• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you seen Titanfall (Xbox 360)?

CamHostage

Unfortunately, wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see till after the Xbox One version comes out.

We won't see it til the Xbox 360 version comes out, even. As Wii/DS/PSP owners are well aware of, the lesser versions are not just under-reported, but strategically buried by the PR managers in order to focus attention, even if those versions might be perfectly good products.

The 360 version is going to sell no problem. They have an install base of 80million+. That end is shored up already. They want to move XB1s. Pretty obvious what their doing.

Right, and people seem to think that a product is doomed to fail if there's no advertising for a game, but there are plenty of ways to get the word out these days, and especially with a long-tail game like TitanFall, the trade-off of putting in priorities one direction might work better than having no emphasis. Activision made four or so Call of Duty games on Wii without ever showing a screenshot before launch (also a few DS games, though I think those got previews because they most often had a different title) and they all sold enough to continue supporting the platform despite it requiring a different team and an overhaul of the visuals. TitanFall 360 should be able to piggyback the primary game without too much of its own push.

Bet MS paid EA real good money to hide the 360 and keep it away from PS4. It must have compensated all the PS4 sales for sure. Glad they didn't force them to hide or delay PC. But MS can be really brutal and a-holes for these exclusive deals.

curb

Banned
Why do they have to, exactly? I'm sure it will look decent for what the 360 is capable of. Bluepoint is a competent studio if their past pedigree means anything to you.

I think many GAFers know that but lots of people get antsy if a game isn't shown before launch. It reads as a sign of weakness, like something is being hidden.

The XB1 version has a really rough frame rate at times inside a Titan. Why are people saying the 360 version will be on par with it? I don't see it happening.

Because the 360 version will use lesser assets, geometry, and resolution to do its best to remain at 60fps?

No one is expecting it to look like the xb1 version. They just want it to look like a 360 game and be playable. I will be shocked if it doesn't succeed at that. Bluepoint do good work.

Xyber

They don't want you to see how similar the 360 version looks to the One version graphically. Even the PC version looks like a shoddy up-port of a last gen game, wouldn't be surprised if the 2 Xbox versions look fairly similar with 360 being a bit blurrier because of slightly lower res.

BigDug13

Bet MS paid EA real good money to hide the 360 and keep it away from PS4. It must have compensated all the PS4 sales for sure. Glad they didn't force them to hide or delay PC. But MS can be really brutal and a-holes for these exclusive deals.

They also paid to keep it off of PS3, and portability to PS3 was a part of their decision making process for going with Source Engine to begin with. I'm really curious how much money MS paid.

watership

Just to make it clear to MS that we will not be played by them. Purposely delaying the 360 version because they're afraid people will realize the difference between the 2 versions is miniscule is beyond slimy.

Even if you think that MS delayed a game they don't own, do you honestly think that there will be a miniscule different between the 360 and Xbox One version? A console with 512MB of ram vs one with 8GB. With the X1 being at least 8x faster than the 360. I do think that Titanfall isn't that great looking, yet there is a lot going on in that game. There will be a obvious difference.

the PS3 is where EA loses the most sales. Im willing to bet MS was pushing for XB1 only but it needed to offset a 160million userbase in 360/PS3.

Doesn't EA have some say in how their game is advertised? Especially if they actually want it to sell?

that might be in the contract, MS has the exclusive rights to advertize the Xbox versions.

Doesn't EA have some say in how their game is advertised? Especially if they actually want it to sell?

Usually, yes. But I'm guessing that this is part of the exclusivity moneyhat. Because if I'm EA i'm pushing the shit out of the 360 version even if it's awful... because 80 million consoles vs 3-4 million consoles isn't even a competition on which *should* sell more.

I honestly think the 360 can run Titanfall at a breeze. The game isn't that graphically pressing.

I suspect people are underestimating Titanfall here. It may not be the most graphically stunning game, but it's pretty busy in terms of action and visual effects nonetheless. As it appears on the xbox one it's definitely a touch more demanding than I think the Xbox 360 can handle. So I think there will be some potentially bigger and more noticeable differences between the 360 version of the game and the Xbox One version than some are thinking. The texture quality alone should be a challenge to replicate on the 360, let alone everything else.

I'd love to be proven wrong, since I'd like to see the game do as well as possible, but we'll see in time, I guess.

the PS3 is where EA loses the most sales. Im willing to bet MS was pushing for XB1 only but it needed to offset a 160million userbase in 360/PS3.
Yep that is correct ... They lost all the PS3 sales which is a lot bigger. I am surprised EA went for it which only says they got tons of money for this deal. Wonder how quickly they bring the next TF to PS4/PS3.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
if the 360 version doesn't look as good as the xbone version it'll only be proof that MS paid bluepoint to sabotage it

ymmv

Banned
Why is EA even doing x360 version? Many people don't know it exists, EA isn't advertising it at all, and more likely they won't advertise it. It's like EA don't really care about X360 version.

It looks like Microsoft is doing all the marketing and is actually working against EA's interests by concentrating only on the Xbone versiod and neglecting potential Xbox 360 games sales. This is not the way to establish a contender for COD's throne.

FoneBone

Reminds me a lot of what happened last gen with most SD (Wii/PS2) or handheld (DS/PSP) versions of multiplatform games... actually, it still happens with handheld version of multiplatform games. Probably this won't be nearly as half-assed as those, though.

And of course it's probably in Microsoft's best interest to focus on the Xbone version in the name of moving consoles.

if the 360 version doesn't look as good as the xbone version it'll only be proof that MS paid bluepoint to sabotage it

lol you're insane. If you think it's going to be easy for the 360 to match what's on display in the xbox one version while also being 60fps, I have a bridge to sell you.

Also, I think bluepoint has a lot more integrity than you're giving them credit for. Paid to make a shitty product? I don't think you comprehend how EA, let alone Respawn themselves, would respond to that. Beyond that, just because Microsoft wants to push the Xbox One version and hopes its a hit, doesn't mean they don't have a real stake in the 360 version selling as many copies for EA and Respawn as at all possible.

Oh one more thought: I hope this deal bites MS & EA in the ass real bad. I hate 3rd party exclusives especially they way MS does it.

sn00zer

Bluepoint made the amazing Vita port of PSABR...I imagine they will do something similar with Titanfall....shit was like voodoo

It looks like Microsoft is doing all the marketing and is actually working against EA's interests by concentrating only on the Xbone versiod and neglecting potential Xbox 360 games sales. This is not the way to establish a contender for COD's throne.

it could also alienate EA

meanspartan

Because the 360 version will use lesser assets, geometry, and resolution to do its best to remain at 60fps?

No one is expecting it to look like the xb1 version. They just want it to look like a 360 game and be playable. I will be shocked if it doesn't succeed at that. Bluepoint do good work.

I think it will be comparable to the difference between BF4 on last gen and BF4 on current gen/pc, but without the player count drop since it is already 6 v 6 only.

Basically a much "muddier" look, presumably sub-720p resolution stretched out a la last gen Call of Duty. But I bet it will still hit 60fps or close to it.

For those that don't have any sort of gaming PC and also don't own an Xbox One, I'm sure if they are ok with the graphics being a little yucky this will still be a perfectly playable and fun game on the Xbox 360 given that Bluepoint is good at what they do.

Adam182

Banned
Lol are u serious?

The x1 is way more powerful then the 360. I'm beginning to wonder if they are holding it back based on how ugly it will look

I think it will be comparable to the difference between BF4 on last gen and BF4 on current gen/pc, but without the player count drop since it is already 6 v 6 only.

Basically a much "muddier" look, presumably sub-720p resolution stretched out a la last gen Call of Duty. But I bet it will still hit 60fps or close to it.

For those that don't have any sort of gaming PC and also don't own an Xbox One, I'm sure if they are ok with the graphics being a little yucky this will still be a perfectly playable and fun game on the Xbox 360 given that Bluepoint is good at what they do.

That's exactly what I'm expecting.

Axoman

I don't think the 360 is going to be as GPU stressed as it's going to be CPU stressed.

I would have thought the opposite. The GPU differences between the 360 and XB1 are huge, where as the CPU differences are less. Remember, the 360 has a triple core 3.2GHz PowerPC based CPU with each core being two thread capable.

I don't know off the top of my head theoretical peak CPU performance between the two, but the performance difference is much less than the GPU difference.

BigDug13

I would have thought the opposite. The GPU differences between the 360 and XB1 are huge, where as the CPU differences are less. Remember, the 360 has a triple core 3.2GHz PowerPC based CPU with each core being two thread capable.

I don't know off the top of my head theoretical peak CPU performance between the two, but the performance difference is much less than the GPU difference.

True, but the reason why older PC's with mediocre video cards are blowing through this game so easily is because PC CPU's have been powerhouses compared to console CPU's for years. Source Engine is CPU bound.

Maybe it will be fine, but with AI and titans and greater physics calculations with the greater movement, I'm not convinced.

Zomba13

Is aimbot that common on PC shooters? Or is like the old days when everyone thought the other team had a lag switch on consoles? I'm not a PC gamer so I honestly don't know.

Everyone on the other team is a hacking cunt. Always. It's never my fault I suck at a game. Always the other team using hacks.

Always.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I have a feeling they don't want to show it to avoid graphical comparisons.

The 360 being in the last stages of its life the game probably looks pretty decent on it.

Is there a legit reason why we havent received any media for the 360 port when we're just a month away from launch?

For us poor people that dont have a decent pc or an Xbone, this is our only option to play the game.

Considering how Titanfall looks graphics wise and how well other cross gens like Ghosts and even Metal Gear turned out, I expect 360 Titanfall to be a great version and probably the best selling.

Top Bottom