• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Comes the Next Xbox {Many Xbox 720 Details - Paul Thurrott article} [Updated]

Seanspeed

Banned
that franchise in total didnt even sell as much as GT5, unless you are looking at those guessworks from VG

GT6 will sell millions of HW in europe though
Have no idea what that has to do with his comment. If you base your purchases on which games sell the most, then ok.

i had no idea people liked forza that much.
Amazing games.

Paul Thurrott is very trustworthy, but he's never made it clear that the next Xbox will need a costant online connection to work, or even to play games for that matter. In reality we don't know anything besides some vague ideas about the feature-set in this next Xbox.
We have some pretty good ideas about things so far. I dont get your point here. So I dont know anything 100%, so what? Its not like I can buy any of these consoles right now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Does it really bother you guys that much that people like Forza? Wow.

Anyways, GT vs Forza shit-throwing competition is for another thread. Mods have suggested you keep it there....

Hindle

Banned
It's a matter of competence and efficiency between the two developers when it comes to Forza and GT. I'm not sure why this is being discussed here though.

Izick

We have some pretty good ideas about things so far. I dont get your point here. So I dont know anything 100%, so what? Its not like I can buy any of these consoles right now.

You said you had already decided, and we don't know anything for sure yet.

Takuya

Banned
The only thing in concrete right now is that there is going to be a new Xbox. What else could someone be basing their decision on that isn't hearsay, however persistent such hearsay is?

Well, then you'd be wrong, because will still know nothing for sure.
You're making the assumption that everyone needs to want to buy the next Xbox. They don't need to, and hence, they don't need to know anything or everything about it. What does it matter to you if they don't want it?

Izick

You're making the assumption that everyone needs to want to buy the next Xbox. They don't need to, and hence, they don't need to know anything or everything about it. What does it matter to you if they don't want it?

It doesn't, all I was saying was that it's silly to decide on something due to rumors and speculation, which what was originally quoted by Seanspeed. If he had said, "I'm probably going with Sony no matter what next-gen." then I wouldn't have said anything.

CookTrain

We're not making that assumption at all. If you don't want to buy because you don't like Xbox, because you think money might be short, because it's a Tuesday, who cares? When you point to rumours and then trot out some "Oh well, that seals the deal for me!"... it makes some of us scratch out heads.

Takuya

Banned
It doesn't, all I was saying was that it's silly to decide on something due to rumors and speculation, which what was originally quoted by Seanspeed. If he had said, "I'm probably going with Sony no matter what next-gen." then I wouldn't have said anything.

We're not making that assumption at all. If you don't want to buy because you don't like Xbox, because you think money might be short, because it's a Tuesday, who cares? When you point to rumours and then trot out some "Oh well, that seals the deal for me!"... it makes some of us scratch out heads.

He said it was based off the rumors being true. Did you read his replies?

CookTrain

I guess I just don't understand why some are tripping over themselves to declare their decision so far out, conditional or otherwise, based on rumours. It happens all over, for all consoles, and I just don't get it.

Takuya

Banned
I guess I just don't understand why some are tripping over themselves to declare their decision so far out, conditional or otherwise, based on rumours. It happens all over, for all consoles, and I just don't get it.

Same can be said for people already planning to buy an unannounced system that they know nothing about. Why? It goes both ways.

Megatron

The subscription price model is actually a good deal if you plan to have live for even one year. $300 for the console plus $240 ($10 x 24 months) equals $540, so you're paying $40 to have live for two years. Even if you can still find XBL cards for $35, the cheapest you'd get all that for is $570, and the MSRP is $620.

Takuya

Banned
The subscription price model is actually a good deal if you plan to have live for even one year. $300 for the console plus $240 ($10 x 24 months) equals $540, so you're paying $40 to have live for two years. Even if you can still find XBL cards for $35, the cheapest you'd get all that for is $570, and the MSRP is $620.

And then perpetual monthly fee to continue using the services.

Just have to look at the hardware sales when Forza launches.

So it's that simple, huh? The only problem with that logic is that GT5 was not a system seller then either, and we all know that's not true. Going by NPD figures (the only reliable monthly figures we have for that period, except for Japanese sales, but GT5 flopped over there), PS3 saw a normal October to November increase (roughly double the October figures, which is expected for November across the board) in November 2010, the month that GT5 launched in (250k -> 530k). Furthermore, PS3 November 2010 sales were lower than its November 2009 sales (530k -> 710.4k), and that was a year that didn't have GT5 as an alleged system seller. The October to November increase was also lower than in 2009 (280k -> 389.8k). It was similar for Prologue which launched in April 2008 (March 2008 to April 2008: 257k -> 187.1k; although it at least did see a YOY increase of 105.1k).

So no, it's far more complex than that, there are many factors to monthly hardware sales, and not all people who would buy a system for a game would do that in the month of its release.

Izick

He said it was based off the rumors being true. Did you read his replies?

I'm saying why I replied to his initial post.

Also, he kind of backed away from that initial post and then said that he can't buy the consoles yet anyway, so the point is moot. All I'm saying is that it's silly to go off of nothing but rumors.

Same can be said for people already planning to buy an unannounced system that they know nothing about. Why? It goes both ways.

Who's that?

I have seen maybe 3 posts in the last half-year of people saying they'd buy it before they knew nothing about it. For the Playstation 4 there were some more people, but then a lot of people said they were on board for that once they saw what was in store after the unveil event.

I don't know if it's that people just like to say things to kill time or what, but most of the time people don't even really stick to what they say until they know what these things actually are. Saying "I'm going to buy that/I'm not going to buy this!" is just kind of crazy when you know nothing about it.

Takuya

Banned
So it's that simple, huh? The only problem with that logic is that GT5 was not a system seller then either, and we all know that's not true. Going by NPD figures (the only reliable monthly figures we have for that period, except for Japanese sales, but GT5 flopped over there), PS3 saw a normal October to November increase (roughly double the October figures, which is expected for November across the board) in November 2010, the month that GT5 launched in (250k -> 530k). Furthermore, PS3 November 2010 sales were lower than its November 2009 sales (530k -> 710.4k), and that was a year that didn't have GT5 as an alleged system seller. The October to November increase was also lower than in 2009 (280k -> 389.8k). It was similar for Prologue which launched in April 2008 (March 2008 to April 2008: 257k -> 187.1k; although it at least did see a YOY increase of 105.1k).

So no, it's far more complex than that, there are many factors to monthly hardware sales, and not all people who would buy a system for a game would do that in the month of its release.

I don't think the U.S. is a good market to compare racers in.

p3tran

Banned
I am ready to buy both systems, unless they fuck up

and by fuck up, I mean any kind of system that will require me to be online to play when I dont want to be online,
any system that will require me to be online with the fucking kinnect scanner connected in order to function,
any kind of system that will deprive my friends (and all other people that are not my friends) who dont have lots of money to spend on games, their right to purchase them used in the free market,
and in general any unannounced system that will try to lessen my rights as a consumer, or even tie them to factors I cannot control.

Izick

I am ready to buy both systems, unless they fuck up

and by fuck up, I mean any kind of system that will require me to be online to play when I dont want to be online,
any system that will require me to be online with the fucking kinnect scanner connected in order to function,
any kind of system that will deprive my friends (and all other people that are not my friends) who dont have lots of money to spend on games, their right to purchase them used in the free market,
and in general any unannounced system that will try to lessen my rights as a consumer, or even tie them to factors I cannot control.

Microsoft and Sony are likely going to use a similar "let the publishers decide" model on DRM though. Are you going to forgo both then if that turns out to be true?

p3tran

Banned
Microsoft and Sony are likely going to use a similar "let the publishers decide" model on DRM though. Are you going to forgo both then if that turns out to be true?

there is a big difference between "system enforced" and "up to the publisher"
in the second case,as long as there is a proper label on the game box, I can live with it and just skip every title that does what I dont like.

I will wait until all details are spilled on the table before letting you know if I will forgo both systems, but in the slim chance that both consoles force systemic drm, then I guess its time to fully rejuvenate the pc front and wait for someone to fill the unavoidable hole in the market

I've been gaming since the late 70's. To see some greedy fuck in 2013 say that he needs more money, when this industry from a strictly "one nerd down in the basement" type has exceeded music and movie industry, is something that just wont fly with me.

in the second case,as long as there is a proper label on the game box, I can live with it and just skip every title that does what I dont like.

I will wait until all details are spilled on the table before letting you know if I will forgo both systems, but in the slim chance that both consoles force systemic drm, then I guess its time to fully rejuvenate the pc front and wait for someone to fill the unavoidable hole in the market

I've been gaming since the late 70's. To see some greedy fuck in 2013 say that he needs more money, when this industry from a strictly "one nerd down in the basement" type has exceeded music and movie industry, is something that just wont fly with me.

That would be why they need more money. Games don't have access to the multiple revenue streams that both music and movies do.

Izick

Was generally curious to know your response. I think avoiding publishers that do this might be the only option for a lot of people, unless they go the PC route as you mentioned.

p3tran

Banned
That would be why they need more money. Games don't have access to the multiple revenue streams that both music and movies do.

ok then, expand to china, dont fuck your existing customer base.
I dont know what kind of people microsoft/sony pay heavy to project the future to them, but if things turn out like you say, it seems to me like money wasted

Forza is not a system seller,when it releases there isn't a notable rise in sales. GT is a system seller,mainly in Europe.

Does it really bother you guys that much that people like Forza? Wow.

Anyways, GT vs Forza shit-throwing competition is for another thread. Mods have suggested you keep it there....
Lol no shit. All this fanboy shit is Fucking stupid. I like both my xbox and ps3 but the sheer amount if super vocal playstation super supporters are making every xbox thread a pain to read.

i dont think forza is a system seller,where is your proof?

Everyone in this thread saying Forza Motorsports 5 will sell them the system. Including me, I will ONLY buy the Xbox Infinity/Xbox 8/Durango at launch if Forza Motorsports 5 is a launch title, or else it can wait till Destiny is released.

Or how about the millions who bought Forza Motorsports 4 and STILL play it religiously to this day.

Forza will sell systems as much as Gran Turismo will.

Everyone in this thread saying Forza Motorsports 5 will sell them the system. Including me, I will ONLY buy the Xbox Infinity/Xbox 8/Durango at launch if Forza Motorsports 5 is a launch title, or else it can wait till Destiny is released.

Or how about the millions who bought Forza Motorsports 4 and STILL play it religiously to this day.

Forza will sell systems as much as Gran Turismo will.
We can call anything a system seller really, I'm sure every game out there could sell at least one person on a platform.

We can call anything a system seller really, I'm sure every game out there could sell at least one person on a platform.

That's true. I only got an Xbox because of Sonic Unleashed. Still the Sony fanboy insecurity shitting every Xbox thread is disheartening, why are some people so afraid of the next Xbox doing great? Isn't competition a good thing? Don't they like Thropies, an online that's not complete ass, and a lot of exclusives? All of those are direct answers to Microsoft stiff competition.

Satchel

Banned

Agreed. God of War isn't a system seller, but it is to me. I bought the PS3 merely for the promise of it.

But statistically I know Forza isn't, and I'm pretty sure GT isn't either. I think Metal Gear Solid 4 was the only actual console seller Sony had this gen. Microsoft only had Halo 3 and Gears 1.

Nintendo had fucking heaps of them.

Agreed. God of War isn't a system seller, but it is to me. I bought the PS3 merely for the promise of it.

But statistically I know Forza isn't, and I'm pretty sure GT isn't either. I think Metal Gear Solid 4 was the only actual console seller Sony had this gen. Microsoft only had Halo 3 and Gears 1.

Nintendo had fucking heaps of them.

Entirely opinion.

I mean nothing nintendo had made me purchase any of their systems. MGS4 sold me a PS3 and I was on board for the 360 for Gears and Halo like you said.

Satchel

Banned
Entirely opinion.

I mean nothing nintendo had made me purchase any of their systems. MGS4 sold me a PS3 and I was on board for the 360 for Gears and Halo like you said.

Wii Sports (at launch)
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Galaxy
NSMBW
Twilight Princess (at launch)

We'd need to go back, but I'm pretty sure the Wii received quite a bump when these games were released. There's a couple more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Microsoft needs a new IP to draw people in, I am one of the biggest fans of Halo and Gears out there, but both series have declined this gen and don't have the luster they once had. Maybe Black Tusk's new IP turns out to be as big as they hope? Or maybe one of their other studios they've opened releases the next big hit. I don't really know exactly where it is going to come from, but they do need something big if the next Xbox is going to attract the core market that will be ready day one.

RPGamer92

Banned
Wii Sports (at launch)
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Galaxy
NSMBW
Twilight Princess (at launch)

We'd need to go back, but I'm pretty sure the Wii received quite a bump when these games were released. There's a couple more I'm sure I'm forgetting.
Also had big bumps in spring 2008 when Smash, Mario Kart, and Wii Fit came out

Top Bottom