a time machine, but another takeaway is that these YT personalities tend to be liabilities.

Drayco21

Game looks alright, but Jontron being in it ensures I'm not buying it. Speaks a lot about the people making decisions about this game that he's still in it.

I think the funniest think about JonTron's racism is that the real world neonazi's would hate him because of the way he looks and his name.

L Thammy

Man, it tires me out seeing avatars of people that I recognize solely because they keep coming into threads to talk about how they don't care that this person is racist or whatever.

Mik317

Supporting his work is an endorsement of his hateful views, whether they want it to be that way or not.

fuckin how? This is what I don't get here

again most people don't even know he's in the game; most people probably don't even know who he is actually, and some don't even know what he said.

so how exactly is having a throwaway voice in a game promoting his brand?

They can remove him if they want or whatever but I think some have crazy imaginations of the actual effect either way. Leaving it in does not mean the devs agree with him. Leaving it in does not mean Jon wins and gets even bigger. Its not that serious and yet it is dominating the conversation around the game as if it is. We have motherfuckers comparing what some jackoff said on twitter to the actual fucking holocaust. what the hell guys.You guys give these losers waaaaay too much power.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Guys take a step back, breath, relax. Don't be so anxious, its just an indie game.

Theres dozens of great games out there, we should play and support those instead of wasting our time and energy over something we otherwise have no interest in.

Jontron isnt the CEO who will get millions out of this game if you buy it. For the record, fuck him but lets all just relax for a minute.

So, you can watch a show and have fun with it despite the star of said show believing that "non-whites corrupt the gene pool"? You okay with that?

Being a non-white myself, I would still watch the show if it brings me joy or is fun.

That person might have a shitty opinion and shitty views but if the show itself doesn't reflect his views, this opinion just ends like an opinion.

BiggNife

Got where this is from? Artist? Webcomic? Anything? I want to make sure the artist gets whats coming to him.

It means I want to look at his work and support him. Also, if I share this comic I would like to make sure I give the artist the credit.

This first quote and this second quote are completely incompatible. No one says "I want to make sure [person] gets what's coming to him" in a positive light.

Guess I'm wrong for thinking that someone making videos on YouTube isn't the same thing as a politician.

I apologize to everyone in this thread. I understand now. JonTron is Adolf Hitler. JonTron is Pol Pot. JonTron is Mao Zedong. JonTron is Robert Mugabe. JonTron is Donald Trump. JonTron is all of these things.

Granjinha

The lead dev has taken a public stance against Trump but he surely must agree with JonTron

A Hat in Time |OT| Super Mario Controversy

I actually like this one

This first quote and this second quote are completely incompatible. No one says "I want to make sure [person] gets what's coming to him" in a positive light, and you fucking know it, and I can't tell if this second post is supposed to be a backtrack or a smug wink. Probably the latter.

In short, fuck off.

Ever thought english might not be his first language?

Guess I'm wrong for thinking that someone making videos on YouTube isn't the same thing as a politician.

I apologize to everyone in this thread. I understand now. JonTron is Adolf Hitler. JonTron is Pol Pot. JonTron is Mao Zedong. JonTron is Robert Mugabe. JonTron is Donald Trump. JonTron is all of these things.
No one said that. Read the post again.

This first quote and this second quote are completely incompatible. No one says "I want to make sure [person] gets what's coming to him" in a positive light, and you fucking know it, and I can't tell if this second post is supposed to be a backtrack or a smug wink. Probably the latter.

In short, fuck off.
What is this shit? The user may have meant what was said at face value, or doesn't speak English as their first language, or simply didn't know the negative connotation of the common usage of the phrase. What is with the antagonistic witch hunt nonsense?

BBboy20

you guys give these losers waaaaay too much power.
.......because what these losers believe in is, in fact, that powerful? Because what they believe in has been the status quo in much of the western hemisphere (alone) in the last 600 years?

Shadio

It means I want to look at his work and support him. Also, if I share this comic I would like to make sure I give the artist the credit.

"To get what's coming to you" is almost exclusively used in a negative sense. If you hadn't clarified, it kind of sounded like you wanted to destroy them.

Inaction, is an action. Not speaking out against someone that was in their game that supports white supremacy is not a great "inaction" to take.

