• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

helo

Gone until 2014? I feel so alone.

A gift from EmptySpace. You'll never feel alone.
kinect-2-glamour-shot-540x270.png

digital re-sell/ trade in sounds great....

yet how does that work... what the difference between a used digital game and a new one

unlike a physical copy a digital copy is just software how can it be used at all?

yet how does that work... what the difference between a used digital game and a new one

unlike a physical copy a digital copy is just software how can it be used at all?

They should overlay dust and scratches on the screen.
But the Instagram generation would probably prefer that.

If there were imposed limitations, such as a limited number of resales, a digital copy's value would degrade over time.

That's just the thing. There is no difference. They would probably take away the term "used". It would be just "in stock". One price for new and traded in digital games.

Sweep14

All praise be unto the saviour of NeoGAF in all his glory. I shall never question thee because thou has blessed us with information from a higher power with absolute #truthfact.

("When he posts things I like." - Obvious members of NeoGAF 2013)

They should overlay dust and scratches on the screen.
But the Instagram generation would probably prefer that.
lol thats harsh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there were imposed limitations, such as a limited number of resales, a digital copy's value would degrade over time.

That's just the thing. There is no difference. They would probably take away the term "used". It would be just "in stock". One price for new and traded in digital games.

okay so its just the available amount of downloads at the time... so its a server issue not a software being inferior issue... makes sense just as long as you get the game cheaper I'm all for it

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well, I'll say. People don't seem to be casting much doubt about the digital marketplace? Funny how CBOAT isn't unreliable now.

I'm casting doubt on it. I think this is going to be like Family Sharing where they claim they're going to do all this stuff but they obviously haven't thought it through and have no idea how they would or could.

gaming_noob

I can see high potential in digital resales...but it doesn't sound too different than Games on Demand. If you sell your game you basically paid a small fee to rent it to play. I think MS is too focused on creating policies this Next gen than new IPs...

I'm casting doubt on it. I think this is going to be like Family Sharing where they claim they're going to do all this stuff but they obviously haven't thought it through and have no idea how they would or could.

Even if they've figured it out, the biggest elephant in the room is convincing the publishers to nod their head on it.

Even Origin's 'refund' is only applicable to EA-published titles only.

It was just a survey. IF the digital second hand marketplace EVER happens, it will be way down the road, not a launch feature.

OTIX

Allowing players to buy "used" digital games makes no sense at all, not for MS and not for the publishers. However a system where they only allow you to sell back your game, without it being sold to anyone else, that could make a lot of sense for everyone. Both MS and the publishers make far more money from a digital sale than a physical one so it is in their best interests to get more people to buy digital. Allowing resales would go a long way towards that and would benefit both even if they have to split the cost of buying back the game. Especially since the money is store credit that will be used to buy new games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Like many others, I just can't wrap my head around how a marketplace can operate with "used" and "new" digital copies occupying the same space for different prices despite being identical products. Perhaps a new form of online pass? Or MS/Pubs control used prices rather than it being left up to peer to peer dealings?

If this comes to fruition, I'll be very interested to know how they solved it.

Allowing players to buy "used" digital games makes no sense at all, not for MS and not for the publishers. However a system where they only allow you to sell back your game, without it being sold to anyone else, that could make a lot of sense for everyone. Both MS and the publishers make far more money from a digital sale than a physical one so it is in their best interests to get more people to buy digital. Allowing resales would go a long way towards that and would benefit both even if they have to split the cost of buying back the game. Especially since the money is store credit that will be used to buy new games.

I've thought about the idea of "selling back" your digital game to the publisher and it still didn't make sense to me. Essentially, the consumer is giving up his/her right to play the game, which holds no value for the publisher (if the game has DLC, it's negative value) so why would the publisher offer any money to that consumer? If it's to encourage them to buy more new games, then that could be accomplished more simply, by slightly lowering the price on new games.

Maybe the "selling back" method would be more efficient, though, because it would be specific to certain users and not a price drop for software across the board. Maybe it's a more plausible idea than I thought.

bluehat9

So how fast can they launch after this November 15 meeting? Within that next week on the 22nd? Tuesday before Black Friday? December?

I think the seemingly unnecessary complexity of making it peer-to-peer is a direct result of the EU used software ruling. I'm not sure a direct trade-in sytem with MS/Sony would satisfy those laws.

Digital game resale would be a game-changer, just huge. So huge I'd switch my pre-order to X1 if they officially announced it before launch with all the specific details and fine print. That's like a dream feature.

SentryDown

If MS really includes digital resale, I'm not sure developers will be ok with it, even if they got a percentage on the trade

OTIX

I've thought about the idea of "selling back" your digital game to the publisher and it still didn't make sense to me. Essentially, the consumer is giving up his/her right to play the game, which holds no value for the publisher (if the game has DLC, it's negative value) so why would the publisher offer any money to that consumer? If it's to encourage them to buy more new games, then that could be accomplished more simply, by slightly lowering the price on new games.

Maybe the "selling back" method would be more efficient, though, because it would be specific to certain users and not a price drop for software across the board. Maybe it's a more plausible idea than I thought.

The publisher gets 70% from a digital sale and something like 40-45%(?) on a physical sale. If they split the buyback fee with MS then they are still ahead, and not every game will be sold back. Also this would reduce the used physical market which means there would be a significant net gain for publishers.

Diablos

CBOAT, just curious -- why do you continue to make your posts so hard to read? Is it in hopes of not attracting your employer, Microsoft (I'm thinking this is your employer), or Sony?

Given that you have basically reached celebrity status on this forum, isn't it kind of silly to keep doing that? I'm sure lots of important people in the industry are well aware of your threads by now...

CBOAT, just curious -- why do you continue to make your posts so hard to read? Is it in hopes of not attracting your employer, Microsoft (I'm thinking this is your employer), or Sony?

Given that you have basically reached celebrity status on this forum, isn't it kind of silly to keep doing that? I'm sure lots of important people in the industry are well aware of your threads by now...

In a perfect world, we would all speak CBOAT

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
cboat
cboat
cboat is on fire
we don't need no water let those crazy buttocks burn

dionysus

Yaldog
Calling it used game sales is just PR speak.

What this system would boil down to is the publisher/MS paying you to give up your digital license. I believe this would be feasible, and I wouldn't be shocked if it is just a credit that has to be redeemed at the MS store. This seems like a win-win.

What I don't think is feasible is having two price points for the same digital item existing in the marketplace. I just don't see when it comes time to implement this that publishers would agree to sell a game for less than they are selling it already digitally. The fact that is a "used sale" is just meaningless for digital sales.

Haunted

cboat is probably one of the most consistent inside sources posting publically (i.e. not disclosing his information to gaming journalists, but directly to the gamers) we've ever had in this industry.

Doing work.

1377697440-156947727419090552c.png

scitek

Yeah, but they can't tell who it is. That's the point.

cboat is probably one of the most consistent inside sources posting publically (i.e. not disclosing his information to gaming journalists, but directly to the gamers) we've ever had in this industry.

Doing work.

1377697440-156947727419090552c.png

Couldn't he also just do it imageboard style and type it all out in paint and save it as a .jpg?

Jack_AG

Banned

I would hope from account to account. You put your game up for sale, negotiate a price with a buyer, buyer pays via XBL - you get a credit to your account minus a percentage for the transaction.

Think eBay. If nobody is selling a used copy of Game X - Game X is only available online as new.

Simplest and fairest way to handle it, IMO.

Top Bottom