• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

Honestly, the big problem is that the arcade control scheme doesn't really fit a Dualshock controller at all. Unfortunately, there isn't a fully arcade-like controller on the market; it's a different experience that is very fun and intuitive, and that is simply lost in translation in this port.

I just disagree completely. With the right configuration, the game works fantastic with the DS4, even better in some ways. I's rather alternate on the controller than be limited to hitting the same button for those fast segments on the arcade machine.

OverQ

I just disagree completely. With the right configuration, the game works fantastic with the DS4, even better in some ways. I's rather alternate on the controller than be limited to hitting the same button for those fast segments on the arcade machine.

Are you playing extreme? I'm still unlocking all the extreme charts but from the tracks I have played on extreme the arcade controller design really becomes glaringly obvious. It's a shame Hori didn't make one for us!

DS4 is fine for hard with no confguration needed to hit perfects and high scores but I'm interested to see how people are setting up for extreme, I suppose I'll have to read back through this thread.

Chorazin

Honestly, the big problem is that the arcade control scheme doesn't really fit a Dualshock controller at all. Unfortunately, there isn't a fully arcade-like controller on the market; it's a different experience that is very fun and intuitive, and that is simply lost in translation in this port.

DIVA X minicon gets pretty damn close, I really love playing the game with mine!

Seems the first post-release DLC pack and the season pass for the three planned DLC packs are out in EU now, and will be out in NA tomorrow. Each pack is $9.99/£7.99 and the season pass is $24.99/£19.99.

Andrefpvs

Yikes, 10 simoleons for 4 songs and extra charts. Guess the "224 songs for $50" deal made me spoiled.

Still, one of the songs is "Ageage Again", so there goes my money, I suppose.

What are the songs included in the other two packs?

This'll be the third season pass I ever buy.

The first was for Project Diva F 2nd.

The second was also for Project Diva F 2nd.

Edit: The season pass comes with a pretty big avatar set, including one of Mikudayo. This is instantly worth it.

macklelol

Can't wait to fail at the ending of Two-Faced Lovers Extra Extreme again.

I'll probably buy the season pass. Maybe just so I don't have to boot up the JP version if I wanna play the DLC songs or charts lol.

Kumubou

It works out better on an arcade cabinet, as the buttons both have surprisingly little travel (so it's easier to mash on them) and the buttons are also big enough so that alternating inputs with both hands is very possible.

I wonder if getting the Sony 8 button arcade stick would kinda work. If you put slide notes on either end of the top row, it would sorta approximate the arcade layout.

This is how I play, and it works well enough. The only problem I have is that my left hand isn't good enough at pushing buttons fast enough for 10* charts. D:

Here's a good controller tutorial for those who haven't seen it. Go to 5:59 for macro setup and how to do hold notes.
One thing that people should be aware of that makes playing with a controller miles easier is that you can use multi-button binds to keep holds. In particular, a button bound to all four buttons can be used to keep a hold of any kind. So you can get a hold on O, hit O and then whatever button you have bound to all four buttons and then release the initial input and keep the hold. You can stack holds like this, but you have to have at least one input on all of the held buttons or it will end. You can cheese this by using two all-button binds -- you hold one for the first input, and then after the second hold hold the OTHER bind and release the first one. It turns out that hitting the same button you're holding only drops the hold if an actual note judgement is assessed.

This also has another implication -- it makes getting maximum points out of a hold way easier, since you don't have to worry about releasing and then hitting the same button again as quickly as possible. All you have to worry about is hitting the next target. This usually comes out to only 50-60 points per button held, but that matters considering the difference between a cool and a good is only 211 points. However, where it can matter a ton is when you have very right max hold bonuses. There are a couple of songs (like Spica Hard and Palette Hard) where the hold and the next note on that button are within a frame or two of being exactly five seconds apart. On these songs, even with using a button binding to keep the hold it's possible to get a cool on both the held note and the next note and end up 1-2 frames short of the max hold bonus... so trying to get the max hold bonus while getting cools on both ends normally is absurdly difficult.

Edit: The season pass comes with a pretty big avatar set, including one of Mikudayo. This is instantly worth it.
I was wondering what they were going to do with the avatars, as they were a pre-order bonus for the Japanese version. Looking forward to having Mikudayo stare into everyone's souls.

Sooo for the first pack there's

Ageage Again (amazing)
Cendrillon (also amazing)
Shake it! (also amazing)
Adolesence (a less good version of Cendrillon)

There's the song modules for each of those, as well as MiCrystal and Supreme for Miku, Miku and Luka's World's End Dancehall modules, and Teto's weird Norway jacket. A pretty respectable amount of content, I'd say.

I was wondering what they were going to do with the avatars, as they were a pre-order bonus for the Japanese version. Looking forward to having Mikudayo stare into everyone's souls.

No, the avatars were also part of the season pass in the Japanese version, too.

Holy shit the encore pack is expensive. Only four songs of which two are pretty much the same for 9.99 :-\

Will wait for a sale (if there ever is one).

GUMHM3O.jpg
I reached 100 perfects on extreme. Highest difficulty is 8.5, hopefully I can keep improving and eventually do the hardest stuff. Didn't think I'd get so ridiculously hooked on these games when I picked up f last year. Most addictive games I've ever played.

If it follows the usual rhythm then the arcade version should be updated with new songs this month. So we'll see if arcade support continues or if they're ready to give it up. If they continue to support the arcade version with new songs then I'm positive we'll see a second season pass for the home release.

Roubjon

I reached 100 perfects on extreme. Highest difficulty is 8.5, hopefully I can keep improving and eventually do the hardest stuff. Didn't think I'd get so ridiculously hooked on these games when I picked up f last year. Most addictive games I've ever played.

Nice job, that's some dedication.

Demoskinos

I bought the season pass so much content in Future Tone just had to support SEGA on this one but....all the avatars are still listed as being .99 cents for me? :(

Demoskinos

Try looking in your downloaded avatars, they were all added there for me as soon as I bought the season pass.

Oh ok I wouldn't have thought to try that. TY!

Edit: Nope...that didn't work. =( I guess I'll see if they actually just add a bundle pack to the store or something?

SimonM7

This is how I play, and it works well enough. The only problem I have is that my left hand isn't good enough at pushing buttons fast enough for 10* charts. D:

Interesting.... I may explore this option, what with MvCI coming out and prompting an arcade stick purchase anyway.

I've been mulling over building a Diva arcade controller, but it seems to be a lot of work, and like you mention, you'd want big fat buttons for it.

Are they only supposed to be releasing one set of avatars per encore pack or something? Lots of the .99 avatars disappeared when they took down the free ones too. I got the season pass, but the only avatars added to my list were the ones for free earlier.

Demoskinos

Are they only supposed to be releasing one set of avatars per encore pack or something? Lots of the .99 avatars disappeared when they took down the free ones too. I got the season pass, but the only avatars added to my list were the ones for free earlier.

Yeah all of them disappeared for me. :( I think they pulled them from the store.

I think the avatars were supposed to be exclusive to the season pass. At least, that's the way it was handled in the Japanese release.

Hopefully early purchasers aren't just screwed out of some of the avatars orz

Demoskinos

I think the avatars were supposed to be exclusive to the season pass. At least, that's the way it was handled in the Japanese release.

Hopefully early purchasers aren't just screwed out of some of the avatars orz
Thing is as a season pass purchaser none of the avatars are listed on my list yet. So I have no idea what is going on.

Interesting: the DLC songs count towards clearing all CT songs for the Rhythm Game Master trophy, but instead of adding onto it they can replace other songs. Like, if you have X number of CT songs cleared and clearing the DLC songs brings up your clear total to CT's base number of songs, it'll count as you having cleared all of CT's songs and trigger the trophy even if you had some left. idk if my wording makes any sense or if this is even really interesting but it certainly is a thing.

Xyber

So after spending about an hour with the demo after I remapped some buttons and used a better technique for holds, the game finally clicked for me and I decided to buy the whole thing.

Just got done with a 6 hour session where I just sorted by difficulty and went down the list on hard. 65 songs later (with quite a few replays on some of them) and my fingers are pretty tired. :p

Jucksalbe

Banned
The official (English) site now has a section for the DLC. It lists in detail what is added. The 2nd Encore Pack is also already mentioned. Not sure if this is news, but it's dated March 7th.

lumi7890

This is probably gonna sound like a stupid question. But, what does this message mean? I only get it with future tone, and I'm wondering what it means?

tumblr_ol4ut2sber1rmet04o1_500.jpg

Demoskinos

I'm such trash at doing like multi-tap notes on Hard Mode. :(

Anyone have any tips or any thing? I've been floating around on Normal mode for awhile. Decided to go on hard mode and tried Afterburner and that went okay. Tried a few other songs and the double triple tap notes are just killing me. Maybe I just need to keep bashing my head against it to get used to hard mode.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
FInally got around to snagging all the trophies.

ANFSy4el.png

Been playing through the whole list of songs on Hard since launch when I find time to play, this is only the second Miku game I've played, the first being Mirai DX on the 3DS. I'd say aside from a few particular tracks towards the highest difficulties on Hard I was able to complete them all fairly easily, but I guess 15+ years of rhythm game experience really helps out.

Anyone have any tips or any thing? I've been floating around on Normal mode for awhile. Decided to go on hard mode and tried Afterburner and that went okay. Tried a few other songs and the double triple tap notes are just killing me. Maybe I just need to keep bashing my head against it to get used to hard mode.

This video has a lot of tips that helped me out a lot (specifically the part about multi-notes starting at 8:55).

This is probably gonna sound like a stupid question. But, what does this message mean? I only get it with future tone, and I'm wondering what it means?

Basically, the game will show screenshots that you take during load times. But it will only show screenshots that you take with the in-game tools while watching PVs. It won't show screenshots that you take with the Share button.

Xyber

I had some big trouble getting the hang on combo notes at first, but I watched that video linked above and used his macros on the shoulder buttons (although I did change so 4-note combos are on bumpers instead of the triggers because it felt better to me). It's all about learning the patterns they show up in. It takes a while to get the hang of it but after having gone through the first 120-ish songs on hard in the past couple of days (sorted by difficulty) I have pretty much gotten down the normal 2-note combos and the triangle shaped 3-note combos to the point where I barely have to think about what button to press.

I have not gotten to the combo notes that show up in a vertical line yet, so I still have some stuff to learn there but that's not something you will need to think about for quite some time if you just are starting out on hard.

But do watch that entire video, because it was really helpful to me as a new player, especially the part about doing hold notes. That's the first thing you should really work at (unless you already are doing it that way) because it's gonna feel really awkward for a while. When I started doing the switch it took me a good second from pressing a hold note with my thumb, to pressing and holding a shoulder button and then letting go of the face button. Now it just happens in one quick motion, I still mess it up from time to time but I'm still a newbie in the grand scheme of things with my total of maybe 15 hours in the past week.

---------

Woo, second song I've managed to perfect on my sightread \o/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-kXdVFDCoU
Perhaps not very difficult for all you people doing extreme songs, but I only have one week of experience with a rhythm game like this, so I have to start somewhere. :p
Only other rhythm games I've put any time into were Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and they don't really help much in the gameplay department here.

Demoskinos

I had some big trouble getting the hang on combo notes at first, but I watched that video linked above and used his macros on the shoulder buttons (although I did change so 4-note combos are on bumpers instead of the triggers because it felt better to me). It's all about learning the patterns they show up in. It takes a while to get the hang of it but after having gone through the first 120-ish songs on hard in the past couple of days (sorted by difficulty) I have pretty much gotten down the normal 2-note combos and the triangle shaped 3-note combos to the point where I barely have to think about what button to press.

I have not gotten to the combo notes that show up in a vertical line yet, so I still have some stuff to learn there but that's not something you will need to think about for quite some time if you just are starting out on hard.

But do watch that entire video, because it was really helpful to me as a new player, especially the part about doing hold notes. That's the first thing you should really work at (unless you already are doing it that way) because it's gonna feel really awkward for a while. When I started doing the switch it took me a good second from pressing a hold note with my thumb, to pressing and holding a shoulder button and then letting go of the face button. Now it just happens in one quick motion, I still mess it up from time to time but I'm still a newbie in the grand scheme of things with my total of maybe 15 hours in the past week.

---------

Woo, second song I've managed to perfect on my sightread \o/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-kXdVFDCoU
Perhaps not very difficult for all you people doing extreme songs, but I only have one week of experience with a rhythm game like this, so I have to start somewhere. :p
Only other rhythm games I've put any time into were Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and
they don't really help much in the gameplay department here.

Hmmm maybe I should have been more descriptive but the chained double , triple notes aren't the huge issue its just that the ones that you have to rapidly tap mess me up where you'll have a pattern where it'll be like four 4 notes then 3 notes layered on top of each other so you have to do a real rapid triple press of the same note.

Hmmm maybe I should have been more descriptive but the chained double , triple notes aren't the huge issue its just that the ones that you have to rapidly tap mess me up where you'll have a pattern where it'll be like four 4 notes then 3 notes layered on top of each other so you have to do a real rapid triple press of the same note.
Do you alternate between pressing the face buttons and d-pad?

Xyber

As, well that's pretty easy to fix. Just alternate between d-pad and face buttons on those fast ones. Feels weird at first and the timing will be off, but I went from never using the d-pad to being able to play this song really well in an evening of just training on alternating. I couldn't even finish that song just 5-6 hours before I recorded this.

https://youtu.be/nE7GcyI3FDU

That song was also a really good one to practice it on. Not too difficult, but still challenging. So it's a shame it's not available in Future Tone.

Are you on a PS4 Pro? Future Tone is one of the (surprisingly small handful of) games that directly integrates with the Share screenshot function, so I've always assumed that this message means it doesn't support the '4k' resolution screenshot option that the Pro has. I get that popup as well and I'm pretty sure I never saw it before upgrading. (Though I may well be mistaken as I hadn't played the game for a while by time I upgraded.)

KanameYuuki

I've been grinding my way to plat X before playing full time Future Tone but those friendship trophies are the worst, I wonder how likely it is for SEGA to make a pack with the X songs for this game, because as small the song collection is I feel it was the one with the most songs I like to play, which are pretty much all of them specially the Giga medley.

And something I find quite weird is that I'm not sure if X is waaaay easier but I can do well enough on extreme and even perfect some songs but on Future Tone I'm having so much trouble to even get excellent on hard and on extreme songs are just impossible.

kagamin

I've been grinding my way to plat X before playing full time Future Tone but those friendship trophies are the worst, I wonder how likely it is for SEGA to make a pack with the X songs for this game, because as small the song collection is I feel it was the one with the most songs I like to play, which are pretty much all of them specially the Giga medley.

And something I find quite weird is that I'm not sure if X is waaaay easier but I can do well enough on extreme and even perfect some songs but on Future Tone I'm having so much trouble to even get excellent on hard and on extreme songs are just impossible.

I'm having some trouble adapting to the gameplay differences from the main games more than anything, you just gotta get used to it really, like I can do some 9.5* songs but some 8.5* songs give me tons of issues.

Top Bottom