Not bringing it up is probably in their best interests.

Not many people even know who Jon Tron is. Even less of those people know of his beliefs or the fact that he's a voice actor for the game. I certainly didn't know about any of it until I saw this thread.

If they were to come out and take a stance or even make a comment, it'll just draw attention to all these things. I doubt these developers want to plant themselves and their game in the middle of an issue like this when their focus is probably just on getting the game out.

If they choose a side they will piss off a lot of people, including those who would never have known about this. I've already seen a few people in this thread who on top of simply not buying the game, claim they'll take pleasure in seeing this game fail, and the developers haven't even directly gotten involved yet. It makes sense that they'd want to keep their heads down and treat carefully. The slightest thing can destroy a game these days, as we've seen with all the recent review bombings.

Mael

Look up what Hitler wanted and the escalation of his rhetoric, it's all out there.
What JonTron advocates for is literally this except for the German nationalism and general context of the 30's.
If you think that the Final Solution had nothing to do with creating an ethnostate on top of wanting to expand the Reich I'm wondering how you can breath with that much sand around your nostrils.

BiggNife

What is this shit? The user may have meant what was said at face value, or doesn't speak English as their first language, or simply didn't know the negative connotation of the common usage of the phrase. What is with the antagonistic witch hunt nonsense?

I guess I've been on the internet so long that it's hard to assume people are being genuine these days. I've seen so much antagonistic bullshit from 4chan and twitter trolls lately (and also a lot of "I'm just asking questions!!!!" bullshit) that it's hard for me to believe someone is genuinely that naiive. I've edited my post.

Hat in Time was already a maybe for me, them keeping Jon is makes it an easy wait for sale/skip. No shame if anyone buys the game day 1 that's just my personal opinion.

They already paid him for his work, so might as well use it. You can work with people but not agree with their shitty political views and think they're a shitty person.

Fine, but you're now allowed to be upset if you maintain connections to racist people that I might mistake you for a racist by proxy. The hat in time people are in no way distancing themselves from this, they aren't making any excuses they are just ignoring the situation and hope it blows over, which is pretty much saying they are okay with him and his beliefs.

Go read the Playtonic statement after JT said the things he said and see how a classy company handles white supremecists.

RRockman

Banned

No, Jontron is a youtuber with a lot of kids as fans. This is the real problem here. With kids looking up to him, they would naturally want tp emulate him. Look at how many of his fans ran to his defense initially. Its a very similar situation to Pewdiepie actually. Here he is getting further exposure to kids, by voicing someone in a kids game. This is frankly unacceptable in my honest opinion.

They already paid him for his work, so might as well use it. You can work with people but not agree with their shitty political views and think they're a shitty person.

I'm really getting sick and tired of seeing how racism like white supremacy, for example, is having shitty political view. It isn't a political view at all.

This first quote and this second quote are completely incompatible. No one says "I want to make sure [person] gets what's coming to him" in a positive light.

It's a joke from the Simpsons.

423465.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Don't forget JonTron was on Sargon of Akkad's show on YouTube one time and he and JonTron showed they're for the AfD (Alternative für Deutschland). An alternative party much like the alt-right that just don't use the word Nazi though they are.

EDIT: Lemme get that post from silentRob in the old JonTron community thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229297101&postcount=1793

A few tweets about this:

Tom Bloke
now they're discussing AfD in Germany. JonTron is unclear on who they are but they're all cheering for them

"Carl of Akkad, JonTron and some dude talking Le Pen, Wilders and AfD. "Germany uncucked we're good guys" -JonTron on an AfD win", with video

As a german who just had to listen to a speech by one of their spokepersons that could have been confused by a Hitler speech sometime between 1930 and 1933 this is beyond maddening. The speaker, Björn Höcke, was barred from entering a concentration camp where a memorial was held to remember the Holocaust victims by part of the german government. And on the same fucking day this asshole dares to hope for them to win an election?

Fuck Jontron. Hearing about him being a fucking Alt-Right/White Supremacy sympathiser after all the years I've been following and supporting him makes me so fucking angry.

Also:

now JonTron is talking about how worried he was that Trump would lose and how happy he is with Trump's actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom