• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Regardless of if any of the cards in this set are good, this is by far their most interestingly designed set, and I feel sets a very positive precedent for the future.

Regardless of if any of the cards in this set are good, this is by far their most interestingly designed set, and I feel sets a very positive precedent for the future.

Yeah, they even stepped it up from gadgetzan which I felt was a pretty interesting set due to the triclass cards.

I think a big part of this is due adding new mechanics, which was probably hell (or simply took a long time) to get coded in.

wiibomb

They should play this if you get it wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

I would just concede if that happens... devastating.

it has been incredibly creative to be honest. I've been loving this creativity and the cards so far show promise of not only fitting into different archetypes but also they are creating new ones.

I mean, if the rogue quest is any good, there is a whole new deck there.

Lyng

Definately a step in the right direction. Makes me positive about the furure

Dahbomb

The new cards have definitely been interesting. Let's hope they didn't blow their load early and all the pack fillers are saved towards the end in the major card dump.

IceMarker

I gave a Royal Hunter deck a shot with Year of the Mammoth Standard in mind.

Dz6lPuh.png

My hope is they haven't revealed another Hunter 1-drop yet.

Szadek

Yeah, to put everything Kazakus can do on a card would eclipse the text in even something like that. We are talking about

YGO isn't a digital card game so it has to put EVERYTHING in the card text to avoid rule confusion. If YGO was made into a digital card game with keywords and stuff it would've cut a lot of its text down. We are talking about 3 choice options leading into 29 spell options. That's a lot to print on one card. Not to mention that without Keywords you would also have to explain what Discover does.
As someone who played yugioh semi-competitive, I can tell that the rules in that game are fucked.
Once a new card comes out, every waits for confimation of certian rules. It's insane.

Yugioh is just a terrible game in general, everything from the artwork to the god-awful blobs of tiny text, to the garbo rules to the reprint strategies to the balancing there's a whole encyclopedia out there somewhere of Konami's badness

Ripenen

Yeah, they even stepped it up from gadgetzan which I felt was a pretty interesting set due to the triclass cards.

I think a big part of this is due adding new mechanics, which was probably hell (or simply took a long time) to get coded in.

The coding isn't that bad. It's actually defining how you want the mechanics to work, then testing against all potential use cases that becomes a nightmare. Each of these new mechanics raises a bunch of questions that the designers have to answer, and then each answer in turn brings about new questions. Every change has a ripple effect and that's what can get costly.

Tagyhag

The coding isn't that bad. It's actually defining how you want the mechanics to work, then testing against all potential use cases that becomes a nightmare. Each of these new mechanics raises a bunch of questions that the designers have to answer, and then each answer in turn brings about new questions. Every change has a ripple effect and that's what can get costly.

Yeah imagine how annoying it's going to have to be to test an effect on every single card in like 5 years after 10+ more expansion packs.

Szadek

Yugioh is just a terrible game in general, everything from the artwork to the god-awful blobs of tiny text, to the garbo rules to the reprint strategies to the balancing there's a whole encyclopedia out there somewhere of Konami's badness
True, the game is broken right now , they are rewriting the basic rules to get the powercreep under control.

Dahbomb

Yup. The original fundamentals of YGO are solid (traps, magics, crazy summons, face down cards for mind games) but the game is a far cry from where it started. But Konami successfully Konami'd YGO and now they are trying to stave off the crazy power creep by introducing more complex mechanics...

But really they are printing "new" cards that change the ruleset of the game so that people shell out the money. The game is centered around the company making new cards that either power creep or change the rule so people are forced to buy them. YGO is now essentially a money maker for Konami, they really aren't interested in making a wholesome card game anymore.

Ripenen

Yeah imagine how annoying it's going to have to be to test an effect on every single card in like 5 years after 10+ more expansion packs.

They can (and probably already do) automate that to some extent but yeah, I imagine a lot of their dev time is just spent playtesting and iterating on feedback. Art and programming are probably relatively cheap.

Tagyhag

Oh my god, Soulpriest and Mistress of Pain means instant lose if you attack with Mistress, it's the funniest thing I've seen in HS in a while.

Dahbomb

Main issue with the Hunter quest is that you are going to run out of cards if you don't get that 5 mana card in (Draw 2 1 mana minions).

So you are going to be in top mode hoping you keep top decking those one drops and buy enough time for the quest to activate.

I actually think you might keep that 5 mana card in your opening hand mostly because your deck is going to be filled with 1 drops anyway.

It's also really hard to activate that quest before turn 6-7. But once you do you are favored to win even against control decks.

squidyj

quest kinda makes me want to run starving buzzard

turn 10 with only a raptor in hand topdeck buzzard
play buzzard and 5 raptors end turn with 6 cards

Dahbomb

Probably need some type of card draw anyway.

You have Timberwolf, Alley Cat and Fiery Bat you can use with Starving Buzzard, maybe UTH. What other 1 drop beasts you can use that doesn't suck? You can also use Weasel I guess.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Probably need some type of card draw anyway.

You have Timberwolf, Alley Cat and Fiery Bat you can use with Starving Buzzard, maybe UTH. What other 1 drop beasts you can use that doesn't suck? You can also use Weasel I guess.

There's always the SMOrc boar

squidyj

okay here's what you dp
play a rogue quest deck, burgle the hunter quest from your hunter opponent, complete the hunter quest somehow and use it to complete your rogue quest.

Also in wild you can run Brann for 30 raptors that draw 2 cards each but wild isn't a format so whatever.

bjaelke

Burgle is rotating out and I'm pretty sure Rogue can't get access to another class' quest through the other tricky steal cards. Priest is the only one that can do it thanks to taking cards from the opponent's deck.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Tired of waiting for this new expansion, I decided to buy the last wing of Blackrock Mountain.

Motherfucking Nefarian is the cheapest "boss" I've ever experienced in a game. Doesn't matter what I have or what I do, this piece of shit automatically has the cards it needs for any situation.

bunbun777

Burgle is rotating out and I'm pretty sure Rogue can't get access to another class' quest through the other tricky steal cards. Priest is the only one that can do it thanks to taking cards from the opponent's deck.

Theoretically the new mage secret could copy a quest though that's probably never happening. (Nor would it be easy to fulfill)

V-Faction

If you go full 'Yas Queen' Hunter, you can have your queen out by Turn 6 (if you go first) and by Turn 5 (if you go second) if using just vanilla 1-drops. And dropping raptors upon raptors by the following turn.

With the new Fire Fly elemental, that can be reduced by a turn or 2 depending if you draw one or both of them.

The ever shrinking/expanding pool of 1-drops makes for an interesting concentration of choice selection. Among them you've got healing, damage, defense, murlocs, even weapon denial. There's going to be some obvious picks that need to go in a queen deck over the others that are automatically needed to thread the needle of those Turns 2-5.

I'd really like to know what other one drops there are in store.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, Living Mana + Pilfered Power is a combo that may have potential. It's a two card variation of Onyxia, but 2/2 tokens may be more valuable than an 8/8 and 6 1/1s (The tokens are harder to clear, and there isn't a single body you could remove)

If they can survive the turn, Savage Roar could just win the game on the spot the following turn.

What could make the combo potent is a 2 mana card that helps stall a bit better than Wrath, like some sort of freeze spell.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So, Living Mana + Pilfered Power is a combo that may have potential. It's a two card variation of Onyxia, but 2/2 tokens may be more valuable than an 8/8 and 6 1/1s (The tokens are harder to clear, and there isn't a single body you could remove)

If they can survive the turn, Savage Roar could just win the game on the spot the following turn.

What could make the combo potent is a 2 mana card that helps stall a bit better than Wrath, like some sort of freeze spell.

It's a ten mana combo versus eight mana for wisps of the old gods and mark of the lotus.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been playing a bit of Egg druid in Wild this season...
I could see you playing that 5 mana card that turns your mana into 2/2s. The deck already runs Soul of the Forest. That's about the same deal against most classes that have board sweeps. I could see running 1 of it in that deck. Especially since the list I have atm tops out at 4 mana with Arguses and that. 1 5 mana card would fit in real nice.

Though I can't think of ANY other deck that would want to run that card. It's TERRIBLE in every other archetype.

squidyj

living mana is a garbage card and I havent seen anything to suggest druid will be able to do anything useful with it.
I thought it might have potential before I learned it won't work with temp crystals but its just fucking trash tier.
my first 0/5 of the set

luoapp

So, what is "transform your mana crystal" exactly? It's not "spend your mana". Does one lose mana crystal containers? Say I have 7 mana unused, after I play Living Mana (cost 5), how many mana do I have this turn? how many do I have next turn?

Zoggy

We thought that after wotog and LOE as well, then we got the two worst expansions.

Zoggy

Msog is way better than tgt.
Jade idol and patches tho.

Also, unrelated but that hunter quest is too hard to pull off reliably. They should have said "play 1 mana cards" so hunters mark and on the hunt count towards it as well.

No viable deck can have 10+ 1 drops, unless it's zoo and can lifetap

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Jade idol and patches tho.

Also, unrelated but that hunter quest is too hard to pull off reliably. They should have said "play 1 mana cards" so hunters mark and on the hunt count towards it as well.

No viable deck can have 10+ 1 drops, unless it's zoo and can lifetap

Unleash the hounds would make that problematic.

f0lken

So, what is "transform your mana crystal" exactly? It's not "spend your mana". Does one lose mana crystal containers? Say I have 7 mana unused, after I play Living Mana (cost 5), how many mana do I have this turn? how many do I have next turn?

Lets say is the start of turn 10, you have 2 minions already on the field, you play living mana. You'll have:

Your 2 minions, 5 living mana minions (because you can't transform more mana than free space you have on the field) and 5 unused crystal mana that you cand spend whatever way you like. If everything survives next turn you'll have 6 mana (because you only had 5 free by using living mana)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom