• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

wiibomb

I'm sure everyone in the GAF thread are top 10 legend every month but it's nice to know I could do it, especially when I have no card game experience outside of HS

I hardly touch ranked mode, I hate it.

Anyway, congrats, getting to legend is an amazing thing in HS. I consider it the "ending" of the game.

I'm sure everyone in the GAF thread are top 10 legend every month but it's nice to know I could do it, especially when I have no card game experience outside of HS

I never get higher than rank 14 and I try hard every month (about three games a day).

You're way better than me!

Cockmagic

Neo Member
I'm surprised at that to be honest. All the high health minions make it easy to get value out of. I've been doing extremely well with the deck and the majority of the time just making a 6/6 cleric or something similar is enough to get ahead and stay ahead.

That said I'm just starting to play again after hiatus so I've done most of my work in the teens (sitting at 11 now). Still though, I think the Divine Spirit/Inner Fire + Dragon Priest combos is extremely potent.

Works pretty well at rank 2 as well. Gives you more punch, allows you to be proactive rather than reactive.

TankUP

Today was the day I finally became legendary. I've been playing since about 2 months after release but quit for about a year after GVG. Most months I hit rank 5 and cash out but last month was my first month trying for legend. I got up to Rank 1 but got busted down to Rank 3 on super tilt. This month I was on vacation in France so I did not think I would get anywhere close, but I went on a 9 game win streak from 3 to 1, and after bouncing up and down from 1 to 2, i finally strung enough games together today to pull it off. I will not never attempt it again as the stress is too great for such a little pay off.

Feelsgoodman MonkaS

Hey Congrats! The vast, vast majority of active players will never do what you did, so don't let anyone denigrate your achievement. You need to play well and and have mental fortitude for an extended period of time to do it. I've been playing since December 2014 and the closest I've gotten is rank 3 with full stars.

Gonna make another run in July because I have a week off at the end of the month.

Blizzard

Banned
The most ridiculous non-patches brawl game I had was Ravaging Ghoul Warrior vs. Power Word: Glory Priest.

I got some 5-attack minions and figured they would damage for 5 and heal for 4, but a few times I missed that the Priest had been sneaky and double-buffed so they would heal for 8.

Eventually he ran out of glory cards and I had 70-80 health and armor combined, so I won.

wiibomb

I just won a brawl with patches against a PW:Glory priest.

got wise and didn't play a patches, waited for my random cards and got dynomancy, played and waited for a beast, then I got savanna highmane, then it was just a dead priest walking

That's like the 2nd time I've ever seen him get that mad.

There's a famous MtG game where Kibler is playing vs. someone playing a deck called "Eggs". Eggs was a deck notorious for super long combo turns, kinda like Grim Patron without the per turn time limit. Kibler scribbles "f6" (the MtGO command for "pass priority") on a piece of paper and goes to the bathroom.

patchday

who you guys vote for yer champion? I want to go with some random dude this time like maybe "Mage" or "Ant".

really tempted to vote Kolento tho cause I have enjoyed success with his decks in past

This type of reaction usually doesn't happen before a card is nerfed.

When you play against a card that you KNOW FOR SURE is getting nerfed it is especially frustrating. Like you don't even want to play the game until the card is nerfed.

Like when Buccaneer was to be nerfed, we still had to wait for the nerf to come out so that time period was excruciating as all the Pirate Warriors were trying to get the last hurrah in, spamming the deck.

Yeah I spammed Buccaneer so hard in my PW & Pirate rogue decks I miss him ;(

For me when a nerf is announced I'm like, "Oh crap I better play the deck before its anniliated'.

so happy Crystal core getting nerfed. I hate playing the deck but I might hop on the game at some point and give it a last whirl before I refund for my full dust after it finally gets axed. thank God that was an awful deck to fight against. Vanish was total BS. plz die in a fire. Granted, pirate warrior sux too and this coming from a PW bandwagon player that was my deck too before going murloc Paladin

TankUP

who you guys vote for yer champion? I want to go with some random dude this time like maybe "Mage" or "Ant".

I went Muzzy, I would have voted Mage but I've had success voting for NA players and I want to keep the streak alive. (went Amnesiac and then Fr0zen).

There's a famous MtG game where Kibler is playing vs. someone playing a deck called "Eggs". Eggs was a deck notorious for super long combo turns, kinda like Grim Patron without the per turn time limit. Kibler scribbles "f6" (the MtGO command for "pass priority") on a piece of paper and goes to the bathroom.
The terrible part about eggs is that it has a chance of whiffing despite taking a 15 minute turn.

When playing Nourish without Fandral, do you ever pick the mana? I rarely play on curve so I almost always pick the card draw.

And if you pick the mana at 5, next turn you'll have 8 instead of 6 mana, which doesn't seem like a huge difference. Aya/Behemoth plus HP? Auctioneer plus another spell?

Hycran

Banned
Hey Congrats! The vast, vast majority of active players will never do what you did, so don't let anyone denigrate your achievement. You need to play well and and have mental fortitude for an extended period of time to do it. I've been playing since December 2014 and the closest I've gotten is rank 3 with full stars.

Gonna make another run in July because I have a week off at the end of the month.

I'll post the decklist I used for most of the month. Mage really is the strongest class and I would sub in ancestors call shaman when i hit a new ranked floor just to mix things up. It's not cheap but its not too pricey and results speak for themselves.

1 x Babbling Book
2 x Mana Wyrm
2 x Arcanologist
1 x Doomsayer
2 x Frostbolt
2 x Medivh's Valet
2 x Primordial Glyph
2 x Acolyte of Pain
2 x Arcane Intellect
1 x Counterspell
2 x Ice Block
1 x Volcanic Potion
1 x Eater of Secrets
2 x Fireball
1 x Meteor
2 x Firelands Portal
1 x Flame Strike
1 x Medivh
1 x Alex
1 x Pyro

While ranking up I actually had two cabal couriers in place of the acolytes but I found that acolyte tends to do more damage and is more of a nuisance. A lot of tech choices can be made in the deck as well such as slapping another doomsayer, meteor or volcanic potion for the other babbling book, or subbing in a babbling book or bloodmage thalnos. One card I would definitely NOT sub out is counterspell. There were plenty of times where I pretended to play all hesitantly and threw the secret out last second on turn 5, indicating it was a naff secret, only for a shaman to slam bloodlust and immediately get wrecked. Eater of secrets is absolutely key as well as you wont beat other mages without it, and it works well against the other secret classes (priest and rogue included)

Tacitus_

Try explaining 4 horsemen to Hearthstone players.

The-Four-HorsePEOPLE.jpg

?

Mulgrok

I got clost to rank 5, but then went on a 15 game losing streak. So I switched to hunter and shot straight to 5 with 70% win rate. Flare sure helps against the flood of mages.

patchday

I went Muzzy, I would have voted Mage but I've had success voting for NA players and I want to keep the streak alive. (went Amnesiac and then Fr0zen).

Hm but reddit is going Muzzy which has me nervous. usually reddit curses whoever they vote for

wiibomb

I got curious about those infinite decks you are talking about in MtG. Don't know anything about it.

given how long that game has been running, it is only natural to see the game having such an enormous amount of cards that can potentially bust anything

It's a combo deck in Magic that requires shuffling the deck over and over until you hit a particular order of cards which may or may not happen ever, as in dying of starvation or old age. Because it's an incredible hassle it's banned from tournament play.
it's just an infinite loop. well two infinite loops. One of which is unpredictable.

Infinite loops are dumb.
It's an infinite loop you can't shortcut and as such may never be completed in time allotted to a round of magic. It also does not progress the boardstates in any way and as such is slow play.
I got curious about those infinite decks you are talking about in MtG. Don't know anything about it.

given how long that game has been running, it is only natural to see the game having such an enormous amount of cards that can potentially bust anything
You should look up Aluren, Oops all spells, charbelcher and manaless dredge.

Magnus

Christ, I just added up how much I've spent on Hearthstone from the history section on my Battle.net account.

Good lord. I thought I'd spent a third of that.

Oh man. lol

TankUP

When is the nerf taking place? They never said a date did they?

I'd put money on July 11th. It won't change until after Shanghai because those players already submitted decks, and that's the first Tuesday after Shanghai. They will also likely be doing a patch anyway on the 10th or 11th to add the preorder for the new set they are announcing that weekend.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I had internet issues last night, and Dahbomb told me he's having issues with internet today.

We may or may not launch our re-review stream tonight. I'll try and keep you guys posted.

Dahbomb

My Internet is actually fixed now (earlier than expected) but I have to pick up my sister from airport around 8 so I won't be free until 9 anyway.

patchday

So I had internet issues last night, and Dahbomb told me he's having issues with internet today.

We may or may not launch our re-review stream tonight. I'll try and keep you guys posted.

what time this going down? I really like your 'pros got it wrong'. But we gotta do this clean

Hey wait a sec- yall remember you said (dahbomb) that i was gonna put on blast for screaming that dEvolve was gonna ruin our day?? Well.... I was right wasn't I?

Not trying to gloat or anything. Oh wait a sec-- Devolve was like last expac. Man I'm out of it.

Anyways what time is the steam is my question. I might have to catch the youtube tho

edit: To get prepared for upcoming re-review, I am going to watch the ungoro card review material now
* shiii these are long, vid 1 is 2 hours. Anyway we can summarize these or get the lengths down? Been meaning to bring that up
edit- Nvm, I forgot Youtube has a speed up option this works

Dahbomb

I don't remember being on blast for Devolve, I am pretty sure I rated the card appropriately for its time.

This expansion though there will be lots of opportunity for blasts on me so people can have a field day shaming us.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there some sort of RNG bias for Medivh and/or Firelands Portal? I think I've seen a legendary generated literally 3 out of 4 of the last times those effects have activated against me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Christ, I just added up how much I've spent on Hearthstone from the history section on my Battle.net account.

Good lord. I thought I'd spent a third of that.

Oh man. lol

I've only spent 7 bucks.

Did get Karazhan and the Welcome Bundle from some free Amazon credit promotion or something

patchday

I don't remember being on blast for Devolve, I am pretty sure I rated the card appropriately for its time.

This expansion though there will be lots of opportunity for blasts on me so people can have a field day shaming us.

damn I feel bad for bringing that old crap up now my bad lol.

what you guys do is tough sticking yer neck out there and making predictions on what will be viable. Casuals like me just sit around and just rate cards based on fun factor (and vice versa- I rate cards that will make the game unfun for me if played against me)

Hey guys, we'll probably be starting the re-review stream in 10-15 minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/zealousdemon

yeah will probably have to catch the youtube cause just getting back home

[edit] Still tuning in right now. might have to go afk in a bit tho

Dahbomb

You should announce these things like a week in advance. I am in a hotel in Florida.

Also, IMO a re-review isn't very interesting. We all know the meta by now, yah?
LOL you were gonna change your moving plans based on our re-review stream? :p

It's not really a re-review, more like how right/wrong we were originally. And then we put each other on blast for it.

wiibomb

LOL you were gonna change your moving plans based on our re-review stream? :p

It's not really a re-review, more like how right/wrong we were originally. And then we put each other on blast for it.

He would probably wouldn't change that, but at least others would know there is an upcoming stream. I mean, I just found out you were streaming.

There is a reason why people announce this things for a set time on a set date, i could have put it on schedule like I did with today's Q&A

patchday

next time will have to participate in gaf voting for cards although I'd prefer to grade cards based on fun factor. Maybe we can add a scoring category for folks like me but idk

new expac will get here soon I hope and we can start talking bout new cards. I've kinda been in a holding pattern playing other games trying to clear through my backlog before new expac drops and sucks me back in

Blizzard

Banned
Yo what's wrong with you guys? Nobody watching this stream right now. T_T

https://www.twitch.tv/zealousdemon

We're taking a short 10 minute break as I type this but we'll be back after that
I hope this isn't rude, but my personal feelings:

• I feel like I've seen tons of posts from you or Dahbomb advertising these sorts of streams or videos off and on. It sort of sticks out from the normal thread posts.
  • Maybe you still play a lot, but as far as I know Dahbomb stopped playing quite some time ago, so it's especially odd (to me) to see commentary from them about things.
  • A re-review seems kind of weird as mentioned above -- as a player, I sort of know the meta now, and don't personally care much about who was right or wrong months ago. I'm much more interested in meta changes or future possibilities instead.
I don't know about everyone else, but that's why it gives me weird vibes and I decide not to tune in.

Dahbomb

I haven't played much HS in the last month but I played a ton when the expansion was out in the first couple of months, even in a couple of local tournaments. I think you generally get an idea of how good/bad a card is within that time frame, in fact that's why I stopped because I felt like I figured out where the meta was heading for the most part.

I definitely plan to start back up with the next expansion though.

Today was definitely hella spotty on my end on the voice call. My internet is to blame, I have been contacting my ISP for a good part of the month. Today they actually sent in maintenance guys to do some rewiring but after they left it felt like it was in worst shape than before they started work on it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
He would probably wouldn't change that, but at least others would know there is an upcoming stream. I mean, I just found out you were streaming.

There is a reason why people announce this things for a set time on a set date, i could have put it on schedule like I did with today's Q&A

Yeah if Dahbomb and I actually were looking to get a whole bunch of viewers we probably would schedule beforehand. But we tend to play by ear and just try and get these done when we can, because we both have lives we have to schedule around ourselves. Plus we don't even know how long it will take us to do any review.

Dahbomb

Yeah last time we had stated a date and time for the review but there was an issue that came up last minute so we had to cancel. Someone here got pretty mad and started calling us unprofessional over it. I mean we definitely are not professionals here, just two random internet dudes doing this for fun.

So we just have to do it when we have the time to do it. We were supposed to do this yesterday but something came up and had to reschedule. That's just how it is, so apologies for any inconveniences.

Top Bottom