• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Have we forgotten about Avatar?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I say 'Ewa Hears You' all the time.

But not in a positive way. In a deus ex machina stupidest moment of all time kind of way.

I think for about 3 months the entire country fell into a haze of wanting to fly dragons and didn't actually realize the movie wasn't very good. Luckily we all woke up before it won an Oscar.

But not in a positive way. In a deus ex machina stupidest moment of all time kind of way.

I think for about 3 months the entire country fell into a haze of wanting to fly dragons and didn't actually realize the movie wasn't very good. Luckily we all woke up before it won an Oscar.

I don't even recall lines in this movie when reminded of them! I literally have no idea who said 'Ewa hears you' or who Ewa was.

I remember the name "Neytiri" but that might be it.
Oh and the main guy's name is Jake.
Yay I remembered something!

Here's what I remember:

Jake is a marine and he's in zero gravity as the movie opens. He makes video logs and he goes to Pandora to get unobtainium and then he...Um, Michelle Rodriguez is there. SIgourney Weaver is there, and I don't recall if she's a villian or not.

At some point he 'avatars' and meets blue girl, and tames a creature with an umbilical cord and they run and jump and he joins the tribe in defending the Magic Deku tree from the evil military.

I think that's really all I remember.

cajunator

Banned
Here's what I remember:

Jake is a marine and he's in zero gravity as the movie opens. He makes video logs and he goes to Pandora to get unobtainium and then he...Um, Michelle Rodriguez is there. SIgourney Weaver is there, and I don't recall if she's a villian or not.

At some point he 'avatars' and meets blue girl, and tames a creature with an umbilical cord and they run and jump and he joins the tribe in defending the Magic Deku tree from the evil military.

I think that's really all I remember.

you remembered an impressive amount.
Sigourney Weaver is kind of neutral in the film.

bengraven

I remember for a few months people were saying "I hear you, Jake Sooley" or whatever it was.

Edit: "I see you".

I agree with all of this. I'm still confused.

I've never even seen the movie all the way through (saw maybe 30 minutes or so). I caught some of it a few years ago when I was channel surfing. It looked amazing. But I never finished it.

Maybe it was a furry thing. haha, furries went 10x each. Since I don't know any furries, that could explain it.

Sure, it has nothing to do with the movie itself. Because clearly everyone has forgotten about, say, the avengers. Right?

Marvel/Avengers doesn't count. They've got tv shows, multiple movies of the characters from the avengers movie, conferences where they announce 8 god damn movies that will all make reference to The Avengers or elements involving the Avengers, and a sequel coming in 5 months. Their whole strategy revolves around you not forgetting.

Marvel/Avengers doesn't count. They've got tv shows, multiple movies of the characters from the avengers movie, conferences where they announce 8 god damn movies that will all make reference to The Avengers or elements involving the Avengers, and a sequel coming in 5 months. Their whole strategy revolves around you not forgetting.
Lol ok

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I forgot The Avengers as soon as I walked out of the theatre.

It also doesn't have a plot.

Were it a stand along movie and not an empire I think most people would totally forget about the marvel movies too. I mean, they are super fun, but totally throw away single-use popcorn flicks. But they keep them coming, so they stick around.

Kinvara

I was hyped for Avatar.

Then, I started seeing summaries and reviews of it- I realized it was just another "White Savior" film. I did see it for myself in theaters but I was so disappointed.

Pandora isn't all that great either. It seemed to be a mishmash of the old sci-fi novels I used to borrow from my dad. The dragons were ripped straight from Ann McCaffrey. Looks practically identical to an Earth rainforest except with more glowing things. The aliens are just blue-cat Native Americans.

I've seen/read much better and more creative alien worlds than Pandora but I guess if you're not familiar with sci-fi it might look cool.

But as for me, I will definitely pass on the sequel.

For me, the "bones" that made up Avatar were very familiar and derivative. I know there is nothing new under the sun but if Avatar had been made in some other way by some other director it might have even bombed. What made it the massive success that it was was James Cameron, the world of Pandora, and the use of 3D. While the actual story wasn't throwing you any curve balls, the 3D was very well done and Cameron was able to create a real attachment for the viewers with the world he created. He also applied what he had learned from Titanic about setting a love story between 2 people on opposing sides.

It was simply a very enjoyable, very pretty action-adventure film. Even though the story was tired, it kind of didn't even matter since the coat of paint was so nice. I admire all that Cameron did to advance the technology and i'm hoping that the sequels story-wise are more original and compelling.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I liked it enough to buy it on Blu-Ray. I've seen it probably 5 or 6 times and don't feel the need to again anytime soon.

Consistent and stunning visuals, good performances and a fun experience throughout. It's a good movie that flows well and was fun enough for me to want to watch the sequels, like everyone else..

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Saw it once, for the 3D showcase, and really enjoyed it.

But I can't think of it without the thought, "Who the hell is doing his bowel routine?"

Haven't been able to take it seriously since that question popped in my head.

Irminsul

While I agree that this whole "We fight highly militarised people with little more than animals and bows and we win!" was pretty stupid, I always thought the idea of "Ewa" was pretty well-established and explained in the film. The whole planet moon was basically a giant neural network, which was discovered rather early into the film.

JB1981

While I agree that this whole "We fight highly militarised people with little more than animals and bows and we win!" was pretty stupid, I always thought the idea of "Ewa" was pretty well-established and explained in the film. The whole planet moon was basically a giant neural network, which was discovered rather early into the film.

Yes it was not a deus ex machina at all. Jake prays for help on the eve of battle. At that point the planet as a global neural network and the existence of Eywa was well established

inm8num2

Everyone remembers Avatar, but nobody remembers Delgo.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/avatar-is-delgo
http://movieline.com/2009/08/20/the-7-eeriest-parallels-between-avatar-and-delgo/
http://youbentmywookie.com/entertai...blance-between-camerons-avatar-and-delgo-6945

Delgotar1.jpg
Delgotar5.jpg

border

It does seem weird that a film so incredibly successful has had zero lasting pop cultural impact or influence.

There are no memorable lines, gestures, musical cues. Even lesser stuff like Hunger Games has moments that everyone understands (the whistle, the one finger salute).

Avatar was completely a flash in the pan.

Verger

Banned
WETA is at least saying that the sequels are going to be the most ambitious thing they've ever done.
Collider: Obviously we all know that you guys are involved with the Avatar sequels. I love James Cameron and love the way that he pushes technology. What is it like working with him on the sequels? And are you guys pushing the boundary forward again in terms of technology?

JOE LETTERI: We will be. We know that because we know what’s coming. But the work now is very much the nuts and bolts. There’s a lot of engineering work going on just to build the infrastructure for what we’re going to need to do throughout the next three films. There’s a little bit of creative work that we’re just starting to dip into, but there’s infrastructure that needs to be built and that’s where most of our work has been so far.

What you’re setting up for the Avatar sequels, is that the most ambitious thing you guys have tried to do? Or was The Hobbit and LOTR even more [ambitious]? How do you compare it?

LETTERI: I think what we’re trying to do for the Avatar sequels will be the most ambitious things we’ve ever tried. James [Cameron] just has such a complete idea of this world – and it is a whole world and it’s a story he wants to tell over three more films. It’s huge in terms of breadth and it’s detailed in innumerable ways I couldn’t get into. It’s the kind of project that requires both very specific high level realism at a small micro-level and that micro-level realism needs to work across an entire planet.

I know one of them, I think the second one, does a lot of stuff underwater. I don’t know of any motion capture that’s been underwater yet. How is it trying to research that kind of technology? It seems like a major step forward.

LETTERI: That will be major but for us it’s still on the drawing boards. We haven’t put anybody into water yet. We’re just trying to work out the infrastructure for it first.

Xiaoki

It does seem weird that a film so incredibly successful has had zero lasting pop cultural impact or influence.

There are no memorable lines, gestures, musical cues. Even lesser stuff like Hunger Games has moments that everyone understands (the whistle, the one finger salute).

Avatar was completely a flash in the pan.
You're comparing the pop culture impact of a movie that is currently in theaters to a movie from 5 years ago?

Avatar has left the zeitgeist because it has had zero merchandise since the movie's release.

What do you think the lasting pop culture impact of Hunger Games will be 5 years after the last movie? Do you think people will still remember the whistle then?

