• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

kirblar

is it? it's not the champion ship. kinda seems like it's just a bigger roadblock for up and comers.

there's no big steaks when it comes to swapping out bottom tier teams in hgc.
For the teams involved, it's a $10~15K paycheck.

edit: Jhow- "Kenma is an aggressively positioned player". That's the stuff that makes him a broadcaster (unlike Dread, who would be .... much less kind.)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seems all the people I knew that came back for 2.0 are already fading away again :/

Edit: played a couple of games with Li Ming, she continues to be fantastic. Excited to buy her next week.

Zackat

I mean, I have been playing OW more this past week for those skins.

Also, I see Lirik is streaming HotS again. That's pretty cool.

Dreavus

I mean, I have been playing OW more this past week for those skins.

Also, I see Lirik is streaming HotS again. That's pretty cool.

I've been weirdly cold on OW for a while now but I'm still having a good time with HotS. I actually kind of like soloing in hots more, even though it's harder to carry the team. With a group I'm down for either though.

I jumped on for a few free anniversary crates and I think my aim had actually gotten worse, lol.

I gave up OW after 3 days. there's just too few heroes and too many mirrors. I lique uniqueness and Hots nowadays has enough heroes you barely get any repeats in QM.

edit: hopefully no one quoted before my edit.

Maledict

Dissapointed Naventic made it through. That team is a black hole of failure that sucks up talent from NA that could be so better elsewhere.

Seems all the people I knew that came back for 2.0 are already fading away again :/

Edit: played a couple of games with Li Ming, she continues to be fantastic. Excited to buy her next week.

Eh, most of them played for OW skins and loot boxes, hell Nexus challenge is the overwatch event for them , not for HOTS players.

Some of my "OW friends" already moved to WoW or Heartstone

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Eh, most of them played for OW skins and loot boxes, hell Nexus challenge is the overwatch event for them , not for HOTS players.

Some of my "OW friends" already moved to WoW or Heartstone

I actually meant the posse I used to run HotS with back in '15, including a couple of real life friends :/

Morales is like Mercy but somehow even more boring to play and cancer to play in QM because NO ONE WILL PROTECT YOUR USELESS ASS WHILE YOU TRY TO KEEP THEM ALIVE AND ONLY DIE FOR YOUR TROUBLES

ahem

Rhaknar

Morales is like Mercy but somehow even more boring to play and cancer to play in QM because NO ONE WILL PROTECT YOUR USELESS ASS WHILE YOU TRY TO KEEP THEM ALIVE AND ONLY DIE FOR YOUR TROUBLES

ahem

except if shes on the enemy team, in that case its impossible to get to her because she has 2 tanks and 2 assassins always covering her.

Prelude.

So Kripp is having the same issue as that user here a few days ago, that leveling up that many character for playing ranked is "stupid" and takes too long. Even though he's horrible at the game but plays with quich cast and locked camera, and actively ignores the objective, he wants to play ranked, lul.

Rhaknar

So Kripp is having the same issue as that user here a few days ago, that leveling up that many character for playing ranked is "stupid" and takes too long. Even though he's horrible at the game but plays with quich cast and locked camera, and actively ignores the objective, he wants to play ranked, lul.

where have you been hiding lately?

Dahbomb

I mean I play with Quick Cast too and a lot of players do I would imagine (it's objectively faster).

Locked camera is lame though.

And Ranked play is when you get to actually be in the drafting process of games which is how these games are actually designed to be played as. I guess he can do that in Unranked too but he probably just wants to get the Ranked/try hard experience.

Incoming kripp rant video about how that is wrong and his bandwagon followers all believe it.

I thought quick cast is pretty standard. Did you mean without quick cast?

Locked camera on the other hand seems bad although I've never tried it.

Prelude.

He literally just started playing and he's using Li-Ming with quick cast and locked camera.
Quick cast is the last thing you want to turn on if you never touched a moba in your life. (He said he played in the beta, but still)

I mean, he's missing even the towers because he doesn't know the range of his abilities.

where have you been hiding lately?
Just busy with other stuff, so I didn't wanna put too much time into the battle.net sinkhole, lul.

Dahbomb

I think if you haven't played MOBAs before then playing on Quick Cast is fine.

Quick Cast is a problem when you are coming from other MOBAs/RTSes/ARPGs WITHOUT Quick Cast and suddenly you turn on Quick Cast. That's not a quick jump you can make, you need to ease yourself into it. First you need to get super familiar with the game, then particular heroes and then start using Quick Cast on your familiar heroes.

And only have Quick Cast on some abilities. In some cases you don't want your Ult to be on a quick cast because you can very easily misclick it.

Prelude.

Well, I didn't play any other MOBA either, I just meant that he's not used to play games where you don't stare at cards. But anyway, quick cast is terrible for a new player, he's probably disliking a lot of characters simply because of that.

Dahbomb

Well, I didn't play any other MOBA either, I just meant that he's not used to play games where you don't stare at cards. But anyway, quick cast is terrible for a new player, he's probably disliking a lot of characters simply because of that.
He is more famous for his exploits in Warcraft, Path of Exile and Diablo. He has made numerous world firsts in those games. Kripp the card game player is just a recent thing.

Prelude.

He said he's not used to move the camera so that's why he's keeping it like that. So far he's not really improving, but he might just not care about quick match since he's getting carried by some of his viewers. "The objective? Nah, they're good without me" as he keeps pushing the lane with Uther.

Kioshen

Kharazim is the most fun support in the game by far. Just did another zero death game and I out healed a malf and tyrande combo by 20k alone.

Rhaknar

I dont understand MMR in a team game. How can you be faulted for something you are only 1/5 a part of? I just lost 3 games in a row where I was the mvp for 2 of them (whatever, it means I did shit at least) with Li Ming, who I consider myself to be at least decent with.

Like, Ill give you those Medivh games for example, I was poop with him. But these games with Li Ming where Im trying so hard, borderline carrying, and yet I keep losing, how does one get over that?

I'm not even that fussed, or salty (at least with these Li Ming games), I mean its not like the videos I see from higher MMR in QM are much better tbh (lol) but I just dont understand the concept I guess? Like I understand it in a fighting game, thats 1 on 1, you go up and down as you win or lose. Or Hearthstone, again, 1 on 1.

Dreavus

Isn't the quick cast style how they do it in PoE/Diablo sort of? Sounds like Kripp is new but it doesn't seem like it'd be that bad to pick up unless I'm missing something?

I played with normal casting for a long time because I was coming from a dota/hon background and always stuck to the old school wc3 casting style.

After playing a crap ton of Battlerite (which is quick cast for everything) I decided to switch over to quickcast for hots and haven't looked back. Only time it's messed me up is stuff like cancelling a butcher charge, but otherwise I think it's helped my combo game on a lot of heroes.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hanamura is the only time the scoreboard can look like this and it's still a crushing victory for your team.

Qw6ytaC.png
All we did was constantly block them from moving their cart by running in and harassing for 20 seconds until dead then some one else would run in and do it all while destroying their keeps and dumping missiles. We still had 4hp on our core when they were at 0.

I really hate this map.

Alur

Level means nothing in general. It's looking at your actual MMR. You could be master level with 75 levels on your account or bronze with 1400. Sub-100 it's something to take note of, at times, but even then that is muddy with smurfs.

Damn, 6 heroes from chests already. The game has been very generous in that regard. I only have a few more heroes to get before I have all the ones I like.

For ranked play, how many heroes of each type should I be comfortable using? I main tanks, but I know I won't always be needed as a tank.

Your cart fires an additional missile per keep destroyed. You can wipe them out so fast if you know that and they dont.
Oooooooohhh! That is very important!

Good to godawful depending on the map.
What would make him godawful? I had moderate success with him, but since team fights were basically 4v5 outside of my ult, having one bad player meant a loss. I had a ton of success with Leoric tonight - I was totally off about Wraith Walk before. I love it now. His march ult seems really hard to make good use of, though.

Goddamn why is the matchmaking putting me against people 10 times my level
Even on day 1 I was facing experienced players. -_-

Dahbomb

There is always a need for tanks/bruisers. Usually you need two frontlines from the look of things. As opposed to ranged Assassin which you only need one of.

Usually it's a Bruiser, Tank, Sustained Damage Assassin, Heal Support and Sieger. Sometimes you can pick an Ambusher like Zeratul with another sustained damage assassin.

But it always depends on the map.

What would make him godawful? I had moderate success with him, but since team fights were basically 4v5 outside of my ult, having one bad player meant a loss. I had a ton of success with Leoric tonight - I was totally off about Wraith Walk before. I love it now. His march ult seems really hard to make good use of, though.
Abathur is a hero that wins games by attrition. It puts subtle pressure on lanes over time and gives marginal utility to heroes.

That means Abathur is bad on smaller maps but really good on larger 3 lane maps.

He is a super situational hero and definitely not a pub hero. You kinda have to build your line up with him and the map in mind.

Gotchaye

I dont understand MMR in a team game. How can you be faulted for something you are only 1/5 a part of? I just lost 3 games in a row where I was the mvp for 2 of them (whatever, it means I did shit at least) with Li Ming, who I consider myself to be at least decent with.

Like, Ill give you those Medivh games for example, I was poop with him. But these games with Li Ming where Im trying so hard, borderline carrying, and yet I keep losing, how does one get over that?

I'm not even that fussed, or salty (at least with these Li Ming games), I mean its not like the videos I see from higher MMR in QM are much better tbh (lol) but I just dont understand the concept I guess? Like I understand it in a fighting game, thats 1 on 1, you go up and down as you win or lose. Or Hearthstone, again, 1 on 1.

Not trying to sort out individual contributions to a team outcome has a couple of big advantages over any other method. Mainly, it's not game-able. Players who want to get their MMR up should do everything they can to make sure their team wins, period. And that's what you want them to be doing. Also, this method definitely moves people's ratings in the right direction over many games -- if you are actually helping your team win more than the system expects you to then your rating goes up. Barring something really weird going on in the way the game responds to player skill or in the way the matchmaking is set up, it will get everyone's MMR right eventually and keep everyone properly incentivized to play well. It just might take a while.

You could almost certainly take all of the games that have been played and machine-learn a system for updating people's MMR after games on the basis of individual performance that would get almost everyone to where they're supposed to be much faster. But if you try to apply this going forward, you risk people figuring out how it works and tailoring their play to maximize their own MMR rather than to maximize their team's chance of winning. As a simple example, if your system gives a lot of weight to kills then you have a lot of reason to just wander alone all the time trying to pick people off. Your teams might lose more but you'll end up looking pretty good. This also might not put people where they ought to be, even after many games. There may be holes in your system such that you're not recognizing certain sorts of valuable individual contributions. Like, you could imagine a really simple system pretty much always deeming healers to not have contributed much. People who tend to contribute in these ways don't see their MMR improve, and this is bad for them and also leads to worse matchmaking.

Top Bottom