• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hat in Time releases in 2 days, yet JonTron still seems to be in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

I'm really getting sick and tired of seeing how racism like white supremacy, for example, is having shitty political view. It isn't a political view at all.

In social studies, a political ideology is a certain set of ethical ideals, principles, doctrines, myths or symbols of a social movement, institution, class or large group that explains how society should work, and offers some political and cultural blueprint for a certain social order.

It kinda is. It sucks, but it is.

While this facet alone isn't enough to dissuade me from the game, I can't help but be extremely disappointed in the developers for not doing the right thing.

Hopefully this is a lesson for the developers to only associate with people who they actually know are good people. This whole situation would not have occurred had that not included JonTron in the game in the first place.

L Thammy

Regardless of whether it's their responsibility or not, if they don't want to be associated with JonTron, they should denounce him. Like, if someone at my workplace turned out to be a Neo-Nazi, whenever he comes up in an anecdote or something I'm going make sure that people know that I had no idea. I really wouldn't want people to associating me with them, so the very least I couldn't do is make that clear.

Similarly, if Gears for Breakfast really has an interest in making people know that they aren't supporting white supremacy, the least they can do is say that they don't. It's in their interest and it doesn't take whole lot of effort.

Mael

I disagree, and I don't think there's any onus on them. You're not guilty by association because you worked with someone that everyone thought was fine at the time, and then choose not to engage with the issue when it comes up later. If this came up 2 years after the game had already come out, my thought wouldn't be, "Hey, they released a game 2 years ago with JonTron in it, they probably support what he says because they haven't denounced it." I feel the same way now even if the game hasn't released yet.

As far as I'm concerned, JonTron has obviously outed himself as a racist, and the status of the Hat in Time devs is that they unknowingly worked with a racist. That's it. There's no shitty until proven innocent. It's just unknown what they think*, same as it would've been if none of this had happened in the first place.

We know that they're perfectly ok with Jontron being used for the marketing of their project because and after Jontron put on a brown shirt.
They are currently in a business relationship with someone that is unapologetically a neonazi.
They've been asked before about it and they choose to maintain radio silence.
They either don't care or are perfectly ok with it, this is what we know from their marketing.
Behind closed door they may be find Jontron appalling but they haven't even said that so we absolutely can't tell if they view that's guy's view in a bad light at all so it's unfair to take that position for them.

*Although they apparently posted anti-Trump stuff on their Twitter according to some other poster.

They won't get a pass because they might have "wanted to vote for Obama a third time if [they] could".

Granjinha

They did not do that.

I'm talking with Vines. And he/she most certainly did.

AAA is nothing but lootboxes and the next generation of indies are 4chan edgelords. If I didn't have a serious backlog I'd be mulling dropping games entirely right now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=250759079#post250759079

Kinda stupid to group all upcoming indies with that, isn't it? Especially since not even the guys at Gears for Breakfeast are. (well, apparently, since the lead dev openly condemns Trump)

kewlmyc

Would you buy a game that had Alex Jones or Richard Spencer providing voice work to it?

Depends how good the game is. If the devs sought them out after knowing they're huge pieces of shit and were huge fans of that person's beliefs, then no. Otherwise it would depend on how the game is. Don't think this situation compares to either since both are well known pieces of shit, and it's only recently (less than 6 months) that we knew Jontron was a bigot piece of shit.

An example of this is seeing Batman vs Superman despite the movie hiring Nancy Grace to be in it.

Granjinha

...Why do you have to be comfortable with how Vines feels about their hobby?

...? I'm just pointing out that there isn't a new wave of edgelords, alt right devs. It's wrong information. People can read that and think it's true. It isn't.

Your interpretation must be terrible if you thought 'i'm not comfortable with you grouping out all upcoming indies to be alt-right, neonazis, etc) was 'i'm not comfortable with how you feel about your hobby'.

Fisty

Regardless of whether it's their responsibility or not, if they don't want to be associated with JonTron, they should denounce him. Like, if someone at my workplace turned out to be a Neo-Nazi, whenever he comes up in an anecdote or something I'm going make sure that people know that I had no idea. I really wouldn't want people to associating me with them, so the very least I couldn't do is make that clear.

Similarly, if Gears for Breakfast really has an interest in making people know that they aren't supporting white supremacy, the least they can do is say that they don't. It's in their interest and it doesn't take whole lot of effort.

Yep. They've had months to remove the audio files for the character and just make that character text-only, at the very least. But yeah game development is so hard so at the very least we can expect a tweet or Facebook post saying "The views of Jon Jafari etc etc" but apparently even saying you don't think ethnic cleansing is cool is too much to ask for

PSlayer

I don't think they will OP. Maybe they can remove with a patch but even then it is not likely. The jontron thing is old and (most) people moved on.

Anyway i'm gonna get it! Not gonna stop myself from playing the game because of some e-celeb drama.

Depends how good the game is. If the devs sought them out after knowing they're huge pieces of shit and were huge fans of that person's beliefs, then no. Otherwise it would depend on how the game is. Don't think this situation compares to either since both are well known pieces of shit, and it's only recently (less than 6 months) that we knew Jontron was a bigot piece of shit.

An example of this is seeing Batman vs Superman despite the movie hiring Nancy Grace to be in it.

Another example I can think of is James Woods, but at least that guy has talent and is the de facto voice of Hades.

JonTron is replaceable. Even if he wasn't, the developers could've at least separated themselves from him instead of remaining silent on the matter.

Samus

Banned
I think everyone is extremely harsh towards Jon on this, he's a quality comedian who has a view and opinion different than your own, and suddenly everyone hates the man they all loved and went to for good quality content.

His views are not even extreme everyone needs to stop being such delicate little flowers and enjoy the damn game.

BlackJace

I think everyone is extremely harsh towards Jon on this, he's a quality comedian who has a view and opinion different than your own, and suddenly everyone hates the man they all loved and went to for good quality content.

His views are not even extreme everyone needs to stop being such delicate little flowers and enjoy the damn game.

Low quality bait

Magwik

Banned

Post from your real account next time

FinalAres

Hoo boy.

Giever

We know that they're perfectly ok with Jontron being used for the marketing of their project because and after Jontron put on a brown shirt.
They are currently in a business relationship with someone that is unapologetically a neonazi.
They've been asked before about it and they choose to maintain radio silence.
They either don't care or are perfectly ok with it, this is what we know from their marketing.
Behind closed door they may be find Jontron appalling but they haven't even said that so we absolutely can't tell if they view that's guy's view in a bad light at all so it's unfair to take that position for them.

I get it, and I won't go on about it again, really. Ultimately I just don't think it's fair for explicit denouncement to be required to avoid implicit approval in this particular case. I would appreciate it of course, and I don't begrudge anyone else for wanting it, or for avoiding the game because of a lack of it.

But, I think of all of that as more of a side-eye sort of thing, whereas saying something like "they are tacitly endorsing JonTron's views," I just don't agree with that.

His views are that non-whites are diluting the gene pool, so this has to be sarcasm.

"We've gotten rid of discrimination in our western countries"

What a waste of a good username.

Total Posts: 9

Why is this username wasted on a stupid alt? Metroid fans, you be slippin'

Mael

Bans for junior are permanent.
I would suggest going this way if you intend on staying longer than 4-5 months.

I get it, and I won't go on about it again, really. Ultimately I just don't think it's fair for explicit denouncement to be required to avoid implicit approval in this particular case. I would appreciate it of course, and I don't begrudge anyone else for wanting it, or for avoiding the game because of a lack of it.

But, I think of all of that as more of a side-eye sort of thing, whereas saying something like "they are tacitly endorsing JonTron's views," I just don't agree with that.

It's so easy and painless to make a statement that even says nothing like Nintendo and its BS "we don't do politics" that saying nothing at all in the face of what is basically the face of their project they slaved away for years on is tacitely endorsing it.
Trump went "both sides" on us instead of outright shitting on the neonazis, it says everything we need to know about him endorsing these people.

Anyone actually defending Jon is so blatantly in the wrong. Even the users on KIA and Kiwi Farms accept that he went neo-nazi. You're literally worse than those people.

I also don't understand why people get off on trolling with an alt account.

e9d.jpg

People only need one simple reason to make the conscious decision to not buy a game. It looks too easy or too derivative or it costs too much may spark differing opinions but not often does it result in the punishing the devs narrative. Let the company's questionable stance in regard to a white supremacist be a valid reason for a person to say I don't want this as it would for any other reason.

Parfait

One publicly bad dude that probably had a contract that can't be voided ain't gonna stop me from playing a good game that's made by plenty of dudes who could be anonymously bad or good.

He's pretty much an asshole but he's just a voice actor as far as I know. He didn't write his own lines, right? His voice is pretty harmless. It's their choice to remove it or keep it, I don't see the big deal, I doubt you are actually contributing to him in any way.

If he gets a part in a sequel it's worth complaining about but this was recorded(afaik, again) way before people knew jontrons beliefs at all

He's pretty much an asshole but he's just a voice actor as far as I know. He didn't write his own lines, right? His voice is pretty harmless. It's their choice to remove it or keep it, I don't see the big deal, I doubt you are actually contributing to him in any way.

If he gets a part in a sequel it's worth complaining about but this was recorded(afaik, again) way before people knew jontrons beliefs at all
Jontron's white supremacy came out in March 2017. That's 6 months time in which if Gears For Breakfast cared about removing such a person's voice from their game, they could.

NateDrake

They had months to remove him and record the lines with a new voice actor. The developers intentionally remained silent on the issue and kept ignoring inquiries about his role.

WadeitOut

Every time one of these threads pop up there are always a few oddballs on GAF that inexplicably try to defend the person being stupidly racist/sexist/whatever.

There is no excuse. There is never a good reason to have these beliefs. They are bad.

zashga

This game has been in development a really long time; it's a shame they tripped over an idiot like Jontron just as they crossed the finish line. Hard to say if they have contractual obligations to fulfill or are just hoping for this whole mess to blow over. Either way, I won't support a game that I know features a white supremacist.

The fact that we have moved on so quickly from Jon’s *insane* and blatant white nationalism rants to ‘is this really that important?’ is fucking wild

Yes it’s really that important. What Jon said and how and why he said it is some of the most ignorantly and blatantly hateful stuff I’ve ever heard. It was *bad* and he doesn’t deserve to get work with A N Y O N E

Giever

It's so easy and painless to make a statement that even says nothing like Nintendo and its BS "we don't do politics" that saying nothing at all in the face of what is basically the face of their project they slaved away for years on is tacitely endorsing it.
Trump went "both sides" on us instead of outright shitting on the neonazis, it says everything we need to know about him endorsing these people.

It'll just be a back and forth at this point so I'll bow out of it since I still disagree with the bolded. But yeah, I do wish they would make a statement.

I just Haedox's Hat in Time video and a line from it really bugged me. When discussing how Jontron is still in Hat and Time and not Yooka-Laylee, he states it's almost as if it would be a really bad business decision to remove a popular Youtuber so close to launch.

Can't say agree with that. Playtonic did the right thing removing Jontron and they caught hell for it, mixed reviews aside.

Haedox is an idiot and has no meaningful insight to offer on anything of substance. He's only slightly better than Josh Thomas

Pizza

"Jon doesn't even have a big role"

So why keep it? He's a celebrity voice... that's a proud racist? Why keep that in? Especially if it's something any member of the dev team could record and pitch up or down in audacity... like... why not? Just silently cut him out?

If jontron like... typed up some code that had no visual impact on the game like the (fired) Google employee I'd get it but like he didn't? He interacts with you in a blatant audiovisual way so idk why he's needed?

The battle is clearly lost when we have people here being apologetic for someone who said minorities dilute the gene pool, unable to see why his input on a game, even if small, contributes to the normalization of toxic gaming culture. And devs backing that shit up...

If his views of black people inherently being more violent than white people due to culture they brought over from africa and discrimination not existing aren't extreme then this country is fucked

So why keep it? He's a celebrity voice... that's a proud racist? Why keep that in? Especially if it's something any member of the dev team could record and pitch up or down in audacity... like... why not? Just silently cut him out?

If jontron like... typed up some code that had no visual impact on the game like the (fired) Google employee I'd get it but like he didn't? He interacts with you in a blatant audiovisual way so idk why he's needed?

Only industry where this would happen. Keep him in for 6 months of development. Too afraid to even release a ststmenent about the guy who wants a white ethnostate in their game. Just to appease the racist gamer audience.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The battle is clearly lost when we have people here being apologetic for someone who said minorities dilute the gene pool, unable to see why his input on a game, even if small, contributes to the normalization of toxic gaming culture. And devs backing that shit up...

It's not, though. Fighting those who would rationalize and normalize tripe like JonTron is part of the battle - perhaps even most of it. History proves that any kind of opposition against what's wrong with humanity need also face spineless people who'd die in the name of the status quo.

Don't lose hope.

Samus

Banned
Okay I was genuine and not trying to upset anyone,
I'm actually a big fan of Jon's and I was voicing my opinion.

Sponge

Banned
Okay I was genuine and not trying to upset anyone,
I'm actually a big fan of Jon's and I was voicing my opinion.

Sorry man. If blasting him for his racist views is being too hard on him then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah this is what I don't get, they could've silently cut him out. I won't blame the devs for not making a statement because of the risks of his shitheads going after them with death threats and doxxing, but couldn't they have just silently remove him? Would anyone notice?

Was it a backer incentive or something?

Mik317

People only need one simple reason to make the conscious decision to not buy a game. It looks too easy or too derivative or it costs too much may spark differing opinions but not often does it result in the punishing the devs narrative. Let the company's questionable stance in regard to a white supremacist be a valid reason for a person to say I don't want this as it would for any other reason.

you are right.

touche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom