• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

LowParry

So having Future Tone and all the other Diva games, is the 3DS version a good pick up? I usually just use my Vita for my fix at work but eh. Wasn't sure on the 3DS version.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So having Future Tone and all the other Diva games, is the 3DS version a good pick up? I usually just use my Vita for my fix at work but eh. Wasn't sure on the 3DS version.

It plays pretty differently and it has chibi Miku, so yeah, definitely worth it.

Chorazin

I love the 3DS version. IMO it feels less like DIVA and more like IA/COLORFUL, which is fine by me!

It's good fun, has a more chillout vibe compared to Diva. All the songs are the full length versions which is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because there's no weird cuts to be found, and a curse because Electric Love and Servant of Evil are there.

Demoskinos

Finally managed to get a Full Combo on Romeo and Cinderella. I kept psyching myself out at the end there and spent the better part of an hour trying to focus enough to get the job done. Slowly getting better though. =3

C2Q__HSXEAAihXh.jpg

Mandelbo

I'd say it's worth it - it has quite a few songs that aren't in any other Miku game, and while it's fairly easy, especially in comparison to FT, the later beatmaps can get get quite challenging.

It beats out Diva X any day

Daouzin

No one should question the value of this game. $50 bucks for 220+ songs and a TON of modules to unlock. Definitely worth it.

I would recommend that no one buy the full module unlock since it's fun to unlock those as you go, but that's really going to depend on the person.

I honestly feel like it's a steal for the price that it's at. I'm also glad it doesn't have that creepy module petting that previous DIVA games had.

For people that need an in-game progression system you can also try to unlock as many songs as you can on Extreme, I think that's totally doable, but can't say the same for SUPER EXTREME or whatever the difficult is above Extreme.

Kumubou

Dumb factoid: it turns out that there are hold notes in the game that can not award a max hold bonus, even if you max out the hold. I've only seen them at the end of songs where the song ends before the max hold bonus would normally be awarded -- if you manage to hit it super early, you just hit the hold cap and get no bonus. You can test this on something like Hello World on Hard.

How the hell did you 100% Cool a song in this game. I always end up having a 60/40 split between Cools and Greats. I can't tell if it's because my game is calibrated incorrectly or if I'm just bad at it. The timing just never feels right to me.
I mainly play on an old Asus VH236H (aka the old "Evo monitor" before they got a BenQ sponsorship), which is about as as low of a latency display that you are going to find (although there are bunch of newer ones out there now in the 10-12ms range, which would be suitable). If anything, the notes tend to be a bit early, so I wouldn't be shocked if Sega baked in a frame of display lag into the timing windows (it very well could be the same as the arcade version). However, if you're playing on a display with significantly more lag, you're going to have a bad time as there is no visual input delay adjustment in the game.

Honestly, all I can really suggest is to fiddle with your TV or monitor's settings to get the display lag as low as possible (please do this if you haven't already) and then just learn to adjust from there.

And lots of practice. :x

For people that need an in-game progression system you can also try to unlock as many songs as you can on Extreme, I think that's totally doable, but can't say the same for SUPER EXTREME or whatever the difficult is above Extreme.
Extra Extreme unlocks with Extreme and is, quite literally, an extra Extreme chart. Some are harder, some are easier, some clean up some of the dumb charting decisions from older games (or some combination thereof). The only consistent thing is that Extra Extreme charts always have slide notes.

Daouzin

Extra Extreme unlocks with Extreme and is, quite literally, an extra Extreme chart. Some are harder, some are easier, some clean up some of the dumb charting decisions from older games (or some combination thereof). The only consistent thing is that Extra Extreme charts always have slide notes.

Ah that's cool, thanks for the info.

I unlocked a few Extreme songs, but just noticed Extra Extreme. I'm guessing not all songs have an Extra Extreme version?

Vildiil

I mainly play on an old Asus VH236H (aka the old "Evo monitor" before they got a BenQ sponsorship),

I'm using this same monitor, what calibration setting are you using? I got +6 a bunch doing the lag test and it feels alright but just curious what others are getting with the same setup.

macklelol

Ah that's cool, thanks for the info.

I unlocked a few Extreme songs, but just noticed Extra Extreme. I'm guessing not all songs have an Extra Extreme version?

Nope. Extra Extreme is an alternate Extreme chart for older songs with the more recent arcade mechanics (slides). A bunch aren't in this game right now and will be in the upcoming DLC packs.

Kumubou

I'm using this same monitor, what calibration setting are you using? I got +6 a bunch doing the lag test and it feels alright but just curious what others are getting with the same setup.
I ended up at +10 and it feels "right", and I imagine that if you are getting the audio with no delay and the adjustment is in milliseconds (it sure as hell isn't in frames) then that would move the audio delay to match the monitor's display lag (which is 10ms).

Vildiil

I ended up at +10 and it feels "right", and I imagine that if you are getting the audio with no delay and the adjustment is in milliseconds (it sure as hell isn't in frames) then that would move the audio delay to match the monitor's display lag (which is 10ms).

Thanks

Intel_89

The real progression in these games is your actual skill level. Getting better rankings on songs as you get better is really satisfying.

Locking songs just gives the illusion of progression.

I got over 300 hours on F 2nd and not a whole lot of those were spent unlocking songs. This isn't really a series for the solely progression-minded imo, though X dabbled in that with limited success.

Incidentally, I gotta call out the unlock key on being kinda pointless. I've just been playing normally and I've already unlocked just about every module I wanted. The game is generous with its VP and modules don't cost a whole lot so I don't really see why you'd pay to unlock everything when it takes such a short amount of time. Now, X I can see because that game is grinding and RNG hell.

Thanks for the feedback, I ended up buying the game and so far it's been great. The sheer amount of songs is mindblowing, I had no idea of where to start last night. Hard seems to be my default difficulty, I need to learn the game in order to beat a single extreme song.

Roubjon

Thanks for this. I think I need to fiddle around with the calibration some more then. I know I'm not AMAZING at this game, but I've played enough DJMAX and other rhythm games to know my timing should be better than it is here.

Chorazin

Fuuuuuuuck Pane dhiria, what a fucking garbage song. Traditional folk music and Keito'a super robot voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Berordn

I know the game just launched internationally but has there been any mention on if/when we're getting the additional DLC?

They've got some of my favorite tracks from Mirai locked away :(

Chorazin

I know the game just launched internationally but has there been any mention on if/when we're getting the additional DLC?

They've got some of my favorite tracks from Mirai locked away :(

One pack a month at $10 or $24 for the season pass, starts next month.

ramyeon

You never heard Yellow before? kz songs are godly.
Honestly never really looked into anything Vocaloid outside of Project Diva F. I bought F 2nd but never really played it - probably just came out at the wrong time for me. Been looking into albums since I picked up Future Tone and it's really overwhelming - so much stuff out there.

Edit: This is a rabbit hole that goes deep...

Loving all the livetune/kz stuff. Re:Dial is such a good album. DECO*27's stuff is great too! Really love some of his newer stuff that hasn't made it into the games yet. Also stumbled upon the quirky stuff from monaca:factory because their album art is the shit. Really liking that so far too - even though a bunch of it isn't using Miku or any of the main Vocaloids from the games.

SimonM7

I can't say I agree with you regarding the charting in Diva F/F2/X compared to Future Tone. It's not a strength of the series, honestly -- and the way the games are structured (both for the PS3 games and FT) it means that the charts are never going to get too involved, and having to hit multiple sequences at once (as you would in something like Beatmania IIDX) is never going to happen.

Sorry for the super late reply!

The comparison to DDR and Beatmania is a bit sloppy of me without clarifying, so I apologise for that. What I mean by that is it's very straightforward and there's little variety in the kind of "tactics" you employ on the controller. There's only so much you can do with a row of buttons on the arcade machine, and many of the songs don't even have slide notes, which do liven proceedings up a little bit. Macros, which you do have to resort to eventually on a pad, even *reduce* the variety of the task at hand.

Something like dual wielding is part of the design from the ground up in the console games, and the way the charts elaborate on that component eventually means you pretty much have to learn different "disciplines" as you go along. As you get to grips with those there's the sensation of "unlocking" that skill for use in other songs. It's not a linear climb from not being able to hit the buttons fast enough/discern what buttons to push in combination, to being fast and perceptive/having memorised the prompts, the way FT mostly feels like to me.

As a result, the console Divas seem less concerned with sheer intensity or mixing up the directions/combinations ala DDR to ramp up the difficulty, and pay more attention to backbeats and rhythms that aren't quite so overt or simply highlight the characteristics of the songs. It results in an easier game, to be sure, and if there's a huge bummer in those games it's that you may have a favourite song that never becomes particularly stimulating to play. Even so, I think their ability to bring out more compelling gameplay in each song is a fair trade overall.

And this shouldn't come off as me throwing FT under the bus. My initial post in this thread was about this aspect in particular; if you like the style of music, or even songs specifically, but you're not quite clicking with this game the way you hoped, I suggested trying the console Divas anyway, because they do feel different. Significantly so, I would argue, because subtle nuances can drastically change how you feel about a rhythm game.

That and F and F2 don't have that much more content than X... all three games combined would still be at less than half of the content of Future Tone. I actually think most of the structural changes made in X made the game worse (not unsalvageably so, but if Sega makes another game like that I hope they either rework or ditch a lot of those changes).

F and F2 including DLC are almost twice the size of Diva X, and neither of them have a career mode and progression system that kkinda hinges on not getting bored of the available songs. It's also just really awkward that they expect you to grind for modules with, say, Rin or Luka, by using Miku songs.

If they could add a lot more music - and non-Miku music at that, and offer a diva points/freeplay mode for those that want nothing to do with putting concerts together and still want to unlock modules, I honestly think it would be a fantastic entry.

But yeah, I don't want to derail the thread. I just thought I'd adress your reply. :)

The sense of improvement you get in this game is nice. Started off like Bambi, now I can at least pass most songs on hard on my first try. Except the Nyannyannyan. The timing changes in that really fuck me over.

Current goal is to get 100% on hard in Rolling Girl. Easily my favourite song. Then I'll move on to lost ones weeping.

I'm gonna be very impressed if I ever get a decent score on an extreme chart.

I remember that while playing F 2nd there was a period where the hard songs became too easy for me but extreme way too difficult, which made the game a bit frustrating until I finally started getting better at extreme. I'm at the same point now with Future Tone, with the main culprit now being sections where the screen is completely filled with different dual notes. Is there some kind of trick people use to more easily distinguish them, of is it just a matter of practice?

TP

I remember that while playing F 2nd there was a period where the hard songs became too easy for me but extreme way too difficult, which made the game a bit frustrating until I finally started getting better at extreme. I'm at the same point now with Future Tone, with the main culprit now being sections where the screen is completely filled with different dual notes. Is there some kind of trick people use to more easily distinguish them, of is it just a matter of practice?

With older games I watched an extreme play in youtube and slow downed the video to see stuff I couldn't make out

With FT I use the training mode and retry that specific section until I get it

SephLuis

Distance between the dual notes is a tip.

The arcade button layout is like this:

Triangle - Square - X - O

So every dual note that is Triangle and O will be far away from each other. XO will always be close. And so on.

Future Tone is amazing and I'm now in love with Miku and her music.

I barely knew anything about these games and Miku but here we are. It's ridiculously good.

Oreiller

I can't afford buying the full package but I have spent several hours on both free songs already.
Even as someone who is usually ambivalent about Miku, this game is a ton of fun. I'm impressed.

Steroyd

Belated to this thread but thank you Sega gods for blessing me with 216 miku songs for £45, I usually balk at that price for rhythm games but the 2 free songs sold me.

Now dat Disappearance and Intensity of Miku songs, fuck me, they make my ears bleed and turns my hands into noodles, just how I like it.

Rin is fast becoming my 2nd favourite vocaloid damn I love gothic and loneliness.

Belated to this thread but thank you Sega gods for blessing me with 216 miku songs for £45, I usually balk at that price for rhythm games but the 2 free songs sold me.

Now dat Disappearance and Intensity of Miku songs, fuck me, they make my ears bleed and turns my hands into noodles, just how I like it.

Rin is fast becoming my 2nd favourite vocaloid damn I love gothic and loneliness.

It's actually 224 songs. As covered in thread multiple times, there are eight songs with no Normal difficulty chart.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Playing this for an hour or two every other day. I'm still going through the list to at least finish every song (on normal) once. This might take a while. I just got the trophy for 39 Future Sound songs and that scroll bar still looks like it's almost at the beginning.

It feels like this game has more content than I could ever need, but I will still get the season pass when it's available. Totally sensible buying behaviour.

Fuck yes I just got a Perfect on Rolling Girl and on hard.

Maybe not the hardest song but the jump I've made from a couple weeks ago is amazing. And I came so close to dropping the combo I ended the song with my heart racing... And still so many more songs to get through!

Xyber

So I have been playing Diva X for about a week (with 15 hours of game time) and decided to try out this game today. And to my surprise I don't really like it at all, mainly because of the combo notes.

Not a big fan of the stick flicking/slides either. If I could just get the Diva X gameplay with added hold notes this would've been an instant purchase for all those songs.

Right now, I just don't see myself buying this which is weird since I'm completely hooked on X at the moment and just wish I had more songs to play. =/

SimonM7

So I have been playing Diva X for about a week (with 15 hours of game time) and decided to try out this game today. And to my surprise I don't really like it at all, mainly because of the combo notes.

Not a big fan of the stick flicking/slides either. If I could just get the Diva X gameplay with added hold notes this would've been an instant purchase for all those songs.

Right now, I just don't see myself buying this which is weird since I'm completely hooked on X at the moment and just wish I had more songs to play. =/

I completely understand. This is exactly what I was talking about before, on the previous pages.

If anyone feels like they SHOULD like FT and yet don't, it's still a good idea to check out Diva F, F 2nd and/or Diva X.

Honestly, the big problem is that the arcade control scheme doesn't really fit a Dualshock controller at all. Unfortunately, there isn't a fully arcade-like controller on the market; it's a different experience that is very fun and intuitive, and that is simply lost in translation in this port.

SimonM7

Honestly, the big problem is that the arcade control scheme doesn't really fit a Dualshock controller at all. Unfortunately, there isn't a fully arcade-like controller on the market; it's a different experience that is very fun and intuitive, and that is simply lost in translation in this port.

I wonder if getting the Sony 8 button arcade stick would kinda work. If you put slide notes on either end of the top row, it would sorta approximate the arcade layout.

Top Bottom