• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You all interested in doing the Hearthstone GAF card vote spreadsheet again? We did pretty well last time and I'm curious to see if that was just a fluke or if we really are amazing at reviewing cards.

If there's interest, I'll start setting it up now and hopefully have it ready to go sometime after all the cards are revealed on Friday.

I'd be down to fill it out again. I looked back and I surprised how close lots of folks were. I had a few that came out pretty wrong. Wrathion and warrior legendary were very far off base for me.

Dahbomb

Yeah we will be doing that again but it will be when they release all the cards so people have a more accurate look at the bigger picture.

Also we will be allowing rating on 0.5 scale now for more accuracy. Maybe even go ahead and just make it out of 10 instead.

cHinzo

I'd be down to fill it out again. I looked back and I surprised how close lots of folks were. I had a few that came out pretty wrong. Wrathion and warrior legendary were very far off base for me.
Wrathion wouldn't have been so bad if it at least had a Dragon tag. 😩

You all interested in doing the Hearthstone GAF card vote spreadsheet again? We did pretty well last time and I'm curious to see if that was just a fluke or if we really are amazing at reviewing cards.

If there's interest, I'll start setting it up now and hopefully have it ready to go sometime after all the cards are revealed on Friday.

Definitely. Also I think it would be nice to have grading be in half steps this time (3, 3.5, 4, etc.). Not sure if anyone else feels that way though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah we will be doing that again but it will be when they release all the cards so people have a more accurate look at the bigger picture.

Also we will be allowing rating on 0.5 scale now for more accuracy. Maybe even go ahead and just make it out of 10 instead.

I'm of two minds when it comes to allowing half-steps on card ratings. I prefer to keep things simple and trying too hard to be accurate on an arbitrary rating can distract from us giving a more nuanced opinion on a card's power, especially for us where we can actually have fairly lengthy discussions on our stream. It was always my intention that the star rating would be a convenience that we could use on the re-review when determining whether somebody should be on blast on not rather than having it actually really mean something.

But I also understand that on our current scale that the 3 star slot is fairly crowded and we talked last time about "high 3s" and "low 3s" and that maybe being able to distinguish between those two would be helpful.

Also moving to an "out of 10" system opens up a whole 'nother can of worms. I'd rather have half-steps on a 5-star system.

gutshot

Definitely. Also I think it would be nice to have grading be in half steps this time (3, 3.5, 4, etc.). Not sure if anyone else feels that way though.

Google doesn't allow fractions in their linear scale but I can set the scale to 1-10? I'll defer to Zealous and Dahbomb on this one, since they were the ones who first started grading on a scale and I just followed their lead.

Butane123

So I wonder as a newish player (By new I mean returning after about a year and a half and loosing my original account) I would do rating cards.

I think assigning a numerical value to a review is rarely useful, but it does allow you to take a snapshot at least. Whether its 1-5 or 1-10, it doesn't change a thing. So I say go for 1-5 to keep it simpler, because if it's just a snapshot it's never going to be nuanced so why try to force it.

Can also probably assume hearthpwn will do 1-5 opinion poll as well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think assigning a numerical value to a review is rarely useful, but it does allow you to take a snapshot at least. Whether its 1-5 or 1-10, it doesn't change a thing. So I say go for 1-5 to keep it simpler, because if it's just a snapshot it's never going to be nuanced so why try to force it.

Can also probably assume hearthpwn will do 1-5 opinion poll as well.

A review of hearthstone cards is always useless. It's just for silly fun.

bunbun777

I can't believe I thought Sally was going to be good.

Just hit 5. Used mostly jade druid and then from 7 to 5 whipped up a dragon warrior deck that is fun.

A review of hearthstone cards is always useless. It's just for silly fun.

What I mean is it doesn't convey much information at all.

I can't believe I thought Sally was going to be good.

Just hit 5. Used mostly jade druid and then from 7 to 5 whipped up a dragon warrior deck that is fun.

I still think sally has potential. Maybe when zoo makes a comeback. Maybe much less now since PO is being rotated though.

It's also possible it finds a place in a hand buff deck still I think.

Google doesn't allow fractions in their linear scale but I can set the scale to 1-10? I'll defer to Zealous and Dahbomb on this one, since they were the ones who first started grading on a scale and I just followed their lead.

Ah okay, didn't realize that. 1-5 works just fine then.

In essence, yes, but it's a perception thing too. I think a lot of people will be reluctant to use a scale from 1-10. Sounds weird but, look at the way gaming reviews often go.

