• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Comes the Next Xbox {Many Xbox 720 Details - Paul Thurrott article} [Updated]

Izick

The Promise of Pokemon is what sold me a DS. I never cared about any other exclusives, but I enjoy Fable a lot.

A 3D Pokemans that wasn't Colosseum but a legit Pokemans game is the tipping point for me to get a 3DS.

Microsoft needs a new IP to draw people in, I am one of the biggest fans of Halo and Gears out there, but both series have declined this gen and don't have the luster they once had. Maybe Black Tusk's new IP turns out to be as big as they hope? Or maybe one of their other studios they've opened releases the next big hit. I don't really know exactly where it is going to come from, but they do need something big if the next Xbox is going to attract the core market that will be ready day one.

I agree. Halo and Gears can still bring in some numbers, but Microsoft really has to know by now that they're going to need something else to draw new people in again. I think that's going to be a game by either Black Tusk or Rare.

MaulerX

Did anybody listen to Major Nelson's latest podcast?

Interesting comments...

At about 2:55 (as he's reading the announce verbatim) he says:

..."Notice I said GAMES there"...

At about 4:20 he says:

..."yea, I'll be tweeting the headlines, I'm not going to do it line for line, word for word but I'm gonna be giving you guys just the headlines and I can just tell you that I think you're going to like some of them, that's all I can say, can't really say anything more... It's kind of killing me right here"...

Overall he sounded pretty stoked and excited. Just got this feeling they're going to surprise a few people.

Reiko

Banned

Interesting comments...

..."yea, I'll be tweeting the headlines, I'm not going to do it line for line, word for word but I'm gonna be giving you guys just the headlines and I can just tell you that I think you're going to like some of them, that's all I can say, can't really say anything more... It's kind of killing me right here"...

Overall he sounded pretty stoked and excited. Just got this feeling they're going to surprise a few people.

There will be games.

Has to be no always online and used games. He's probably been getting bombarded on twitter and his site with questions about it so I would be dying to talk about it as well.

Interesting comments...

He shouldn't have said anything because we all expect games but I bet he's hearing from the fanbase and media that they've moved into the multimedia sector and forgot about games and wanted to reassure those people that they have games to show.

What I want to know is these games will be exclusives or third party games.

Iacobellis

So, I had a dream. I very weird dream. Pretty much, someone already had the new Xbox. A working retail version in the box, around six months from launch. The system was grey, with the same hourglass shape of the original 360. It was slightly taller, the USB door read "Xbox 720", and the sync button protruded from the console like one of the 360 prototypes. (The one to the left of the middle version).

Xbox360Prototypes.jpg

What made me REALLY excited, though, was that the box was this large, black hunk of cardboard. It was very reminiscent of the box for the original Xbox, with just the logo slowly fading into the black. This made me think, "Damn, Microsoft is getting really serious about games again."

bidguy

Banned
So, I had a dream. I very weird dream. Pretty much, someone already had the new Xbox. A working retail version in the box, around six months from launch. The system was grey, with the same hourglass shape of the original 360. It was slightly taller, the USB door read "Xbox 720", and the sync button protruded from the console like one of the 360 prototypes. (The one to the left of the middle version).

What made me REALLY excited, though, was that the box was this large, black hunk of cardboard. It was very reminiscent of the box for the original Xbox, with just the logo slowly fading into the black. This made me think, "Damn, Microsoft is getting really serious about games again."

you got way too much free time if you start dreaming of consoles

bidguy

Banned
He shouldn't have said anything because we all expect games but I bet he's hearing from the fanbase and media that they've moved into the multimedia sector and forgot about games and wanted to reassure those people that they have games to show.

What I want to know is these games will be exclusives or third party games.

yeah all signs are pointing towards a console with a huge game lineup. phil spencer was tweeting about how important games are for consoles or something
edit : nvm it was exclusives

sorry for double posting.

Mario007

Interesting comments...

Forgive my ignorance but isn't he a PR person for MS, sort-of? I'd be shocked if he wasn't stoked and excited for what they have to show.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh are you telling me the new Xbox has to be powered on to play games? What if my electricity goes out? Thunderstorms don't exist in Washington?

Iacobellis

i still think that rumor is bs.
either way you probably wont hear anything about it till after e3

I feel like Microsoft will address rumors on May 21st, no excuse. The majority of gamers that invest a lot of their time and money into this industry are dying to know what Microsoft is doing with the Durango/720/8/Infinite/Loop. It's a "feature" that could make or break the console in terms of sales.

bidguy

Banned
The Always online rumor isn't baseless isn't it? I don't like at all.

could be the same source feeding everyone false information. there was another leak last month which said that always online would be a feature of the xbox mini not durango. i think thats the case and far more believeable.

@Iacobellis
i think youre right

ascii42

Wii Sports (at launch)
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Galaxy
NSMBW
Twilight Princess (at launch)

We'd need to go back, but I'm pretty sure the Wii received quite a bump when these games were released. There's a couple more I'm sure I'm forgetting.
The others I agree with, but Twilight Princess? I guess it did come out before the GameCube version...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I feel like Microsoft will address rumors on May 21st, no excuse. The majority of gamers that invest a lot of their time and money into this industry are dying to know what Microsoft is doing with the Durango/720/8/Infinite/Loop. It's a "feature" that could make or break the console in terms of sales.

If they're not doing it I think that they'll address it head on. If they are, they're going to be dodgy about it for a while.

Ugh are you telling me the new Xbox has to be powered on to play games? What if my electricity goes out? Thunderstorms don't exist in Washington?

It sucks but it can't be helped, consoles and other electronic devices need electricity to work - you know, they physically need it, it's not an imposed limitation. They don't need to be connected to the internet to work, however.

And there's always UPS.

Note to Microsoft employees: the problem with internet-required DRM isn't just my internet connection being crap, it's also your servers falling over (or worse, getting permanently shut down later down the line).

statham

They should give us the option of using batteries, I have shitty PG&E , power goes out all the time. Then I'm out of luck.
j/k

Epic Drop

Note to Microsoft employees: the problem with internet-required DRM isn't just my internet connection being crap, it's also your servers falling over (or worse, getting permanently shut down later down the line).

Exactly. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be skeptical to the point of not buying the console after the less than stellar examples of "always on" that we have seen over the past year.

Satchel

Banned
To this day I would be legitimately shocked if this console required an internet connection to function.

No doubt it will be Always On though. Which us awesome.

Exactly. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be skeptical to the point of not buying the console after the less than stellar examples of "always on" that we have seen over the past year.

Agree. People absolutely have good reasons to be skeptical. Quite frankly, compared to the rest of the tech industry, the gaming industry sucks when it comes to service reliability.

I'm hoping that over time, the industry can learn how to create services that scale to demand properly, and we can minimize the launch day catastrophes that have been D3 and SimCity. They should be the exception, not the norm.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This announcement isn't getting anywhere near as much hype as I expected. Microsoft's announcement of their announcement seems...muted?

Perhaps to underpromise and overdeliver?

No idea, we're less than a month away and it doesn't seem like it has the same weight and excitement as the PS4 announcement.

This announcement isn't getting anywhere near as much hype as I expected. Microsoft's announcement of their announcement seems...muted?

No idea, we're less than a month away and it doesn't seem like it has the same weight and excitement as the PS4 announcement.

PS4 had the advantage of being the very first next-gen console reveal.

Plus, we're still 22 days away from the reveal. There will be no lack of hype the week of the reveal I'd bet.

gaming_noob

Warm weather here lately so we're all busy outside...at least I am :p

Izick

You can't control your dreams, and there are probably way worse things to dream about!

No idea, we're less than a month away and it doesn't seem like it has the same weight and excitement as the PS4 announcement.*

*on Neogaf

Tyrax

Sony showed off knack and kill zone as the first taste of next gen first party development.
sorry WiiU
that is worth getting people talking about the potential of all next gen.

I'm interested to see what Microsoft chooses to talk about. And how long it will take for Sony and Microsoft to come clean on their used games policies. I don't feel like either has been entirely forthcoming.

Iacobellis

PS4 had the advantage of being the very first next-gen console reveal.

Plus, we're still 22 days away from the reveal. There will be no lack of hype the week of the reveal I'd bet.

Still won't match the hype there was in February. The pages moved quickly, GIF upon GIF. Sony then built on the momentum with their retrospect videos.

jond76

Banned

Any Xbox new news thread is immediately swarmed with Kinect complaints/gifs, always online complaints, etc. Its not worth showing excitement if someone just runs up and kicks you in the balls for you effort.

OrangeOak

It really isn't comparable IMO.
PS4 announcement was unexpected.People were thinking that it will be MS who will announce first.It was also first official word about next gen.
Then after sonys event we had multiple rumours from pretty good sources that next xbox reveal will be in may.Pretty much everyone knew that MS will announce their new console soon.So their recent announcement wasn't suprising and I don't know why anybody should be hyped about it more now than few weeks ago.
I think that hype will be higher closer to the event though.

Mr.Green

Maybe the fact that you're a Sony fan has something to do with it? Just saying...

Wynnebeck

Banned
Are people hyped other places? Gaf doesn't seem alone on the lower than expected hype to me.

Other places I visit online haven't really struck me with crazy hype the way that original Playstation Meeting trailer did. People went insane over that.

Maybe the fact that you're a Sony fan has something to do with it? Just saying...

And here we go. Was waiting for someone to start slinging mud.

Izick

Are people hyped other places? Gaf doesn't seem alone on the lower than expected hype to me.

There seems to be news about it every day; I don't visit other gaming forums. A lot of places seem spooked by some of the DRM stuff, but there's still a lot of excitement on the few other places with comments and stuff.

The only difference is we did't know about Sony's DRM plan until afterwards, and we know of Microdoft's probable one before.

Well, the negative rumors are one thing.

That is all they are though, rumours and I have seen negativity cause momentum in discussion many times before

I'm probably wrong but maybe it's a percentage of fan bases on the forum itself? Not as much interest as other systems for example.

Mr.Green

Other places I visit online haven't really struck me with crazy hype the way that original Playstation Meeting trailer did. People went insane over that.

And here we go. Was waiting for someone to start slinging mud.

That wasn't my intention. I don't think James would even deny that?

He prefers Sony and therefore he was more excited by their reveal. Nothing wrong with that.

gaming_noob

That is all they are though, rumours and I have seen negativity cause momentum in discussion many times before

I'm probably wrong but maybe it's a percentage of fan bases on the forum itself? Not as much interest as other systems for example.

A lot of Halo fans/Forza fans seem to post primarily in the Gaming Community thread. Halo 4 alone has 16 OT threads there (each thread has 20,000 posts).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
That wasn't my intention. I don't think James would even deny that?

He prefers Sony and therefore he was more excited by their reveal. Nothing wrong with that.

My tastes have changed throughout the years, I've gone from a Nintendo fan, to a Microsoft fan, to a Sony fan, to a Nintendo fan, to a Sony fan...truth be told, I'm a fan of all three, just some more than others during different periods of time :)

I wasn't speaking from the perspective of someone who prefers Sony, just the buzz around the announcement in general. Sony had a teaser video, a lead up with lots of nostalgic videos representing the playstation history, tweets of Sony developers excited to show off their new stuff, etc.

The xbox announcement from Microsoft just doesn't seem to have the same gravity at this stage, and it also hurts that most of the news surrounding their system has been negative.

rigel137

Banned

Take a look at techmeme.com. Right now XBox' news is still at the top. Techmeme is very much US centric, but it gives you an idea that good ad and PR will create the hype.

djshauny

Banned
Everyone Ive spoken to about this allways on feature really doesnt like the idea of it at all.

If the announce that it does require a constant internet connection to be able to play our single player games they will lose a ton of customers.

All my mates will go to the PS4 if its indeed true.

Iacobellis

My tastes have changed throughout the years, I've gone from a Nintendo fan, to a Microsoft fan, to a Sony fan, to a Nintendo fan, to a Sony fan...truth be told, I'm a fan of all three, just some more than others during different periods of time :)

I wasn't speaking from the perspective of someone who prefers Sony, just the buzz around the announcement in general. Sony had a teaser video, a lead up with lots of nostalgic videos representing the playstation history, tweets of Sony developers excited to show off their new stuff, etc.

The xbox announcement from Microsoft just doesn't seem to have the same gravity at this stage, and it also hurts that most of the news surrounding their system has been negative.

This times a thousand. Only tweets Microsoft had got Sweet Billy fired.

Top Bottom