• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Pooya

brawl is a terribly designed card, they have been giving warrior direct damage clears instead, that's healthy. don't need brawl anymore.

You also don't want control warrior forever in standard anyway. Yeah, it's prime example of a card that shouldn't be ever green.

The issue with aggressive warrior is another matter which will be removed by rotation of pirates. Control warrior has been around since beta. You can still have controlling warriors without brawl. Just like how handlock operates without molten, or rogues without flurry. It's exactly within lines of things that they would remove.

In any case, warrior being tier 1 in every meta in every year needs to be addressed. Their core cards are just better than anyone else and they have not been hit with any real nerfs or rotations so far. Only execute nerf was meaningful.

wiibomb

there are some pretty bad suggestions in this thread about which cards to move to HoF..

it is little to do with plain powerful cards, it has to do with them being unjust, auctioneer is quite unjust.

I don't see ice block as unjust. leeroy can feel that way, though.

TheChaos0

I personally haven't played since the new expansion hit but I've been watching my friend play from time to time. It must have been his luck but 99% of his games were the Mage OTK Quest deck or the giants variant or Rogue Quest deck. Neither of these seemed fun to play against at all. Mage one maybe not that bad, pretty comparable to the old Worgen OTK the only difference is, if you got your combo in your hand you've won, opponent's state of the board doesn't matter (aside from say Ice Block).

Now the Rogue deck is well, doesn't seem fair at all, how are you supposed to counter that, aside from praying that the player doesn't have the combo pieces that are pretty easy to get (one game I saw, the Rogue got it by turn 3)?

Surely there has to be something more interesting in the meta?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The meta is very diverse right now and everything for the most part has counters to keep them in check.

Paladin feels like the most dangerous deck because its counter is weak to most other decks (elemental shaman).

Quest rogue can bite me though. Unfun matchup. Same for quest warrior. Rather play against pirate.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
you ever have those times where you run into a hard counter for your deck over and over and over?

I just beat a N'Zoth Reno Quest Priest with Secret Mage. I didn't think it could happen after those first few turns, but being patient with my Counterspells to first counter a Dragonfire Potion and then a Lightbomb let me burn through over 100 health throughout the duration of that game.

I'd be shocked if they didn't rotate Auctioneer, Leeroy, and Ice Block next year.

As for Alexstraza, I'd rather see them change the card so it sets HP to 20 instead of 15, rather than rotating it.

Brawl is totally fine.

gutshot

After replacing the ghoul with a cultist, I played 5 more games. 0-5 at rank 15, 0 stars.

Here are 4/5 of the replays. I don't think any of these were winnable but maybe someone can correct me, once again.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/SNtgEbwjejReKza6NtnLaV
https://hsreplay.net/replay/PYPXMWXv88Jcyc29joEJNk
https://hsreplay.net/replay/ZLPYhgcECGUFFqnVq4Exyb
https://hsreplay.net/replay/eKoFxbTXzSszuXbuvh6DrQ

I couldn't post the other replay because the client glitched and reported it as 0 minutes. That one was against an aggro druid who got an early addled grizzly protected by a taunt. I think that game I had maybe 1 weapon in the first 9+ cards and couldn't kill the taunt before the druid had a massive board of buffed enemies.

You are hero powering way, way too much. As Pirate Warrior, you pretty much never want to hero power unless you have literally nothing else to spend your mana on.

You are also making a very common mistake for a lot of new players and that is holding onto cards to get a higher value play instead of just playing them for tempo. In some decks and some matchups, this is correct, but it's almost never correct with this deck. You have to curve out. Don't be afraid to drop Bloodsail Cultist on turn 3 even if you can't benefit from its battlecry.

Speaking of curving out, you want to make sure you are planning out your early turns. For example, in the last game, you play N'Zoth + Coin + Southsea Deckhand on turn 1. That's a strong opening turn but with no 2-drop in hand, you have no follow up play. You end up hero powering on turn 2, which is disastrous. I think a better curve would have been playing N'Zoth on 1 and coining Bloodsail Cultist on turn 2. Then on 3 you can Deckhand + Upgrade for a lot of damage or, assuming his Patches is still on board, Upgrade + Crawler his Patches. Point is, you want to curve out and not have to hero power pass on any of the early turns.

These mistakes seem to point to a key factor you are missing with this Pirate Warrior deck. You are playing it like it is a midrange or control deck, trying to maximize value. You need to play it very aggressively and push the tempo on every single turn.

FeD.nL

Going over the Lil' Rag skin in HotS really made wonder when
if
we're getting a Hearthstone Toon World expansion. Lil' Rag and KT already exist. Just make Lil' versions of all the vanilla heroes as class legendaries and design some fun mechanics and you have a set.

Blizzard

Banned
You are hero powering way, way too much. As Pirate Warrior, you pretty much never want to hero power unless you have literally nothing else to spend your mana on.

You are also making a very common mistake for a lot of new players and that is holding onto cards to get a higher value play instead of just playing them for tempo. In some decks and some matchups, this is correct, but it's almost never correct with this deck. You have to curve out. Don't be afraid to drop Bloodsail Cultist on turn 3 even if you can't benefit from its battlecry.

Speaking of curving out, you want to make sure you are planning out your early turns. For example, in the last game, you play N'Zoth + Coin + Southsea Deckhand on turn 1. That's a strong opening turn but with no 2-drop in hand, you have no follow up play. You end up hero powering on turn 2, which is disastrous. I think a better curve would have been playing N'Zoth on 1 and coining Bloodsail Cultist on turn 2. Then on 3 you can Deckhand + Upgrade for a lot of damage or, assuming his Patches is still on board, Upgrade + Crawler his Patches. Point is, you want to curve out and not have to hero power pass on any of the early turns.

These mistakes seem to point to a key factor you are missing with this Pirate Warrior deck. You are playing it like it is a midrange or control deck, trying to maximize value. You need to play it very aggressively and push the tempo on every single turn.
Thanks to you and the other posters on my replays. These have been SUPER constructive and helpful and I really appreciate it.

Stuck at rank 6 going +1 -1. -_-

I'd be shocked if they didn't rotate Auctioneer, Leeroy, and Ice Block next year.

As for Alexstraza, I'd rather see them change the card so it sets HP to 20 instead of 15, rather than rotating it.

Brawl is totally fine.
I guess this will happen if the goal of card rotation is to never have any interesting decks.

Thanks to you and the other posters on my replays. These have been SUPER constructive and helpful and I really appreciate it.

Basically every turn all you want to do is maximize your damage output. Turn 2, you have a 2 drop on an empty board. You play it. Next turn you hit face with it even if you can kill a minion and have it survive. You want to force them to trade into your minions most of the time. When you're playing against an equally fast deck, like another pirate warrior, sometimes you do trade.

You want to snowball to victory. You play a 2/3 and your opponent plays a 3/2. If you make the trade then you break even. But if you attack face and then they make the trade anyway, you come out ahead by 2 damage. Those small advantages lead to a win. Pirate warrior can make big swings though, and you want to maximize the outcome of those swings if possible. Cultist and upgrade lets you remove minions with little resources to let your board grow and keep hitting face each turn. Eventually you won't care about your board since you have arcanite reapers and other charge effects to finish the game.

We're heading for a full on murloc meta aren't we?

So far today I've played against them in Paladin, Warrior and Druid.

Edit: How is it I can face like 5 aggro decks in a row, adjust my deck then out of nowhere comes the greediest Priest of all time that outright loses to the 90% of aggro decks that are on the ladder? I never understand these people lol. Do they just lose on turn 5 a bunch of times in a row until they just happen to hit the one midrange/control deck that they can outvalue?

We're heading for a full on murloc meta aren't we?

So far today I've played against them in Paladin, Warrior and Druid.

Edit: How is it I can face like 5 aggro decks in a row, adjust my deck then out of nowhere comes the greediest Priest of all time that outright loses to the 90% of aggro decks that are on the ladder? I never understand these people lol. Do they just lose on turn 5 a bunch of times in a row until they just happen to hit the one midrange/control deck that they can outvalue?

I think you'd be surprised on how often a "greedy" priest deck can beat aggro due to all the healing and taunts they can fit their deck.

New list hype: http://i.imgur.com/uVk6IaE.png

Removed cold blood (much less quest rogue atm which was the main reason I ran it in the first place)
Added a razorpetal again to curve out more consistently
Removed a sap, added si7 agent for more consistency

I guarantee you this Priest wasn't beating any aggro running a one of deck with Medivh, Free From Amber, Elise, etc.

That actually doesn't sound greedy for a typical control priest. I'd have to see a full list to know for sure but control priest must be build pretty greedy to work well.

they've repeatedly stated that they like auctioneer and the fact that it creates deck types, it's never going to wild unless it's straight up replaced

Just had a match up vs quest rogue that was nearly won on a hail mary from the quest rogue. I think it was obvious I pressured him enough that he had to play recklessly. But then he throws a hail mary with thistle tea and gets shadowstep. Then the next turn before he loses, he top decks novice engineer!

https://hsreplay.net/replay/iBrL2BMyMVrvnVH2vefEBR

they've repeatedly stated that they like auctioneer and the fact that it creates deck types, it's never going to wild unless it's straight up replaced

They printed lyra, a 5 mana version of auctioneer with rng. With the elemental sorceress apprentice, that thing can be quite insane.

I think it sorta depends on how committed they are to keeping classic in standard forever. I don't think auctioneer is a problem to keep around now that conceal is out.

TankUP

Just had a match up vs quest rogue that was nearly won on a hail mary from the quest rogue. I think it was obvious I pressured him enough that he had to play recklessly. But then he throws a hail mary with thistle tea and gets shadowstep. Then the next turn before he loses, he top decks novice engineer!

I lost to a miracle rogue (at rank 3) that thistle tea'd into Bloodmage and used all the cheap spellpower and draw to completely flip the board and the tempo. Felt bad.

But... I can't imagine running thistle tea in miracle is a good idea, even if he high-rolled me.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/io8ydUtdFNYt3zJZsDSALW

This match vs freeze mage. I bounced kabal courier enough times to finally find a heal the turn before pyroblast beat me. And if he had pyroblast, I won by 1 hp.

I lost to a miracle rogue (at rank 3) that thistle tea'd into Bloodmage and used all the cheap spellpower and draw to completely flip the board and the tempo. Felt bad.

But... I can't imagine running thistle tea in miracle is a good idea, even if he high-rolled me.

Yeah, I can't imagine many run thistle tea tbh. I tried it one match when the expansion came out and realized it's just not good enough.

He got the thistle off swash though.

KuroNeeko

Just started playing Giant Plant Rogue and it's fun but gat dayum is it

A) completely different than the value-based decks I usually play and
B) harder to pilot and
C) gets completely wrecked by Crabs...I mean, c'mon son!
D) whoever came up with the sound / animation for the petals did a good job. Feels so good....shhhooooooovp!

Beat two druids so far, but lost to Hunter (Crab) and Priest?!?! (Crab again)

edit: How the heck do you win with this thing? lol

Seems like it loses to Mage, Hunter, Token Druid (though I did eek out one win), Pirate Warrior and (list pending)
Might need to swap out SI for Xaril. Seems slow as heck but the extra spells would help with the giants, killer plants, and Sherazin... : /

Doomsayer would work in Wild with Conceal. I'm surprised I haven't seen it.

I hit Rank 5 tonight - whew! An incredibly intense series of matches all weekend.

platakul

Banned
Just started playing Giant Plant Rogue and it's fun but gat dayum is it

A) completely different than the value-based decks I usually play and
B) harder to pilot and
C) gets completely wrecked by Crabs...I mean, c'mon son!
D) whoever came up with the sound / animation for the petals did a good job. Feels so good....shhhooooooovp!

Beat two druids so far, but lost to Hunter (Crab) and Priest?!?! (Crab again)

edit: How the heck do you win with this thing? lol

Seems like it loses to Mage, Hunter, Token Druid (though I did eek out one win), Pirate Warrior and (list pending)
Might need to swap out SI for Xaril. Seems slow as heck but the extra spells would help with the giants, killer plants, and Sherazin... : /
Don't play the pirates if you're seeing lots of crabs. Vicious synd has the other buildings but you can sub in a questing. Taunt warrior is a hard match up, but only guess hope you dupe vilespines?

KuroNeeko

Don't play the pirates if you're seeing lots of crabs. Vicious synd has the other buildings but you can sub in a questing. Taunt warrior is a hard match up, but only guess hope you dupe vilespines?

OMG, what do I play if I can't play SWASHBURGLERS?

Removed cold blood (much less quest rogue atm which was the main reason I ran it in the first place)

That actually doesn't sound greedy for a typical control priest. I'd have to see a full list to know for sure but control priest must be build pretty greedy to work well.

Oh! I just saw this!
You're running Xaril as well!

Do you find using Xaril (and now the lack of CB) affects your win rate versus token druid (where you're racing for damage) or taunt warrior (where you're trying to break through taunts)? No Sap doesn't hurt the Paladin match up?

What where those adjustments targeting?

Feels like a personal milestone. I think I've been higher before but I usually don't play much after hitting legend but since I hit it so early this season I've been playing a couple games a night (played a bit tonight though). New list is 7-3. 66% between the two lists.

.eJwNzMsNwyAMANBduAfMx06aCXrvABEiFkRKIAL3VHX39g3wPurdT7WqInKP1Zj9GKn1XQ9pPWbWubV8cryPoVO7TBSJqVxcZRhL1uIcAAAtLvBwi_FAjnzw5DwiIFEwT45dyr-rvL1SZ66jNNkgTC5Mdt6c00gaZn3XrL4_Mx8slg.0hWub2_er5erb5z2C5RwKZF_SH8

Oh! I just saw this!

Do you find using Xaril (and now the lack of CB) affects your win rate versus token druid (where you're racing for damage) or taunt warrior (where you're trying to break through taunts)? No Sap doesn't hurt the Paladin match up?

I haven't ever found cold blood useful vs token druid. It's been mostly good against other rogues.

spoon!

OMG, what do I play if I can't play SWASHBURGLERS?

Oh! I just saw this!

I think he's running one sap, which is just enough considering how often you can end up comboing it with Vilespine to clear a taunt heavy board.

I'm really liking Xaril in Un'Goro Miracle. When he's in the deck with razorpetals it feels like you will always have enough ammo to:
- proc Auctioneer
- enable Vilespine / Evis
- reduce giant cost
- revive Sherazin
- buff VC

Sometimes, all at the same time!

Drawing the stealth potion on top of all that is just sick.

The one card I'm not sure of is having 2xFoN. Sometimes feel like I can get away with just 1 and slide in a CB for that little bit extra burst...

Stonehill defender is such a good card in paladin. I called that card for paladin and warrior. Just so good. People thought I was wrong. Said 1/4 for 3 is so bad. I said it's like an arcane intellect that draws and plays a 1/4 plus discovers a taunt. So good.

Top Bottom