ZealousD

In essence, yes, but it's a perception thing too. I think a lot of people will be reluctant to use a scale from 1-10. Sounds weird but, look at the way gaming reviews often go.

Exactly. On a 10 point scale, an "average" score is a 7. Too much cultural baggage with US school grading that associates 7 with 70% aka a letter grade of C. That's how video game reviews have gotten where they are and why half the scale doesn't even get used.

If you forced me to work on a 10 point scale where 5 was average, I would literally have to internalize it as a 5 star scale with half steps and double my score each time.

Dahbomb

Yeah you guys are right about the grade school rating thing. People would flip out seeing all the 5-6s in the ratings thinking the expansion sucks when that's the average score, not bad score.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think you should only do whole numbers, 1-5

I'd argue it would be better to use 1-4, and force people to decide if they think a card is good or bad.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think you should only do whole numbers, 1-5

I'd argue it would be better to use 1-4, and force people to decide if they think a card is good or bad.

1-4 is actually a REALLY interesting idea. You gotta pick a side good or bad. It's either a 2 or 3. Damn for some cards that would be a TOUGH choice.

ZealousD

I absolutely would never agree to a scale that looks at cards in a binary good/bad sort of way. That's basically what Trump did and his rating scale was a disaster as far as I was concerned.

ZealousD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAaoo_v1To0
Trump revealed a new legendary
6 Mana 6/6
Destroy all cards in your deck that cost 3 or less.

The card text is better than new players will think it is.

However, it also might be worse than "experts" from other card games think it is.

I expect this card will be very polarizing. Personally, I have no idea if this is good or not.

The card text is better than new players will think it is.

However, it also might be worse than "experts" from other card games think it is.

I expect this card will be very polarizing. Personally, I have no idea if this is good or not.
I'd call it bad. What deck actually would want this effect right now? I guess it could be good in ramp druid but even there you'd delete Feral Rage which remains a relevant draw.

Maximo

636262566194514724.png

I guess pirate warrior could play this card afterwards pretty much only direct damage cards would remain in the deck but it'd be a bit expensive.

I kinda like this idea, worth exploring. If you cut the Naga Corsair's your deck would consist entirely of Leroy, Arcanite Reaper, Korkron Elite and Mortal Strike. Forgot Dread Corsair, not a good draw at that point.

Raxus

clearly you run it in hunter quest deck.
play 1-drops for quest, play hemet, play carnissa

Then pray for no AoE and Fatigue?

It is a pretty useless card in standard but in arena it filters things out so your top decks are almost always on curve.

I want to see the rest of the cards before I judge otherwise it is shiiiiiiiiiiit

Dart

Not sure if it's good or not, but I can already tell it will probably be one of the legendaries I pull from the preorder packs...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Curiouser and Curiouser...

When you think about it... it's kind of like Mysterious Challenger but it doesn't put those shitty cards from your deck into play.

I just can't think of a deck that wants to burn ALL its early game cards at some point. It feels a bit like a combo deck enabler, but most combo decks rely on 2/3 mana cards.

The majority of hard removal is 3 or less mana, and I don't think control decks would want to get rid of it. I can't think of any magical hand of cards that costs more than 4 mana you would want, outside of going for some Holy Wrath deck (Which I don't think there is enough card draw to support). You can't play this in a fatigue decks at all ether.

If there was more cards like Ancient Shade, then I could see this being more useful. Play a bunch of cards that litter your deck with negative effects when drawn, than play this to mitigate all those effects.

Now, if this said DISCARD instead of destroy, than this would be crazy in Discard Warlock decks. Maybe something this expansion will have more synergy with this card.

scarlet

Not sure if it's good or not, but I can already tell it will probably be one of the legendaries I pull from the preorder packs...

Yeah, with my luck that could be the only legendary I pull or get more than 1.

*still haunted by beardo, noggenfogger and 2nd patches, my only legendaries from MSG*

Ladekabel

It's better than Hemet's first version, I think.

Orherwise, I don't know about the card. Might be good in a control matchup to make it easier to draw your bigger threats but it brings you closer to fatigue. Also might be interesting in Arena if you're drawing your Gadgetzaan Jousters and Loely Squires while your opponent gets his Bog Creepers and Krakens. Interesting card, though.

Raxus

I love how weird this expansion is. They've stepped up their design game.

Shhhh....nobody tell him a good chunk of it is based on discover.

Though I can't complain. Discover is by far the best game mechanic they introduced into the game to date.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really, really like that card from a design PoV. Really can't tell if it's good or not but I'm glad it exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom