• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatred - Reveal & Gameplay Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

I wonder how death works in this.

Maybe it's a "How far can you go?" game. Rather than risk a large police response, would the smart tactical choice be to target the police station first? Or maybe that would escalate towards special forces being called on quicker.

Mass Murder Simulator 2015

FeiRR

Banned
Because Hitler sort of invaded Poland, stole its resources, killed a ton of its people and was proud of it?
Certain southern regions of Poland (generally called Silesia) belonged to Germanic countries for centuries. There are a lot of people with ties to Germany here, a lot speak German and so on. It's not uncommon to see a collective grave of Wehrmacht soldiers who fought in WWII. Still, extreme right-wing people seem to be everywhere. If you watch some Polish news on 11.11 (our Independence Day), you'll probably see them rioting in our capital. They do it every year.

Curious: has there ever been a mass shooting a la Columbine or Virginia Tech in Poland?

The chances of a lunatic getting a gun here aren't very high. Definitely not an automatic gun. You also need to know how to use it and it's not common knowledge.

Ok this is pretty weird.

This is their CEO.

zBaeJP4.jpg

Well, it seems me and this guy have 4 common friends on Facebook. I'll try to ask them what they think of him.

Prob cause the CEO of the company is part of a hate group

To be fair, he liked that profile, subscribed to their news feed. Maybe that's all, maybe not. I wouldn't do that myself but let's not go too far. Were you to judge me by my FB likes, it wouldn't make much sense either.

There are few games that do this for a reason, though; it's an ineffective mode of transmitting those feelings. To do that you'd need a heavy narrative focus (whether you want to admit that or not) and the acuity to KNOW the answer, or at least your interpretation of the answer. Then you need the actual emotional maturity to simulate those ideas.
This game doesn't seem to do that, and that seems to be by developer's intent. It has one goal in mind; kill everyone. Jam your gun in that woman's face and pull the trigger, because you had a bad day at work. Listening to her beg is how you get your jollies off, right?

And at the end of the day, from a purely game-ist viewpoint, THAT'S why it's going to be a piece of shit. Killing random civilians might be fun to some people (not me) in GTA, but that's more because of the arcadey feel of the game; you have a fucking rocket launcher and you're doing crazy shit, and in 5 minutes the National Guard will come out. It's so stupid and ridiculous that people can have fun with it, even if I think those people are way too easily entertained. SR 2-4 have the same feel; Postal had the same feel, even Postal 1, which was 'darker.' If this game is attempting to avoid those tropes, and instead becomes 'shoot people because you had a bad day in a gritty, realistic world,' it's effectively shooting fish in a barrel. They can't fight back; they're powerless civilians. The worst you'll probably face is a SWAT team, and even that will probably be after you kill a pretty obnoxious number of people.
If you can have fun shooting fish in a barrel, by all means. Have at it. I can't.
I can agree with that, and if they want the subject matter of a spree killer done properly rather than just some generic isometric action game, they could take inspiration from The Dirties (really great movie about school shooting) and have it be a psychological adventure game with an explosive action finale. I suggested a similar idea for a serial killer game. That said, Hotline Miami and Spec Ops The Line do it successfully imo with you enjoying the action game violence while also making you feel a bit guilty. No idea if this game could do it, cause right now it seems mindless with not much commentary.

Tapejara

Watched the trailer...Jesus that was disgusting. I mean, devs go ahead and make whatever you want, but that was really unsettling.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
No, the problem is that I have BETTER ways of gaining that perspective, and that's only partially because this game seems completely uninterested in providing a perspective. This game isn't just 'not doing it for me,' it doesn't even seem to be interested in providing 'it.'

Indeed. And i can respect that

I don't see striferser having a problem with you "having better ways of gaining that perspective", although it seems like you have a beef with him/her saying that it may give him/her some perspective?

He/she already pretty much admits that each person perceive it differently anyways.
Thanks for clearing thing up ;D
I'm a he btw.

Tomeru

Can't escape politics, no matter what you do. This project was doomed the moment it got online. It certainly has no place on my hdd, nor anything I could learn from it.

All politics aside, I want to play that. I'm a fan of top down shooters, and this one at least has something unique about it.
Is murdering innocents unique in an isometric (not top down btw which would be GTA 1 and 2) perspective? You can murder innocents in any open world game, but not sure on isometric. Syndicate?

Art style isn't unique by now.

SmokyDave

Is murdering innocents unique in an isometric (not top down btw which would be GTA 1 and 2) perspective? You can murder innocents in any open world game, but not sure on isometric. Syndicate?

Yeah, I suppose 'it looks unlike anything I've played lately' might've been more fitting.

Update on the UE4 logo business.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/16/6989459/hatred-epic-games-unreal-engine

Update: Destructive Creations creative director Jarosław Zieliński offered the following statement on Epic's request to Polygon.

"Epic Games has all the legal rights to issue such a request," Zieliński said. "They've contacted me in a friendly manner and asked for the logo removal. Following their request I've removed it from the YouTube version and will remove it from the press version of our trailer ASAP so everyone is happy. It was actually my oversight. I worked on titles and trailers in the past with the Unreal engine license, that is different from the current EULA. Putting Unreal logo at the beginning of our trailer was an obvious choice for me, as the engine is an amazing tool and in fact I considered it mandatory. So I guess I was simply wrong thinking it's a must."

Shaanyboi

Banned
Nope nope nope. Noooo thank you.

If they wanted to make a They Live game, then sure. But no, this is straight up "Hey, kill civilians ad nauseum." NOPE.

I see how this can upset people, but it's so over the top and childish in presentation that I find it difficult to take seriously in any way.

On top of that, there was nothing in the trailer that hasn't been done in a game so far. The only offensive thing about it is the extremely simple portrayal of people who have actually done what the antagonist is doing. Not really any worse than romanticizing the actions of a soldier by making him some awful James Bond rip off. Video games trivialize violence. It's what the medium is known for.

The irony is that you can apparently put out any kind of trash and gain attention for it based on the very reason people think it shouldn't exist. The gameplay honestly looks kind of nice, destruction is well done. If it's anything like a slower hotline miami, i'll probably play it. I doubt anyone would have noticed this thing existed at all if they didn't fill up the first half of the trailer with some ramblings you'd expect to find on a satirical livejournal.

This is from the company that created a game where you explode when shot and can be sawed in half.

Alienous

Right, I've seen Unreal logos on tons of indie game videos. I didn't think it was a request based thing.

In any case, I think Unreal should distance themselves from policing the games made on their engine. Sort of like a knife manufacturer not having any blame for how one of their knives is used. It's a tool, and a variety of games, good or bad, artistic or abhorrent, can come from it. Explain that the Unreal Engine 4 logo is not an endorsement of the content of any product.

Saw the trailer when Klepek posted it yesterday. I find it pretty tasteless and the whole shock value just for being able to thing is kind of crass, but people are free to make whatever they want.

The thing I actually dislike the most about it is the surrounding style and character design. Trenchcoat, long black hair, metal soundtrack. Looks and sounds like something an edgy 13 year old would doodle in his school notebook after being laughed at by the popular girls.

Right, I've seen Unreal logos on tons of indie game videos. I didn't think it was a request based thing.

In any case, I think Unreal should distance themselves from policing the games made on their engine. Sort of like a knife manufacturer not having any blame for how one of their knives is used. It's a tool, and a variety of games, good or bad, artistic or abhorrent, can come from it. Explain that the Unreal Engine 4 logo is not an endorsement of the content of any product.

It is possible that there are plenty of devs that don't submit a request, but it is in fact required to do so.

The original Postal from 1997, developed for PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwxoNEVdUEc&feature=player_detailpage#t=45

The game was a straight up isometric murder simulator staring a disgruntled US postal worker named "Postal Dude". The game had no real plot and the goal was to "go postal" and just kill everyone that got into your sights. The sequel Postal 2 is generally a much better known game though. Hatred looks like a complete tribute to this game. Even the main character looks kind of similar, minus the Postal facade and red hair.

I'm not really shocked that this game exists, or that somebody would make it, it's the video game equivalent of a snuff film and something that other developers have done before. But personally, I don't think I can support this one. Especially not from a developer that is part of a hate group.

Here's a question: If you have a problem with this game do you have a problem GTA V too? How about Hotline miami? In GTA V you straight up torture a dude and in Hotline miami you kill a bunch of cops in the most brutal manner.

Good question. Some of the Trevor stuff in GTAV was a bit much for me; I didn't really enjoy playing as an unrepentant sociopath, and at least Michael and Franklin had desires to remove themselves from the criminal lifestyle. I found Trevor's introduction where he
bottles and stamps Johnny Klebitz' head to mush pretty insane
. Hotline Miami was very dark and excessively violent, but the simple art style just about saved it for me. I mean, some of the stuff in that game is extremely grotesque, but then there's also the angle of what is real and what is not, as the game toys with perception of reality a great deal.

This, though, this just looks like a game where you commit murder simply because the protagonist hates people. I can't see anything redeeming in that. However, it's obviously worked in getting the game talked about so far, and some people obviously love hyper-violent content so it will definitely find an audience just due to the subject matter.

Lime

This reminds me of this guy in high School who listened religionsly to Slipknot and wrote "People Equal Shit" everywhere while being for himself and telling others to kill themselves. He then became a soldier and went to Afghanistan to "help" Brown people.

Also, this game is made by an islamophobic fascist with an uncomfortable amount of victims of color in this trailer.

Fitting release for the whole Gamergate thing I guess.

Lime

I cant wait to hear Totalbiscuit discuss how well-rendered the decapitations and executions are!

I also hope no game review will mention the politics in this game. They're irrelevant and they should be kept out of my video games. I want objective reviews damnit!

ConayR

I'm Polish and I have a pretty good understanding of local politics, so just to clarify the neo nazi angle.

Yes, dude probably hates a lot of minorities (that's tl;dr; for you). Żołnierze Wyklęci were anti-communist underground paramilitary group and their symbolism was adopted by Polish far-right groups some time ago (so don't take on the face value what's on his t-shirt - there's a context behind it that Wikipedia won't give you). This t-shirt can be e.g. bought on "Red is bad" page which (no surprise here) is anti-communism e-store. CEO's FB page and his t-shirt clearly pigeonhole him as a radical right wing. There is a high probability that he doesn't like with a different mindset to his own (they are commies, obviously), minorities (be it ethnic or religious), is afraid of Muslims taking over Europe, Jews taking over the world, blacks having rights, gays making his kids gay, and so on. Or he may be less looney tunes than that - I don't know him, so I can only guess.

Having said that and being as far left myself as probably humanly possible - I think it doesn't matter at all unless this influences the game. Which we don't know if it does or does not. Game should be judged on its own merits, not through the lens of its creators. And rest assured, with AAA games having 200+ people working on them, there has to be a bunch of people with POV different than yours. Probably very much different, repulsive even. The only reason you don't toss, say, Epic Mickey aside despite the fact that a bunch of artists or developers behind it are hardcore anti-something dudes is because you don't know that. And you don't seem to care most of the time.

Not knowing people behind a game gives you this nice, comfy cushion of not thinking about the ideology of its creators. Same goes for excuses games give you for killing a truckload of enemies. These are simply cushions for you to not think about your actions. This game is very much in your face. Developers probably shouldn't be this proud of themselves but it's part of their business sense (or lack thereof) and will be validated in the long run by their ability to fund and create another game in the future.

It is somewhat troubling that CEO associates himself with fringe politics. But so does Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal and you grew up watching their movies. This didn't affect you but somehow this game will? Maybe, but I'd rather wait and see.

The original Postal from 1997, developed for PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwxoNEVdUEc&feature=player_detailpage#t=45

The game was a straight up isometric murder simulator staring a disgruntled US postal worker named "Postal Dude". The game had no real plot and the goal was to "go postal" and just kill everyone that got into your sights. The sequel Postal 2 is generally a much better known game though. Hatred looks like a complete tribute to this game. Even the main character looks kind of similar, minus the Postal facade and red hair.

I'm not really shocked that this game exists, or that somebody would make it, it's the video game equivalent of a snuff film and something that other developers have done before. But personally, I don't think I can support this one. Especially not from a developer that is part of a hate group.
Huh, did not know that. Thanks.

Alienous

I'm Polish and I have a pretty good understanding of local politics, so just to clarify the neo nazi angle.

Yes, dude probably hates a lot of minorities (that's tl;dr; for you). Żołnierze Wyklęci were anti-communist underground paramilitary group and their symbolism was adopted by Polish far-right groups some time ago (so don't take on the face value what's on his t-shirt - there's a context behind it that Wikipedia won't give you). This t-shirt can be e.g. bought on "Red is bad" page which (no surprise here) is anti-communism e-store. CEO's FB page and his t-shirt clearly pigeonhole him as a radical right wing. There is a high probability that he doesn't like with a different mindset to his own (they are commies, obviously), minorities (be it ethnic or religious), is afraid of Muslims taking over Europe, Jews taking over the world, blacks having rights, gays making his kids gay, and so on. Or he may be less looney tunes than that - I don't know him, so I can only guess.

Having said that and being as far left myself as probably humanly possible - I think it doesn't matter at all unless this influences the game. Which we don't know if it does or does not. Game should be judged on its own merits, not through the lens of its creators. And rest assured, with AAA games having 200+ people working on them, there has to be a bunch of people with POV different than yours. Probably very much different, repulsive even. The only reason you don't toss, say, Epic Mickey aside despite the fact that a bunch of artists or developers behind it are hardcore anti-something dudes is because you don't know that. And you don't seem to care most of the time.

Not knowing people behind a game gives you this nice, comfy cushion of not thinking about the ideology of its creators. Same goes for excuses games give you for killing a truckload of enemies. These are simply cushions for you to not think about your actions. This game is very much in your face. Developers probably shouldn't be this proud of themselves but it's part of their business sense (or lack thereof) and will be validated in the long run by their ability to fund and create another game in the future.

It is somewhat troubling that CEO associates himself with fringe politics. But so does Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal and you grew up watching their movies. This didn't affect you but somehow this game will? Maybe, but I'd rather wait and see.

A much needed, concentrated dose of logic.

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Even if this were true of everyone, there is a difference between enjoying entertainment featuring someone with fringe politics when you are unaware of that fact, and making a conscious decision to consume entertainment in spite of fringe politics that you are fully aware of.

ConayR

Even if this were true of everyone, there is a difference between enjoying entertainment featuring someone with fringe politics when you are unaware of that fact, and making a conscious decision to consume entertainment in spite of fringe politics that you are fully aware of.

Sure, you should absolutely vote with your monies. It's silly not to act according to your knowledge and belief system. Not liking a person behind the game and deciding that you won't buy his product is completely valid. Calling game bad because of a person behind it is mental gymnastics that I think people should avoid.

You can judge a person, no problem there. You can judge a game based on what it is, no problem here either. But acting as if these two were synonymous is dangerous unless you can actually show that ideology of one of the creators guided the development of the game. What if shoe was on the other foot and a crystal clear personality we all love created a despicable game? Should we judge by association, claim that dude this good wouldn't create an atrocity, pretend that there's something deeper hidden in the message? I'd say that no, we shouldn't do that and this is what in parts happens here.

Sure, people object to the game itself by the sheer fact of what it is. That's fine. But we should be very careful when we mix creators and games together. It's an interesting topic to study and discuss in general, but bad idea if applied the way it is being applied in various places on teh interwebz.

Lime

Yeah but when 7/10 victims in the trailer aren't white, it's kind of a concern if one of the creators is a racist fascist.

Yeah but when 7/10 victims in the trailer aren't white, it's kind of a concern if one of the creators is a racist fascist.

Something which was only noticed after people became aware of his ties to that group. And not-white is still a wide range of demographics. If 7/10 would be black people for example, I'd be more concerned.

Not even the Ruinous Powers would allow me to buy this game and play it at my house. My wife would berate me for supporting something like this. Hell, it made weary just watching the trailer...

This is going to light up the Media Waves once it is released, dear lord...

Aske

Sure, you should absolutely vote with your monies. It's silly not to act according to your knowledge and belief system. Not liking a person behind the game and deciding that you won't buy his product is completely valid. Calling game bad because of a person behind it is mental gymnastics that I think people should avoid.

You can judge a person, no problem there. You can judge a game based on what it is, no problem here either. But acting as if these two were synonymous is dangerous unless you can actually show that ideology of one of the creators guided the development of the game. What if shoe was on the other foot and a crystal clear personality we all love created a despicable game? Should we judge by association, claim that dude this good wouldn't create an atrocity, pretend that there's something deeper hidden in the message? I'd say that no, we shouldn't do that and this is what in parts happens here.

Sure, people object to the game itself by the sheer fact of what it is. That's fine. But we should be very careful when we mix creators and games together. It's an interesting topic to study and discuss in general, but bad idea if applied the way it is being applied in various places on teh interwebz.

Excellent point. I agree, but personally, if I knew the money from the game was fuelling that kind of agenda, I couldn't enjoy it any more than I could a Chik Fil A sandwich.

Also, way to besmirch the reputations of socially-conscious, well-adjusted gorehounds, racist Polish dev! At least Ed Boon still appears to be a lovelly man. The ludicrous gibs are safe in his hands.

Corpekata

Banned
I mean, it doesn't even look like a good game, so I'm baffled anyone's looking forward to it. It's a slightly pretty generic twin stick shooter with canned executions. Color me crazy but I'd need some pretty compelling gameplay to be tempted into playing something like this.

hwy_61

Banned
That...was uncomfortable to watch. More power to you if this game does it for you, but I think I'll pass.

EDIT

I just wanted to add that its not like I'm averse to violence in video games. On the contrary, I fucking love it. I guess its just context. I need some context for the violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom