• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heidi Montag (of Spencer/Heidi fame) says her new album is as good as Thriller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Souldriver said:
No music is fake.
All music is manufactured.

There's a difference between liking/defending music, and liking/defending people. I'm also jarred myself how Toy Soldier managed or tried to spin this Montag thing into a positive (I mean really..), but if the only thing you're gonna do is insult the guy every time he pops up in a thread then I urge you to put him on your ignore list instead of polluting said threads with personal attacks.

Bingo on your first lines, I appreciate you saying that. Also, I apologize if my posts came off as spinning. That term, to me, implies being insincere and intentionally twisting for the sake of justifying something. That's not my goal here, and it never is.

I'm not trying to skew Heidi's tale in a glass-half-full direction, that's just where I see it sitting already. :) Some folks here have made a good case as to why this transformation may not be as rosy as I'm ready to believe, but time will tell. For now, she looks stunning and hopefully is being rewarded for her progress with happiness and satisfaction.

jonnybryce said:
First of all, her album is absolutely horrible. It's one of the worst I've ever heard, and I'm not saying that in a "meaningless pop music by a less than average singer and not a vocalist, therefore automatic suck" way, but in a "this is horrible pop music" way.

I bought Superficial after reading that Cathy Dennis co-wrote several of the songs, and while there was never ANY reason to expect something spectacular, I was actually pretty shocked at how poor it is. You nailed that.

Her biggest comparison seems to be Paris Hilton's album, yet it turned out to be one of the best pop records of 2006. Granted, Heidi didn't have as many advantages as The Heiress (not as much talent working with her, presumably fewer quality control standards, and most importantly Heidi doesn't have that distinguishable voice/persona that made Paris' songs instantly click and work).

It's obviously a small hacked-together independent attempt not unlike any number of aspiring MySpace pop starlets' CDBaby albums, only this one got publicity and one prominent songwriter contributing mostly table scraps (probably relatively expensive scraps, at that - so if this thing had a budget, the lion's share went there). Hopefully not much cash went to the Grade D producers or the seemingly non-existent mastering engineer.

I'm all about positives, though. You won't see me dig for flaws, there's only an honest effort to love everything that enters my ears...so it's nice that Look How I'm Doin' opens the album, it's actually pretty darn good.

Unlike the rest, it sounds complete. The mix is hot, the song is fun, the vocals were handled well (the key being that she's MUCH less indistinguishably bland and robotic than usual because she speaks most of it - a template the rest of her album should have followed, as Paris' aforementioned album wisely did). Come to find out, it was actually released months ago as a single...so likely it had little to do with most of the songs that made up this album, hence the disparity in quality.

It might be worth revisiting with different expectations later on, but today? Yikes. Take a peek at Look How I'm Doin' and keep walking.

Slacker

Just listened to the 30 second samples of her songs on iTunes... holy tapdancing hell. She sounds just like Katie Couric from the Auto-tune The News videos.

Time to scrub my brain with some Neko Case. Hmm, I wonder what she'd think of Heidi's opus? :D

Kronotech

I bet 5 years from now she'll still be defending this album and saying things such as "Thriller took it's time. You can't rush perfection".

Good ol Heidi.

Vyer

That this chick and her douchebag are in any way famous is a perfect example of what's wrong with the world today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom