• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain Revealed on Next Week's GTTV

Still looks good, but not nearly as good as last year's footage which is surprising since that sequence was created solely for demo purposes.

Yoboman

Meh, looks really bad compared to what we had with the girl and the taxidermist

Even the modelling and facial expressions don't seem so good, I thought that's what this game was going to excel at....

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
The guy is an FBI psychological profiler. So yeah, this is probably some CSI shieeeeet. Reading the article right now, so far just some backstory.
Yeah, we kind of knew it was CSI style stuff, I think I mentioned it yesterday.

Either way it looks cool to me. I'm still very excited.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yoboman said:

Even the modelling and facial expressions don't seem so good, I thought that's what this game was going to excel at....
How can you gauge that from stills?

Waiting for video to confirm my excitement as I've been waiting for a game like this for a while.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yoboman said:

:lol

Can you link me to the video?

Dante

LiquidMetal14 said:

Waiting for video to confirm my excitement as I've been waiting for a game like this for a while.

Tech wise it looks exactly the same as last years demo, just different characters and setting. Can't say I'm surprised people are crying downgrade though.

Only thing that bugs me is that guy looks like the cyclops dude from the Xmen movies.

iceatcs

Glove or Cyborg hand look like, maybe it is on little future.

I like to see so far. We have 2 very different style (heavy rain, and other half rain/sunny (woman one)).

WinFonda

I will agree these initial screens are not very flattering. I'm not sure there is great reason to doubt the game seeing as the taxidermist demo looked so frigging good. I can't imagine the game would have regressed since then. I will chalk it up to some bad shots or that it simply looks much better in motion.

Yoboman

LiquidMetal14 said:

Because the models don't look as good as what we had before... Lots of polygon edges... And the screens don't show much range of expressions like we had before

Lighting seems a lot more dull too

Dante

smh how is this not flattering?

Screenshot138.jpg

Holy cow, I'm glad I don't have expectations like some of you.

jett

D-Member
BlazingDarkness said:
those are part of the choices/branching paths for each scenario

No, he uses special uber hightech glasses and gloves that allow him immediate detection and analysis of a crime scene.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Quick and dirty job of the first paragraphs, probably beaten but meh.

Four main playable characters: Ethan Mars, Scott Shelby, Madison Paige and Norman Jayden. Each one featuring different exclusive scenes, character backgrounds, abilities, personality, will be witness to different events and will share his/her own views on what's going on to build the story for the player.

FBI agent Norman Jayde was shown here, his job being the making of criminal psychological profiles. He was sent to the West Coast to investigate the Origami Killer case as backup since it's been months and the police still doesn't have a friggin clue. This already adds a tense relationship between him and the police that'll impact the storyline. He's been trained in psychological studies, able to dwelve into the killers' mind. He's highly professional and organized, but obsessed to the point he'd do anything to catch his man.

Jayden uses a prototype device: the ARI (Alternate Reality Interface), comprised of a pair of glasses and a glove linked together. The glasses are capable of detecting fingerprints, ADN remnants, blood trails and such that'd normally be invisible to the human eye. The glove allows for inmediate analysis of the substances bypassing the wait for lab results.

Yoboman said:
[im]http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/juegos/PlayStation3-AventuraGrafica/da/IMG2-cw4a1596c229210/Screenshot65.jpg[/img]

Are you honestly complaining about that hook not being perfectly rounded? Because those character models certainly aren't blocky.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Seems like Jayden's main weakness is his drug addiction. If he spends too long without a dose of Tryptocaine he will manifest abstinence syndrome in the form of convulsions, dizzyness, blurry vision and overall incapacitation that could be fatal in some situations. The player will have to juggle between following the killer's track and hiding this addiction.

iceatcs

Yoboman said:
http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/juegos/PlayStation3-AventuraGrafica/da/IMG2-cw4a1596c229210/Screenshot65.jpg
Where? don't tell me is it fucking hook?

Dante

Dobkeratops said:
Seems like Jayden's main weakness is his drug addiction. If he spends too long without a dose of Tryptocaine he will manifest abstinence syndrome in the form of convulsions, dizzyness, blurry vision and overall incapacitation that could be fatal in some situations. The player will have to juggle between following the killer's track and hiding this addiction.

Now THIS sounds fucking awesome :)

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
Are you honestly complaining about that hook not being perfectly rounded? Because those character models certainly aren't blocky.
Compared to other high profile PS3 games they certainly are. And it's below what they showed last year, which is my problem

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TOBAL port in disguise?!!??!!?

-viper- said:
Doesn't look as good as it previously did. What happened to great looking models?
You ferry, it's been revealed exclusively on GAF that this is a TOBAL remake!

Quantic Dreams just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about atmosphere in games (I'm an expert), but the graphics are a huge part of it. It's not like in Gears of War where you just put ultra high res textures and become successful because of pretty surfaces. If you don't create a real, lifelike world in this kind of game, you bring shame to yourself and others, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that PS3 owners, after hearing about this, are not going to purchase Heavy Rain anymore. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but QD has alienated an entire generation of hardcore gamers with this move.

Quantic Dreams, publicly apologize and change the atmosphere in this game or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Old interface has been discarded, now the context sensitive actions appear around the character as he moves around the environment - basically they come up as "ideas" on what to do. The speed these prompts move at, font size and such are relative to the character's emotional status. i.e: if he's calm, they'll move slowly, if he's under pressure they'll be fast and if he's drugged they'll appear blurry, nigh-unreadable. Dialogs use the same system.

Dobkeratops said:
Old interface has been discarded, now the context sensitive actions appear around the character as he moves around the environment - basically they come up as "ideas" on what to do. The speed these prompts move at, font size and such are relative to the character's emotional status. i.e: if he's calm, they'll move slowly, if he's under pressure they'll be fast and if he's drugged they'll appear blurry, nigh-unreadable. Dialogs use the same system.

That sounds awesome.

Dante said:
Blocky character models? Where?

Screenshot98.jpg

Yeah, there's a couple of weird shots in there. They look squashed or something, but this shot here is absolutely jaw dropping. That's the best goddamn skin texture I've ever seen.

-viper- said:
Doesn't look as good as it previously did. What happened to great looking models?

Not all models are equal in games. Snake, Otacon and Ocelot have the best looking models in MGS4. Characters like Meryl and Johnny don't look nearly as good.

Don

Dobkeratops said:
Sounds very cool.

StuBurns

Banned
You know what I hate about this. This is like the only game I can think of where they didn't bother with bullshots. These actually look like screen grabs from a video. And people are complaining even though it still looks better than just about anything on console.

EDIT: Actually, his tie is clipping thru his shirt collar. Fuck this game.

Shearie

I'm gonna get my characters so fuckin high in this game that it's gonna look like Space Giraffe.

Night_Trekker said:
Uh... super high-tech glasses and gloves? Let's hope the rest of the game stays a little more grounded than that...

It's not much different from the current crime investigation shows. They use a lot of technology that doesn't actually exist.

Top Bottom