• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

sibarraz

Banned
Is jade druid an issue now? I thought that it was a tier 3 deck at best, unlike it has the same issue than caverns below were it really destroys control decks

wiibomb

They will just rotate out Ice Block (along with Gadgetzan) next year when they've finished building up a significant card pool by having three expansions in a row.

They were pretty clear about those having been on the radar, but getting delayed rotations due to not having enough cards to enable combo decks without them at the time.

I don't think they ever mentioned Ice Block.

I the last interview I saw they were heavily implying auctioneer will rotate, and that they were thinking about alexstrasza, but they were not sure about alex because it enabled several different decks and a different kind of play.

Move EVERYTHING to the Hall of Fame! It sounds great to me! :-D Just a bunch of free dust and it doesn't affect my play.

I'm not sure I agree with this. So much of mage right now is based on Ice Block that if you took it away or severely limited it, the class may completely crumble. I don't usually advocate for this kind of "fix," but I think I'd prefer a Golakka Crawler-style tweak. Eater of Secrets is just too gimped in off matchups. A 2-3 for three that destroys enemy secrets would be better -- maybe even just one enemy secret, so that it wouldn't be too good.

It is far more harsh to hurt Ice Block by making Eater of Secrets good in most decks than to make Ice Block a legendary.

Pooya

Jade druid is going to be an issue. It's only beatable by control if they draw poorly, don't get any nourish or ramp and just pass a bunch of turns, that doesn't happen often enough. Jade druid is actually not bad against face decks like pirate warrior now, you have the best healing in the game as in how flexible those healing cards unlike other classes, it's bad against tokens and decks that go wide very fast or miracle rogue with high tempo and even that is very close. I don't think there are enough ways to beat jade druid for it to be healthy going forward. Maybe it's fine now but with more cards added to the game, jade druid is just going to get better. Like how the new dragon or earthen scale made their way to the deck and other decks can possibly suppress the decks jade druid is weak to, rogue is very weak to mage which is top tier in the game and all the control decks they're pushing with quest rogue nerf suppress the tokens so it's possible that jade druid could be the best deck as it doesn't have unwinnable games, with the right hand it can beat anything. If they nerf it though I feel there is not enough ways to counter control in the game right now, that could be really bad. We have to see what new set has, it's not simple to say what they should do. You could argue for the sake of variety and people just being sick of seeing jade druid they should change it, in the case I agree... the nerf should be just make jade idol cost 2, that kills all the auctioneer stuff and it won't be any good.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel if we had better anti secret tech, ice block prolly won't that much problematic.. I'll hold out thought rotating it soon before we see gluttonous ooze for secret ot not in new released cards.

they never mentioning ice block.

Eater of secrets is fine as it is.

The problem is nobody is playing Pally. So that leaves some random Hunters and then Freeze mage.

So if you tech for secrets and end up playing Quest Warrior, Miracle Rogue, or Jade Druid you are SOL.

Pooya

Eater of secrets is fine as it is.

The problem is nobody is playing Pally. So that leaves some random Hunters and then Freeze mage.

So if you tech for secrets and end up playing Quest Warrior, Miracle Rogue, or Jade Druid you are SOL.

It's not... If you look at the text, most of it is irrelevant against iceblock. Who cares about it gaining stats or destroying ALL secrets. You just want to destroy one secret. You're overpaying a lot for the card's effect which you have no use for. Let's say if we have a 2 mana 3/2 destroy a single secret, it wouldn't be that bad to draw it in games you have no use for the text. Eater of secrets was made to counter MC and failed at even that, of course it's even more awful against mage and iceblock.

Currently enjoying this nonsense. Unique and fun. Can win a few.

42Ba0Sg.png

Deck Code: AAECAYO6AgTtBZ20ApG8Asm/Ag20AfsBjALNA5sF9waIB+0I+wyStgL5uwKQvAL3vQIA

Vanillalite

It's not... If you look at the text, most of it is irrelevant against iceblock. Who cares about it gaining stats or destroying ALL secrets. You just want to destroy one secret. You're overpaying a lot for the card's effect which you have no use for. Let's say if we have a 2 mana 3/2 destroy a single secret, it wouldn't be that bad to draw it in games you have no use for the text. Eater of secrets was made to counter MC and failed at even that, of course it's even more awful against mage and iceblock.

It's an anti secret card though.

This plays into it's more an issue of iceblock in and of itself being more OP than other secrets.

The only issue EOS has is it's 2/4 body is hella bad at trades. It's fine as a general anti secret card though.

The bigger issue is you can't reliably draw 2 of them in the same match compared to mage reliably stacking iceblock. So you might decide to hold the card till you have leathal to play. That makes the card dead in your hand till that scenario though.

Again more to do with ice block being OP. It's the only card you'd need to actively hold EOS vs just playing it to clear out the secrets immediately.

wild pyromancer/acolyte jade can make token decks cry tho. i use mine like that with mark of the wilds as well so i can rock some good early game AOE

fertygo

Nah Eater of Secret is very bad, almost no deck could afford put it in the deck to just counter one class

EoS ironically most popular in mage itself, because they can afford one bad card in their stall, draw, burn gameplan

Hycran

Banned
Nah Eater of Secret is very bad, almost no deck could afford put it in the deck to just counter one class

EoS ironically most popular in mage itself, because they can afford one bad card in their stall, draw, burn gameplan

The hard tech cards may be poor design in a vacuum, but its always good to have them just to check people from time to time and not let things get too out of control. In theory, there are not only 3 classes that have secrets (Pal, Mage, Hunt) but there are a number of other classes that can also get them (Rogue from stealing, Priest from Stealing, etc) so it isnt even a dead draw against the three main classes.

If you think EoS is bad, then that must also mean harrison jones and the oozes are bad (which of course they arent but they are more competitively statted). I run harrison in most of my decks nowadays just to take out atiesh, which is always a feelsgoodman.

fertygo

If you think EoS is bad, then that must also mean harrison jones and the oozes are bad (which of course they arent but they are more competitively statted). I run harrison in most of my decks nowadays just to take out atiesh, which is always a feelsgoodman.

I mean that's the complaint right

dropping harrison or any of ooze without effect is far better than EoS

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The only reason anybody techs against secrets is Ice Block. Just one more reason to rotate that card. If they don't, they'll be pressured to print new secret tech cards every two years.

Vanillalite

The only reason anybody techs against secrets is Ice Block. Just one more reason to rotate that card. If they don't, they'll be pressured to print new secret tech cards every two years.

That's the thing.

It's more about ice block and less about eater.

fertygo

Not neccessarily.. as long arcanologist exist.. aggressive mage will abuse secret.. and if they want print better secret card e better had better tech tool against it.

Current aggro secret mage not even run ice block

I have like five IB , blizzard pls nerf.

I disagree that you can change IB w/o crushing the mage class (which maybe you want,) but I also disagree even more with them nerfing it. Cards that are pivotal and significant like IB and Auctioneer (along with Warsong Commander and Molten Giant previously) should be moved to the Hall of Fame instead of nerfed. Taking away an entire gameplay style and deck, never to be playable again, is just a bad move, IMO. Let people continue to relive the memories in Wild, at least.

Plus, you still get your refunds when they go to the HoF. :p

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not asking for much, just for one or two cards to be moved to the Hall of Fame.

• Ice Block
  • Alex The Dragon
  • Primordial Glyph
  • Shadow Visions
  • Taunt Discover Turtle
  • Evolve

If I get those, I'll let you also move Innervate to the Hall of Fame if you like. I might also add Frost Bolt, Pyroblast, and Blizzard, but that's asking for too much. :p

I'm not asking for much, just for one or two cards to be moved to the Hall of Fame.

• Ice Block
  • Alex The Dragon
  • Primordial Glyph
  • Shadow Visions
  • Taunt Discover Turtle
  • Evolve

If I get those, I'll let you also move Innervate to the Hall of Fame if you like. I might also add Frost Bolt, Pyroblast, and Blizzard, but that's asking for too much. :p

You must just really, really hate mage, lol.

Xanathus

That feel when you can't play anymore because you have a 40 gold quest about to be completed if you just play one more minion 5 cost and above.

wiibomb

for me, only gadgetzan auctioneer might need to be moved to the hall, and even then I'm not sure if that is ok, give that this card enables rogues, without it rogue is kind of dead as a whole. like warlock without any healing in the current meta.

Ice Block? I don't see that as a card to move. it is infuriating to see a mage play 4 of those, but tbh, I don't see that as bad.

you guys just want a perfectly linear game in HS, no variables at all.

Blizzard

Banned
You must just really, really hate mage, lol.
Yep! I liked when I looked at one of the most recent meta reports and it was just "Tier 1: [one or two mage decks]" at legendary level. Not a single other class.

I'm being silly of course, but mage was one of the first classes I ever played. I made my own freeze mage deck without knowing what freeze mage was, and I enjoyed mindlessly winning despite my bad cards and lack of strategy, and how the opponent couldn't actually do anything because my cards disabled them. Since then, particularly with the addition of glyph and arcanologist, I have come to loathe the class.

Pooya

That feel when you can't play anymore because you have a 40 gold quest about to be completed if you just play one more minion 5 cost and above.

I'm getting only 40g quest even after re rolling for most of this event. Maybe 50g at times...

• Ice Block
  • Alex The Dragon
  • Primordial Glyph
  • Shadow Visions
  • Taunt Discover Turtle
  • Evolve

Evolve rotates out next year anyway.

Stonehill defender will be balanced later this year when they add horrible paladin taunts to the game. I feel it's fine in warrior. In shaman maybe it is above average but it's no where near paladin. They balanced murloc knight the same way, the card was the only inspire card seeing play in TGT, then they added trash murlocs in the next two sets...

fertygo

I disagree that you can change IB w/o crushing the mage class (which maybe you want,) but I also disagree even more with them nerfing it. Cards that are pivotal and significant like IB and Auctioneer (along with Warsong Commander and Molten Giant previously) should be moved to the Hall of Fame instead of nerfed. Taking away an entire gameplay style and deck, never to be playable again, is just a bad move, IMO. Let people continue to relive the memories in Wild, at least.

Plus, you still get your refunds when they go to the HoF. :p
Its kinda nonsense thinking moving ice block is destroying the class tho

Card quality that the class had still insane.. and there still a lot play you can do as mage to imigate tempo without ice block

Hybris

• Ice Block
  • Alex The Dragon
  • Primordial Glyph
  • Shadow Visions
  • Taunt Discover Turtle
  • Evolve

Well they aren't going to hall of fame cards that came out in the current expansion. And I wouldn't say evolve is worthy of hall of fame status since it wasn't used in any competitive deck for quite some time. Ice block and Alex? Yeah those are reasonable candidates, but I think if you remove one, the other becomes significantly less powerful. I think Alex's effect is unique enough to warrant keeping in Standard. Ice block can go kick rocks

Blizzard

Banned
Evolve rotates out next year anyway.

Stonehill defender will be balanced later this year when they add horrible paladin taunts to the game. I feel it's fine in warrior. In shaman maybe it is above average but it's no where near paladin. They balanced murloc knight the same way, the card was the only inspire card seeing play in TGT, then they added trash murlocs in the next two sets...
This is actually a very level-headed analysis. Yes, if I'm being serious, Stonehill Defender is only really an issue because it can discover legendaries in the Paladin case. I suppose crap Paladin taunts would help.

I'd still prefer a blanket "You cannot discover legendaries" game ban, but I'll take what I can get.

stonehill defender is so great for poor players though. and HS is practically impossible for new people to get into. think about this before you join the public hate train on reddit. it's good for the community.

Pooya

The way mage plays now it's just not healthy. They're the only class that can ignore board state, that's just BS. I had this mage just throwing burn in my face since turn 5 and he won. His entire hand was burn and nothing I could do would have mattered in that game even my little healing I could possibly draw. Just fireball face, portal portal both face, frost bolt face, pyro face, didn't even need alex. Most classes just can't heal out of that ever. You have to heal and pop the block if your board is not frozen that is just not realistic without a way to get rid of block. Most of the time mage wins the race since they don't have to worry about your board but you have to trade in theirs. It's complete BS.

If they're not touching ice block, at least they can put mana wyrm into hall of fame. How come mage has a ever green OP 1 drop in classic set forever when no one else has? Mana Wyrm is going to see play in most mage decks as long as it's around.

Blizzard

Banned
stonehill defender is so great for poor players though. and HS is practically impossible for new people to get into. think about this before you join the public hate train on reddit. it's good for the community.
That's a good point. However, when I think about the poor people, I think maybe Blizzard should always have given double gold for packs, instead of just this one event. I think maybe Blizzard should always have login bonuses, instead of just certain events. I think maybe Blizzard shouldn't print so many legendaries in Un'goro, many of which are required to even experiment with a certain deck archetype. I think maybe Blizzard shouldn't have so many epic cards that are so expensive and basically required for some of the more powerful decks.

If all of the above causes Blizzard to lose money and go bankrupt, then I guess the poor people are sadly going to keep struggling. I can't recommend the game to someone new in its current state because of the crazy number of expensive cards.

Oh, and I think Blizzard shouldn't be increasing the mercy timer on legendaries without telling anyone, since that's apparently happened and should be getting more attention.

fertygo

The way mage plays now it's just not healthy. They're the only class that can ignore board state, that's just BS. I had this mage just throwing burn in my face since turn 5 and he won. His entire hand was burn and nothing I could do would have mattered in that game even my little healing I could possibly draw. Just fireball face, portal portal both face, frost bolt face, pyro face. Most classes just can't heal out of that ever. You have to heal and pop the block if your board is not frozen that is just not realistic without a way to get rid of block. Most of the time mage wins the race since they don't have to worry about your board but you have to trade in theirs. It's complete BS.
To be honest these kind of burn mage as long they cannot OTK, Its allow heal deck to prey.. burn mage is one of reason control pally and priest get popular recently I'm not sure what slow deck that consistenly beat aside shaman tbh

This burn mage deck prey on midrange/aggros

If you ask me there is enough deck that can overheal from mage burn.. and maybe there will be more if those hero and lifesteal card any good

Acerac

Banned
The meta being so centered around mage helped me get to legend last season. When everybody else's options are so subpar suddenly flare feels a lot more powerful.

• Ice Block
  • Alex The Dragon
  • Primordial Glyph
  • Shadow Visions
  • Taunt Discover Turtle
  • Evolve

I'm all for getting rid of Ice Block and Alex, they've been around too long.

inky

You guys and your HoF Innervate non-sense. All the fucking time.

Might as well do Fiery War Axe and Frostball and Evisc, and etc etc.

Edit:
and no, I'm not listing them in terms of similar card effects, I'm talking about staples. I understand burn/weapons are not the same as mana acceleration cards tyvm. It's not only about class identity, it's also about class downsides and how Innervate and other similar cards are balanced vs Druid weaknesses, which are plenty (removal anyone?). We've had this discussion a million times already. but I guess if people keep crying about it, it will happen at some point. Well, maybe not until Kibler does it

inky

innervate is the most powerful card in Hearthstone by far.

And? Even if that were quantifiably true (which I'm still not convinced it is) it has never, by itself or in conjunction with certain cards, made Druid the most powerful class or deck every expansion (you could say barely any expansion, and hardly down to the card itself), despite spurious claims to the contrary. As a class staple card, it has never had an effect greater to that of other such cards on ladder or arena, and that "most powerful card by far" label has never manifested itself to unbalanced winrate percentages to the degree other cards and deck archetypes have since the game was launched.

At most, it makes certain Innervate plays very good at certain times, with the obvious, widely ignored downside that it can also be a dead card in plenty of other times, and that by design, using it conveys a certain risk playing into the class inherent weaknesses.

There's probably an argument to be made that it shouldn't allow you to go over 10 mana, but even then I'm not too bothered by that.

And? Even if that were quantifiably true (which I'm still not convinced it is) it has never, by itself or in conjunction with certain cards, made Druid the most powerful class or deck every expansion (you could say barely any expansion, and hardly down to the card itself), despite spurious claims to the contrary. As a class staple card, it has never had an effect greater to that of other such cards on ladder or arena, and that "most powerful card by far" label has never manifested itself to unbalanced winrate percentages to the degree other cards and deck archetypes have since the game was launched.

At most, it makes certain Innervate plays very good at certain times, with the obvious, widely ignored downside that it can also be a dead card in plenty of other times, and that by design, using it conveys a certain risk playing into the class inherent weaknesses.

There's probably an argument to be made that it shouldn't allow you to go over 10 mana, but even then I'm not too bothered by that.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Innervate is really only an issue when combined with Auctioneer, and even that is only since the introduction of Jade Idol.

Innervating out big cards early on is pretty much an all-in gamble. If your opponent can deal with it, you pretty much lose. That makes sense to me.

Thinking about it, I still haven't seen a video of a turn one Bittertide Hydra yet. I think against the right class, that would be devastating.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh cool, looks like we've reached the Nerf/Rotate Every Good Card portion of the thread again. Good times.

I'm not sure if I even care about Jade cards becoming elementals. I added a full Jade set to my Elemental Shaman and it doesn't feel significantly better. I might just go back to my previous formulation, but I'm curious what others think.

Top Bottom