• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever quit on a show after one of its season finale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

I've tried to watch Lost a few times.

I get to season 5 or so and lose interest. It just gets too dumb.

I liked 24 quite a bit but stopped after season 3 or 4.

Sojgat

Walking Dead season 1.

First episode was so great, but the show just got worse, and worse... and worse.

Somehow it even put me off the comic. After buying, and not yet reading the last 3 hardcovers, I decided not to order the most recent one.

Yaven

Banned
Yep. LOST. Season 1 finale. I realized the show would never have a good ending, and that it was just gimmicky suspense.

geomon

Walking Dead season 1.

First episode was so great, but the show just got worse, and worse... and worse.

Somehow it even put me off the comic. After buying, and not yet reading the last 3 hardcovers, I decided not to order the most recent one.

You must finish the comic. Purge this awful show from your mind and embrace the greatness of Robert Kirkman.

excowboy

I did the opposite of this and quit watching Homeland before the final episode of season one because it had become way too ridiculous and
the portrayal of a full on manic breakdown as part of bipolar disorder that imbued magical crime solving abilities was basically disgusting and insulting to those that suffer with the actual condition for entire lifetimes
IMO...

Damages S1 - This show was way too hyped.
Orange is the New Black S1 - I don't hate it but I'm done with Piper.
Orphan Black S1 - It started out great but turned into a goofy "thespian" acting exhibition of multiple characters.

grego9198

Heroes Season 2

I should have stopped watching HIMYM after season 4, but I really wanted to see the end. It was not worth trudging through the rest of the seasons to get there.

Ashok

Banned
Orphan Black S1 - Good start but the mythology became boring as sin and the show turned into a gimmick of over-saturated clones with little characterization.

Malvolio

The Killing season one.
Heroes season one. Should have stopped sooner.
Should have stopped Lost after season one, but boredom through unemployment had me finish it off.

Pluto

Parks & Rec - after S1
That was a mistake, starting with season 2 the show became really good. It's incredible how much the show improved between the season 1 finale and the season 2 premier.

I stopped watching Skins after the season 2 finale, it was agreat way to end the series and they got a new cast for season 3, that immediately killed my interest in the show.

I stopped watching Skins after the season 2 finale, it was agreat way to end the series and they got a new cast for season 3, that immediately killed my interest in the show.
I would say give season 3 and 4 a go if you can, I admit after such a great cast in season 1 and 2 its offputting to start fresh (Well except Effy) but I found they were good characters and their overall story is actually really interesting and ends on (For me) a fantastic and shocking ending.

The following season isnt bad too actually with the 3rd set of characters but I never got round to finishing the following season.

Neverfade

Sons of Anarchy Season 3.

I got so tired of all the contrived conspiracy bullcrap that the
pseudo happy ending ... (I forget exactly what happens. Jax gets his son back or something?)
felt like a good stopping point.

Oh man, you fucked up. As a huge Sons fan, I'll agree: Season 3 is dogshit. I can understand where you're coming from, but season 4 comes back strong and they only get better from there.

Fevaweva

I stopped watching Skins just before the ending of season 1. I liked that all the characters were happy and stuff so I decided not to watch the finale (I already knew what happened). And I never went back.

Stopped watching The Walking Dead after the finale of season 1. Absolutely fucking awful.

I left Dexter just after the season with Colin Hanks in it. It was terribad.

heyf00L

tumblr_m2oto7SGwf1qzv4vio1_400.gif

This got my so hype. Then nothing happened. I quit after whatever season this was.

leng jai

The penultimate episode of Boardwalk Empire's second season completely killed my interest in the show. Probably the first time I've ever dropped a show I was interested in so abruptly.

Downton Abbey - Season 3 finale began by loss of appreciation for that show. It was an awful way to remove a character. Instead of simply saying Matthew got a respectable lawyer position in London, they kill off his character completely.

I stopped completely after they decided it would be a good idea to have Anna, one of the best characters and most good-hearted, get raped by someone else's caretaker. I couldn't stand the show after that. My fiancee finished season 4 by herself and said it was pretty good, but I just have no interest. I used to love that show, too.

Beefwheat

Dexter, at the end of the 1st season. My brother was further ahead than me and complained that S2-onward felt like a pointless continuation after the reasonably self-contained ending to S1. So I watched the first season and quit! Haven't really regretted it, especially given the reviews on the later seasons.

Walking Dead Season 3 - Done

I dunno how some of you lasted that long. It went downhill after the pilot, and I don't think I made it to episode 4.

The Killing season 1 is an obvious answer, but the show was awful from the get-go, and the only hope was that the season 1 ending might make it seem ok in retrospect. It didn't.

The only thing I can think of that changed so much I couldn't keep going was probably Northern Exposure. The show only had 2 seasons as far as I'm concerned. I'm showing my age here, I think.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Dexter season 1.

Spartacus season 1.

I know people tell me to continue Spartacus all the time, but fuck off. It's not the same without Andy Whitfield.

the new guy felt so wrong at first, but I recommend sticking to it, he gets finally good at season 3, and Crassus and Caesar are fantastic "villains"

Gods of the Arena is great, too. Gannicus is ace

Fularu

Banned
I quit Homeland once the israeli producer/writer linked Hezbullah and AlQaeda

I couldn't take any more shitty propaganda

ghostjoke

Banned
how i met your mother (2 times)
quit after season 6 when it went into quality freefall and the characters (bar marshal) began irritating me. was one season too many (and that's being nice).

then i started watching season 8 when i was living with someone, started as background noise but slowly i began paying attention again. then that ending which destroyed every remaining character i cared for in any way (again bar marshal).

oddly i read about how it finally ended and thought it was a good ending, rest of the world doesn't seem to agree. i thought it fit the characters and theme of the show far better than the previous finales....no...stop thinking that...you don't want to watch it....

Four much-loved shows stick in my mind:

Sliders. Season 3 finale.
Couldn't get over the cruel and senseless death of the Professor. When he died, the show died.

Supernatural. Season 5 finale.
Lucifer is defeated, Dean is living a normal life with that old girlfriend and Sam is living a separate life hunting demons after he escaped from hell.
Had a moment of clarity that five seasons of this was enough, time to quit it with a happy ending.

Boardwalk Empire. Season 2 finale. I didn't know Nucky any more. He went from being an anti-hero to a fully-fledged villain whom I could never root for.

The Mentalist. Season 4 finale. They bait and switched me for the last time with Red John. Done.

jordisok

Heroes Season 1. Just felt so underwhelming.
Think I dropped The Walking Dead after 1? Can't quite recall it just kinda petered out for me.

CoryCubed

No, but God do I wish I had quit Sliders after the Season 2, if not 3 one. Or the episode
where the gate doesn't squeak because it has been oiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom