• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade (Ninja Theory, PS4/PC, UE4) - Gameplay Trailer

Arkeband

Banned
I'm not sure what people expect from a game made with 12 people...

Is this the selling point of the game?

"Yeah, it doesn't look good, and it might not play well either. But it was made by a really small amount of people!"

If a game is weak it doesn't matter if it's made by 1 guy or 10,000. The trailer for this game hasn't sold me on it, it looked very generic.

The mental illness angle isn't really that 'new', either.

I'll wait until I see more than just animations of a character swinging a sword at an npc.

Betty

Banned
For a gameplay trailer... there wasn't much gameplay.

Unless the game is about getting knocked down and beaten.

Reedirect

I can't stand Ninja Theory's character design, but this actually looks interesting from the few gameplay bits. Will keep an eye out.

Gbraga

I've been fully intending on buying DmC at some point down the road. Now I'm... slightly less inclined to do so.

It's still good, though, right? I enjoyed Enslaved but I didn't think it was great or a classic by any means.

DmC is an incredible game, especiall the Definitive Edition. You should definitely give it a try if you like the genre.

PaulloDEC

Talk about trivializing and sensationalizing mental illness. Gross concept

They've got a Cambridge professor of health neuroscience and a world-leading biomedical research charity who seem to think they're doing something positive.

Takes all sorts.

Mr. X

Even if they are being tactful about mental illness, they totally just advertised it.

Gameplay trailer was light on the gameplay. It's not going to play well is it?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My father had a psychosis and schizophrenia. My brother also, both dead. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this Game! thank you, thank you ! It is an issue which needs more attention!!!

was interested in this at all, like im sure i would have played it at some point
but now
knowing this.
the venture of mental illness as the focus is brilliant and daring.
tackling these from various perspectives and having them illustrated and taking form in the world and reality as senua perceives it is mesmerizing

So i just want to state that I, like sadly million of others out there, suffer from depression and, like sadly millions of others have had a failed suicide attempt in my life. The anxiety and fear combined with so many other factors drive your brain mad yet your depression keeps you from feeling anything altogether which takes your mind to the darkest places. It's a horrific experience that I wish on noone and yet, the irony is that this is really fucking common with people in the world. Depression and depressive episodes are part of a huge portion of the population of the world and yet, for the most part, the media oversimplifies us as either overdramatic or just wrong n the head with a lack of dignity and respect.

So I can only say thank you for what you're attempting to do for us with mental illnesses. By giving us all the respect and research in a way to make a delicate yet brilliantly artistic portrayal of such things

Comments like this from the Youtube section leads me to believe that this game will touch some hearts. I WILL buy this game now based on the concept alone.

Paganmoon

Besides the name of the game alluding to Heavenly Sword, and Senua resembling Kai, there's also the story.
It feels like they're adapting the story they had planed for Heavenly Sword 2, into this. Kai battling through hell to get Nariko back.
Kai also showed mental illness tendencies in Heavenly Sword, so another thing in common. And one of the voice actors for the "voices in Senuas head" sounds like Kai. Could be "her younger self" talking to her.

Now the setting is very different, but the core of the story sounds like they've adapted their original ideas to this.
Even the stone circle (you see in the reveal, and parts of this trailer), sort of remind you of the "hub world" of Heavenly Sword. And parts of the dev diary felt like re-imaginations of the midgame cutscenes of Heavenly Sword, down to Nariko talking to herself/the sword/the camera.

Heavenly Sword being one of my all time favorite games, this has me really excited. Really looking forward to this. Though, the movement of the characters seems very janky, in combat, the Vikings move very stiffly. And when walking Senua does the same, and it looks like she's not running exactly in the direction the camera is facing, but running, at an angle (essential strafing a bit). But this is as they've stated very early footage, closer to a real Alpha, than the things Ubi for instance show and label as pre-alpha.

camac002

From the dev video showing w.i.p. combat

vQ25RL.gif

PaulloDEC

Even if they are being tactful about mental illness, they totally just advertised it.

Gameplay trailer was light on the gameplay. It's not going to play well is it?

I feel like this is going to be one of those "celebrity gives to charity" kinda deals. Does it benefit the celebrity by making them look good? Sure. Does that invalidate the good they're doing for the charity? Nope.

It may come across as tacky to some of us, but drawing attention to and encouraging discussion of mental illness seems like a worthwhile trade-off.

As for the gameplay, let's not forget that this game is still pretty early in development.

Looks pretty terrible visually.

Yikes, harsh critics around here. "Terrible"? I mean, it doesn't look like a AAA title I suppose, but then that's because it isn't.

Sephzilla

DmC is an incredible game, especiall the Definitive Edition. You should definitely give it a try if you like the genre.

If you're going to buy any copy of DmC then the Definitive Edition is the one to buy, because they actually brought some of the combat up to par. Definitive Edition doesn't fix the story though, that shit is god awful even by Devil May Cry standards.

I really hope the stuff they learned from DmCDE carries over into Hellblade, I really do. I don't feel like Ninja Theory has ever been able to make a game that has a combo of good gameplay plus a good story, it feels like it's one or the other with them. They could be a legit great dev team if they could fire on all cylinders.

PaulloDEC

Game made by 2 people whilst developing the entire engine it runs on (not using middleware)
reset_tease_1.jpg

Hasn't that been in development for like... well over three years now?

I feel like a puzzle game featuring robots probably brings a slightly different set of challenges to an adventure/action game featuring humans too.

SomTervo

Senua having a mental illness and us seeing the world through her eyes isn't a twist or spoiler, it's the premise. It would be like saying "Oh why did they tell us that Limbo is an alternate world in DmC, they should've let us find that out on her own." Now finding out the reasons for her current condition would be a spoiler.

I didn't say it was either a twist or a spoiler. Read my post again.

The point is that it's:

A) bad writing/creative to forcefully highlight a theme of your game
B) especially irrelevant to a reveal trailer. it's not a selling point that your game has a theme of mental health
C) potentially a tasteless way of bringing up a sensitive topic (a random, unprecedented theme in an action-packed trailer)

I think the issue was just that their choice of words was so clunky. I mean, why not say something like "Through the lens of a troubled mind..."? Saying "mental illness" just seems clinical and blunt, and it clashes with the gritty distant-past vibe they're going for.

DmC is a great game. Chaos2Frozen isn't wrong, but the lack of subtlety is actually a strength in the case of that particular game IMO. It's a very deliberately melodramatic, over-the-top kinda game.

Yeah, I suppose the choice of words was the main problem here. Just a stupid way of getting the idea across. Are they a team from an English speaking country? It reeks of non-native speaker English. Good to know re DmC!

My first thought also. It's as if they just couldn't help themselves; they simply had to get this out there as soon as possible so we can all begin talking about how "brave" and "unique" their vision is. And I guess they don't exactly trust/respect us enough to find out on our own either. Well, NT, you dun goofed, because now that I know of your special theme, I've honestly lost all interest.

Yep. It's like they're trying to show off how edgy the theme (and thus the game) is.

I'm sure they weren't, but the poor writing and bad framing of the idea makes it feel like this.

Thanks man!

Reckoner

Why ignore them? They are happily atrocious as well, featuring miserable writing, comically awful character archetypes (Enslaved's WOMAN SMART AND AGILE, MAN STRONG BUT DUMB) and all the plot nuance of a shotgun blast to the face.

I know, I know. The altar is getting a little dusty, let me not disturb it.

Yeah

Enslaved is like the Terrence Mallick's Tree of Life video game. It's that deep and interesting, featuring amazing visuals and a strong philosophical support.

AngryMoth

"...through the lens of mental illness." Hmm, that is intruiiging. If that really is a big part of the game I will play it, could be quite interesting.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why ignore them? They are happily atrocious as well, featuring miserable writing, comically awful character archetypes (Enslaved's WOMAN SMART AND AGILE, MAN STRONG BUT DUMB) and all the plot nuance of a shotgun blast to the face.

I know, I know. The altar is getting a little dusty, let me not disturb it.

I don't know why I'm getting into this, but Enslaved's characters were very clearly "man strong and agile and brave" and "woman smart and weak and fearful." And it's not like Monkey was a duh duh idiot, he just wasn't as smart as the techie character and his problem solving approach was more brutish, as you'd expect.

Not saying the story was good but your main point is inaccurate.

injurai

Banned

You people are so petty. Mental illness has been so misunderstood in human history, and that misunderstanding and the affliction itself speaks to the human condition. It's found it's way into literature and lore of all human civilizations. Now a video game, a modern medium. Seeks to explore a character who is confronted by their own illness. It doesn't trivialize or disparage people with mental illness. It's a single depiction of a single fictional character. One thing about schizophrenia is people struggle to separate their grand delusions from the reality around them. They are blurred. Well for the player who isn't Senua, they aren't thinking like her. So her blurred world is depicted through the means in which the video game medium delivers its contents. Through audio and visuals.

It's also a game. It's meant to be fun at a fundamental level. That doesn't mean it's painting illness as fun. In fact it should be obvious just how bleak Senua's experience is. Yet people loved Bloodborne. Which is pretty much an entire game of mental illness and delusion.

tuxfool

Banned
Game made by 2 people whilst developing the entire engine it runs on (not using middleware)
reset_tease_1.jpg

That game looks really impressive, but the visual palette isn't that diverse, and with only 2 people with a custom engine I don't expect otherwise. Also as somebody else stated the two games have very different design goals.

The visuals were what I expected from the dev diarys but the combat wasn't shown to an extent where I can properly judge it. What was there was pretty bland but it seems unfair to critique it with so little shown.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I didn't say it was either a twist or a spoiler. Read my post again.

The point is that it's:

A) bad writing/creative to forcefully highlight a theme of your game
B) especially irrelevant to a reveal trailer. it's not a selling point that your game has a theme of mental health
C) potentially a tasteless way of bringing up a sensitive topic (a random, unprecedented theme in an action-packed trailer)
It's bad writing to highlight the theme of your game...when you're telling people about the development of your game which includes the premise and how that premise affects things such as the gameplay, level design etc? Huh? And no it's not tasteless, they didn't glorify it or anything, in fact, the person that they hired for consulting on mental illness had more to say in the dev diary about the subject being used for Hellblade than the devs while example footage was used in the background. And yes it can be a selling point since mental illness, at least not in this way, is rarely used as the driving force between seamless gameplay and narrative.

It's also a game. It's meant to be fun at a fundamental level. That doesn't mean it's painting illness as fun. In fact it should be obvious just how bleak Senua's experience is. Yet people loved Bloodborne. Which is pretty much an entire game of mental illness and delusion.

Bloodborne is also subtle in it's theme of cosmic horror, nobody knew about it all the way leading to it's release.

Also why Bloodborne? Why not Silent Hill?

Ninja Theory is "Look here! We're tackling mental illness!!". I keep bringing up DmC because just like DmC they're still being heavy handed about it. which fine it's their artistic vision, but they don't exactly have a good track record with these things.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My first thought also. It's as if they just couldn't help themselves; they simply had to get this out there as soon as possible so we can all begin talking about how "brave" and "unique" their vision is. And I guess they don't exactly trust/respect us enough to find out on our own either. Well, NT, you dun goofed, because now that I know of your special theme, I've honestly lost all interest.

As for how it looks as a game? The camera positioning seems awful and the combat, stilted and janky. It looks like an on-rails motion controller fighter masquerading as something more. Here's hoping it turns out a lot better than what this trailer lets on.

I've GAINED all interest due to their "special theme" so I guess they lose some and win some with this message.

You people are so petty. Mental illness has been so misunderstood in human history, and that misunderstanding and the affliction itself speaks to the human condition. It's found it's way into literature and lore of all human civilizations. Now a video game, a modern medium. Seeks to explore a character who is confronted by their own illness. It doesn't trivialize or disparage people with mental illness. It's a single depiction of a single fictional character. One thing about schizophrenia is people struggle to separate their grand delusions from the reality around them. They are blurred. Well for the player who isn't Senua, they aren't thinking like her. So her blurred world is depicted through the means in which the video game medium delivers its contents. Through audio and visuals.

I really don't think NT are being gross here, just naive. A charity endorsing/supporting the project makes perfect sense, this is good visibility and promotion. Being blessed by an expert makes perfect sense as well. As I said before, they don't appear to be going deep enough into their subject matter if they still think this should make a good game. You cannot communicate the feeling of hopelessness, loss of control, and complete distrust in your own mind through a medium based entirely around control and success-states unless you actually try to be honest about it, and I don't think making a game where control is constantly wrested from you and the entire experience accurately communicates what a pointless, miserable interruption of life it is would be particularly enjoyable, though it could certainly be done.

Let's see them make a game where you have to keep your job or your kids will starve and you'll lose your house, but you're stuck in the closet for an hour putting your belt on and taking it off over and over and over again because you accidentally touched the wall with your pants and you have to have the belt pass through only an even number of loops. Once you manage to do that in a way that the character is finally comfortable enough to leave based on some scoring value, they are 30 minutes late, and have to take a fast route to the office, but that forces them to pass by someone riding a bike. If you don't merge into the left lane before passing the guy on the bike, you then have to circle the block 5 times to make sure you didn't hit the guy, even though rationally you know you didn't, and end up an hour late for work. Oh, and you can only make right turns, pressing left on the stick doesn't even do anything.

Could you make a game about mental illness still have success states? Based on these trailers, the general gist seems to be that the game is an allegory for her combating her disease with the end result presumably being overcoming it and defeating her demons. That's at least noble storytelling - if trite - but the only way to do it justice would be to have her persevere and yet still have to wake up the next morning and do it all over again.

Again, they've clearly partnered with some folks to be sensitive about the subject. That's fine. I just think good intentions leading to a product that still looks like a concept that anyone who has watched Session 9 could come up indicates to me they haven't been swayed far from their first idea by their associations, and are just borrowing legitimacy. They've performed due diligence, but this preliminary look doesn't feel they've learned much from it.

Mental illness isn't an aesthetic or a theme, it's a crippling disease. Video games are a special medium and if they are just trying tell stories, that's fine. Again, I like the Silent Hill series. It's tropey too, but it has a diseased feel about it which feels internalized. It's not trying to be anything more than an allegory though. But the impression I got from the dev diary for this is they honestly want this create empathy for the experience of mental illness, and that's not what the product they are showing so far feels like to me. If they do communicate that both in how the game plays and in the story, more power to them, but to be honest about it, it would have to end up a really shitty game to accurately communicate the experience - obvious NT jokes aside.

xaosslug

Huh? Seems like they're using their medium to explore something heavily stigmatized, which is awesome imo. Mental health needs to be put out there more in mainstream.

Pejo

For a gameplay trailer... there wasn't much gameplay.

Unless the game is about getting knocked down and beaten.

Lol this is what my first impression was too. I was expecting to see the player character doing some awesome combos or something, but nope, just getting whooped.

Wow, lots of strong opinions in this topic. I think it looks pretty great and I'm a fan of Ninja Theory so I'm definitely intrigued to see more of this.

PowderedToast

I really don't think NT are being gross here, just naive. A charity endorsing/supporting the project makes perfect sense, this is good visibility and promotion. Being blessed by an expert makes perfect sense as well. As I said before, they don't appear to be going deep enough into their subject matter if they still think this should make a good game. You cannot communicate the feeling of hopelessness, loss of control, and complete distrust in your own mind through a medium based entirely around control and success-states unless you actually try to be honest about it, and I don't think making a game where control is constantly wrested from you and the entire experience accurately communicates what a pointless, miserable interruption of life it is would be particularly enjoyable, though it could certainly be done.

Let's see them make a game where you have to keep your job or your kids will starve and you'll lose your house, but you're stuck in the closet for an hour putting your belt on and taking it off over and over and over again because you accidentally touched the wall with your pants and you have to have the belt pass through only an even number of loops. Once you manage to do that in a way that the character is finally comfortable enough to leave based on some scoring value, they are 30 minutes late, and have to take a fast route to the office, but that forces them to pass by someone riding a bike. If you don't merge into the left lane before passing the guy on the bike, you then have to circle the block 5 times to make sure you didn't hit the guy, even though rationally you know you didn't, and end up an hour late for work. Oh, and you can only make right turns, pressing left on the stick doesn't even do anything.

Could you make a game about mental illness still have success states? Based on these trailers, the general gist seems to be that the game is an allegory for her combating her disease with the end result presumably being overcoming it and defeating her demons. That's at least noble storytelling - if trite - but the only way to do it justice would be to have her persevere and yet still have to wake up the next morning and do it all over again.

Again, they've clearly partnered with some folks to be sensitive about the subject. That's fine. I just think good intentions leading to a product that still looks like a concept that anyone who has watched Session 9 could come up indicates to me they haven't been swayed far from their first idea by their associations, and are just borrowing legitimacy. They've performed due diligence, but this preliminary look doesn't feel they've learned much from it.

Mental illness isn't an aesthetic or a theme, it's a crippling disease. Video games are a special medium and if they are just trying tell stories, that's fine. Again, I like the Silent Hill series. It's tropey too, but it has a diseased feel about it which feels internalized. It's not trying to be anything more than an allegory though. But the impression I got from the dev diary for this is they honestly want this create empathy for the experience of mental illness, and that's not what the product they are showing so far feels like to me. If they do communicate that both in how the game plays and in the story, more power to them, but to be honest about it, it would have to end up a really shitty game to accurately communicate the experience - obvious NT jokes aside.

really great post. not to sound mean, but like everything else from NT so far this just comes across as somewhat adolescent. as soon as you engage in any kind of arbitrary game design that isn't serving the depiction of mental illness (like success states) you're being reductive and harmful. and that's without getting into the actual quality of their execution and articulation on the subject. save it for interactive gallery installations, because that's one of the few spaces where you can avoid those restrictive design expectations.

Top Bottom