• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba clarifies rumors about Tales of Symphonia HD

Prevailer

JPGAMES.DE: Tales of Symphonia was the first-ever Tales of game to be released in Europe. That’s why it still has a lot of fans among Europeans. Now, there have been some rumors lately, even on Japanese sites like Hachima, that there might be a HD remake of Symphonia and Ratatosk no Kishi in the works. Is there anything you can tell us about this?

Hideo Baba: To be quite frank… I was at Expomanga in Spain last week and everyone was enjoying the event, and then I heard from fans “I heard rumors about a Tales of Symphonia Perfect Edition. Is that true?”. Actually, I was the one surprised by that! (laughs) That fan then said that it’s the 10th anniversary of Tales of Symphonia in Japan this year, and I just said that there might be something coming, as a celebration. But it will be more like a “Tales of Café” or an event at NamcoCon… but we actually have no plans yet, there are only ideas. We can’t really say anything before announcements are made and it’s always a bit surprising when people ask us about rumors like that. It would be best to just wait for new information [about Tales of Symphonia’s 10th anniversary]. Before we announce something, a rumor is just a rumor after all (laughs).

via http://jpgames.de/2013/05/hideo-baba-clarifies-rumors-about-tales-of-symphonia-hd/

Heyt

Banned
When the original spanish source posted the teased interview with Baba, the matter was brought up by the interviewers, not Baba himself. So Baba never talked or insinuated the game, he just acted surprised and doged the question.

Jay Sosa

Vastly overrated game anyway..

like someone here said: People only loved it cause besides BK/0 (which is waaaay better) it was the only RPG on the GC (besides the SOA remake).

kewlmyc

So I might actually win the bet? Woot! Then again, most developers usually lie about rumors being false, then announce it right after. When is Tales Festival again?

Helloween

Being from the UK, this was my first Tales game. While I feel the others such as Abyss and Vesperia have surpassed it as this point, i'd still love to give it another pop in like, shinier stylee

Heyt

Banned
I really would like this game to happen, but I really don't think it's going to happen based on Baba's words. "Please look forward to future Tales announcements" would be the kind of statement that would make me inclined to believe the rumor, but as now, I don't.

But Baba is used to lying to people so... hmm

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If it's true, I wonder how high the chances will this game get localized because:

- Both games are already in English
- It's gonna be a Tales filled year for Western fans according to Baba

Jay Sosa

Didn't people like Crystal Chronicles?

Back then? Hell no. Nowadays it's probably one of the greatest RPGs ever(also called the Wind Waker effect). I'll never understand how that works. Either a game sucks or not.

Not saying TOS sucked, it was just unmemorable.

TDLink

Back then? Hell no. Nowadays it's probably one of the greatest RPGs ever(also called the Wind Waker effect). I'll never understand how that works. Either a game sucks or not.

When it came out my friends and I would all get our GBAs and link cables and play it for hours. We definitely loved that game. We played for months and still never actually beat the final area. Still holding my breath for a new (true) Crystal Chronicles game, especially now that handheld connectivity is easier with 3DSes and the Wii U pad.

Jay Sosa

When it came out my friends and I would all get our GBAs and link cables and play it for hours. We definitely loved that game. We played for months and still never actually beat the final area. Still holding my breath for a new (true) Crystal Chronicles game, especially now that handheld connectivity is easier with 3DSes and the Wii U pad.

All I remember is that people were pissed that it wasn't a 'real' FF.

Symphonia was a good game but man did they have the worst animation department...or at least the worst in-engine cutscene animation? I just remember stuff flying around with absolutely no acceleration or impact whatsoever, like a first week animation student playing with 3D Studio Max.

Paracelsus

I hope it's a substantial visual improvement (no hideous saturated look like WW please) because you can dolphin the game just fine at this point.

So did the PS2 version introduce any new skits of script that would have to worked on?

Fun Gamecube ToS facts. Font-wise the European versions used a different font to the American versions. Sadly the European versions are 50Hz only (all in-game actions run slower including the time for determining play time)...unless you have a modchip that can force 480p in which case they are the only 480p version.

Symphonia was a good game but man did they have the worst animation department...or at least the worst in-engine cutscene animation? I just remember stuff flying around with absolutely no acceleration or impact whatsoever, like a first week animation student playing with 3D Studio Max.
It was the first fully 3D Tales of game so it may well have been the bolded.

RPGCrazied

Sure does like beating around the bush. Just yes or no? :p Well, at least something is coming, whether it be ToS HD or something else.

Vastly overrated game anyway..

like someone here said: People only loved it cause besides BK/0 (which is waaaay better) it was the only RPG on the GC (besides the SOA remake).

It has very disagreeable main leads (Lloyd and Colette, ugggh), but pretty much everything else is great. I'm a fan of the Tales series in general -- though I'm suffering Tales-fatigue atm -- and I'd consider Symphonia one of the best.

Effect

Didn't people like Crystal Chronicles?

I don't believe so. Not at the time. To properly play it required to much of an investment (money) and to many people I believe. Or at least seemed like it did. It's one of the reasons I didn't even bother with it back then. The number of people I think that really got what was intended out of the game was small. I always felt it was a game purely designed with Japan in mind. It also smelled of pure spin off and that's never a good thing. Which is what it was and what people wanted was a regular "real" Final Fantasy game and that simply wasn't it. Which is why I believe Baten Kaito and Tales of Symphonia got significantly more attention and are looked back on more fondly.

Prevailer

If you're interested, here is the full interview for your reading pleasure.
http://jpgames.de/2013/05/our-interview-with-tales-of-producer-hideo-baba-2/

Some tidbits:

Baba: (laughs) Well, I really like RPGs and fantasy… and when it comes down to it, Lord of the Rings is the origin of all that. So I’d really like to make a open field high fantasy RPG like Skyrim or Dragon’s Dogma with such a story. Actually, I’m good friends with Kobayashi-san who produces Resident Evil and Dragon’s Dogma for Capcom and I go out and eat with him sometimes. And when I did and he told me that he would be developing Dragon’s Dogma, an open world fantasy game, I was really jealous of him!

Baba: (laughs) Well… about that… at the current stage, I really can’t tell you anything about that. About the fact if there will be something great at the Tales of Festival… who knows?

Top Bottom