Bit-Bit

For those in this thread who said that Avatar didn't change film making, think again.

The way the two new Planet of the Apes movie was filmed, along with Spielberg's Tin Tin movie, was done thanks to the advances in film making for Avatar.

The actors wear face cams that captures their emotions unlike anything before. But that's not all, the actors are in a sort of digital set that the director can then move a real representation of a camera through and shoot the film in a way that was never possible with previous CGi movies.

And I feel like every few months we get an Avatar thread, so the fact that that happens sort of indicates that it is still on many people's minds.

jtb

Banned
It's only been "forgotten" because, unlike basically every other successful blockbuster of the past decade, it hasn't gotten a sequel. Yet. So it's obviously easier to remember something that's perpetually in the news/hype cycle as a franchise than something that's been dormant for a few years now.

Yamauchi

Banned
I don't quite get the point of the article. Every single person I ever talked to about Avatar said the same thing: it was an incredibly beautiful film that was otherwise very generic and boring. It was a visual wonder wrapped inside a mediocre film. What is there to remember?

Irminsul

I wonder what the last film was that actually could be compared to Avatar in terms of (lack of) long-lasting cultural impact vs. money it made. Because for a fair comparison, the "environment" each film is placed in should be roughly the same. That automatically disqualifies all series of films and films set within well-established universes – they have far more than one single film to build their impact on.

So, what are we left with? That's not a rhetorical question, by the way – I honestly don't know what a fair set of films comparable with Avatar in this regard would look like.

I also wonder about what's the cause and what's the effect here, e.g., when talking about the lack of merchandise (or all other stuff to keep Avatar in people's minds) surrounding the film. Was the film thought to be forgettable and thus no merchandise was produced, or was the lack of merchandise a cause of the lack of impact Avatar had?

Oh, and yes, I kind of like the film. Yes, the story is little to speak of and the dialogues not that noteworthy, but I like the universe the film is set in (the neural network moon I already mentioned, but everything else within that universe as well) and of course the visuals. In my opinion, it's still the most beautiful 3D film there is and the environment is one of the most beautiful in any film.

That is extremely coincidental to say the least...like, a tip beyond 'inspirational" incidental...

I wonder what the last film was that actually could be compared to Avatar in terms of (lack of) long-lasting cultural impact vs. money it made. Because for a fair comparison, the "environment" each film is placed in should be roughly the same. That automatically disqualifies all series of films and films set within well-established universes – they have far more than one single film to build their impact on.

So, what are we left with? That's not a rhetorical question, by the way – I honestly don't know what a fair set of films comparable with Avatar in this regard would look like.

I also wonder about what's the cause and what's the effect here, e.g., when talking about the lack of merchandise (or all other stuff to keep Avatar in people's minds) surrounding the film. Was the film thought to be forgettable and thus no merchandise was produced, or was the lack of merchandise a cause of the lack of impact Avatar had?

Oh, and yes, I kind of like the film. Yes, the story is little to speak of and the dialogues not that noteworthy, but I like the universe the film is set in (the neural network moon I already mentioned, but everything else within that universe as well) and of course the visuals. In my opinion, it's still the most beautiful 3D film there is and the environment is one of the most beautiful in any film.
Toy Story? The Matrix? Jurassic Park? Frozen? I think they all qualify, especially the first three.

Sure none of them have made Avatar's BO but they were extremely successful financially within their fields, and it shouldn't need to be said what long-lasting cultural impact the first three have left. Frozen's requires more time but it's been a huge success both critically and financially (even if I personally question how well it'll weather the test of time).

Gravidee

One thing I don't understand is, how is is that Weta Digital can make Avatar and the new Apes movies look so good but a lot of scenes from The Hobbit seem very spotty?

Dead

well not really...yet
One thing I don't understand is, how is is that Weta Digital can make Avatar and the new Apes movies look so good but a lot of scenes from The Hobbit seem very spotty?
Peter Jackson. He changes and makes his mind up on stuff til the last minute.

DieH@rd

Banned
Avatar was great. Can't wait for sequels.

Hopefully they will have meaningful story to tell. Avatar 1 was a retelling of dances with wolves, which is not bad, but I want more from sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom