• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

helo

I would hope from account to account. You put your game up for sale, negotiate a price with a buyer, buyer pays via XBL - you get a credit to your account minus a percentage for the transaction.

Think eBay. If nobody is selling a used copy of Game X - Game X is only available online as new.

Simplest and fairest way to handle it, IMO.
This would be such a cool feature.

Meier

<3 CBOAT. Always a special place for him (her?) in my heart. Passionately defended him the other day on the Facebook group.

I will trust you to the end of my days, Ser Buttocks.

Couldn't he also just do it imageboard style and type it all out in paint and save it as a .jpg?

Probably some meta data that would be saved into the image that could be trackable. This is how he posts, people just have to deal with it and appreciate what he provides in the manner he provides it.

antitrop

2013 has been the year of the CBOAT.

I mean, getting "play up the shootbang with friends" in 2012 was pretty awesome, but this year has been legendary.

Jack_AG

Banned
This would be such a cool feature.
Thanks. I was thinking as a gamer, what would be the simplest way to handle it? Obviously this is completely contradictory to what MS will actually implement since they think with money first, consumer last.

It would be a wise move to let the market dictate used prices based on demand - I'm sure MS will use the same metrics they applied when designing the DRM mess that told them "this is what gamers want!"

Sad but meh - this is MS. I expect a fiasco.

Haunted

Couldn't he also just do it imageboard style and type it all out in paint and save it as a .jpg?
Sure, plenty of ways to conceal yourself. Though I don't know if images and their metadata are easier to track than a forum post.

I'd say having a GAF account in itself is a bit of risk, but if you want to be taken seriously, you can't just put it on pastebin or 4chan anonymously, there are too many pretenders there. The stability and credibility a known GAF account provides is probably worth the risk.

I would hope from account to account. You put your game up for sale, negotiate a price with a buyer, buyer pays via XBL - you get a credit to your account minus a percentage for the transaction.

Think eBay. If nobody is selling a used copy of Game X - Game X is only available online as new.

Simplest and fairest way to handle it, IMO.

That sounds like a great way of doing things. It won't be the program we get. It would effectively kill new digital game sales. MS would have to set the price and publishers would have to get a cut. Possibly also something would be removed from the game to create differentiation. "New" sales still need to be driven, so total user control (While the ideal, and what I hope we get someday), wont be in the cards.

What's the reason?

Come on folks... If you find this confusing or distressing, that's understandable, but so many of the questions are answered if your just read the thread. It's explained several times even on the previous page.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, you don't need to apologize. Everyone can make mistakes, even if you got the info from a trusted source.

The info about Xbone's digital marketplace sounds nice, though I don't like that it's behind Live Gold's paywall. With any luck they'll actually do that, and hopefully other digital sellers will follow too.

What's the reason?

Even though BRocknRolla is completely right about the facts being answered multiple times in every CBOAT thread, I'll fill you in.

He types like that to avoid being found based on his typing style, AND to avoid being quoted on any major sites, since no website, such as Kotaku or GameSpot, would quote a terribly spelled post that holds no visible credibility (even though we all know his mostly correct history). Both of these are to avoid getting fired from his job, which obviously makes him privy to a lot of details that aren't supposed to get leaked like this.

Even though BRocknRolla is completely right about the facts being answered multiple times in every CBOAT thread, I'll fill you in.

He types like that to avoid being found based on his typing style, AND to avoid being quoted on any major sites, since no website, such as Kotaku or GameSpot, would quote a terribly spelled post that holds no visible credibility (even though we all know his mostly correct history). Both of these are to avoid getting fired from his job, which obviously makes him privy to a lot of details that aren't supposed to get leaked like this.

I figured, but does it have to go as far as it does? I guess you can't be too cautious. Not a big deal, it's just getting worse and worse with each post to the point where I feel like an asshole trying to decipher it.

thumb

Banned

At this point, even if CBOAT could safely stop typing in this weird code-language, I wouldn't want him/her to. It's part of the charm.

joeblow

I figured, but does it have to go as far as it does? I guess you can't be too cautious. Not a big deal, it's just getting worse and worse with each post to the point where I feel like an asshole trying to decipher it.

But you never have to even try to decipher it. Translations are posted in every single CBoaT thread, usually on the first page. In this case, it is in the second post, so why complain?

Thanks for the update based buttocks.

ib0gEBFdEJPwAa.gif

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Things will be fucking crazy if Xbone and PS4 launch the same day. Holy shit.

As for the selling digital stuff... That's super cool. It'd be nice if it panned out but I wot hold my breath.

It would be a frenzy, buses flipped, newborns sacrificed, doors smashed.

But you never have to even try to decipher it. Translations are posted in every single CBoaT thread, usually on the first page. In this case, it is in the second post, so why complain?

Yeah, I agree. Plus, I've never found it that hard anyways. Science says we only need a few key letters to decipher jumbled words, and I find it true, since I can basically read CBOAT's posts with no problems.

badb0y

Sweet, the Xbox One is really turning it around now.

Now just give me a special edition Halo 5 bundle and I am in.

I know this thread is nearly dead, but I wanted to show my new gif and can't think of a better place:

chan%252520cut.gif

Edit: Hmmm...doesn't seem to be displaying. Hmmmm.

Edit 2: Finally got it working ;)

Finalizer

I know this thread is nearly dead, but I wanted to show my new gif and can't think of a better place:

chan.gif

Edit: Hmmm...doesn't seem to be displaying. Hmmmm.

Gaf seems to be too busy collectively melting down at Nintendo's everything at the moment to be bothered right now anyway, lol.

I just want to know what kind of voice should I have in my head when I read this shit? I keep picturing some bumbling guy rambling with a low mumble and a bad accent.

I don't know how I could care so much to know some bit of insider info to bring myself to parse that pretentious code.

Insulting people interest in the gaming hobby (on a gaming hobby forum), and then insulting a great, funny, and proven poster with wording like "pretentious." I have no idea how you consider CBOAT's posting pretentious. Illegible?.. maybe.. pretentious?... not sure if that word means what you think it means.

Insulting people interest in the gaming hobby (on a gaming hobby forum), and then insulting a great, funny, and proven poster with wording like "pretentious." I have no idea how you consider CBOAT's posting pretentious. Illegible?.. maybe.. pretentious?... not sure if that word means what you think it means.

Pretentious was used just fine there.

I may have jumped the gun on the cboat backlash. All in good fun.

heelo

Banned
Here's a more reasonable (and likely) scenario for the sale of used digital games:

- Dev (/publisher) sets a 30-90 "no resale" period whereby used games cannot be traded (date from release, not purchase).

- Dev will set an initial "royalty fee" for the transaction that applies after the no resale period. This might be $40 on a successful AAA title, meaning that the seller will only receive the amount of purchase price beyond that amount (e.g., a $50 sale will net the seller $10).

- Dev will schedule royalty decreases up until a royalty floor (e.g. decrease $10 each 60 days until it hits $10, where it will stay forever).

This makes for a pretty good system for all parties:

- Buyers are able to purchase older games at reasonable discounts that reliably decrease over time.

- Sellers will be able to quickly, conveniently and reliably extract value from their used digital copies of games. Unlike Craigslist/eBay, there's no waiting for an auction to close, dealing with people trying to negotiate the price, wondering if the buyer will show up or pay.

- Developers will be able to recognize a revenue stream from used games, and won't have their full-price game sales completely undermined by the used game marketplace where a used copy is indistinguishable from a new copy.

On first glance, I know that many will think this is a rip-off for the sellers. They're selling their used game for $48, but getting only $8 in their pockets. However, I think that you need to take a second and consider the alternative: If all 3M copies of The Last of Us were out there in digital form, and anyone could sell their copy simply by checking a box on their game console, how much do you think your copy would really be worth? Certainly not the $30 you'll currently get for it on eBay. Only a small percentage of gamers are willing to go through the hassle of listing/selling/shipping their games, but many multiples of that number would be willing to do so if everything were automated and convenient. This would result in a flooded market, and price pressures would significantly decrease the value of your copy.

In a perfectly fluid market with limited scarcity, the real value of a used game is the amount that a person would be willing to forgo to maintain the opportunity to replay that game in the future. Frankly, I think that that price is probably about $5, and I think that's what you'd probably see in the system described above.

sono

Liked the bit about tears it was quite poetic.

What is he saying about the significance of November 15th

How are people so oblivious that they don't realize the whole garbled text is done to obfuscate his typing style and hide his identity? This should be readily obvious to anyone with an inkling of common sense.

He has an audience, and his posts are as messed up as they are because it's a performance. You really think you have to take it that far to hide your typing style, or to make the post illegible enough to not be quoted?

Top Bottom