• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

scarlet

I think he's running one sap, which is just enough considering how often you can end up comboing it with Vilespine to clear a taunt heavy board.

I'm really liking Xaril in Un'Goro Miracle. When he's in the deck with razorpetals it feels like you will always have enough ammo to:
- proc Auctioneer
- enable Vilespine / Evis
- reduce giant cost
- revive Sherazin
- buff VC

Sometimes, all at the same time!

Drawing the stealth potion on top of all that is just sick.

The one card I'm not sure of is having 2xFoN. Sometimes feel like I can get away with just 1 and slide in a CB for that little bit extra burst...

Yup. I'm considering to replace violet teacher with Xaril as my 4 drops.

But right now I'm havung fun with elemental shaman.

KuroNeeko

I've lost to Hunter x 2 and a Taunt Warrior with Giant Flower Rogue.

I feel like I should be able to win the Hunter match-up. The Taunt Warrior match-up supposedly favors the Rogue, but I didn't find that to be the case in my first match. I cycled through my whole deck, but couldn't keep a threat on the board.

spoon!

Just hit R4 playing between Murloc Paladin, Miracle and Taunt Warrior. This is probably the most fun I've had with HS since Naxx

spoon!

I've lost to Hunter x 2 and a Taunt Warrior with Giant Flower Rogue.

I feel like I should be able to win the Hunter match-up. The Taunt Warrior match-up supposedly favors the Rogue, but I didn't find that to be the case in my first match. I cycled through my whole deck, but couldn't keep a threat on the board.

What list are you running? Taunt Warrior is so passive its usually easy for rogue to set up a board, gather removals and swing at face.

Edit: How does the Sherazin seed interact with stuff like explosive shot and betrayal? Does the seed have a place on the board like any other minion and absorb the damage?

scarlet

What list are you running? Taunt Warrior is so passive its usually easy for rogue to set up a board, gather removals and swing at face.

Edit: How does the Sherazin seed interact with stuff like explosive shot and betrayal? Does the seed have a place on the board like any other minion and absorb the damage?

While it's in dormant state it's immortal. It has place on board, but no damage received.

The only way to kill it permanently is using hex/poly/silence/devolve etc

KuroNeeko

I was using Cross's list, then Eloise's list (almost the same), but replaced Patches with another SI.

I'm using Ryzen's list now, which is basically the same but runs two Saps, two Fans, and two Pods.

I probably just need more practice. I just beat a Dragon Priest and it very much came down to Sherazin and some petal damage to finish. What a weird deck lol

spoon!

While it's in dormant state it's immortal. It has place on board, but no damage received.

The only way to kill it permanently is using hex/poly/silence/devolve etc

Thanks :) So what you're saying is if I had a board set up like the following:

Code:
Auctioneer | Sherazin Seed | Xaril

If an explosive shot was pointed at the Auctioneer, that the AOE part of the spell would hit the Sherazin Seed, leaving Xaril alive.

Also, it looks like the Seed itself can't be affected by the opponent at all? As in, it can't be hexed, or even devolved? IIRC even brawl doesn't touch it.

Lyng

None of the above?

It's weird that you assume one of those considering Paladin is pretty exceptional right now in terms of matchups. It doesn't outright lose to much at all really.

Well what are you playing then? It's a lot easier to give you tips on how to do better against paladin if we know what deck you are playing.

Ladekabel

Either the Quest Rogues are all already high rank or they vanished because the deck wasn't that great but I quite like the meta right now. I see every class unlike before in MSG where I only saw Shamen and Pirate Warriors. Heck, I'm even happy seeing Hunters again.

KuroNeeko

So now I need to play Paladin? Is that legendary that makes everything a 3/3 essential

I don't have it myself, but I think it's pretty important.
If I had to make a comparison, I think it'd be like trying to play without Edwin or maybe BMT. It's effect is very unique and extremely powerful.

Lyng

Either the Quest Rogues are all already high rank or they vanished because the deck wasn't that great but I quite like the meta right now. I see every class unlike before in MSG where I only saw Shamen and Pirate Warriors. Heck, I'm even happy seeing Hunters again.

Yeah I don't think the game has ever been in a better place then now, both with deck diversity and class viability.

Blizzard

Banned
After taking all the advice in the thread into account, I decided to try going super aggressive as suggested, betting on my ability to win.

I removed the Execute and added a Wolfrider (theoretically, since I don't remember it showing up in my deck or mulligan ONCE in 5 games).

Despite the deck and playstyle changes, I lost another 4 in a row. I'm not aware of a way I could have won any of them, but please correct me if I am wrong. This seems statistically unlikely. The 5th game I got good draws and won, but even there I didn't draw the Wolfrider. :p

https://hsreplay.net/replay/EQR2GJirP8agm3WPtJSPMb
https://hsreplay.net/replay/japtA6rnTSW7EuQADLeMkA
https://hsreplay.net/replay/xHKzwYkQPJATQbjmz4L4dG
https://hsreplay.net/replay/27G4uxEskXyxqUEzFzikJk
https://hsreplay.net/replay/CvbwmTbtbpixZ5QqWcsG7Q

*edit* On my 8th game I drew the Wolfrider. I'd love to know the odds of that.

After taking all the advice in the thread into account, I decided to try going super aggressive as suggested, betting on my ability to win.

I removed the Execute and added a Wolfrider (theoretically, since I don't remember it showing up in my deck or mulligan ONCE in 5 games).

Despite the deck and playstyle changes, I lost another 4 in a row. I'm not aware of a way I could have won any of them, but please correct me if I am wrong. This seems statistically unlikely. The 5th game I got good draws and won, but even there I didn't draw the Wolfrider. :p

https://hsreplay.net/replay/EQR2GJirP8agm3WPtJSPMb
https://hsreplay.net/replay/japtA6rnTSW7EuQADLeMkA
https://hsreplay.net/replay/xHKzwYkQPJATQbjmz4L4dG
https://hsreplay.net/replay/27G4uxEskXyxqUEzFzikJk
https://hsreplay.net/replay/CvbwmTbtbpixZ5QqWcsG7Q

*edit* On my 8th game I drew the Wolfrider. I'd love to know the odds of that.

In Game 2, Turn 2 you Dread Corsair, punch the Taunt with your Axe then upgrade to a 1/3 weapon. I'd have played the Dread Corsair and the Southsea Deckhand instead, trade taunt with Deckhand and kept the one Axe charge, as on your next turn you can drop Bloodsail Cultist and turn your Axe into a 4/2.

Blizzard

Banned
In Game 2, Turn 2 you Dread Corsair, punch the Taunt with your Axe then upgrade to a 1/3 weapon. I'd have played the Dread Corsair and the Southsea Deckhand instead, trade taunt with Deckhand and kept the one Axe charge, as on your next turn you can drop Bloodsail Cultist and turn your Axe into a 4/2.
Fair point, but could it have changed the game's outcome? If I'm doing the math right that would only be a few points extra of damage, and they had enough taunts to shut the game down with plenty of HP left.

I know it's good practice in general, just saying I don't know of a way that particular game could have been won (unless I'm totally butchering the math).

KuroNeeko

Anyone want to trade a PAF quest?

I'm at candyFrog#1327

Fair point, but could it have changed the game's outcome? If I'm doing the math right that would only be a few points extra of damage, and they had enough taunts to shut the game down with plenty of HP left.

I know it's good practice in general, just saying I don't know of a way that particular game could have been won (unless I'm totally butchering the math).

It may have.

Players make different decisions based on the situation at hand. You're looking at everything in retrospect with perfect knowledge via the replay.

If a player knows you're playing Pirate and sees you have a 4/2 waraxe (instead of a 3/1), they could make any number of different plays. When playing against PW, I'm always relieved to see weapons fall off. Upgrading or boosting weapons always feels bad. I think it could have changed the outcome of the game, but who knows?

sibarraz

Banned
I think that the problem with quest rogue is that when you play against them it never feels that you can decide the outcome of the match, it all depends on whatever they drew well or not.

And lol at the crab meta

Badgerst3

After 2 years of playing Hearthstone- made rank 10 in standard last night. Feels good man.

Using quest taunt warrior, so kinda cheesy I know. Did have to navigate a slew of quest rogues so there's that. Brawl top deck draw saved me more than once.

On the subject of Oozes: in my Renolock deck I made the unusual choice to include both Gluttonous Ooze and Acidic Swamp Ooze and drop Shadowflame, and I haven't regretted that yet. My reasons are as follows:
1) Shadowflame needs a beefy target, and Renolock really doesn't run many beefy targets that you want to sacrifice for a board wipe. In this fast meta, you are either at a point where you have the board, or where you are behind and don't have the mana for Shadowflame. Giants aren't used anymore, so you can't get a cheap wipe with this card anymore.

2) Acidic Swamp Ooze is a game-changer against Pirate Warrior. Pirate Warrior is everywhere in Wild. I would say 1/4 to 1/3 of my matches are against Pirate Warrior in the 10-5 ranks. 1/30 cards in your deck is a slim chance to pull a much-needed counter to that deck. Bringing the count to 2/30 is significant, and in the Pirate Warrior match you can easily use both without wishing you had another card.

3) The value of these cards is off the charts in the Pirate Warrior matchup. I've had Pirate Warrior players regularly play an Arcanite Reaper and then buff it with +1/+1. That means I will take 18 damage from Arcanite Reaper before it is done (for 2 cards!). Acidic Swamp Ooze is basically a card that prevents the next 18 damage you take in this instance - is there a better defensive card for 2 mana?

4) Having two Oozes can be a great bait in control matchups. Play Ooze, so your opponent plays Medivh or Jaraxxus? Ayy, I have a second Ooze for you!

5) Destroying Rogue weapons twice on curve is hilarious and a huge tempo loss for them.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
After 2 years of playing Hearthstone- made rank 10 in standard last night. Feels good man.

Using quest taunt warrior, so kinda cheesy I know. Did have to navigate a slew of quest rogues so there's that. Brawl top deck draw saved me more than once.

Never apologize for doing what you need to win. Play whatever brings you happiness. Whether that is quest warrior, pirate warrior, mid hunter or some janky control priest.

Too much deck shaming on this forum. Play what you like and if you like winning then play what wins. I ain't gonna be mad about it. The meta right now actually feels diverse for the first time a really long time. Which is wonderful. Even if all the decks that make it diverse aren't always fun to play against (Exodia Mage, I'm looking at you).

I'm currently in a rank 8 match , both of us are Dragon Priests.

We're in an infinite loop of Drakonid OP's

Someone help

Edit: I think we summoned like, 10 combined Drakonids that game.

sibarraz

Banned
An hungry crab in turn 1 is almost an insta gg for some murloc paladins.

Whatever some decks feel unfair to play against, I have to give props to blizzard for whatever intentionally or not for increasing the value of lots of cards that 1 month ago were trash tier.

Tirion is just a must on the paladin class.

because of that and the other legendary and the warleaders I can't play that deck, it's way too expensive for me

I disagree. I've played midrange paladin without tirion before. Stonehill defenders get you a tirion quite often anyway.

I think tarim is the must have card for paladin and it's not even then technically a must have, it's just really good.

a report of the average winrate of the quests completion until now

interesting to see them really low, specially the marsh queen, I never expected to be one of the worst, if not the worst.

Quest Priest is everywhere in Wild, hahaha.

Like I told Dahbomb, Murloc Shaman is also very popular and strong in Wild.

Why is Lakkari Warloc so much better in Wild than it is in Standard? Is it because so many more decks are greedy and slow, so you have more time to reap its rewards?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Why is Lakkari Warloc so much better in Wild than it is in Standard? Is it because so many more decks are greedy and slow, so you have more time to reap its rewards?

I'm guessing simply sample was too low. Only 5% of wild warlock decks even used it and wild samples tend to be tiny to begin with.

well you have a lot more healing in wild and the ability to use the old elise in order to flip your deck free of all the discard stuff once you complete the quest which seems really important to me, since otherwise you're playing with an insanely small deck that can't go long which is the only way lakkari could ever be worth a damn

Cabalist's Tome into Primordial Glyph into Primordial Glyph into Cabalist's Tome into Ice Block.

:)

:(
I saw a Trollden video where a guy got 4 Ice Blocks in a row and won because of it.

well you have a lot more healing in wild and the ability to use the old elise in order to flip your deck free of all the discard stuff once you complete the quest which seems really important to me, since otherwise you're playing with an insanely small deck that can't go long which is the only way lakkari could ever be worth a damn
I didn't play any Questlocks this month, so I have no idea!

Haven't played Ungoro since it came out. Two days ago went to Tempostorm.... copy and paste the #1 midrange paladin deck. Went from rank 25 to like 5 with an 80% win rate.

Good lord I don't know to credit these deck builder for building such good decks or the game to be that damn flawed where someone can just ROFLSTOMP through without even know wtf they're doing. In the past for me to achieve high rank I had to learn all the ladder decks, and play around certain cards (basically I had to use my brain). Now I just close my eyes pick one of the meta decks... play on curve and profit. If I can do this shit in two days I only imagine how easy it is to get Legend for someone who is A) a better player and B) have more free time than I do.

I didn't play any Questlocks this month, so I have no idea!

yeah i pulled it from a deck so i messed around with it, dark bargain helps, and as i said building it with some healing and the old elise seemed to be the only way i could make any use of the quest without just feeling like i might as well be playing any other warlock deck instead. if you don't go crazy with the discard cards you activate it so late it's beyond worthless. i have no idea why anyone would play it on ladder though as i said screwing around with different ways to build it, you still feel like why am i not just playing reno or something. at least something like hunter quest is weaker than regular hunter decks but when you get good draws it's better and feels different.

Top Bottom