• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain Revealed on Next Week's GTTV

De-mon

One more.

2w7n9rl.jpg

N30RYU

De-mon said:
Some reliable person said me the final game is looking as good as those screens :-O
De-mon tell bernatt to take "print screens" instead of photos... will be easier and with more quality.

zoukka

I'm not doubting those screens at all. Most of the action will probably happen in confined enviroments.

The only possible problem here could be animation and physics. Enviroments like that just scream "POKE ME" and if a glass doesn't shatter if falling on the floor, the immersion will be hurt. Much more than in cruder enviroments.

Same with the almost realistic character models. If the animations are even a bit off, they might come off as disturbing figures. We'll see if everything is mocapped from the beginning to the end.

I'm not too happy about the myriads of story paths. It would have to be miracle to make it all believable and seamless...

zoukka said:
The only possible problem here could be animation and physics. Enviroments like that just scream "POKE ME" and if a glass doesn't shatter if falling on the floor, the immersion will be hurt. Much more than in cruder enviroments.

When inside the cramped, untidy house (there was no loading delay and we are promised there never will be) Cage stresses that everything in the detailed environment is modeled in 3D and can be interacted with, including chairs, cupboards, televisions, doors and the fireplace, with text prompts popping up as Madison explores.

Madison bumps into a table and knocks over a bottle, but fortunately our demonstrator "driving" Madison is quick enough to react and catch it before it smashes on the ground.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/screenplay/archives//019841.html

N30RYU

zoukka said:

You have to read the "punch a steak" thing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So some of these (like that last one) look like artwork..some like they possibly could be screenshots.. I guess if we had direct captures we'd be able to tell the difference more easily.

Calibur

zoukka said:
I'm not doubting those screens at all. Most of the action will probably happen in confined enviroments.

Same with the almost realistic character models. If the animations are even a bit off, they might come off as disturbing figures. We'll see if everything is mocapped from the beginning to the end.

I'm not too happy about the myriads of story paths. It would have to be miracle to make it all believable and seamless...

I agree as good as it looks, it seems to have a on Rails, QTE only vibe to it, with little control to it!
...Which has got me worried and could be a big let down!

Im preying it isn't because it looks incredible!

Is anyone else beginning to suspect that Microsoft put flyers up all over Sony's neighbourhood reminding them about E3 starting on the 18th May?

freethought said:
Is anyone else beginning to suspect that Microsoft put flyers up all over Sony's neighbourhood reminding them about E3 starting on the 18th May?
Par for the course. It always feels like Sony shows it's hand early, then uses the keynote for basic talk and crap, then carpet bombs the week-of with great stuff. But remember, when they don't have a megaton IN the speech, it's "lulz Sony failz to show any games at E3" (tm)

David talks Indigo Prophecy

1UP: Are there any specific scenes in the game that you think worked best?

DC: The first scene that comes to my mind is the one where you control Tyler Miles, a cop, as he wakes up in the morning. He looks at his girlfriend still asleep, takes a shower, and puts his clothes on. Then he goes to the kitchen. He drinks the coffee his girlfriend prepared, they talk, and he leaves for the office. I remember when I wrote this scene, I thought it would never work. There was absolutely nothing happening, nothing spectacular, just a guy waking up and going to work. When I played the game for the first time, I had this unique feeling of sharing the character's intimacy, playing his life with him. It is definitely the scene that convinced me that it was possible to think differently about interactivity.

I also liked the scene at the lake, where the hero is confronted with a moral decision, saving a little boy about to fall in a lake but taking the risk of being arrested by the police, or just leaving. The choices were presented in multiple windows and the player had to make a quick decision with moral consequences. The scene worked quite well, although being quite simple, but many people told me they left and felt really bad for a long time after [playing it].

One last scene was the one where the hero's ex-girlfriend comes back to his apartment to get some stuff, and the player can be nice or tough with her, trying to seduce her again and potentially get intimate. Someone told me he was usually a nice person, so when the girlfriend came back, he was as nice as possible with her. When he played the game again, he wanted to play differently to see what would happen...but when she came, he could not be tough with her and played exactly the same way. I love this story, because it means this player saw this program moving a bunch of pixels on screen like a real character with emotions, which means that we reached our goal.

1UP: Do you think if Indigo Prophecy was released today, you would have an easier problem including the game's sex scene in North America?

DC: To be frank, I don't know yet. I think there is still an atmosphere of paranoia around video games. Some people seem to think games have an incredible power because of interactivity. Even in our industry, some decision makers are convinced of that, although all studies I know demonstrate games don't have more influence than movies or books.

Graphic novels were at the same stage 30 years ago, because laws were made by people who did not read graphic novels, so they thought it was dangerous. I think times will change and interactivity will get more and more accepted in our society. Game creators are getting more mature and in many cases are telling more meaningful stories in games.

As a creator, I like to be free to create the most realistic interactive experience possible, and sex and violence are parts of our lives. Not that I necessarily want to promote those aspects but it is an element of human nature that I believe people can connect with in the games we do.

1UP: Can you share some behind the scenes trivia about the game that we might not know?

We were working on Indigo during the Hot Coffee scandal. There was some kind of paranoia at the time that some genius teenager could extract graphic assets involving sex from the game, so we had to go back and cover the private parts of all characters present on the DVD, even if they were not shown in the game, just to make sure no one could extract them from the program. This was probably one of the most time consuming and, to me, weirdest things I've had to do in my career.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3174321

Ploid 3.0

Haha at the hot coffee thing.

1UP: Are there any specific scenes in the game that you think worked best?

DC: The first scene that comes to my mind is the one where you control Tyler Miles, a cop, as he wakes up in the morning. He looks at his girlfriend still asleep, takes a shower, and puts his clothes on. Then he goes to the kitchen. He drinks the coffee his girlfriend prepared, they talk, and he leaves for the office. I remember when I wrote this scene, I thought it would never work. There was absolutely nothing happening, nothing spectacular, just a guy waking up and going to work. When I played the game for the first time, I had this unique feeling of sharing the character's intimacy, playing his life with him. It is definitely the scene that convinced me that it was possible to think differently about interactivity.

I also liked the scene at the lake, where the hero is confronted with a moral decision, saving a little boy about to fall in a lake but taking the risk of being arrested by the police, or just leaving. The choices were presented in multiple windows and the player had to make a quick decision with moral consequences. The scene worked quite well, although being quite simple, but many people told me they left and felt really bad for a long time after [playing it].

I liked IP for these types of gameplay moments. People going mad about no action, shooting, and blowing up stuff confuse me. Not every game has to be about all that. If this industry wants to mature we have to have more than just action. I like the qte selecting in IP too. While in the coffee shop having to answer questions as the waitress and such, I felt the urgency/nervousness the characters must have felt because I had to answer quick and it could effect stuff (it seemed). Also hiding the evidence in the bathroom gave me that same feeling. I wasn't getting adrenaline from Boom Bam Action, but I was getting it from decision making that could bight me in the end. I think this dev group know what to do with the game to make it exciting. They already proved me they can with IP. People that don't see that should probably stick to games they like.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Totobeni said:
So Trico , Uncharted 2 and HR videos all before E3 ..

there are only 3 possibilities here

1- they have super megatonz new games for E3 bigger than HR/Trico/U2
2- they know their rival have an announcement at E3 that will overshadow all their games like last year .
3- they are just stupid

choose wisely

D:

Hope for #1.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
must... remain... unhyyyyyyped... gaharlfk,dvmf

who am I kidding, damn thing looks great. don't let me down quantic dream.

BeeDog

Forsete said:
Its odd how they show all these pretty big titles just before E3..

It's Sony in retarded-mode again, it's not the first time they blow their load prematurely. Wouldn't be too surprised if they stand there on the stage, dick in hand and completely oblivious. :lol

Though I hope not.

Spiegel

Forsete said:
Its odd how they show all these pretty big titles just before E3..

Well, they have to make room for Syphon Filter, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 5 and MM's new project

Yeah

Erebus

Spiegel said:
Well, they have to make room for Syphon Filter, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 5 and MM's new project

Yeah

Hopefully but I will believe it when I see it.
amIdoinitrite?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Great art direction.

Guy LeDouche said:
wtf, those look like real photographs pasted onto a 3d model. crazy

Those are 3D scans, so yeah:p

Mooreberg

Indigo Prophecy was the first game I played through this year, thanks largely to the backlog feature on 1up FM. Other than the bizzaro Matrix-esque sequences it was a great game. If they keep this game grounded in reality (which seems to be the case) it'll kill everything else in terms narrative and atmosphere.

JoJo13

Banned
The models look great.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the animation.

The teaser they showed last year had pretty unconvincing animation for the faces and lip syncing. I'm hoping this looks more convincing with the final product.

jett

D-Member
David Cage: Indigo Prophecy was the first game entirely based on narrative and characters, not using any standard game mechanics but only contextual actions and decisions affecting the story. It demonstrated to me many very important points: it was possible to create a game without weapons, a car, or puzzles, and it was possible to tell a story through player actions, not through cut-scenes.

:lol Obviously this guy didn't play his own game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jett said:

Wow. I really hate Indigo Prophecy and other than the demo I only saw youtube videos, but that was enough to scare me away forever from any such games. It was basically Simon Says, with video. It was fucking Dragon's Lair.

jett said:

:lol Cage is never going to learn, you might as well bold the entire quote for bullshit. I really hope I eat crow but I can't see any title this man is behind being worth shit given his track record as well his inability to learn from his mistakes, and pretentiousness in the past. It's a real shame given the amazing things his graphics and animation people have shown us in Heavy Rain.

jett

D-Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
:lol Cage is never going to learn, you might as well bold the entire quote for bullshit. I really hope I eat crow but I can't see any title this man is behind being worth shit given his track record as well his inability to learn from his mistakes, and pretentiousness in the past. It's a real shame given the amazing things his graphics and animation people have shown us in Heavy Rain.

Yeah it's comments like those that make me worried for Heavy Rain. I'm definitely not going to get sucked in by the prettay grafx. The chances of suck for this game are extremely high.

avaya said:
Those screens....they can't be real? surely?

That Owl pic is most definitely concept art

Spiegel said:

Yeah

Don't ever joke about something like that.

Top Bottom